Coopers Community

weird things in brewing we say the gets on ya wick

ozdevil

2 minutes ago, Worts and all said:

With a hand firmly on the floodgate to stem the flow,I humbly submit the following grievances.

How about 'literally' when it isn't... At all. 

Or 'ironically' when it isn't - looking right at you, Alanis! 😄

Pacifically instead of specifically?

• Like 1

I am a Moderator  of a tv streaming site  , i am a pretty relaxed Mod until you say something that gets on my wick

if the person whants help from me or is just asking a question or making a statement and uses this

Hey Bro!  what night is the fight between leghorn and elmur  sheduled

or thanks Bro

i warn you once with a week ban
you do  it second time i will forgive you and give you 2week ban
3rd time you do it  dont bother making excuse saying ya forgot you get a month
4th  you get  lifetime ban.

not many have got to the 4th time

if you are are not brother  dont call me bro  i'll never have a brother as i cant see my folks at 76years of age 
tryinging to have another son 

or some who yells out YES BROTHERRRRRRR  to acknowledge a person

again i am not their brother 

my Best mate is like a brother he doesnt even call  BRO

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

dont call me bro

I call my brother "Bro" have for years he is 2 years younger & smaller & he has never minded. As far as understand it's just plain old Aussie slang, like Mate, Cobber etc.

We all have nicknames down the Pub & hardly anyone calls people by their real name, in fact I would struggling trying to remember some of the names. It is all in good fun.  As long as you are respectful, get on & have a beer, who cares ? If you are going to be rude to someone it means you are prepared to fight them. 

Cheers Bro ... oops I mean OD 🤣 what was I thinking !!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I call my brother "Bro" have for years he is 2 years younger & smaller & he has never minded. As far as understand it's just plain old Aussie slang, like Mate, Cobber etc.

We all have nicknames down the Pub & hardly anyone calls people by their real name, in fact I would struggling trying to remember some of the names. It is all in good fun.  As long as you are respectful, get on & have a beer, who cares ? If you are going to be rude to someone it means you are prepared to fight them. 

Cheers Bro ... oops I mean OD 🤣 what was I thinking !!

@Classic Brewing Co  you cheeky bugger

i dont think its aussie slang more closer to our cousin across the ditch  

nicknames i can handle 

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just saw the opportunity for a laugh, after all it is a beautiful 25c in Adelaide & I am having a hoppy lager & the sun is shining, life's good. 🌞

I knew i left the door wide open  for someone to be cheeky and you got in first 🤣  

yes it wouldnt be far off that temp in  Bacchus Marsh  and i just cracked a west coast pale ale i bottled a couple of months ago  
and didnt enjoy it but i think i might now crack a pale ale on tap while the suns out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

yes it wouldnt be far off that temp in  Bacchus Marsh  and i just cracked a west coast pale ale i bottled a couple of months ago  
and didnt enjoy it but i think i might now crack a pale ale on tap while the suns out

Well it just hit 26c & I am know having a Blonde Dry from MV not sure of Coopers equivalent but if there is one I will get it as I would rather support Coopers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Bahaha! I use this all the time, especially in a group discussion, in the hope that someone will correct me. 

You Sir, are a provocateur extraordinaire! - which is an enormity when used against the poorly educated masses. I'm guessing you get called 'grammar nazi' fairly often? 😄 It must be terrific to be online with you. 😄 

Irregardless I will keep reading your words... 😄

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

FFS! Nobody tell @MUZZYabout this thread - his OCD on the spelling and grammar would leave a crater where he used to live! 😄

I fear you misjudge The Great Muzzled One sir. In my mind I see him in his lair, pacing to and fro, pondering the matter.Should he treat this lot of nonsense as the unfortunate scribblings of the great unwashed? Or should he draw a line against so much blatant, and at times wilful illiteracy? If the latter, and he chooses to” stiffen the sinews and summon up the blood” as recommended by Henry V, then we should all be afraid. Very afraid. I await his response with trepidation. Stay close to shelter.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Worts and all said:

I fear you misjudge The Great Muzzled One sir. In my mind I see him in his lair, pacing to and fro, pondering the matter.Should he treat this lot of nonsense as the unfortunate scribblings of the great unwashed? Or should he draw a line against so much blatant, and at times wilful illiteracy? If the latter, and he chooses to” stiffen the sinews and summon up the blood” as recommended by Henry V, then we should all be afraid. Very afraid. I await his response with trepidation. Stay close to shelter.

