Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2020

ben 10

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Me too Muzzla!  Had a good chuckle at your post mate.

But I got one in this last weekend finally woohooo... See I do have a problem as my brew fridge is my keg fridge... but the keg that was resident in the brew fridge was far emptier than I had thought (read I had slurped way too many lovely AG pints already) and after weighing... I knew I could get my brew fridge back 😋  Cos the keg was very close to empty 😭

Currently the fact that said refrigeration unit is back to being an 18 deg C brew fridge might assist in reducing my consumption somewhat ; ) 

So what you're saying is, your brew fridge is actually a weight loss wonder-product. 😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

So what you're saying is, your brew fridge is actually a weight loss wonder-product. 😄

Gold Muzzy!  Ha ha.  Yes carefully planned and executed ; )

Mmmm but procuring another refrigeration unit might scotch that beautiful plan and then it will all come back to willpower again  😜

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

So finally got around to brewing my Hefeweizen today. All going well. Got to the sparge. The robobrew has a malt pipe with four 'feet' that fit into the top of the kettle, allowing you to sparge. I was 3/4's way through the sparge when one of the feet gave way and SPLASH , malt pipe sinks into the kettle, 4  liters of wart on my window, walls, presses. I was unlucky enough for it to also splash on my bare feet so i had to run into the shower and stand under the cold water for ten minutes. The wort was 95 degrees as i was heating towards the boil. Thankfully im ok, its a bit stingy but i dont think its anything serious. The skin isnt even red and ive been putting ice on it. More importantly i still got 18 litres into my cube. Clean up was great fun as expected

Typical Paddy situation... 😂😂

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2020 at 8:25 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

But don't you need different ones for different coloured brews?

Refractometers are for measuring SG not colour. Yes you only need one. 😜

I'm happy using the hydrometer though, I have a large 250mL sample tube I use, so I'll take the sample after the bag is drained and false bottom removed, stick it in the fridge and take the reading after half an hour or whatever. Then I pour it back into the urn, minus the small amount of trub that settles in the bottom of it. Probably only wastes about 50mL if that, and half of that amount is shit anyway.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

With your hop bag sanitising - I just soak the bag in boiling water/boil the bag...  what do you do mate?

I spray my hands & bench top with stellarsan, spread the hop bags out then spray them and leave while I get the hops ready and weighed in the sanitised scales bowl. Then wring out the hops bags and fill, add sanitised dessert spoon for weight, tie a knot in the bag top, tie a sanitised string around the bag under the knot and sink the mother in the brew with the string hanging out under the lid. 😄 

• Haha 1

I do similar if I'm using a container as BB. Just boil the thing, weigh the hops in a glass straight from the cupboard then into the strainer/s and into the fermenter. No sanitiser in sight and have never had a problem doing this. I don't really think it needs to be that full on unless you get a persistent, hard to remove infection. The beer is more resilient than we give it credit for, and considering the presence of alcohol and the acidic pH at the time of dry hopping, it's a lot harder for bugs to take hold than when it's unfermented wort.

Otherwise I just throw them straight into the fermenter loose. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Refractometers are for measuring SG not colour. Yes you only need one. 😜

I'm happy using the hydrometer though, I have a large 250mL sample tube I use, so I'll take the sample after the bag is drained and false bottom removed, stick it in the fridge and take the reading after half an hour or whatever. Then I pour it back into the urn, minus the small amount of trub that settles in the bottom of it. Probably only wastes about 50mL if that, and half of that amount is shit anyway.

Cheers Kelsey.  Well someone has been leading me astray... been a while and a lots more HB learnings... but when I started I thought I asked the micro fellas/HBS regards the Refracto's for SG.... and they had said you needed a range for different colours - unless it was some gadget for actual colour measurement that they thought I was asking about - or they were pulling my leg for a newbie pisssstake?  Will be a while but will find me way back there and revisit that with those brewers.  In the meantime I too think I will just use my SG device the good old glass hydro...  this current black stuff I reckon is a tasty tonic without even fermenting it so you can drink what you just measured and waste nothing?! 

5 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I spray my hands & bench top with stellarsan, spread the hop bags out then spray them and leave while I get the hops ready and weighed in the sanitised scales bowl. Then wring out the hops bags and fill, add sanitised dessert spoon for weight, tie a knot in the bag top, tie a sanitised string around the bag under the knot and sink the mother in the brew with the string hanging out under the lid. 😄 

I am with Kelsey @Otto Von Blotto re resilience of the brew... but I do sometimes use plastic gloves and scorch my hands with a sterilise of boiling water - what doesn't kill yer makes yer tough? 🤔  OR just destroys all the nerve endings in yer hands and you cannot feel anything anymore?!  Mmm.  Anyway - you could just sterilise your plastic gloves.  In all honesty I think sterilising your skin is probably wishful thinking in reality... anyway... I think Kelsey is quite right in suggesting the lower pH, the Alc, the nature of the hops, and the well colonised growth medium (the wort with loadsa yeast in it) is usually pretty forgiving. 

Yeah I don't use the string... mostly the hop sacs float and I use sterilised (boiling water) tongs for fishing out and wringing with sterile gloves (more scorched hands beneath) as per @Beerlust Lusty's instructions... brewers you must squeeze on the way out... which I think is quite beneficial.  I reckon that the Lusty Squeeze method beats my SS mesh hop tube in terms of delivery of hoppiness and hence more happiness ; )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Looks more like a coat hanger. 😄

Mate you are definitely more upmarket than me if your Coat Hangers are 304 or 316 Stainless!

Where do you get them?  😜

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Should I be weighing down my dry hops? Mine just float on top.

40 minutes ago, Cassius said:

Should I be weighing down my dry hops? Mine just float on top.

The key is to make sure all of the hop matter comes in contact with the brew wort/beer. If you feel you need to weigh your hop package down to achieve this, then sure feel free to do so.

I have not found the need, but do make sure to dunk my chux cloth encased hop package a number of times up & down in the beer when I first add my dry hops to make sure the entire package is soaked & has absorbed enough liquid to hold it just under the surface atop the wort/beer level in the FV.

Hops absorb a very high amount of liquid proportionally to base weight so it is important that when you remove them that you squeeze that very potent & highly aromatic liquid housed in your hop package back into your beer before bottling/kegging to gain the most from the hops you have added in this way.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Otto Von Blotto, How do you remove the false bottom?  I tried to fish out with a SS paddle and a plastic one.  I gave up after a few goes

There's Otto's method. Or I used to tie some cooking twine to it, then other end onto the handle to stop the twine falling in.