Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well Keg Kings - and with many thanks to you all - the latest news: My second ever AG IPA is now in the keg in the fridge being force carbed at around 12PSI… will let it gather up some carbs over a cuppla weeks for carbing and keg conditioning and then give it  crack methinks... the brew that went in... well... tasted like beer.... just a tad flat.  I suspect this might be the strangest pic you have ever seen but just for the time being it is practical having the gas in there as well to keep it safe, upright and out of the way.  So should I be letting a bit of C02 out tomorrow or so - this business of burping?

image.png.3b2fae4f387843d2cae9e2735550a677.png

I bet it last about 4 days before tasting.......... maybe sooner

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

I bet it last about 4 days before tasting.......... maybe sooner

Mmmmm - good point - but I do have a fridge full of AG HB Coops Glass largies right next door to it that have been lagering for a while - so I might survive my self-imposed conditioning period😆

But it is exciting... 

21 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It should be burped 3 or 4 times when you first fill it and connect the gas, after that just leave it and let it carbonate. 

Thanks Kelsey.  Did burp it a few times.... was keen to expel any potential 02 and also was just nice to test the system 😜

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

In that case it won't need any more burping 😜 just wait a week or whatever and it'll be ready

Beaut. Thanks mate.  It seems all pretty stable... like no apparent leaks and that lovely Harris Regulator doing its groovy thing... 

Brew/Keg Fridge sitting rock-solid at 2 deg C.

I will look forward in a cuppla weeks on cracking the keg with that SS Pluto Gun... is at 12-14Psi at the moment.

Use same to pour?

On 10/30/2019 at 7:11 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Well Keg Kings - and with many thanks to you all - the latest news: My second ever AG IPA is now in the keg in the fridge being force carbed at around 12PSI… will let it gather up some carbs over a cuppla weeks for carbing and keg conditioning and then give it  crack methinks... the brew that went in... well... tasted like beer.... just a tad flat.  I suspect this might be the strangest pic you have ever seen but just for the time being it is practical having the gas in there as well to keep it safe, upright and out of the way.  So should I be letting a bit of C02 out tomorrow or so - this business of burping?

image.png.3b2fae4f387843d2cae9e2735550a677.png

Welcome to the wonderful world of kegging. I keep my cylinder in the fridge too. It can’t get knocked over or hit in there

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, Spudley said:

Kegged my Passionfruit Mexican Cerveza ,cooling in the fridge atm and will force carb tomorrow, went with a dry hop of Citra , hope this one will be a nice Summer session Beer.

Sample taste was very good with nice hop aroma.

Hey mate was just reading through this thread and I realise this brew will be long gone but as I'm new to brewing and kegging I was just wondering how this brew went ? I'm currently brewing a mexican cerveza and have got some galaxy hops to throw in it and have been weighing up whether to do it or not 

On 10/31/2019 at 11:16 PM, Beer Baron said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of kegging. I keep my cylinder in the fridge too. It can’t get knocked over or hit in there

Cheers BB1! Good stuff... yes cylinder safe inside fridge was my rationale as well.. .plus a sheer space configuration thing too.

Am hoping this keggler works out... first time for everything... am thinking the brew that went in is ok... and hopefully the force-carb will run its course and I can pour a reasonable beer 🤔

7 hours ago, Stoobs said:

Hey mate was just reading through this thread and I realise this brew will be long gone but as I'm new to brewing and kegging I was just wondering how this brew went ? 

Turned out a good sessional drop , very moreish and easy to put a few away after a hot summers day, its definitely one of my go to Kit Beers when I'm strapped for time and can't do a all grain brew,

As for throwing in Galaxy , go for it , may be start with a low amount and work up, everyones tastes are different ,you may like a lot of hops? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spudley said:

As for throwing in Galaxy , go for it , may be start with a low amount and work up, everyones tastes are different ,you may like a lot of hops? 

I'm with @Spudley on this one @Stoobs… 

Any of the Coops kits can be changed-up a bit with that hop addition... and I love Galaxy... depending on what you want I reckon it would make a lovely drop... but if you want something tasteless like megaswill Corona then you must NOT add it... depends on you and who your client base  is ; )

I did a Galaxy Smash Pils All Grain - Single Malt (Pils malt) Single Hop (Galaxy) and put in a bit of Galaxy in early for the bitterness.  Kelsey @Otto Von Blotto did warn that it might deliver severe bitterness on the long boil... and it is quite bitter as Kelsey noted... but I love it... and then I put some more Galaxy in late for the aromatic hints... is gold.

It all depends on what you like and what your 'customers' like ; )

Me - I'd be adding it fer sher 😝

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

This is mine, can't fit the cylinder inside the kegerator but it's still pretty out of the way anyway

Yeah I only got a normal ol' fridge and ONLY one keg so got plenty of room ; )

With more kegs the 'real estate' in the fridge will become a bit more valuable so I might end up having to pull it back out.

And eventually am thinking a kegerator like yours might be a good practical solution to housing, conditioning and serving brew.

The new kegerator all working ok Kelsey?

Yeah all going well. It's only got bottles and a keg of soda water in it at the moment, but it's keeping it all nice and cold. I'm kegging the red ale tomorrow, so I'll stick that one in at the back on serving pressure while I ferment the next batch which is my AG version of Neill's centenarillo ale. Once that's kegged I'll start pouring them both. 

Tomorrow is a trip to Bunnings for some charcoal so I can get this bacon smoked and I've also got a blade roast I'm gonna put in there. I'll pick up some varnish as well so I can get the ply shelf ready, then just gotta get another fermenter, and I can have two going to keep the kegs filled and reduce or eliminate buying beer other than to try different ones.

• Like 1

I have to go and get a full CO2 cylinder on Thursday, so it's lasted about 10.5 months or something. It's already run out, but tomorrow is pitching day for the centenarillo ale and the breaks in the shifts this week are garbage, so I have to just pick one task each day, and pitching the yeast is more important in the immediate future.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

So i've just splurged $1119 incl shipping on the new Kegland Series X kegerator. Its brand new and has lots of upgrades on the series 4. I opted for the three tap option rather than the four as its just me who drinks it and three is a nice number of variety to have

https://www.kegland.com.au/keg-master-series-x-quadruple-tap-kegerator-premium-bundle-with-gas-kegs-disconnects-and-cleaners.html

Im gonna do  my first NEIPA this weekend on the Brewzilla to celebrate

• Like 4

FFS, I just upgrade mine and then they bring out a more upgraded version. Oh well, I've only got a three tap font and three gas lines anyway. I'll keep things as is until the fridge dies or something, then look to maybe upgrade to a four tap cobra and employ the fourth gas line as a service line, so I can have three beers plus the soda water. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

So i've just splurged $1119 incl shipping on the new Kegland Series X kegerator. Its brand new and has lots of upgrades on the series 4. I opted for the three tap option rather than the four as its just me who drinks it and three is a nice number of variety to have

No use going to the grave with a swag of cash and not had a crack hey Paddly!

leprechaun_01-f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5