Coopers Community

Cubing

Aussiekraut

On 10/13/2019 at 1:54 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Personally I'd just chuck it out, or maybe  use it for a yeast starter. You can always adjust your volumes next time to prevent having excess wort left over, although you will always lose some to trub in the kettle anyway. This trub loss is normal and factored in when constructing a recipe. I usually lose about 3-4 litres to trub, because I'd rather leave a little wort behind than transfer the shit to the cube.

I was going to chuck this leftover litre or so of wort, but I thought I might as well experiment with it.

It's been in the jar for 2 days. I've sanitised 2 of the brown PET bottles I never use and transferred the leftover wort into these, leaving plenty of head room. I've chucked half a pack of kit yeast into each bottle and put the lids on loosely and popped them into my fermentation fridge. Figured I might as well give it a go rather than tip it. I'll prob chuck some dry hops into them and cold crash the bottles and  then just use a carb drop in them once they're back to room temp. Once they're carved I'm hoping chilling them will settle the trub enough to pour off the good stuff into a glass.

If it doesn't work or it turns out shit I've not lost anything, might as well give it a crack.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I was going to chuck this leftover litre or so of wort, but I thought I might as well experiment with it.

It's been in the jar for 2 days. I've sanitised 2 of the brown PET bottles I never use and transferred the leftover wort into these, leaving plenty of head room. I've chucked half a pack of kit yeast into each bottle and put the lids on loosely and popped them into my fermentation fridge. Figured I might as well give it a go rather than tip it. I'll prob chuck some dry hops into them and cold crash the bottles and  then just use a carb drop in them once they're back to room temp. Once they're carved I'm hoping chilling them will settle the trub enough to pour off the good stuff into a glass.

If it doesn't work or it turns out shit I've not lost anything, might as well give it a crack.

Got nothing to lose mate!

I'm sure they will turn out fine.

Edited by MitchellScott

I might not dry hop, as there will be floaties even after CC.

I could dry hop and transfer into another bottle for carbonation though, it's all just trial and error. Not expecting amazing beer but U never know. Sometimes stuff ups or little experiments turn out better than u expect 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

I might not dry hop, as there will be floaties even after CC.

I could dry hop and transfer into another bottle for carbonation though, it's all just trial and error. Not expecting amazing beer but U never know. Sometimes stuff ups or little experiments turn out better than u expect 👍

Could also try one of those "hop teas". I've never done them but don't see why it wouldn't work on a small scale.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

My missus is a greeny so I couldn’t justify the water usage to chill, considering how much is used on brew day and cleaning.  

I decant 24 hours later. 

Dont really see the fuss over no chilling. Brew clever , not harder 

Hey Paddy

we should all be Greenies when it comes to water - there are plenty of ways of overcoming the temp cool... 

I cannot justify water when my tanks are my drinking water... 

But just letting the Wort cool down with a few ice-packs around is pretty good too....

• Like 1

So the wort I cubed the other day, it appears my lid doesn't actually seal 100%.

I'd noticed the wort level had dropped slightly from being chock-a-block full. I cracked the lid and squeezed the cube and refit the lid, only to hear a faint hiss, suggesting the seal wasn't air tight and was letting air in.

The wort sat in this cube for about 4 days. I ended up chucking it into the FV and pitching yeast yesterday. 

Do u reckon it'll be alright?

• Sad 1

On 10/14/2019 at 6:18 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Depends on the brewer. Some guys catch the water and use it in the garden or whatever, so it doesn't necessarily have to be wasted. If I used one that's what I'd be doing.

I water my garden/lawn so its not being wasted but yeah you use a few hundred litres i'd reckon

5 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I water my garden/lawn so its not being wasted but yeah you use a few hundred litres i'd reckon

Yeah mate I just cannot afford to pump my drinking and brewing water through a system as heat-exchange coolant... had resorted to showering at work until a recent storm top-up so as not to waste my beautiful drinking and brewing water ; )

When you are not on town-water retic you certainly work out that water is precious.  

I catch the first cold water in a bucket till the shower warms up (if tank levels can afford me to shower at home) and water me hops with it 😜

Am hoping for no late late frost now the seasons seem to be soooo pharqued up as the hoppers are just starting to show interest in being alive.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah mate I just cannot afford to pump my drinking and brewing water through a system as heat-exchange coolant... had resorted to showering at work until a recent storm to-up so as not to waste my beautiful drinking and brewing water ; )

When you are not on town-water retic you certainly work out that water is precious.  

I catch the first cold water in a bucket till the shower warms up (if tank levels can afford me to shower at home) and water me hops with it 😜

Am hoping for no late late frost now the seasons seem to be soooo pharqued up as the hoppers are just starting to show interest in being alive.

Don't blame you if water is that scarce mate. We all do what works for ourselves. Must say that would have to make life a bit harder having that concern though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who are cubing - how do you store the correct amount? I assume that most cubes are 15L with some maybe being 20L. But to atleast fill a keg you need 19L, so once you fill a 15L cube, where are you putting the excess wort to cool? From my understanding, you don't want too much air in the cube with only a little wort as this can increase the risk of infection.

How are you doing it?

I do the same. Also have a couple of 25 litre cubes. 

I find using the 20 litre ones I don't have enough leftover beer to bother saving it, or even any. I usually get 21 litres into the fermenter from them, lose a litre or so to FV trub, plus a couple of glasses thrown out to clear the tap area before filling the keg. Perfect size for kegs really. 

With the bigger ones I just put the surplus from a couple of batches into a 10 litre keg as a blend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

If you’re getting the brewzilla , get it direct from Kegland as you get a longer warranty. And they also sell 20l cubes for ten bucks. It’s where I got mine when I got the brewzilla 

That was the plan, cant go wrong with a 3 year warranty 🙂

I've still got a bit of extract to get through, but while I'm off work over New Years I thought it would be a great time to spend a few days getting the AG setup going and doing my first AG brews 🙂

• Like 3