Coopers Community

Cubing

Aussiekraut

Every time cubing is discussed Lusty chimes in with his BS rants about how much of a waste of time it is and how it's not necessary for anyone and how everyone who cubes should be better organised and whatever other shit goes along with it. If you look at each batch by itself it does take longer, but as a collective over a period of say a year, I can brew about 4-5 extra batches in the same period, maybe more, because I'm not waiting around for a fermenter to be available to do a brew day and delaying pitching the next batch as a result. Does that mean everyone should do it? Of course not. 

A specific question was asked about what reasons people have for using cubes. A few answers with valid reasons were given. Nothing was said that implied cubing is the only way, the best way for everyone, or an absolute necessity for everyone who brews AG. There was no need for the stupid rant against it because nobody was advocating it in those ways. 

• Like 4

Hi Worthog.

Please take my following remarks in the way they are intended (a bit tongue in cheek, sarcastic, with some substance, but with no malice intended)

10 hours ago, Worthog said:

I cube because I don't have the equipment or water to waste. 

Do you have a freezer. Most people do these days as it isn't the 1940's. If you have a freezer you can make ice. If you have ice, you can recirculate the hot wort through it to cool it quickly. Unless you live in a desert I'm sure you have plants &/or a lawn that would love the used water so it won't go to waste.

10 hours ago, Worthog said:

I cube because I can split the process into 2 enjoyable sub-processes on different days while I mind grandchildren.

You've got 4 odd hours spare to make the wort & clean up, but not 20-30mins to cool it & get the brew up & fermenting? 🤔 So get up half an hour earlier to start your brew day if the cooling process is chewing into time with the grand kids.

11 hours ago, Worthog said:

I cube, not because I am a BS artist. I cube because I  like to.😉

I like being able to run out to the Mr. whippy ice-cream van when he comes down my street. I can always catch him before he goes past because my brew is already fermenting away from finishing it off on brew day. I'm not stuck faffing around on a second day adding it into a fermenter & cleaning up more shite.

I wonder how many Mr. whippy ice-creams your grandchildren have missed out on since you switched to no-chill? 😜

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I'll give an example of why it works better for me, not necessarily everyone, but me. I have a batch of pilsner being kegged tomorrow and gassed up for the weekend, so obviously the fermenter will be empty. Because of other things happening this weekend that were planned some time ago, I won't have a chance to brew, and may not next weekend either. There's no chance during the week because of work. If I was using a chiller and not cubes, that's definitely one week without anything fermenting, and potentially two weeks. Because I already have a batch ready to go in a cube, by the time that two weeks is up it will be just about ready to keg rather than not even been brewed at all. It would be a far greater waste of time not using cubes.

I'll say it in isolation so it is clear what I'm banging on about. If you have 4 odd hours spare to make a wort, you likely have 20-30mins to cool it. Once it's cooled you can begin fermenting it. The process to do so isn't difficult or particularly expensive.

You're a victim of your own processes Kelsey, but it doesn't mean everyone else has to be, there are other approaches & methods open to home brewers. Occasionally it would be nice if when a new brewer to AG brewing begins asking questions about the processes & equipment available here on the forum if a few of you no-chill guys went the extra yard & mentioned the options open for chilling hot wort & beginning the process of primary fermentation earlier, rather than simply stating what you do, & that hurling the hot wort into a plastic cube, pushing the air out & capping it, & everything'll be alright mate spiel!

If you're going to offer advice, giving people a fuller picture will only help them in the long run to make the best decisions for themselves. This no-chill blinkers on approach is only half the story being told.

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Worthog.

Please take my following remarks in the way they are intended (a bit tongue in cheek, sarcastic, with some substance, but with no malice intended)

Do you have a freezer. Most people do these days as it isn't the 1940's. If you have a freezer you can make ice. If you have ice, you can recirculate the hot wort through it to cool it quickly. Unless you live in a desert I'm sure you have plants &/or a lawn that would love the used water so it won't go to waste.

You've got 4 odd hours spare to make the wort & clean up, but not 20-30mins to cool it & get the brew up & fermenting? 🤔 So get up half an hour earlier to start your brew day if the cooling process is chewing into time with the grand kids.

I like being able to run out to the Mr. whippy ice-cream van when he comes down my street. I can always catch him before he goes past because my brew is already fermenting away from finishing it off on brew day. I'm not stuck faffing around on a second day adding it into a fermenter & cleaning up more shite.

I wonder how many Mr. whippy ice-creams your grandchildren have missed out on since you switched to no-chill? 😜

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Well Lusty, nice little fairytale; I'll read it to the kids. But...

