Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2020

ben 10

Not cracking grains for my first recipe brew! (Instructions didn't specify it). 

On 7/30/2020 at 10:16 AM, MitchellScott said:

Was just starting to clean things up before realising the shitty tap is leaking

This happened to me when I did a partial rack and batch prime into the Craft FV, seal failed and leaky tap. It was the fastest bottling I have done! Lol

Edited by pilotsh

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

yerp

What's the worst that could happen Benny - you get a Brett Infection and instead you get yourself a Sour ?!   ; )

My only thought/recommendation - and you really don't need any from me given your long experience - is to keep the ferment short and get it into the keg asap so if there is any spurious infection that the time for it to get interested is limited - and hopefully the yeast you want to fire up has already done its job - and once in keg cold and under pressure Phhhharque all is likely to happen?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Otto Von Blotto - I get a much more compact sediment with isinglass and polyclar. 

I've seen a couple of comments over the months about a 'more compact' trub, (so not specifying Otto alone here 😄 ) from various posters and giving various causes. I've kinda looked and thought, doesn't that just mean not as much is dropping out of the beer?

I would like to suggest some corrected English - the word to use is COMPACTED. 😄

See... I stopped throwing my sediment out in the yard - although I do hops tea so there's bugger-all hops in it, one of my dogs seems to like to go eat the grass that it landed on and then coughs a bit. So I figured, it has to go down the sink with lotsa water. The sink is up against the glass window/sliding door to the outside.

I just kegged a beer - there was probably a bottle left in the FV but it's like 35° in the brew room already so 'meh' can't be bothered. Took the FV to the laundry for cleaning. Took the lid off the Coopers FV (it matters) and cleaned that, then hoisted the FV and tipped.

Now, under normal circumstances I'd get like a thin porridge or gruel to wash down the sink. The FV emptied the remaining beer and before it could find the plug hole, dumped a solid plug of trub the size of the bottom of the FV and about 3 cm thick into the beer.

Beer!  All across the narrow window beside the door. All across the glass door. All over the sink and tap. All up the effing WALL! The only thing it didn't get was me, because the FV was between me and the splash!

The WORD, gentlemen, is COMPACTED, which means like, packed down, harder or thicker. Not COMPACT, which leans towards small or taking up less room!

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

2 mistakes to relay:

1. Using Belle Saison yeast!  Ended up tainting several batches with diastaticus, and having to pour quite a few of them down the sink after 4 bottle bombs in 2 weeks.  Too high a risk, tried uncapping and recapping, only to have every single one of them flowing like a lava lamp into the sink.  Bleached the FV, TSP, then Oxyper; waiting to see if the next batch does the same or not.

2. Highly embarrassing, using Dan Murphy cardboard 6pack holder more than once.  Went to the last brew meeting with a 6pack of highly anticipated Orange Wit.  Walked the 20 or so metres from the car, got just to the door of the shed where we meet, when SMASH!!! All 6 dropped out the bottom of the pack.... 40 or so guys all turned around at the same time.  Could only hang my head and utter those famous words that sum up the situation.... "f&#k".  1 bottle survived, and much merriment was made at my expense during the evening.  I am now the proud owner of a neoprene 6pack holder, which I will  be using for all future brew meetings.  Just gotta brew some more for sharing (see point 1 for reasons why I don't have a spare 6pack to share).

• Sad 2

On 1/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, Waynealford said:

1. Using Belle Saison yeast!  Ended up tainting several batches with diastaticus, and having to pour quite a few of them down the sink after 4 bottle bombs in 2 weeks.  Too high a risk, tried uncapping and recapping, only to have every single one of them flowing like a lava lamp into the sink.  Bleached the FV, TSP, then Oxyper; waiting to see if the next batch does the same or not.

Thanks for posting this WayneA mate - do you think it is a 'hang-over' of having had Belle in your FV?

I remember @Green Blob GB advised me a while back that Brett can be pretty fierce in lingering on in FVs... and I think @Green Blob GB you have an FV solely for Brett Brews for that very reason?

Is Belle Saison as nasty?  Sounds like @Waynealford WayneA you did not have such a good time of it?  Was that in like a normal good quality plastic FV like the Coopers ones?

I have a Stainless Steel Fermenter too - maybe I could get away with using Belle in that if I want to try... and nuke it after use.

Am not keen to have infections in my brewhouse tho -- so am wondering whether I should shelve the Saison idea?

10 hours ago, Graubart said:

Thanks for posting this WayneA mate - do you think it is a 'hang-over' of having had Belle in your FV?

I remember @Green Blob GB advised me a while back that Brett can be pretty fierce in lingering on in FVs... and I think @Green Blob GB you have an FV solely for Brett Brews for that very reason?

Is Belle Saison as nasty?  Sounds like @Waynealford WayneA you did not have such a good time of it?  Was that in like a normal good quality plastic FV like the Coopers ones?

I have a Stainless Steel Fermenter too - maybe I could get away with using Belle in that if I want to try... and nuke it after use.

Am not keen to have infections in my brewhouse tho -- so am wondering whether I should shelve the Saison idea?

Lallemand actually state that it is a diastaticus strain, so I will be using BE134 from now on.  Having a specific FV wouldn't help, as a saison was one of gushers!!  More rigorous cleaning might be the answer, but I was going to try BE134 anyway.  Stainless should be easier to clean than plastic (I have a large Morgans and a craft Coopers).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Graubart said:

Bleach or Idophor soak should do the trick.  I think @Greeny1525229549 does the Idophor treatment.

• Thanks 1