Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

15 minutes ago, Titan said:

2 weeks fermenter. Transfered to serving keg last weekend. Ferment at ambient so in melbourne would have been betwean 16 and 23.

Gold.  Direct from Fermenter to keg.  That's the biz.   And on gas for a week at 20PSI... then off you go?

Brew No.3, (as posted 29-10-19)  Bottled 22-11-19.

This was the Coopers Kit Lager (OS) with added 1.3kg malt, EKG hops (45g boiled) and brewed using S04.

Dry hopped with left over Cascade (15g) and EKG (25g).

Turned out quite bitter, which was intentional, but 20g at 60mins may have been a bit to much.  May do again sometime but without the 60min boil. 

OG = 1043

FG = 1009

I enjoyed it, SWMBO was not so keen. Head retention was a poor. 

One bottle left, which will stay in the fridge a while longer. 

20200121_184626.jpeg

Edited by Abbot-67
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Abbot-67 said:

Brew No.3, (as posted 29-10-19)  Bottled 22-11-19.

This was the Coopers Kit Lager (OS) with added 1.3kg malt, EKG hops (45g boiled) and brewed using S04.

Turned out quite bitter, which was intentional, but 20g at 60mins may have been a bit to much.  May do again sometime but without the 60min boil. 

OG = 1043

FG = 1009

I enjoyed it, SWMBO was not so keen. Head retention was a poor. 

One bottle left, which will stay in the fridge a while longer. 

20200121_184626.jpeg

This was the one where I added the Lager tin to the end of the boil, 5mins before flame out. This was an experiment by me and was not recommended as good practice by more experience brewers.  I won't do it again. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, rodge said:

Sierra Nevada Autumn Ale -recipe from Brewman.

7370C53C-A3C3-428C-9460-B44123FB51AC.jpeg

Welcome Rodge - welcome aboard the mighty HMAS Home Brew!

Nice brew - and niiiiice table tennis table by the looks?        ; )

30 minutes ago, Abbot-67 said:

That brew is a great colour.  With that Malt the head should be OK wonder what went on there. 

Brew 4.

Presently drinking this one.  This was a Cooper DIY recipe, HOP SLAM IPA (UK - BRAMLING CROSS) with and extra 500g malt (1.5kg total) and and extra 50g of dry hops (100g total).

OG = 1046

FG = 1010

Loving it. Really fruity aroma and good head. Has a great old English ale aroma when swirled in the glass to get some air through it. Like a good old draft ale.

It didn't clear well but then I just brewed it as per instruction and threw it all in the FV six days before going on holiday for a week. 

IMG_0147.jpeg

Edited by Abbot-67
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Abbot-67 said:

Presently drinking this one.  This was a Cooper DIY recipe, HOP SLAM IPA (UK - BRAMLING CROSS) with and extra 500g malt (1.5kg total) and and extra 50g of dry hops (100g total).

Loving it. Really fruity aroma and good head. Has a great old English ale aroma when swirled in the glass to get some air through it. Like a good old draft ale.

Gee, your going gangbusters. Well done four brews in and you're doing huge dry hops, adding extra fermentables. Well done.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Abbot-67 said:

Light Dry Malt.

Might have mentioned this before - but if you try using a Kit - and then instead of a DRY malt addition - you use liquid malt - you should get better head and head-retention... worth a try if not done before.  I suspect that Spray Drying the dry malt product denatures proteins that contribute significantly to head and head-retention... which is retained in the liquid malts. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Welcome Rodge - welcome aboard the mighty HMAS Home Brew!

Nice brew - and niiiiice table tennis table by the looks?        ; )

Yes, been brewing for 12 months and this is the first one I’ve thought to take a photo of. Table tennis table has been keeping us entertained now that I’m working from home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

That brew is a great colour.  With that Malt the head should be OK wonder what went on there. 

Just looked my process again for this one. Can't really be sure as nothing seems out of the ordinary. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Gee, your going gangbusters. Well done four brews in and you're doing huge dry hops, adding extra fermentables. Well done.   

Yeah , I went for the extra hop edition on this one as it came in a 100g vac pack. The date was 2017, and not being sure how long it would be before i used any remainder I felt it would be best to Slam the lot in 😉

I'll be doing the Slam again, but next time I'm trying the HOP SLAM IPA (NZ) using this lot.

IMG_0155.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

My understanding is those hops tare very similar to Saaz.  

Yes, I've read on the brew description it was formerly B Saaz.

I'm sure it will be different to the Bramling Cross slam.  Recipe States citrus, stone fruit and mint aromas into the final brew ".  More lemon and tropical.  I'm still experimenting with hop flavours at the moment. 

My Hop Slam (UK Bramling) was bottled on the 7th Feb, and I have to say that the one I'm drinking this evening tastes even better than the ones I had last week. It is much smoother and fruitier, definitely getting some blackcurrant.  Great head still, the best I've brewed so far.  It's a pity there's only four bottles left.

31 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

My understanding is those hops tare very similar to Saaz.  

It makes an excellent dual-use hop, carrying an exciting fruit aroma with refreshing notes of tropical fruit and citrus.

• Like 1

Carbed up and ready to go. Although it needs A little longer to settle out

The midnight transit- Red EYE PA (see what I did there)
I played with this recipe in beer smith while sitting at the airport waiting to board the red eye home from Vietnam last month. Just need it to fine up a bit now. This is only true second schooy out the keg. 

pale malt

munich

Red back 

shepards delight

a heap of cascade, Columbus and chinook. 

US05

IBU 55

ABV  6%

E95A5C9D-C7D5-407E-A3E7-738D929916C8.jpeg

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Looks wonderful recipe would be appreciated... Thanks 

Ha ha mate it is just a bit of a @Ben 10 inspired free-spirit type make it up as you go along All Grain beer....  the below Malts...

Just see what you think....  Maris Otter was the main malt.

Not sure whether you are up for the gravity - 7.5kg of freshly milled malt in final Wort volume of c. 20L...

image.png.e47a338b0e17fb5d11f3952a902f6414.png

The Maize malt was just because it arrived as a freebie back when I ordered 20kg of LDME when I was doing KnK and needed using up.

US05 my favourite 😎 Ale Yeast.

Cheers and good brewing.

BB

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Good old school Australian Ale bittered and flavoured with PoR. This stuff is good. No wonder Australians love beer.   EBC 20  IBU 45 BU:GU ratio 1.07.  ABV 4.2% 

Looks stunning. I have been thinking I should make a beer like that. Where did the PoR come from?

• Like 1