• I won't be buggerising around with ice and setting up a recirculation process which I don't have equipment for, nor a plan to engineer it.
  • My clean up is a mash/boil pot which I clean in 5m at my water tank tap. The 20L cube is simply filled by siphon and placed aside in the shed. The mash process is mainly not manned, and I complete the newspaper puzzles during boil, with a couple of hop additions, during.
  • I can't  wait to get up on "Fermentation Day", as the quiet light permeates the prior starlight. and finalise my product. Sweet time on my own, to also walk the dog before breakfast with the missus.
  • While you are chasing Mr Whippy, my grandkids have been taught to enjoy their carrot and celery sticks while I  teach them about the amazing work done by those pieces of live dust we call yeast. It amazes them that they can cause water and barley to become the beer their Grandaddy makes. It keeps them off the game boy until skateboard time.

Yep, sweet life, nice hobby, stress free. Love my brewing process and the tasty Pales we make. No BS. 😉

Cheers

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Worthog said:
  • While you are chasing Mr Whippy, my grandkids have been taught to enjoy their carrot and celery sticks while I  teach them about the amazing work done by those pieces of live dust we call yeast. It amazes them that they can cause water and barley to become the beer their Grandaddy makes. It keeps them off the game boy until skateboard time.

Despite the inference of teaching them carrots & celery are a better, healthier eating choice than eating Mr. whippy ice-creams, you are teaching them how to make beer.

As far as I know you can't get cirrhosis of the liver from eating Mr. whippy ice-creams. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Just going to add to this for my cubing brothers,  I love drinking beer,  I am not a hobby brewer,  so I do triple batches, sometimes two in one day.   I end up with 6 x 15l cubes of wort ready to go.  I have kids and work flat out so I make my brew days count for something.

I could just mix up some kits or do partials etc but all grain is sooo cheap and convenient if you cube your wort.

Everyone has a different agenda, some like to be as close to the authentic ways as possible and some just want to pump out some beer that is better and cheaper than the stuff on the shelves. 

My cubed wort is awesome and I highly recommend other brewers to try a fresh wort kit, such as all in brewing,  so easy and cheaper than extract brewing.  

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Talk about hornet's nest 🙂 

I hope you appreciate the BS I have to endure from the 'no-chill militia' just to get the full picture out there for you to make your own informed choices. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I'll say it in isolation so it is clear what I'm banging on about. If you have 4 odd hours spare to make a wort, you likely have 20-30mins to cool it. Once it's cooled you can begin fermenting it. The process to do so isn't difficult or particularly expensive.

You're a victim of your own processes Kelsey, but it doesn't mean everyone else has to be, there are other approaches & methods open to home brewers. Occasionally it would be nice if when a new brewer to AG brewing begins asking questions about the processes & equipment available here on the forum if a few of you no-chill guys went the extra yard & mentioned the options open for chilling hot wort & beginning the process of primary fermentation earlier, rather than simply stating what you do, & that hurling the hot wort into a plastic cube, pushing the air out & capping it, & everything'll be alright mate spiel!

If you're going to offer advice, giving people a fuller picture will only help them in the long run to make the best decisions for themselves. This no-chill blinkers on approach is only half the story being told.

Lusty.

Firstly, I'm not a victim of anything, other than perhaps your misguided badgering. Of course I have time at the end of a - try 6 hour - brew day to chill the wort, but here's the kicker: if I bloody wanted to. There also would have been zero benefit doing that on the last brew, or most of the others for that matter, because the FV already had another batch in it. 

Some guys are happy for their fermenters to sit around empty for however long it is until they brew again, or delay kegging/bottling a batch. That's fine but I'm not one of them, I prefer a batch to be fermenting pretty much all the time to keep a constant production going, and the beer is packaged whenever it's ready to be. Cubing allows me to do this more efficiently than chilling would.  

I have no problem offering all options that are available as equally as suitable depending on the brewer, but not to continually trash a method just because it doesn't suit me and I don't use it. Why is is so imperative to get the brew fermenting on brew day when other options are available? 

To add to all that, as I've already said this thread was started specifically about cubing and the reasons why it's done by some of us. Why the bloody hell would anyone suggest other processes when they are being asked about one in particular? 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Firstly, I'm not a victim of anything, other than perhaps your misguided badgering.

You are mate. You're a product of a system you've created that you don't ever step outside of. One only has to read your posts on your brewing practices over the last 3 years plus to see it. Repetition over & over again. I understand what works for a person can breed good advice, & you certainly do give that. What it doesn't offer though is options, & I'm sorry mate, but rarely do you offer those outside of the practices & methods you adopt.

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

..Some guys are happy for their fermenters to sit around empty for however long it is until they brew again, or delay kegging/bottling a batch. That's fine but I'm not one of them, I prefer a batch to be fermenting pretty much all the time to keep a constant production going, and the beer is packaged whenever it's ready to be. Cubing allows me to do this more efficiently than chilling would.

