Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

55 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bloody hell, I'd be having a word with old mate I think, that's ridiculous holding up the field just to look for balls in a dam. What a muppet!

the guy doesn't get it , he has been told, obeys for a week or 2 then goes back to old habbits...

The problem is his golf ball never  goes near the dams  , yet he heads straight to the hazareds even if his golf ball is in middle of fairway .    i have played with this guy once but  he only looked in 1 dam  as we just left him  there  and he soon realized we wasn't going to  wait while he looked   

my Club dont muck around  if they dont like it, they tell you straight to ya face  and it may not be in the sweatest manner  (no not fisty cuffs)

• Like 1

Sounds like he needs it put more sternly lol. I've never heard of anything like that, that's crazy stuff 🤣 

I don't even bother picking up random balls in the rough, I have the ones I like to use so unless it's one of them it can stay there. Half the time it's someone's ball from another hole anyway so obviously I wouldn't pick those ones up regardless. 

• Like 1

Wednesday Comp, Stroke.

The batteries died on my Trike, so I had to ride with a mate in his cart, not ideal but only way I could play.

(I've ordered a new sit on golf buggy)

After the wayward crap rounds I've had lately, I wasn't confident, light rain falling as we started.

Played steady golf for most of the day, three under after nine, three over on the back nine, to finish even par.

Highlight was a cracker of a 3 wood, after a short drive, 235m out, can't reach from here!

Hit a cracker and put it on the green, next to the Vice Captain! We had a laugh about it later so got away with that one.

Low light was heeling my second shot on the last, to push it across the fairway, shanked my next to the side of the green, Bladed the next over the green, finished with a 7 on the par 4, on a hole which i expect to par and would have been good enough to win the day, if I did par it.

Golf

• Like 4

Good stuff mate, nice to see a good round, it seems like it's been a little while. 

I'm looking forward to my 3 days of golf coming up from tomorrow. Sunday I am playing with the social club for the first time this year, I missed the previous two games, one because I couldn't be bothered getting up early on my holidays, and the other I was just getting home not long before I'd have had to wake up 🤣

I'm interested to see what handicap they have me playing off, last year I was off 16 or 14 at the last game I played, I've looked on the GA app for the course we're at and I should be off 8 there now. That could change depending on how I play tomorrow and Saturday but it would only be a shot either way anyway.

• Like 4

Well two crap rounds and one half decent one for the three this week. Friday was really hot and humid, and it did get to me a bit so I wasn't at my best there, also they've finally sped up the greens again so took a bit to get used to them being quicker again. 

278544649_Screenshot_20230203_165607_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f5fe4bbbb442a46c954af03db1a7d221.jpg

Yesterday was a complete dumpster fire. It was supposed to be similar weather to Friday, but instead it decided to rain. The cooler temperature was nice, but the rain decided to start just as we did (off the 10th), and didn't bugger off until 14, after I'd taken five shots to get out of a bunker thanks to the rain making the sand harder and compacted. Bloody club just kept bouncing off it 🤬 and naturally the grips were like soap so that didn't help either. Just put me in a crap mood and out of sorts for the day, so a pretty rubbish start to the champs. 

1137101554_Screenshot_20230204_182044_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.73925a98bfe94143327ea3cde762a7f5.jpg

Today I was with the social club and it was a better round although not without its silly errors at times. Nice to play the 8 holes I hit the green in regulation in -1 though. I played off my proper handicap for my own records, they still had me off 16 which is pretty ridiculous really but anyway. I came third with a nett 65 and lost a stroke so it'll still be way too high at the next game 😂 hopefully I can take advantage again. Got a ball for a nearest approach on 10, and two more for the place. Unfortunately they're crappy "soft feel" balls that I'll never use, maybe when I collect enough I can sell them lol

1609695023_Screenshot_20230205_110934_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a18c715362a947273e161b54865fdbd3.jpg

• Like 3

played 3 consecutive bad rounds  which finished today

Wednesday was a long day played with one of the clubs slowest golfers and a new comer that had 130 of the stick
which gave me a net 77 playing of 22  in the midweek medal

