Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

On 3/14/2022 at 11:44 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

A pretty basic meal tonight because I had an interesting afternoon, a couple of my old neighbours came down for a drink & my new neighbours from next door called in so we had a ding dong party 🥳 it was great everyone got on, we drank lot's of homebrew 😬 so that's why I knocked up some Debreziner Spicy Smoked Sausage, man they have some kick, I know@Itinerant Peasant& @Aussiekrautwould know what they are, I was 'beere'd out' so red wine was the order.

20220314_200322.thumb.jpg.3376bf18e17d7ee6a3b97561e0c48ffc.jpg

The thing that looks great about your tucker Phil is that it is balanced. And also colourful. Great stuff!

• Like 3

On 3/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, Mickep said:

This was last nights offering.

Deep fried pork rib (cut into 2" lengths) and  sat in dry and wet marinade for a few hours.

And another prawn and mince chicken Glass noodle salad with black fungus mushroom.

275569920_751445695821510_7531214510179621088_n.jpg

275684639_666860584764691_5272309434726022237_n.jpg

275618964_497532692019092_8600601487244013384_n.jpg

Magnificent Mick! Great looking combo 👍

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stquinto said:

The thing that looks great about your tucker Phil is that it is balanced. And also colourful. Great stuff!

Cheers mate, yours always looks interesting too, I always strive for variety & it doesn't have to be flash, good food cooked well will always be better than fancy stacked up stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Beautiful @sainter : )

Do you get the Morels fresh or dried?

And what have you got in the delish looking sauce?

Cream and Morels... and ?

Yum!

Cheers IP 👍

I soak dried morels in boiling water for 20 minutes or so. Then squeeze the water out, fry them in butter for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Then flambé them with a slosh of brandy (well guessed Phil 🤣). I pour in some of the soaking water , boil it, then add some of the magic meaty thickener. Lower the heat and stir in some cream. Works great on fillet steak too.

The morels are about the same price here (75$ for 100g), but they are sometimes on offer with 33% discount, so I buy a few. Having said that, I might use between 4 and 6 dollars worth for a sauce for 4 of us. A bit fancy but not completely ruinous…

7D6CF6C1-2232-4D1A-A422-C675AAAFBCD9.jpeg

DA031527-5594-4CA2-A315-A1E483A0264B.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers mate, yours always looks interesting too, I always strive for variety & it doesn't have to be flash, good food cooked well will always be better than fancy stacked up stuff.

I’m with you on that one mate 👍🥕

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I’ll tell you something else too - I photograph the “fancier” stuff and not stuff like spag bol. I go to the trad butcher and get a kilo of minced beef, veal and pork and make a great bolo sauce, simmered for about 3 hours. Likewise making meatballs with tomato sauce - dirt cheap if you make it in bulk

4 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I’ll tell you something else too - I photograph the “fancier” stuff and not stuff like spag bol. I go to the trad butcher and get a kilo of minced beef, veal and pork and make a great bolo sauce, simmered for about 3 hours. Likewise making meatballs with tomato sauce - dirt cheap if you make it in bulk

I know what you mean, sometimes I get carried away & just take photos of basic stuff, not terribly exciting but you know you have cooked it well & packed it with flavour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@stquintoSomebody was always going to ask, what are the holes in the floor for? heating maybe don't they have amenities 😬

🤣 I think it was an old farm building as there were goats and sheep in the adjacent shed. Maybe had water running through it. I say chalet, might have been cow sheds for all I know. In the mountain villages you get small huts on stilts, sitting on small flat stones (to stop mice getting in) and they stored grain in. Nowadays rich b*#tards buy them and put jacuzzis in etc. 
The Swiss tend to look after their mountain villages mind - you go to France and there are apartment blocks like some shonky sea resort in Spain 😳

E75430A2-B3CA-4245-8591-55082DE106BB.jpeg

DC587876-69C8-4583-A1AC-94EE9BCA7E5F.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

Rillettes de porc

You speak the French thing @stquinto Sainter?

Parlez-Vous Français mate?

I did a bit at High School a 100 years ago... and just love languages in general... can remember bitsies of the frog but know far call really... 

I do for some strange reason love the froggly version of 'at the end of the last Century':

jusqu'à la fin du siècle dernier -- haha Woooohooo : )

Would love to learn Italian -- I like the sound of that a lot more : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I did a bit at High School a 100 years ago... and just love languages in general... can remember bitsies of the frog but know far call really... 

