Coopers Community

weird things in brewing we say the gets on ya wick

ozdevil

On 9/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, MUZZY said:

Even though poor spelling and grammar grind my gears a little, I'm learning to look past the errors of other people. There's not enough time in the day to correct all of them.

Perhaps the government could wage a war on "error" and start by putting more funding into education and, more specifically, English.

A measured and polite response in the face of provocation. All those years “on the buses “ must have taught you patience in the face of ignorance. I, like you, let most go through to the keeper. Occasionally it gets to me. My local newspaper last week used the words sight.cite and site in three different articles. Each time they contrived to use the wrong word. How do professional writers do it? And then there’s the undue stressing of unimportant words, conjunctive, prepositions and so on, by TV and radio presenters. Tragically  it is becoming endemic on “my” ABC.what hope do we have? Your war suggestion has my support.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Worts and all said:
On 9/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, MUZZY said:

Even though poor spelling and grammar grind my gears a little, I'm learning to look past the errors of other people. There's not enough time in the day to correct all of them.

Perhaps the government could wage a war on "error" and start by putting more funding into education and, more specifically, English.

A measured and polite response in the face of provocation. All those years “on the buses “ must have taught you patience in the face of ignorance. I, like you, let most go through to the keeper. Occasionally it gets to me. My local newspaper last week used the words sight.cite and site in three different articles. Each time they contrived to use the wrong word. How do professional writers do it? And then there’s the undue stressing of unimportant words, conjunctive, prepositions and so on, by TV and radio presenters. Tragically  it is becoming endemic on “my” ABC.what hope do we have? Your war suggestion has my support.

Sadly Worts, it is endemic. I work in the media and I believe it can be attributed to the willful under resourcing of the commercial media and our National broadcaster the ABC. There are no longer checks and balances in place because of this. You realise we're in deep dog pooh when social media has become a primary source for some of their News content these days. In the past site, cite, and sight would've been subbed before it made it to air or print. It's a shame. Kerry O'Brien goes one step further to suggest that a heavily under resourced media may well lead to the erosion of our democracy here in Oz. The constant dumbing down of the population will continue unless this is rectified. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Sadly Worts, it is endemic. I work in the media and I believe it can be attributed to the willful under resourcing of the commercial media and our National broadcaster the ABC. There are no longer checks and balances in place because of this. You realise we're in deep dog pooh when social media has become a primary source for some of their News content these days. In the past site, cite, and sight would've been subbed before it made it to air or print. It's a shame. Kerry O'Brien goes one step further to suggest that a heavily under resourced media may well lead to the erosion of our democracy here in Oz. The constant dumbing down of the population will continue unless this is rectified. 

Sad but true. We have seen the process happen to a far greater degree in the US, led disgracefully by Murdoch’s Sky News. How else to explain Orange Man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I hate like. It's like, ridiculous. Not actually ridiculous - just like ridiculous. Maybe very silly. In which case, why not call it, "very silly?"

I myself... I myself don't like licorice. When I am somebody else, however, it's fine

I personally... don't like the smell of it. But it's delicious when I am being an exhibitionist!

lol rolf pmsl (really? if you are going that why are you sitting there typing and not heading for the dunny?)

That is... well it's like OMG. 

Add that to, "dropping" beers, and I start scowling

Edited by Cee

Oh yes

(yes this thread is still on my mind haha)

For those members who are rightfully strict about sanitizing... Does it not send a twang through the cerebral cortex whenever somebody advises a brewer to, "THROW in a HANDFULL of grain..."

• Haha 2