Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

25 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Muzz's Almost Tuna Mornay

Looks nice Muzzy, I do similar, it is real comfort food but I do like whacking it in the oven with garlic breadcrumbs & cheese for that classic finish 🤔 either way it is a moreish dish, sometimes the addition of peas or anchovies adds another dimension but it's good like it is. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Muzz's Almost Tuna Mornay

Ingredients
1 x 500g pkt macaroni elbow pasta.
2 x 425g tins of tuna in brine. I just use generic branded.
1 large onion - diced.
1 x 400g tin sweet corn kernels
4 Tbsp veg oil or butter. I use more. It's a feel thing.
3 Tbsp plain flour. Same goes for this as the flour.
4 cups milk. Can be more or less depending on your sauce density.
1 Tbsp chicken stock powder. Also can be adjusted to taste.
Pepper to taste.
1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese. Can also add more cheese or some parmesan if you like cheesy.

Method
In a large pot boil up your pasta. You should know how to do that.,
In another large pot heat the oil/butter and start frying the onion on a medium heat. I leave the lid on to retain as much moisture as possible.
Cook the onion until it's soft and it's colour goes clearer.
Turn heat to low. Sprinkle in flour and stir to create a roux (paste).
Add the milk gradually to the roux, stirring as it heats up. We're making a white sauce here so stir and keep adding milk. Don't leave the pot because it will turn into plaster. 😄 
Once you have the sauce at the consistency you like, add the chicken stock powder and pepper and stir in. Give it a taste to see if you like it.
Add the tuna and corn and heat through, breaking up the tuna so it's not in massive clumps. You can drain the tins of tuna and corn beforehand but I include the brine. The pasta will soak it all up and it adds flavour.
Once heated through stir in the cheese and remove from the heat.
Once your pasta is al dente and drained stir it into the sauce pot. Not the other way round because then you'll have 2 sauce dirty pots. 😉 
This is now ready to eat but if you want a more authentic tuna mornay, you can put it in a baking dish and top it with combined grated cheese and bread crumbs and pop it in a moderate oven until it's golden brown. I'm usually too impatient/hungry to do the baking step.

*This will feed a small army. You can scale down the ingredients accordingly.

@MUZZY I reckon, after looking at the ingredients, that would feed a large army! Looks very good though and I may try a scaled down version.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks nice Muzzy, I do similar, it is real comfort food but I do like whacking it in the oven with garlic breadcrumbs & cheese for that classic finish 🤔 either way it is a moreish dish, sometimes the addition of peas or anchovies adds another dimension but it's good like it is. 

I used to add extra vegetables to it but the family didn't approve so the only veg I have in it is onion and corn.

I personally do like the breadcrumb/cheese topping but that extra step of baking is a pain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

@MUZZY I reckon, after looking at the ingredients, that would feed a large army! Looks very good though and I may try a scaled down version.

Hahaha Kmar, I should have specified - it would feed a small army of Muzzies and a large army of average sized soldiers. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Chicken Paprikas with spätzle tonight. IP’s suggestion of cooking a stew in the oven is worth it, especially if there’s a cast iron pot and flour in the recipe. It burns otherwise 😳

Have to get the times right though - 90 minutes at 160 made the chook fall apart since there’s another half-hour with the capsicums in. And a bottle of local red: got to support the local winemakers since I ain’t supporting the local brewers 😰

26B322ED-3A61-4E5A-A975-E18A9530201C.jpeg

6DDA8976-8516-4A7D-A69B-3B50F708C92F.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Last night's offering.

A larb (Thai salad) with baby octopus, beautiful fresh pippies (Cockles) in a chilli Thai sauce and a rump steak marinaded in salt, cracked pepper, and olive oil for a few hours. Went alright.

Good one Mick, my type of food, Stquinta probably would eat the steak like that 🧛‍♂️ 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

Last night's offering.

A larb (Thai salad) with baby octopus, beautiful fresh pippies (Cockles) in a chilli Thai sauce and a rump steak marinaded in salt, cracked pepper, and olive oil for a few hours. Went alright.

275706899_373532141287629_8482505004557076929_n.jpg

275610750_652592749334393_6448601203688953710_n.jpg

275848719_1830314037174943_8845436050874247965_n.jpg

Awesome stuff Mick, absolutely amazing. We get vongole here (from Italy), beautiful stuff. The meat looked about ready too 🤣

Here’s my latest burnt offerings..

