Coopers Community

Cubing

Aussiekraut

Guys, I agree with BB and Yeasty, let's burry the hatchet please. I could say burry the Klappstuhl but that reference would probably be lost on all of you 🙂 I asked a question and got an answer. I see both your points @Otto Von Blotto and @Beerlust and believe it or not, both make sense, based on the circumstances. The best scenario I can come up with is a busy brew day with two batches but only one fermentation fridge available. Chill the first batch and put it in the fermenter right away, whilst the second one goes into a cube for later fermentation 🙂

When I started brewing again last year, I joined this forum to get advice and information as my previous endeavours back around the turn of the century (sounds like a long time ago ey 🙂) weren't particularly successful. Today, I can brew beer that is actually nice to drink and I'm about to take the plunge into the abyss of AG brewing. This is in large parts because of advice given by the two of you, either directly or indirectly. Your expertise as brewers is highly appreciated by the members of this forum. Let's not harp on about a practice which some have good reasons for employing and others don't. I just saw in a few videos that people cube their wort and others don't and wondered what it was all about. I got the answer I wanted, I took info given on board and will now figure out for myself if and when I do it. The Guten comes with a wort chiller, so I expect to chill (the water goes in the pool or in the garden) but, should the need arise, I might end up cubing a batch. Hey, it's not that different to buying fresh wort from the LHBS.

Let's chillax (pardon the pun) and have a nice home brew.

Cheers guys

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 7

That's essentially what I was trying to say, that both methods have merit depending on situations, not that one is great and the other one a load of crap. This thread was started about one of them, so it stands to reason that the answers given would be about that one and not the other. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about that but whatever. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Edit: I'm assuming you begin primary fermentation on the same day?

I'll have to ask - you use extract that someone else has made and stored for you to ferment on another day don't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/1/2019 at 8:47 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Is there any purpose of cubing other than storage? 

Saves on water for chilling and power too. In summer my tap water comes out rather warm, I'd need to include ice of some sort to get to fermenting temperatures which takes electricity to make.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I'll have to ask - you use extract that someone else has made and stored for you to ferment on another day don't you?

Correct.

If I had the choice to purchase freshly made wort over something that has been sitting in a can or pouch for X amount of months for the same price, I would.

I do make my own fresh wort for my partial mash brews from scratch, just not in high volumes. I cool it & ferment it as part of brew day. Granted it is a little easier for me at smaller volumes.

Cheers,

Lusty..

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:48 PM, Beerlust said:

If I had the choice to purchase freshly made wort

Make your own, don't be lazy. The product is far better and cheaper.
You are using a redundant and careless process. If you can partial mash then stop using concentrates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Make your own, don't be lazy. The product is far better and cheaper.
You are using a redundant and careless process. If you can partial mash then stop using concentrates.

I can't argue much there mate. My position to stay "stove top pots & pans" has not been entirely by choice. For a long while I simply didn't have the spare coin to purchase the AG equipment required for the way I would want to make full AG beer. In recent times I've had a bit more spare coin & have been saving hard behind the scenes.

This thread stirred a few things up in me that maybe the time is right to move into that space. As mentioned previously, I'm more interested in the 3V route so have been looking around of late at what is available for what I'm willing to pay.

Spotted this setup from Keg King that I thought would be a good place to start. Keg King: 3 Vessel HERMS Brewery - Gas (assembled)

This setup would allow me to customise a lot of personal things I would like to introduce through the processes etc.

I'm seriously considering buying it.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 3

Cool. Interested to see what you can do with full control over your own stuff.

I cube as it works for me where I am and how I live. I have a consistent process and know how my beer will be before I drink it. 
IT IS NOT LAZY.

As you are not. 

Cheers and good drinking.
I'll need to catch you for a beer one day mate

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Cool. Interested to see what you can do with full control over your own stuff.

I cube as it works for me where I am and how I live. I have a consistent process and know how my beer will be before I drink it. 
IT IS NOT LAZY.

As you are not. 

Cheers and good drinking.
I'll need to catch you for a beer one day mate

I get a bit over the top with some of my comments sometimes, but I never mean any harm by them. I just like conversations about certain things to be a little more open & un-biased is all. Catch me on the right day, I just let it pass. Catch me on the wrong day & I can't help but comment openly & honestly. That seems to offend some people for whatever reason.

My comment about cubing being lazy was initially just to stir Otto Man up, but then escalated to some level where I am now considered a "no-chill" hater. LOL! I DGAFF BTW. 🤣

We'll definitely have a beer one day together. I would enjoy that. It would be nice if it was at "Benny's All-Star Smokehouse". 😉

Cheers & good drinking,

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

...My old man is old and prolly wont last too long. 

I'm sorry to hear that. My old man isn't getting any younger either at 75. He's got his share of fairly serious health problems, but I reckon he's still got a few good years left in him yet, or so he tells me.

You're always welcome at my place mate.

Lusty.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, RDT2 said:

BB sorry to hear about your mate sounded like a good bloke😢

Cheers RDT2 really appreciate your sentiments and kind words... mate yep he was a cracker and knew what a good brew was and was a great cook. 

And thanks to all of the other kind posts Brewing Legends... thanks... seriously.

Cheers Cobbers and Vale Bob.

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, Aussiekraut said:

the Klappstuhl 

Well said alter Kumpel! 

But wieso Klappstuhl - da kenn' i' mi' nett aus?

image.png.951b4de6dd80b7be4b19437caa2e096a.png

I guess why not hey? Bury the hatchet.... put away the folding chair... sounds good to me!

😆

Something like enough is enough?

Genug is scho' genug gel... sowas aehnliches I guess mate?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But wieso Klappstuhl - da kenn' i' mi' nett aus?

image.png.951b4de6dd80b7be4b19437caa2e096a.png

The quality is a little poor but I guess you get the gist.

Der Schuh des Manitu is a parody of the Karl May movies from the 60s, particularly the Winnetou movies. 

So schauds aus 🙂

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The quality is a little poor but I guess you get the gist.

Der Schuh des Manitu is a parody of the Karl May movies from the 60s, particularly the Winnetou movies. 

So schauds aus 🙂

Gold.

Sehr Gut.

Thanks for clearing that one up mate!

😋

On 10/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, Beerlust said:

I'm sorry to hear that. My old man isn't getting any younger either at 75. He's got his share of fairly serious health problems, but I reckon he's still got a few good years left in him yet, or so he tells me.

You're always welcome at my place mate.

Lusty.

Lusty,

Read the tea leaves. The Old Man is always to soon gone.

Suggest you get over there and share a six pack or two or whatever with him.

Believe me YB

• Like 1

I brewed an AG biab again today, however the end result was more volume than my cube could handle. I tipped the remaining litre or so into a cleaned and sanitised mason jar. It's not completely full and there's some air space at the top. It's been left to chill overnight in my fermenting fridge. 

Would it be alright to add to the FV with the cubed wort once they're at the right temp, or is it too big a risk for the sake of only a litre or so, which will have a bit of the trub as it was from the bottom of the pot.

Personally I'd just chuck it out, or maybe  use it for a yeast starter. You can always adjust your volumes next time to prevent having excess wort left over, although you will always lose some to trub in the kettle anyway. This trub loss is normal and factored in when constructing a recipe. I usually lose about 3-4 litres to trub, because I'd rather leave a little wort behind than transfer the shit to the cube.

• Like 1

I've always hated the amount of water wastage with brewing. Even an ice bath of my pot in the sink is enough wastage. I can't justify the waste involved in using immersion chillers. What happens to all the water that runs out hot afterward? Does it just go down the drain?