Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2020

ben 10

Let my missus tighten all the PET bottle tops on my very first batch of ginger beer - all the bubbles ran away!  Even putting in another carb drop and retightening (several times over 2 days) has not resurrected them.  I now have 24 bottles of alcoholic ginger drink...… still tastes good, just no fizz.

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

Let my missus tighten all the PET bottle tops on my very first batch of ginger beer - all the bubbles ran away!  Even putting in another carb drop and retightening (several times over 2 days) has not resurrected them.  I now have 24 bottles of alcoholic ginger drink...… still tastes good, just no fizz.

Pour into a glass with a little bit of ginger beer soft drink should be golden. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Waynealford said:

Sodastream could be your friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I used a refractometer for the first time today pre and post boil. I can't believe I have not used one before. It is so much more convenient than taking a hydrometer sample. 

Just make sure to recalibrate it after every use.  20 degree water and use the little screwdriver to bring the marking down to zero.  Depending on the heat, mine can vary so i recal every brew day 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Just make sure to recalibrate it after every use.  20 degree water and use the little screwdriver to bring the marking down to zero.  Depending on the heat, mine can vary so i recal every brew day 

Cheers for the info Paddy. This one wasn't mine - a mate brought it along for a brew day today. I'm actually not sure if he did this but the numbers matched up with what I was expecting. Hopefully they were correct.

I have one on my shopping list now. Great little tool.

• Like 2

FAIL - Things have been so hectic lately I've failed to make any beer since early December. Got myself a brew fridge and an Inkbird just before Xmas and haven't been able to use them yet. I've been like a kid that got the latest and greatest battery operated toy for Xmas but batteries not included. ☹️

I think Australia day weekend might be my next opportunity to brew again. Fingers crossed.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 3

I recently kegged up a Honey Beer, used a can of Coopers Lager along with some Manuka Honey booster from my LHBS, all in date.

Tried one yesterday and it tasted like stale Beer & Honey, was terrible, tried one today, even worse, unfortunately tossed it down the back driveway, first keg I’ve had to toss ☹️

• Sad 2

So finally got around to brewing my Hefeweizen today. All going well. Got to the sparge. The robobrew has a malt pipe with four 'feet' that fit into the top of the kettle, allowing you to sparge. I was 3/4's way through the sparge when one of the feet gave way and SPLASH , malt pipe sinks into the kettle, 4  liters of wart on my window, walls, presses. I was unlucky enough for it to also splash on my bare feet so i had to run into the shower and stand under the cold water for ten minutes. The wort was 95 degrees as i was heating towards the boil. Thankfully im ok, its a bit stingy but i dont think its anything serious. The skin isnt even red and ive been putting ice on it. More importantly i still got 18 litres into my cube. Clean up was great fun as expected

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

So finally got around to brewing my Hefeweizen today. All going well. Got to the sparge. The robobrew has a malt pipe with four 'feet' that fit into the top of the kettle, allowing you to sparge. I was 3/4's way through the sparge when one of the feet gave way and SPLASH , malt pipe sinks into the kettle, 4  liters of wart on my window, walls, presses. I was unlucky enough for it to also splash on my bare feet so i had to run into the shower and stand under the cold water for ten minutes. The wort was 95 degrees as i was heating towards the boil. Thankfully im ok, its a bit stingy but i dont think its anything serious. The skin isnt even red and ive been putting ice on it. More importantly i still got 18 litres into my cube. Clean up was great fun as expected

Did you break the foot or didn't have it on there properly? I was so careful doing that on my first brew with the brewzilla last weekend! 

On 1/17/2020 at 11:10 AM, Waynealford said:

Got a Soda Stream?   Put into Soda Stream Bottle - Gas up...  worth a try.

Or a Keg.... maybe now's the time to suggest getting a keg... pour all bottles into keg... gas up... pour sparkling Gingie ?!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:45 PM, Popo said:

I used a refractometer for the first time today pre and post boil. I can't believe I have not used one before. It is so much more convenient than taking a hydrometer sample. 

Mate d'you reckon they are the biz?

I thought you need to have 70 of them for all the different coloured brews yer every gunna make?'

The way I brew none of my beers ever have the same colour so I'd need the whole spectrum !?!  😆

Well otherwise there is that gadget that @PaddyBrew2 came up with which is some u-beaut festive bluetooth thing that floats in yer brew and sends you a text when yer brew has reached FG ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:34 AM, MUZZY said:

FAIL - Things have been so hectic lately I've failed to make any beer since early December. Got myself a brew fridge and an Inkbird just before Xmas and haven't been able to use them yet. I've been like a kid that got the latest and greatest battery operated toy for Xmas but batteries not included. ☹️

I think Australia day weekend might be my next opportunity to brew again. Fingers crossed.

Me too Muzzla!  Had a good chuckle at your post mate.

But I got one in this last weekend finally woohooo... See I do have a problem as my brew fridge is my keg fridge... but the keg that was resident in the brew fridge was far emptier than I had thought (read I had slurped way too many lovely AG pints already) and after weighing... I knew I could get my brew fridge back 😋  Cos the keg was very close to empty 😭

Currently the fact that said refrigeration unit is back to being an 18 deg C brew fridge might assist in reducing my consumption somewhat ; ) 

• Haha 1

Not an acute fail but only because I caught it in time. I had two beers to dry hop, one on Thursday, one on Friday. Thursday evening, I open the freezer and pick up the vacuum sealed hops I had prepared, sanitised the hop bag, filled it and threw it into the FV. A little later, I'm looking at the hops I have prepared and realised, I put the Friday dry hop into the Thursday brew. I was rather quick rectifying the problem and adding the correct hops to the appropriate batch. The Friday batch got dry hopped a day sooner than planned but well, it should be ok.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate d'you reckon they are the biz?

I thought you need to have 70 of them for all the different coloured brews yer every gunna make?'

The way I brew none of my beers ever have the same colour so I'd need the whole spectrum !?!  😆

@PaddyBrew2

Yeah, mate. I did another brew day the next day without it and I wished I had kept it haha. It's not a major pain taking a hydrometer sample but it's definitely quicker and cleaner with the refractometer.

Edit: sorry @PaddyBrew2. Your name's stuck there. I can't get rid of it haha

Edited by Popo
Paddy
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Not an acute fail but only because I caught it in time. I had two beers to dry hop, one on Thursday, one on Friday. Thursday evening, I open the freezer and pick up the vacuum sealed hops I had prepared, sanitised the hop bag, filled it and threw it into the FV. A little later, I'm looking at the hops I have prepared and realised, I put the Friday dry hop into the Thursday brew. I was rather quick rectifying the problem and adding the correct hops to the appropriate batch. The Friday batch got dry hopped a day sooner than planned but well, it should be ok.

It'll be Gold mate!

With your hop bag sanitising - I just soak the bag in boiling water/boil the bag...  what do you do mate?

19 minutes ago, Popo said:

Yeah, mate. I did another brew day the next day without it and I wished I had kept it haha. It's not a major pain taking a hydrometer sample but it's definitely quicker and cleaner with the refractometer.

But don't you need different ones for different coloured brews?