Coopers Community

weird things in brewing we say the gets on ya wick

ozdevil

Hey all

like the topic the weird things we say  that gets on ya wick

I often  read people say

I put down a pale ale  this afternoon

the reason it gets on my wick it starts making me think of death of your pet

eg i had to put down pour old fluffy this arvo  and we had so many good meories before fluffy passed

to me it sounds negative and i dont really have a huge problem with it as i  know what the intentions are

So whats your weird things in brewing that people say that gets on your wick

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Hey all

like the topic the weird things we say  that gets on ya wick

I often  read people say

I put down a pale ale  this afternoon

the reason it gets on my wick it starts making me think of death of your pet

eg i had to put down pour old fluffy this arvo  and we had so many good meories before fluffy passed

to me it sounds negative and i dont really have a huge problem with it as i  know what the intentions are

So whats your weird things in brewing that people say that gets on your wick

Ahahaha that got me 😂 

• Like 1

There are a couple of things that once really annoyed me but now pretty much let it slide. 

However the one that I really dislike is:   No need for a hydrometer or temperature control just leave it for 14 days then bottle it.  It is usually followed by "I have been doing Woolies cans and sugar that way for 30 years and there is nothing wrong with my beer ".  

I know I shouldn't judge but if that is the only experience you have you should not give advise.    It is like giving travel advise to people and the only place you have been is Bali and that was on a Con Tiki tour in 1990. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

One of my pet hates is bad spelling & grammar particularly in sentence construction.  I realise nobody is perfect & human error is acceptable & for the record I am not having a go at anyone.

My background in Advertising, compiling my own projects, graphics etc & proof reading before printing anything has made me a little critical. It is only natural to make the odd mistake unless you are an astronaut or something.  I find sometimes to try a follow someone's line of thinking whilst reading is a bit awkward.

• Like 1

Well as I said I wasn't having a go at anyone, I meant more in general terms, I agree about the predictive text but in the days of the earlier Nokia's it was virtually impossible to send a text, you would end up with a totally different message every time.

But it's much more gooderer with the new fones I fink. 🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

One of my pet hates is bad spelling & grammar particularly in sentence construction.  I realise nobody is perfect & human error is acceptable & for the record I am not having a go at anyone.

My background in Advertising, compiling my own projects, graphics etc & proof reading before printing anything has made me a little critical. It is only natural to make the odd mistake unless you are an astronaut or something.  I find sometimes to try a follow someone's line of thinking whilst reading is a bit awkward.

oops 😳 🤣

On 8/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, CLASSIC said:

Then you wouldn’t  like @MartyG1525230263‘s advice to people about giving “advise” I suspect. I’m with you.

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:43 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

There are a couple of things that once really annoyed me but now pretty much let it slide. 

However the one that I really dislike is:   No need for a hydrometer or temperature control just leave it for 14 days then bottle it.  It is usually followed by "I have been doing Woolies cans and sugar that way for 30 years and there is nothing wrong with my beer ".  

I know I shouldn't judge but if that is the only experience you have you should not give advise.    It is like giving travel advise to people and the only place you have been is Bali and that was on a Con Tiki tour in 1990. 

A few things here I would like to address, all in the spirit of our great forum.My first observation is that,over several years on here, I have not seen a sentence like the one about the Wooliies cans, the sugar and 30 years. Somewhere else perhaps? It sounds like a recipe for mediocrity at best and at worst, disaster. 

On the subject of temperature control,I’m sure we all agree it is a necessary, or at least very beneficial part of the brewing process. How we do it may vary widely with the dictates of climate and brewing situation ,as well as the approach of the brewer. I live in a temperate climate with an insulated, air tight brew house. Maintaining a steady temperature is very simple for me, I use a small lamp with a dimmer control, and a towel around the fermenter. It needs occasional checking and slight adjustments, which I enjoy doing.I suspect that with a set-and -forget system I would feel a bit deprived of the hands on participation. 

And so to the use of the hydrometer..I don’t.Some would call this an arrogant disregard of an essential brewing tool.I don’t. The hydrometer is a measuring device. It doesn’t improve the beer, enhance its flavour or expedite or aid the fermentation. It does, of course, inform the brewer of many things, including OG,FG, ABV and whatever else. If knowing these things is important or exciting to the brewer then the hydrometer is the gear for him or her, notwithstanding that most of the data can be derived from the recipe. The reading that gets the most emphasis is ,of course, the final gravity taken over a couple of days. It is touted as the only way to know if fermentation is complete. My experience is that the same certainty can be had from careful observation, attention to detail, knowledge of that particular brew, and the confidence that comes from several years of successful brewing.A confidence which ,as a bonus brings great satisfaction as part of my “ hands on” philosophy. 

And by the  way, I do think 14 days is a goodly number to leave the brew in the FV. Not a fixed figure, of course ,but a usual one. The first week sees the ferment complete and the second allows lots of sediment to settle firmly on the bottom to allow for stirring in of the priming solution with no trub  disturbance.

I am not seeking to disagree with, and certainly not to offend, anyone ,but rather to say that there are many different approaches and methods to this wonderful hobby of ours. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure and satisfaction from it as I do. 

Cheers and happy brewing to all.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Worts and all said:

A few things here I would like to address, all in the spirit of our great forum...

...I am not seeking to disagree with, and certainly not to offend, anyone ,but rather to say that there are many different approaches and methods to this wonderful hobby of ours. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure and satisfaction from it as I do. 

Cheers and happy brewing to all.

Diplomatic to a T... 😄

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:30 PM, Worts and all said:

I am not seeking to disagree with, and certainly not to offend, anyone ,but rather to say that there are many different approaches and methods to this wonderful hobby of ours. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure and satisfaction from it as I do. 