7C61DD13-6A2F-43BA-98B1-C0066A8D3DEC.jpeg

B0F36018-E9E2-4214-927E-90B48195C0A3.jpeg

A3BB3CF7-9F64-4C1F-855B-06FBB491F709.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Awesome stuff Mick, absolutely amazing. We get vongole here (from Italy), beautiful stuff. The meat looked about ready too 🤣

Here’s my latest burnt offerings..

7C61DD13-6A2F-43BA-98B1-C0066A8D3DEC.jpeg

B0F36018-E9E2-4214-927E-90B48195C0A3.jpeg

A3BB3CF7-9F64-4C1F-855B-06FBB491F709.jpeg

Looks beautiful Sainter mate - you're right though a bit on the burnt side. 🤣

• Haha 2

OK when you have been at the pub knocking back $5.50 Pints of Coopers Pale Ale ( SA pints ) for 3 hours for birthday celebrations  it is always easier to knock up something simple for dinner, I had some left over roast chook, a pkt of Dutch Curry & Rice soup, sauted a bit of onion/carrot/potato/chilli & added a pkt of Hokkien Noodles you have a meal, bloody hot too. It doesn't look much but it is really good.

I even managed to bottle the English Bitter.

20220319_192801.thumb.jpg.eca11dd65085b7100ad7f1520640736f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK when you have been at the pub knocking back $5.50 Pints of Coopers Pale Ale ( SA pints ) for 3 hours for birthday celebrations  it is always easier to knock up something simple for dinner, I had some left over roast chook, a pkt of Dutch Curry & Rice soup, sauted a bit of onion/carrot/potato/chilli & added a pkt of Hokkien Noodles you have a meal, bloody hot too. It doesn't look much but it is really good.

There you go mate, some cowboy soup 🤣 When you've had a few it goes down particulary well.

Hope you didn't spill too much beer when bottling 😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yeah that's right, the ones I crush as I walk along the beach..

I've helped people rake them But I don't eat them.

Not my taste.

Pipi's taste nice when they have a 1/0 circle hook placed in them and the whole lot ends up sitting in the corner of a fresh caught King George Whiting's mouth.  They don't taste sandy then either.  Panko crumbs on the Whiting fillets takes care of that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Pipi's taste nice when they have a 1/0 circle hook placed in them and the whole lot ends up sitting in the corner of a fresh caught King George Whiting's mouth.  They don't taste sandy then either.  Panko crumbs on the Whiting fillets takes care of that.

With a glass of Sav Blanc !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Actually you can never really get rid of that sandy taste, but I still eat them.

I read somehwere that if you leave them (these were clams from America, which tend to be a bit on the larger size)  to soak overnight in water the sand comes out. But then you would lose the sea water, which is where the flavour comes from.

When I cook spaghetti alla vongole I cook the vongole first, and pick 'em out as they open. I keep the juice because that's where the sea-side taste comes from. You gotta be careful: I have had one full of oily sand and it ruined the dish. Had to tip the lot. I did take the rest of the day off in this case, I was in such a rage...  😡

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I read somehwere that if you leave them (these were clams from America, which tend to be a bit on the larger size)  to soak overnight in water the sand comes out. But then you would lose the sea water, which is where the flavour comes from.

When I cook spaghetti alla vongole I cook the vongole first, and pick 'em out as they open. I keep the juice because that's where the sea-side taste comes from. You gotta be careful: I have had one full of oily sand and it ruined the dish. Had to tip the lot. I did take the rest of the day off in this case, I was in such a rage...  😡

Yeah they are not really that bad it is just mass production skipping by minute details, a bit of chilli & some wine you don't really notice it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Happy Birthday Phil, thank's for all your support (and others).

• Like 2

Festive Spicy Vegetarian Curry:  My (last of the garden) Zooks and Tomatoes, then onion, carrot, groundnut, chickpeas, curry fest of multitudinous origins plus fresh chillies and then served with fresh Springers and a blob of Sour Cream.... not too bad for dirty old vegetarian : )

image.thumb.png.16e0cbbc8458d6f2bcd346763a37d8a9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, stquinto said:

When I cook spaghetti alla vongole

When in Rome, do as the Romans do... 👍

Went there v long time ago... went to a ripper small restaurant... had English translation in text on the Menu which was kind...

Spaghetti Vongole... kindly translated as 

Spaghetti with CLAMPS 

🥳

• Haha 1