Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Trophic Cascade Pale Ale made with Voss Kveik yeast, cascade at flameout and Ella hops in the cube. Mostly pilsner malt with some wheat and some caramunich.

The cascade were flowers I picked at my buddy's house and they are coming in strong. Distinctive aromas and flavours of Sierra Nevada with the Ella providing a tropical lift but the esters from the yeast are helping the beer along also. It is weird, clean but not? It is definitely the yeast contributing a fair bit to the overall beer flavour and aroma. It is hard to explain, but it is a slightly tart thing going on, in the flavour and aroma.

Nice beer. I didn't fine it because I wanted to ensure I didn't mute any of the flavours from the flowers or the yeast and I didn't think it would clear anyways due to the ingredients and large flameout additions. I give this a 3/5 because I am not a huge fan of yeast derived flavours, but this is fairly crisp and very drinkable with nice aroma and flavour. I cannot wait to see what it is like in 3 weeks, for better or worse.

Day 10 of self isolation🙄,

Norris

20200325_181043.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MitchellScott said:

First AG beer.... Mosaic SMaSH. Don't think I have posted it yet lol....

Nice Mitch - well done mate and congrats on your first of many ripper AGs!  Great stuff!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleaning that nitro Keg out for a refill but these last pints are still pouring nicely - AG Stout - the malt bill of Munich, Carafa III, Chocolate, Pale Crystal, Roasted Barley, Smoked Malt, Wheat and the Base Malt of  Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt was definitely a winner...

image.png.9a14509fc0e7538c0e090f1d4c8bf493.png

• Like 12

Hoppy Kveik, used leftover hops - only flameout.

80.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min        
56.00 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min        
26.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200326142042290_COVER.thumb.jpg.9d365498135690f6672e0ecf9a6735b2.jpg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Hoppy Kveik, used leftover hops - only flameout.

80.00 g El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min        
56.00 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min        
26.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

I’ve been really enjoying my Kveik beers if late. Just hopping the bajesus out of em and it tastes great. 

• Like 5

Dug out an Aussie lager I brewed pre kegging set up. It’s Been lagering behind my kegs for a few months. Initially I wasn’t overly stoked on this beer. I didn’t have the balance right and seemed a bit sweet for the style but. Seems to have worked it’s self out some reason. Clear as. 

• Like 10

Fat Yak Pacific Ale clone.  Now over 4 weeks in the keg cold conditioning. It is Cascade and Nelson hops with the Nelson now balanced out and the brew is a delight to drink.  Ist time using Nelson Sauvin and I highly recommend. They are big flavoured and you would be a brave man to use a large amount in a dry hop but they are yummy.  Could be the best AG beer to date.  Just love the flexibility of AG brewing.  It may only be 3.6% but this is a full flavoured beer.  Can mask the lack of ABV behind a bit of body and some good hop additions.  

20200327_181548.jpg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

@Bearded Burbler absa bloody lootly I used POR. 😄

Great, I think it is a great hop.  I get the whole New World hop use but PoR can be used extremely well to make malt driven beers.  I liken PoR use to cooking trends.  There are many wonderful flavours in Asian fusion  and nouveau foods but I never forget how good a "filet migon"  is.     

• Like 1

Just moved onto the 9 week keg lagered Pilsner.  Made to Otto Von Botto's recipe except for his mash and boil times. Must admit it is better than bloody good.  I think next time, now that i have more experience,  I will do the recommended 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil.  

20200327_210311.jpg

20200327_211220.jpg

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

How do you clarify your beers. They are bloody awesome looking. 

This one certainly cleared up really well, but they're not always like that.  My last golden ale and NZPA were both a little hazy and I suspect the UK IPA I bottled a week ago will throw up a bit of a chill haze too.  I haven't really figured out fully what elements are at work here that contribute to these varying levels of clarity from one brew to the next.  My process is always the same - more or less:  A few days CC + gelatine.   I can usually tell at time of packaging whether clarity will be good or not.  This bitter was already 90% clear when I bottled it and in fact later bottles in the batch looked 100% clear... until the last dregs when I started picking up a bit of the cake. The others brews in contrast were still quite hazy on bottling day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just moved onto the 9 week keg lagered Pilsner.  Made to Otto Von Botto's recipe except for his mash and boil times. Must admit it is better than bloody good.  I think next time, now that i have more experience,  I will do the recommended 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil.  

20200327_210311.jpg

20200327_211220.jpg

Love the glassware! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Love the glassware! 

A set of 16 glasses 4 in each size cost $5 on Marketplace. Not sure actual sizes but in the old school sizes think they are close to 15oz, 10oz, 7oz and 5oz.  They are wonderful to drink beer from. 

20200328_083914.jpg

• Like 2

3 weeks ago due to home stocks low i put down 2 x toucan beers. Both of them were pressure fermented with US05 without spunding valves. This one is the coopers ruby porter extract topped off with a briess CBW unhopped pilsner malt. OG 1.041, FG 1.010. Has resulted in a clean very drinkable Brown Ale. 

20200328_132005.jpg

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Titan said:

3 weeks ago due to home stocks low i put down 2 x toucan beers. Both of them were pressure fermented with US05 without spunding valves. This one is the coopers ruby porter extract topped off with a briess CBW unhopped pilsner malt. OG 1.041, FG 1.010. Has resulted in a clean very drinkable Brown Ale.

Nice Job Titan!

And good ol' US05 ; )

Mate when you say pressure fermented without spunding valves - did you manually adjust pressure as you went along - like in Fermentasaurus or Fermzilla type arrangement or just in another pressurised FV you may have - or just let it do its own thing?

41 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice Job Titan!

And good ol' US05 ; )

Mate when you say pressure fermented without spunding valves - did you manually adjust pressure as you went along - like in Fermentasaurus or Fermzilla type arrangement or just in another pressurised FV you may have - or just let it do its own thing?

Just in the fermetasaurus no pressure applied just let the yeast produce its own co2 so yep essentially let it do its own thing.

4 minutes ago, Titan said:

Just in the fermetasaurus no pressure applied just let the yeast produce its own co2 so yep essentially let it do its own thing.

Bloooody beauty Titan - cooool - how long did you do the FV process for mate and what sort of temps?