I agree whole heartedly with the "many ways to do things" and that is what is always at the heart of the advice I give and what I was implying in my post.  

Whether it is here,  other social media or when I am at work in the LHBS I always offer options. Not using a hydrometer or controlling temperature, leaving it for 14 days then bottling is only one of several options. 

If the brewer opts to make the same kit beer all the time then not using a hydrometer and leaving for 14 days is probably the way to go. 

However, if an inexperienced brewer mixes it up, changes the mass of fermentables and specific gravity,  changes yeast and wants advise on knowing if the ferment is over advising  not to use a hydrometer and leave it for 14 days then bottle because one has done that for 30 years with kits and sugar is not the way to go. 

I also know success with homebrewing is subjective.  If a brewer hones the methods and likes the beer then it is a success.  If the cookie cutter approach works for a brewer and they like their beer then BINGO we have a winner.   I am not knocking it. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 4

Thanks for your response @MartyG1525230263. I do appreciate it. It seems we agree on many things. Your experience in a LHBS must be interesting ,and at times challenging. At one end I imagine you get the wide eyed newcomer who expects to be an expert overnight ,and at the other the know all who won’t be told anything.The fellow I visit has a somewhat besieged look about him!

As you may have noticed,my approach is very much a basic, hands on, non technical one. Inasmuch as I brew beer that I love and prefer over any other beer, I call myself a successful brewer. Am I an adventurous and innovative brewer? Obviously not.

You may be reassured to know I don’t use sugar in my brews, only malt. I do frequently add hops, specialty grains,etc,but that’s about my limit.   Oh, and when it comes to travel,I’ll happily talk about the charm and history of Europe ,or the haunting beauty of Scotland,but don’t ask me about Bali. Haven’t been, not going. Cheers and happy brewing.

3 hours ago, Worts and all said:

You may be reassured to know I don’t use sugar in my brews, only malt. I do frequently add hops, specialty grains,etc,but that’s about my limit.   Oh, and when it comes to travel,I’ll happily talk about the charm and history of Europe ,or the haunting beauty of Scotland,but don’t ask me about Bali. Haven’t been, not going. Cheers and happy brewing.

Sounds like you know  how to make good beer.    I wouldn't consider myself an innovative or adventurous brewer either.  Most of my brews are old school European,  British Isles or  Australian flavours.  I do make some hoppier APA's but rarely push them too hard as I prefer malt driven beers.   I pressure ferment  all grain so I suppose I have jumped further down the rabbit hole than you.  I have the time,  am officially retired and need a hobby.    I only work on Saturdays at the LHBS and it is good fun.  The guy who owns it is a 3 vessel brewer and he is a great bloke.  As far as the guys I serve. I serve loads of guys who do less than you.   Most of those do FWKs and dry hop with the recommend hops on the the box.   Had some pretty basic questions. One guy decided that he wasn't going to buy the yeast anymore as he didn't need it, when I asked more he thought it was a flavour additive he didn't realise that without the yeast there is no fermentation.  Needless to say he left with the yeast.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I get the no hydrometer thing a bit, after years of using similar yeasts I don't even really need to look at it, I know after a certain time it'll be finished. 

However, I still check it to be sure even though I have kegs, and bombs aren't a concern. ABV is an important thing to note for me, and it's a good confirmation in regards to mash temp and in the case of lagers how long I hold the initial sacch rest before heating up to the 72 degree rest. If the beer is too thin or has too much body I can tweak the temperature or initial rest time over a few batches to get it where I want it, or repeat the same if it's fine the first time. 

The first pilsner I brewed getting back into it is a little on the full side, so for the one currently fermenting I increased the initial rest by 10 minutes. Will see how it went in about 3 weeks. 

On topic more I still haven't thought of any brewing jargon that annoys me. Plenty of footy jargon however, like "disposal by foot". It's a bloody kick 🙄🤣

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

One guy decided that he wasn't going to buy the yeast anymore as he didn't need it, when I asked more he thought it was a flavour additive he didn't realise that without the yeast there is no fermentation.  Needless to say he left with the yeast

😄 I wonder how long it would have taken him to realise if you hadn't explained? 😄

Not just brewing but in general - "You can't go wrong!"

As in, "Do it this way and you can't go wrong!"

Wanna bet? 

We had a programmer who swore the new HRIS (Human resources Info System) was bullet proof and we 'can't go wrong' just uploading it into active service. My manager just leaned his forearm on the keyboard mashing all the keys. He not only crashed the database, they had to do a restart on the multi-$million Prime computer it was running on.

After that I got assigned to work with the programmer to make things actually bullet-proof. 😄 AND we ran it in a test environment before implementation...

Never doubt the ability of the listener to find ways it CAN go wrong! 😄

With a hand firmly on the floodgate to stem the flow,I humbly submit the following grievances.

1. They say. Who are they? Give me their names and contact numbers. They are usually wrong and could no doubt benefit from my advice.

2. Going forward. Yes,of course you are. Time is a uni-directional entity. Dr Who is not real. Sorry!

3 Outsourcing. You are getting,buying,obtaining,or many other perfectly apt and more elegant words. Outsourcing is an ugly latecomer. Avoid it!

4. Mispronunciation of the word “ vulnerable”. There are two l’s in it. There is no extra charge for voicing both .Same for the l in the name of our country. Just because Albo and Eddie used to be Everywhere stuff it up doesn’t  mean you should.

5 Strategic plan. You have either a plan or a strategy. Either words could be appropriate. Choose one and stick with it. The other becomes redundant.

That’s my little bit of steam let off for the day. I do believe I will have a smallish drink. They say it’s good for you. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4