I do for some strange reason love the froggly version of 'at the end of the last Century':

je m’appelle phil je fais de la bière 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yeah, I’m pretty good with the old Frenchie lingo - have lived in a French-speaking country since 1985. My German’s passable too - especially after a few. Wann ich in Deutschland bin, starbe ich nicht von Durst oder Hunger !

Italian is a nice sounding lingo I agree. Likewise I can get around a menu. Whenever I go to Greece I try a bit but end up with dodgy-looking tucker like a plate of sheep’s ar@*holes because I just say “efcharisto” to everything they offer 😂

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Anyway just thinking we better slow down on the foreign language stuff, may be frowned upon by the admin staff 😬

Got a point Phil, go back to the old anglo-saxon, enough of this foreign muck

• Haha 2

Comfort food - Muzzy's Almost Tuna Mornay. It's almost tuna mornay because I don't bake it with crumbed topping, which is delicious too but takes extra time and effort.

This is a great but simple meal and cheap as heck. I really like eating it but what I like best is it brings my boy home. He moved out a few years ago but he enjoys it as much as I do and will always drop in for a bowl and a doggy bag for his work lunch.

I usually make a large batch that would easily feed 6 people for around $10. A brilliant meal if the budget is tight.

Ingredients: 2 tins of tuna in brine, a tin of corn, a large onion, oil, (inaudible mumble) tablespoons of plain flour, milk, milk, milk, milk, chicken stock powder, pepper, grated cheese, a packet of elbow macaroni noodles.

Let me know if you want me to post the method.

IMG_20220317_091327.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Comfort food - Muzzy's Almost Tuna Mornay. It's almost tuna mornay because I don't bake it with crumbed topping, which is delicious too but takes extra time and effort.

This is a great but simple meal and cheap as heck. I really like eating it but what I like best is it brings my boy home. He moved out a few years ago but he enjoys it as much as I do and will always drop in for a bowl and a doggy bag for his work lunch.

I usually make a large batch that would easily feed 6 people for around $10. A brilliant meal if the budget is tight.

Ingredients: 2 tins of tuna in brine, a tin of corn, a large onion, oil, (inaudible mumble) tablespoons of plain flour, milk, milk, milk, milk, chicken stock powder, pepper, grated cheese, a packet of elbow macaroni noodles.

Let me know if you want me to post the method.

IMG_20220317_091327.jpg

That looks good Muzz, I’ll give it a try!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

That looks good Muzz, I’ll give it a try!

Muzz's Almost Tuna Mornay

Ingredients
1 x 500g pkt macaroni elbow pasta.
2 x 425g tins of tuna in brine. I just use generic branded.
1 large onion - diced.
1 x 400g tin sweet corn kernels
4 Tbsp veg oil or butter. I use more. It's a feel thing.
3 Tbsp plain flour. Same goes for this as the flour.
4 cups milk. Can be more or less depending on your sauce density.
1 Tbsp chicken stock powder. Also can be adjusted to taste.
Pepper to taste.
1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese. Can also add more cheese or some parmesan if you like cheesy.

Method
In a large pot boil up your pasta. You should know how to do that.,
In another large pot heat the oil/butter and start frying the onion on a medium heat. I leave the lid on to retain as much moisture as possible.
Cook the onion until it's soft and it's colour goes clearer.
Turn heat to low. Sprinkle in flour and stir to create a roux (paste).
Add the milk gradually to the roux, stirring as it heats up. We're making a white sauce here so stir and keep adding milk. Don't leave the pot because it will turn into plaster. 😄 
Once you have the sauce at the consistency you like, add the chicken stock powder and pepper and stir in. Give it a taste to see if you like it.
Add the tuna and corn and heat through, breaking up the tuna so it's not in massive clumps. You can drain the tins of tuna and corn beforehand but I include the brine. The pasta will soak it all up and it adds flavour.
Once heated through stir in the cheese and remove from the heat.
Once your pasta is al dente and drained stir it into the sauce pot. Not the other way round because then you'll have 2 sauce dirty pots. 😉 
This is now ready to eat but if you want a more authentic tuna mornay, you can put it in a baking dish and top it with combined grated cheese and bread crumbs and pop it in a moderate oven until it's golden brown. I'm usually too impatient/hungry to do the baking step.

*This will feed a small army. You can scale down the ingredients accordingly.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2