I'm not sure what your methods are, but my fermenters are cleaned spotless of any physical matter the day of kegging/bottling & then have a sodium perc solution added to them until they are used on brew day where that is emptied & then rinsed with a Starsan solution & allowed to air dry upside down until I fill it with wort & then the yeast on brew day.

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have no problem offering all options that are available as equally as suitable depending on the brewer, but not to continually trash a method just because it doesn't suit me and I don't use it.

Then offer the full options, not this 'blinkers on' method as an only option.

I'm not "trashing" no-chilling, so stop being over-critical. I'm just saying it isn't the only option. If you & others of the 'no-chill militia' weren't so biased in your advice, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

28 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

To add to all that, as I've already said this thread was started specifically about cubing. Why the bloody hell would anyone suggest other processes when they are being asked about one in particular? 

The topic is "cubing", the question posed is a little more specific.

To me it is storage of wort that could otherwise be easily cooled & started to ferment.

If you've made your life that complicated that you have to store it then do that, but don't hand me the BS reasons why, as I'm a practical thinking & 'get the job finished' type of man.

Cheers,

Lusty.

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Do you boil your rain water before you drink it?

I do

Have had a few problems with the piping from the shed - since done stopped the back-siphon that plod the previous plumber had put in -  and since then - pretty good - but I reckon best for drinking - but no worry for shower or washing clothes...

I only just dropped in - but seriously guys - you are both great brewers - and just honestly...

a really good mate of mine died on Monday morning.

Great Guy. Really positive. Infectious humour.  Always looked to getting a solution. Young-ish and fit.  Great Rugby player.  Karate Master.

Both you guys are like that in your own right... amazing levels of expertise.

I reckon - time to move on - respect each other's opinion - and let's try to move on as a bunch of mates...

Just my two buck's worth - and in Honour of me good mate Bob who enjoyed a good beer.

Cheers

BB

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I like to chill but put my water into my pool but if I didn’t have my pool I would probably no chill. I have tried it, worked fine don’t see the problem with it specially the people with water shortages in the rural areas makes sense to me 🍻 

My apologies RDT2. I mis-read your original post.

Nice to see a chiller on the forum. 😎

Your experiences & views would be very good reading in a thread like this, so I hope you share them.

Edit: I'm assuming you begin primary fermentation on the same day?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

Your experiences & views would be very good reading in a thread like this, so I hope you share them.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

and please read the above Lusty

• Like 1

Stop being over critical? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Read your own posts before you say that. You are trashing it. It's unnecessary, nobody needs to do it, it's a waste of time, blah blah fn blah. 

What I've done is create a schedule that allows for constant fermentation. It's efficient, it works, the beer is fine. Other methods work fine for those who use them too. My life isn't that complicated, but it works for me better than chilling would. 

My FV cleaning practice is pretty much the same, but I'm usually pitching a new batch the day after one is kegged. If it's kegged early in the week I'm not waiting four or five days to fill the FV again, or longer if I can't brew that weekend, or delaying kegging it. I could, but why? Because for some unknown reason the wort absolutely must be pitched on brew day, despite there being an alternative method that works just as well? That's ridiculous.

You say no chillers claim their way is the only way but you are doing exactly the same thing by claiming that nobody has any need to do it. 

Fact is that nobody has any need to do it either way. They just choose which one works best for them. If you cannot understand something as simple as that, then that's your problem and nobody else's. You may not agree with the reasoning, but that doesn't make those reasons invalid for anyone except you and your own situation. 

A simple question was asked, I and a couple of others answered it. There wasn't any reason to mention anything else in this particular case. If it's more broadly about general AG brewing then that's the place to discuss all options. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I only just dropped in - but seriously guys - you are both great brewers - and just honestly...

Great Guy. Really positive. Infectious humour.  Always looked to getting a solution. Young-ish and fit.  Great Rugby player.  Karate Master.

BB sorry to hear about your mate sounded like a good bloke😢

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

"Don't die Dad, but they die". Mates are like that too. Life is way too short for all concerned to go on stroking your ego for nicks.

With you BB, Guys cool the egos, please? Looking like the two tossers don't know when to quit? We really don't give a shit!!

As an aside, off to the Viet Vets dice ride in a few weeks time. 10.30am, 26th October starting at the RSL Lonnie if you want to rock up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Edit: I'm assuming you begin primary fermentation on the same day?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

As I said I have done both but chill 95% of the time because I can and it works for me but will make a no chill batch of Pilsner for my dad as he liked the batch I made and he can take it back with him to the country and ferment it at his place and put it in his keeper. So there is positives for both techniques in my opinion and if it works for you that’s great. I have never felt pressured to do no chill but when I did I did put it in the pool. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1