Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

56 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Saw this fryer on the forum not so long ago and decided to get one and try it out.

275759920_1369582546890873_7731500306194482328_n.thumb.jpg.be078124a4d469b3b848f7148ab98fb2.jpg

Cooked crinkle cut chips to perfection.

275582874_1097955894386158_4328002510217173132_n.thumb.jpg.b642561b9e472f67c89976d94a7a61e8.jpg

and as a side dish we tried the chicken Parma's

275508531_1387947701642897_2905748052259717088_n.thumb.jpg.b5b02a849ac558242dde7cee0ccc3e7f.jpg

Looks really good Mick 👍

Did you go for the triple cook?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Looks really good Mick 👍

Did you go for the triple cook?

Sainter, mate, just the once. And I hate to say they were the  frozen packaged variety so I guess that is twice cooked hey. How would I do the triple cook with he pre packaged frozen chips? I have to say the fryer seems outstanding - almost pro-consumer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Sainter, mate, just the once. And I hate to say they were the  frozen packaged variety so I guess that is twice cooked hey. How would I do the triple cook with he pre packaged frozen chips? I have to say the fryer seems outstanding - almost pro-consumer.

Not to worry mate, next time 👍

The problem with having a chipper is you want to make them every second day 😳

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Not to worry mate, next time 👍

The problem with having a chipper is you want to make them every second day

Yeah, I know what you mean. And in the Land of Oz there are also these tempting little morsels. Unique to Australia. They are blaaaaarrrrrdy delicious.

Historyonics: the Dim Sim - RN Drive - ABC Radio National

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Saw this fryer on the forum not so long ago and decided to get one and try it out.

They are good, I have a similar style still boxed in a cupboard, I prefer to use my wok on the stovetop, I usually soak the hand cut chips in cold water for up to 24 hours, a shorter time still works, the soaking is the secret to the crisp texture, it draws out the starch making them more rigid & less likely to stick together. Pat them dry & cook in Peanut Oil to 170c until slightly limp, rest on crumpled baking paper in a tray, the second cook re-heat the oil to at least 190-200c & cook to until they are crisp & start to brown, drain onto paper towels & season, I like Chicken Salt. 

But, I have a big Air Fryer & these days I tend to use that for 2 reasons - no oil & less cleaning up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

So, Sainter what's the method for tripled cooked chips?

Here you go Mick mate:

- cut your chips fairly thick

- rinse them well to get the starch off

- put them in cold water, salt generously, bring them to the boil and simmer them for about 3 to 4 minutes, then drain( and spread them out on a baking rack to dry)

- cook them in oil (the book says 140 degrees but I go for 180) for 5 minutes

- drain them in the basket above the oil until it heats back up to 180

- cook them another 5 minutes at 180. If they aren’t browning, take them out after say 3 minutes, get the oil hot again, then finish the 2 minutes left after

- drain then get the excess fat off in kitchen paper

No looking back mate, like the reverse seal 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. And in the Land of Oz there are also these tempting little morsels. Unique to Australia. They are blaaaaarrrrrdy delicious.

Dim Sun? They look good mate! Here you get the steamed versions, in France the Vietnamese Nems, you wrap them in lettuce with a mint leaf. Awesome too, dipped in Nouc Mam

• Like 1

Today's breakfast. I'm not sure what you'd call it.... frittata perhaps?

I really like zucchini slice and make it quite regularly but I didn't have any zucchinis. So I substituted with other veggies.

Eggs, SR flour, oil, bacon, carrot, onion, cheese and tomato on top plus Muzzy's home grown capsicum, silverbeet and basil.

Turned out rather well. Even the wife had seconds.

IMG_20220313_095200.jpg

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I always have a 1kg bag of these in the freezer. They're my go-to for an emergency snack. These days I spray them with oil and whack 'em in the air fryer. Not quite as good as fish and chip shop deep fried but still pretty good. You don't need the spray oil but it does give them that bubbly crispiness that deep frying achieves.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Today's breakfast. I'm not sure what you'd call it.... frittata perhaps?

I really like zucchini slice and make it quite regularly but I didn't have any zucchinis. So I substituted with other veggies.

Eggs, SR flour, oil, bacon, carrot, onion, cheese and tomato on top plus Muzzy's home grown capsicum, silverbeet and basil.

Turned out rather well. Even the wife had seconds.

IMG_20220313_095200.jpg

Giving me inspiration for brekkie tomorrow (it’s 1 AM and I’m still drinking mind…)

All right, brunch then 🤣

Looks great Muzz!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

Giving me inspiration for brekkie tomorrow (it’s 1 AM and I’m still drinking mind…)

All right, brunch then 🤣

Looks great Muzz!

It was going to be our lunch but I took so long making it, it was too late to make breakfast afterwards.
I really enjoy cooking but I'm painfully slow at chopping and dicing etc and my timing is garbage. I never have things all ready at once. Dishes like this and predominantly one pot meals are what I need to focus on so it can all get served on time.

• Haha 3

@MUZZY "today they use footage from phones.
                      The times they are a-changin'."

This is my best recent footage (hopefully you Brewers can play the vid clip... not so easy from my end as bandwidth very poor and connection v slow ☹️ so for those who are in my boat - it's the Aussie Thinboy which is now festively burbling away after waking up overnight 🥳)

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 4

Talking of Breakfasts... I broke my fast this morning with a tasty low carb brekky with most stuff 'in-house' other than raising the pigs, growing the cabbages or laying the eggs ; )

Yes Low Carb.... woulda certainly have gone nice with some of those French-Fries-Hot-Potato-Chips above haha!  (mmm something in the future maybe haha)

Mayo-Tom Jam-Coleslaw-Tommy-Zookas-Home Pork Brarties-Parsely-Spinach-Chives... all from here : ) 

And a Friend's Green Beans.

