Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

48 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Mick, I had to tell you what I did last night. I think I re-invented the wheel.
After a long day on the beers I found myself wanting a late night snack. Got some dimmies out of the freezer, put them in a bowl, sprayed them with oil and dusted them with salt and my new secret ingredient, CURRY POWDER. 15 minutes on 200C in the air fryer and it was the perfect drunken snack (*consume responsibly). Bloody beautiful!
The air fryer is perfect for the inebriated cook because if he/she falls asleep the air fryer turns itself off. Unlike a deep fryer or oven. 🙂 

I have to agree with you Muzzy, Dim Sims are a great invention, very useful for lazy or drunk people 😀 I like them as much fried as I do steamed, they are so versatile & there are many ways to flavour them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

you lost me there. seems like a waste of a base that could make another tasty pizza like the other two

Well I guess kids would like it !! But check out some of these recipes, be nice with a desert wine or port. 

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6d3d16dce97cf22f72aa6f8ff4bbada02594319af9fcb055731b238e04b839e5JmltdHM9MTY0ODM0NDg5MCZpZ3VpZD03YmY1YjlhMy1mNjMzLTRkMmEtODg2OC1kOWIyNmQ3MTUyMmImaW5zaWQ9NTE5OQ&ptn=3&fclid=17a66f8c-ad6e-11ec-8ae1-ee212371a5a2&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYnJpdC5jby9kZXNzZXJ0LXBpenphLXJlY2lwZXMvP21zY2xraWQ9MTdhNjZmOGNhZDZlMTFlYzhhZTFlZTIxMjM3MWE1YTI&ntb=1

• Like 2

21 hours ago, interceptor said:

this is home cured bacon.

Thanks for the coaching @interceptor Ceptor.

I agree that one would ideally want the uniform colouring and effect of the pink salt throughout and hence without that internal brown patch.

Should note from a food safety perspective that this is not a 'proper' cured bacon that hung around for some time in the controlled temp-humidity cabinet  - but rather a bit of a 'cheat' version where you dry brine Porker Bellies with Misty Gully Maple Bacon Cure... then bake in oven so pretty much cooked at that stage.... it is then cooled and cryovacced and stored at 2 deg C.  And it makes quite nice Bacon.

The brown internal area would seem to me that the Dry Brine did not reach all the way through even tho it was kept the normal regulation recommended days - I did not weight it down - maybe I should be doing that next time?

And I think that the cryo'd meat also was nearing its use-by-date before Dry Brining - so what @Classic Brewing Co Phil raised might also be at play - so in future I will purchase and get it going straight away.

Thanks all for your help and input - safety first 👍

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Should note from a food safety perspective that this is not a 'proper' cured bacon that hung around for some time in the controlled temp-humidity cabinet

IMO proper bacon is as you have done, but yes, the cure has not penetrated all the way in.

Did you rotate the belly?

From a food safety perspective I get a little worried when I have seen that in mine.

The flavour is not the same either, the grey bit tasting like cooked pork rather than bacon.

BTW - I wasn't being critical, just trying to help. 🙂

Love your stuff IP, you do a top job

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, interceptor said:

IMO proper bacon is as you have done, but yes, the cure has not penetrated all the way in.

Did you rotate the belly?

Thanks for the feedback @interceptor Ceptor - I do appreciate the help and coaching and it pays to get meat right.  Big Time.

Yes I did all the 'normal' good things with administering the correct weight of crystalline cure per gramme of meat plus rotation and a good amount of time on the cure in the fridge... but I did not weight the meat down.... thought it would be fine without... plus the Pork Belly lounged around in the fridge for too long before the cure was applied even tho sealed in Cryovacc  : (

Next time I will go back to weighting down the bellies and also bang them into the Brine asap after purchase.

And then see how that works out : )

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Popo said:

IMG20220312193539.thumb.jpg.8dac8dfa2cecdabfa79d80f67677d715.jpgIMG20220312191642.thumb.jpg.4afdb4ddde19efd00be52eb349f64f04.jpgIMG20220326191503.thumb.jpg.fc9a09e8eae102732feb1e0cebee59f7.jpg

Some pizzas. Never made a dessert pizza. Will do again though.

They all look beautiful mate 😍

My kids would really go for the last one… I’d never “order” one, but if my arm was twisted I’d have a slice 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

After a long day on the beers I found myself wanting a late night snack. Got some dimmies out of the freezer, put them in a bowl, sprayed them with oil and dusted them with salt and my new secret ingredient, CURRY POWDER. 15 minutes on 200C in the air fryer and it was the perfect drunken snack (*consume responsibly). Bloody beautiful!
The air fryer is perfect for the inebriated cook because if he/she falls asleep the air fryer turns itself off. Unlike a deep fryer or oven. 🙂 

Well oil beef hooked, Muzzy, what a daring combo....I must try this just to see what it's like - of course I'll have to drink copious amounts of Coopers home brew nectar first so I get the full effect of the dusting of gold you've applied to those little mystery parcels of delight. Air fryers definitely have their place. Magnifico mate!

• Haha 3

On 3/26/2022 at 3:20 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

a bit more meat for the meatlovers ; )

Been in a red wine olive oil oregano and black pepper marinade for a few days... will go the slow roast to start with and then do a reverse sear once it has had a nice low temp cook for a bit : )

Cold olive oil floaties seen below on the lovely Topside Beef 🙂

image.thumb.png.650c667ade0bc8e9b7372ed2ff70353b.png

Oh wow IP, no need to even sear that - just hop straight in. Looks just perfect!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, Popo said:

IMG20220326155512.thumb.jpg.948bfd1963d4464c91dd8deeb3144eab.jpgSome jalepeno poppers from today. Were good.

I remember the XPA being a bit better but still went down alright with the poppers.

Looks bloody good mate, perfect beer snack 💪👍

Talking of XPA, I fancied trying an AG version this weekend as I can source those hops but not the PoR. Did you use a Coopers Commercial yeast from the Oz Pale Ale or US-05 ?

On 3/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, MUZZY said:

Muzz mate, you need to copyright the recipe before it get stolen from under your nose 👍

Sounds the biz when you’ve had a gut full. I came across a pack of pork scratchings two years out of date in the bunker the other day, still ate ‘em 🤣

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Sounds the biz when you’ve had a gut full. I came across a pack of pork scratchings two years out of date in the bunker the other day, still ate ‘em 🤣

The same thing we call Pork Crackle, love them but I have never had any 2 years old !! Probably still OK. One of the best brands I have ever eaten is made here in SA, there are others available but not crunchy like these. Beef Jerky & Pork Crackle & Beer, all you need.

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The same thing we call Pork Crackle, love them but I have never had any 2 years old !! Probably still OK. One of the best brands I have ever eaten is made here in SA, there are others available but not crunchy like these. Beef Jerky & Pork Crackle & Beer, all you need.

See the source image

Well, if the packet ain’t swollen and the contents aren’t too ripe, might as well go for it 🤣

• Haha 2