I think Muzzman has things under control, he seems well versed with the English tongue. 😀

• Like 2

I like the Aussie reverse nicknames.  I think there is a proper description of it.  Like when we call

• The redhead guy "Bluey"
  • The bald guy "Curly"
  • The quite guy in the corner "Rowdy"
  • My uncle called me "Baldy" when I was a kid, because I had a mop of hair on my head

By the way @ozdevil, is it okay for me to call my Brother-In-Law, "Bro"?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I like the Aussie reverse nicknames.  I think there is a proper description of it.  Like when we call

• The redhead guy "Bluey"
  • The bald guy "Curly"
  • The quite guy in the corner "Rowdy"
  • My uncle called me "Baldy" when I was a kid, because I had a mop of hair on my head

By the way @ozdevil, is it okay for me to call my Brother-In-Law, "Bro"?

• I played Darts with a guy called    Peter Gale - " Windy "
  • A mate at the Pub always wears an Air Force Cap - " Shady "
  • I have another mate who is always late - " Nightshift "
  • Another Guy is a Funeral Director - " Tombstone "

The list goes on.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Pacifically instead of specifically?

Adding to this:

I should of done that - No, you should HAVE done that, not OF. For Pete's sake, it doesn't even make sense. 

And don't get me started on the permanent misuse of their, there, they're or your and you're.

Then of course there is for "all intensive purposes" instead of intents and purposes. 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Adding to this:

I should of done that - No, you should HAVE done that, not OF. For Pete's sake, it doesn't even make sense. 

And don't get me started on the permanent misuse of their, there, they're or your and you're.

Then of course there is for "all intensive purposes" instead of intents and purposes. 

How about 'loose' and 'lose' - so many get them exactly the wrong way around!

• Like 1

Even though poor spelling and grammar grind my gears a little, I'm learning to look past the errors of other people. There's not enough time in the day to correct all of them.

Perhaps the government could wage a war on "error" and start by putting more funding into education and, more specifically, English.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Even though poor spelling and grammar grind my gears a little, I'm learning to look past the errors of other people. There's not enough time in the day to correct all of them.

Perhaps the government could wage a war on "error" and start by putting more funding into education and, more specifically, English.

Ahh... grasshopper, you bend like the reed in the wind so you don't break as you see the lager picture! 

We have taught you well. 😄

• Haha 3

On 9/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, Mickep said:

Ain't that the truth! What normal person ever says "disposal by foot" anyway.  

Exactly. The other one that's crept in over the last few years is "DEfence and OFFence" or "offensive play". It's always been attack since I can remember. The yank crap can piss off 

• Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 11:39 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I get the no hydrometer thing a bit, after years of using similar yeasts I don't even really need to look at it, I know after a certain time it'll be finished. 

However, I still check it to be sure even though I have kegs, and bombs aren't a concern. ABV is an important thing to note for me, and it's a good confirmation in regards to mash temp and in the case of lagers how long I hold the initial sacch rest before heating up to the 72 degree rest. If the beer is too thin or has too much body I can tweak the temperature or initial rest time over a few batches to get it where I want it, or repeat the same if it's fine the first time. 

The first pilsner I brewed getting back into it is a little on the full side, so for the one currently fermenting I increased the initial rest by 10 minutes. Will see how it went in about 3 weeks. 

On topic more I still haven't thought of any brewing jargon that annoys me. Plenty of footy jargon however, like "disposal by foot". It's a bloody kick 🙄🤣

Or the 12th Man, back to the Central Missionary Position. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1