The Scrambled Eggs w Chives... kinda pale looking - as has the whites left over from this morning's Mayo construction w Yolks photo in the matrix below : )

image.thumb.png.549c830743be33806275fc5a7ed72bae.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Talking of Breakfasts... I broke my fast this morning with a tasty low carb brekky with most stuff 'in-house' other than raising the pigs, growing the cabbages or laying the eggs ; )

Yes Low Carb.... woulda certainly have gone nice with some of those French-Fries-Hot-Potato-Chips above haha!  (mmm something in the future maybe haha)

Mayo-Tom Jam-Coleslaw-Tommy-Zookas-Home Pork Brarties-Parsely-Spinach-Chives... all from here : ) 

The Scrambled Eggs w Chives... kinda pale looking - as has the whites left over from this morning's Mayo construction w Yolks photo in the matrix below : )

Looking good IP, lot's of goodies there, in all photos.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looking good IP, lot's of goodies there, in all photos.

And thanks @Classic Brewing Co Phil also for your help and advice re food prep along the way mate!

I think you were the one who emphasised eggs and oil at similar temperatures and that was re-iterated in some of the good web help I found and now I THINK I can make nice Mayo and will likely no longer need to buy expensive stuff to get a nice Mayo happening!

The other critical thing was - if using the stick blender rapid violent belting immersion method - don't use Olive Oil (turns bitter... that was one of my earlier failings) If wanna incorporate EVOO then just whip it in by hand later...

I have yet to try that : )

I realise it might SOUND quite stupid, but I am actually quite excited about some of these Kitchen developments as they have delivered results and there are many variations to try 👍

A bit like trying to brew "Aussie Thinboy" and other more common lower ABV and lower body Beer varieties (who woulda thought!?!) haha!

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

And thanks @Classic Brewing Co Phil also for your help and advice re food prep along the way mate!

I think you were the one who emphasised eggs and oil at similar temperatures and that was re-iterated in some of the good web help I found and now I THINK I can make nice Mayo and will likely no longer need to buy expensive stuff to get a nice Mayo happening!

The other critical thing was - if using the stick blender rapid violent belting immersion method - don't use Olive Oil (turns bitter... that was one of my earlier failings) If wanna incorporate EVOO then just whip it in by hand later...

I have yet to try that : )

I realise it might SOUND quite stupid, but I am actually quite excited about some of these Kitchen developments as they have delivered results and there are many variations to try 👍

A bit like trying to brew "Aussie Thinboy" and other more common lower ABV and lower body Beer varieties (who woulda thought!?!) haha!

I am glad it is working out for you IP, if you can master the basic culinary skills & develop further from there, everything seems much easier. It is handy if you know how to attack any recipe, for example if it  calls for a particular sauce or dressing/gravy, essentially they are mostly variations of each other. Cheers.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, stquinto said:

Dim Sun? They look good mate! Here you get the steamed versions, in France the Vietnamese Nems, you wrap them in lettuce with a mint leaf. Awesome too, dipped in Nouc Mam

Sainter mate, these are what many here describe as mystery parcels or bags. And they are called Dim Sims. Google is your friend here if you want to know more. They are def Aussie and I haven't really seen these made anywhere else outside of Oz. Back in the day, many years ago there were vicious rumors of meat other than mutton, beef or pork being used to make them. I believe the cat population took a big hit in the '50's and '60's here. 😂 A myth I say. These are not to be confused with Dim Sum, or any other morsel.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.549c830743be33806275fc5a7ed72bae.png

IP mate, this looks incredible. The snags are picture perfect mate. And the Zook's done to perfection. Fantastic stuff IP!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I always have a 1kg bag of these in the freezer. They're my go-to for an emergency snack. These days I spray them with oil and whack 'em in the air fryer. Not quite as good as fish and chip shop deep fried but still pretty good. You don't need the spray oil but it does give them that bubbly crispiness that deep frying achieves.

They're the best aren't they Muzzy? Just beautiful. Back in the old days you'd get the odd bit of bone or gristle but not these days. 

Steamed or fried (Air or not) they are a magnificent addition to any drink session.  A bit like bacon and eggs. Dimmies and beer. Perfect!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

They're the best aren't they Muzzy? Just beautiful. Back in the old days you'd get the odd bit of bone or gristle but not these days. 

Steamed or fried (Air or not) they are a magnificent addition to any drink session.  A bit like bacon and eggs. Dimmies and beer. Perfect!

They weren't so popular with Melbourne cabbies back in the 80s. On a footy trip I ate about 10 in one sitting along with the obligatory numerous beers. Next day I was rather flatulent and a cabbie booted me out of his cab for gassing him. It wasn't all bad news. I got $10 of cab ride for free. 😄 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I have even cut them in half & cooked them on the Barbie for entree & in a pan with chilli infused oil, they are very diverse.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have even cut them in half & cooked them on the Barbie for entree & in a pan with chilli infused oil, they are very diverse.

Just stop it Phil, hold it right there. I thought I'd patented that BBQ method years ago. 😂 My kids come over these days and demand that as the entree to whatever we're having for dinner. Yep, those mystery parcels covered in olive oil and bunged on a BBQ are magnificent. I'll have to try the dimmies in the pan with the chilli oil too.

• Haha 3

Just now, Mickep said:

Just stop it Phil, hold it right there. I thought I'd patented that BBQ method years ago. 😂 My kids come over these days and demand that as the entree to whatever we're having for dinner. Yep, those mystery parcels covered in olive oil and bunged on a BBQ are magnificent. I'll have to try the dimmies in the pan with the chilli oil too.

You don't need much & they crisp up nicely too !!

• Like 3