Saturday seen medal and the start of the summer cup.  my group nearly had a punch on with the group behind  as they thought we was being slow  as a group of 4 and they was a group of 2 but we was keeping up with the group in front that was a 3 and there was 3 other groups right in front , but 1 of the smart Allicks deliberately picked the smaller person out of our group  to have ago at.   we ended up saying  to them where you going if you get in front of us are going to give them a hard time as well   anyway we called them through after the 18th .   however it was a bad day of golf finish 79 net off 22

today had a 97 of the stick but felt like a don bradman type game didn't worry about handicaps as it was with social group was a fun day but  my iron shots was just total crap

hopefully Wednesdays comp will be better  

• Like 4

Sounds like you had a bit of a mixed bag but overall, a decent outing on the course. I'm sure we've all had those shanked shots that make us wanna pull our hair out, but that's all part of the game, right? Haha.
That 3-wood shot, though, sounds like a proper belter! And glad you had a laugh with the Vice Captain about it. Golf can be a funny game sometimes, isn't it?
And speaking of golf, have you considered a golf break in the UK? Get away from it all and enjoy some quality time on the fairways. Check out golf breaks in uk for some amazing golf holiday packages, mate.

Edited by rubidius

Bloody rubbish again yesterday. This time the weather was perfect but we got stuck behind a group of muppets who just mucked around the whole round, they were pretty crap at playing which was bad enough but all the unnecessary criss crossing in their carts and leaving playing partners on the other side of the fairway etc. just did our collective heads in. None of our group really played well at all, couldn't get into a rhythm, ball striking was pretty ordinary for the most part as well. The best part of my game was probably getting out of bunkers, unusually 🤣

I had the feeling it'd be slow when one of them duck hooked his tee shot about 80 metres on our first hole (started on 10), and he didn't do much better through the rest of the round. I started horrendously, partly because of all the waiting around for these clowns, partly just crap luck with trees, and one shot a leaf blew over the ball in my downswing 🙄 I somehow still struck that one really well but it was about ten metres off line as a result of being put off. I had at least half a dozen lip outs as well. GA unchanged however, as I have yet to drop off a flag round. 

The day I first broke 80 was actually slower than yesterday, but it didn't annoy me that day. I think it was because the groups in front weren't mucking around wasting time, they were having to wait as well due to a group somewhere further down playing slow. When you're constantly watching the group ahead faff about like they were yesterday it's different and it is annoying.

Today I'm playing at the Brisbane GC, which is a bit of a fancy members only club. My best mate has a mate who is a member so he booked us in. I'll probably play in the comp as well, be good to get another different course on my GA. Hopefully the pace of play is a bit better 😜

1547424530_Screenshot_20230211_184310_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8f96cb20a6dd73752ff4386c3523ff46.jpg

• Like 2

Yep, Kelsey I know how you feel.  The number of times you wait for the group in front, then when you do play your shot it doesn't make the distance.  Luckily we don't have that much of that problem here although we do have a group in carts that seem to think it is their right to play through any time they want. 

No golf for me this week. The mother in law has just gone into a nursing home so I had the day down in @DavidM 's backyard in Goolwa.  Nice weather down there, he should have shot the lights out yesterday.  😎

• Like 3

Yeah, if it happens sporadically through a round it doesn't bother me much, I take the opportunity for a little rest, but when it's almost every shot it gets frustrating. I can't get my "eye in" because the gap between shots is too long so my ball striking suffers. 

The other week I waited about ten minutes for a group on a par 5 green as I was only about 190 from the front of it and could easily reach it. When they finally buggered off I promptly pushed the shot into a tree, luckily it bounced back into the fairway but that long wait really didn't help. 

• Sad 2

Kelsey   we all get you , but just remember 1 thing though some of these wayward type golfers dont alway faff about  , but some do as well and i also think some  good golfers  can faff about way to much as well   specially when they think they are the next Cameron Smith of the golfing world     

carts can be a good thing and they can be a hindrance , i would much rather walk  then cart but my  aching back from truck driving many years and my knees and calf muscles just wont allow me to walk the course and if i walked it would be a 10 hour round instead of a 4 and half hour round.

but slow group should have let ya play through specially if they was losing the sight of the group in front of them

Well interesting week of golf  which was total crap 

Wednesdays golf  instead of the normal  group of 3's played in group of 4   and we had a guy  that was hooking and slicing  pretty bad but heck he didn't muck around   if he couldn't find it  he wiped it     and we  finished with in  31/2 hours which wasn't bad and we was catching a group of 3   which took them another 2 hours  to finish after us

Friday was no scoring just a quick 9 with a mate  and wasnt bad rd but not good either 

Saturday well was interesting hitting the ball very well but just couldn't score well  but over all the day was good and hardly anyone on course  as  most members was a way playing golf at tocumal

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GregT5 said:

o golf for me this week. The mother in law has just gone into a nursing home so I had the day down in @DavidM 's backyard in Goolwa.  Nice weather down there, he should have shot the lights out yesterday.  😎

Yes it was a Nice day for Golf, bit noisy with the power boats roaring about, they don't do it often.

Played fairly steady most of the day, lot's of crap shots followed by a beaut to save the hole, or the other way around.

Ended up on 31 with two holes to play, wiped the 17th and mucked up the 18th to only get a point.

A very disappointing 32 and to rub it in, I was the first loser in the ball run down!

Played some good shots, just need to make it more often..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah I know wayward hitters don't always muck around but this lot certainly did. Hopefully I won't have the misfortune to get stuck behind them again. 

I played equally garbage today but I still enjoyed myself for the most part, some of it would have been because I've never played there before, but a lot was just bad swings. Different course, good company I suppose makes a difference. We teed off on 10 so back 9 first. It was pretty bloody hot, a few of the bad swings were from club slippage. I also somehow lost a ball I'd piped down the middle of the 15th fairway, turning a good chance at par into a wipe. That annoyed me a bit. My short game and putting were pretty good outside of a couple of 3-putts, and I really enjoyed the greens there. At least I made one birdie 😂 and a pretty kickarse par save on 14 after hitting my tee shot into the forest, then sinking a long uphill breaking putt. 

GA still unchanged at 8.9, but I only have one more round to go before the flags start dropping off so I need to find some form on Saturday. 

2125968029_Screenshot_20230212_171500_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.33b56f992a2fbd7891957beb1b20ceba.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

Played with the Vet's today at McCracken golf club, not my favourite but it's a game.

Started with the usual up and down but kept a steady score going.

Three nearest to the pin prizes  up for grabs and I wrote my name on all three! Never done that before.

Made it to the end with a score of 35 points, my highest for a fair while!

Held on to two of the pin prizes, oh well, also third in my grade. Not a bad day out.

Hope I can hold it together for Wednesday..

Golf

• Like 4

Sounds like a McCracken day 😜

I'm putting my recent form slump down to the ridiculous hot and humid weather lately along with going back to work and playing/practising less frequently. Probably not getting enough sleep through the week which could be affecting it too, gonna make myself go to bed earlier this week and see if it helps by the weekend. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd much rather do straight shifts but they don't pay enough. 

Yes, same when I was Working, I lived close enough to go home or the Gym, even windsurfing if it was windy enough.

Make the best of what you have..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yes, same when I was Working, I lived close enough to go home or the Gym, even windsurfing if it was windy enough.

Make the best of what you have..

Yeah, I'm close enough to go home too, so usually I just do small bits and pieces around the house. I like to have a nap to recharge for the second half so that takes precedence over most other things other than having lunch. Most days I have enough time to do a small chore but not enough to get to the course to practise. The long breaks I use for practice unless it's raining though. 

• Like 3

Wednesday Comp: Forecasted to be32, made it to 35c by the end of the round!

Kept my good form from the Monday game and opened up nice and steady for the first 7 holes, before slicing one on the par 3 8th, lipped out my last shot to wipe the hole. Pared the next to turn at 19 points.

Wiped the 11th as well with another sliced iron! steady play from there and finished with 18 for a total of 37 points. A low scoring game with the outright winner only having 38 points, left me to win my grade!

Highlight of the day was standing next to my mate/playing partner, He hit his approach to the 18th from 130m it bounced just in front of the green and rolled up close, then fell into the Cup for Eagle 2, nice shot.

• Like 3

Nice round mate! 

I went to do some practice yesterday but the range was closed for a fitting day. It would have reopened but by that time too late. Instead I did some chipping and putting practice so as to not waste a trip there. If the on course greens are anything like the practice green then it might be a good day tomorrow. It was taking spin really well, and rolling nicely too. 

• Like 2

Finally found a bit of form today in the third round of champs. It won't make any difference to my chances of doing anything in said champs but nice to play better again, aside from a couple of disasters on the back 9. I lost my tee shot on 11, had to go back and hit another one which I promptly sent the other side of the fairway into the hazard. I was pleased that I didn't let it affect me though, parring every hole after that apart from 18. Actually had a great run going from 7 through 17 apart from that 11th. My tee shots were a lot better, as were the approaches for the most part, short game and putting was pretty good too. Avg drive 249m, longest was this 275m effort on 10.

GA went down a bit to 8.7, so I'll need a decent round next Saturday as well, as a flag round is coming off then. Tomorrow I'm playing with the social club off 15, I just checked the daily handicap for the course, I'd be off 7 if it was a comp round 😂😂

1637851181_Screenshot_20230218_182132_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.31d5ef9d4d7efdda90d7b01103373f46.jpg

• Like 3