Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time 2019

Titan

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

How will you lift them into your fridge?

Mmmm. Valid question.  Might have to move way South or up North and not have to worry about the fridge.

Hopefully the Huskies no like beer.

image.png.e92256a33bd8518a7c68030276ec6e62.png

• Haha 3

Hi all,

Read through a fair bit of this and am fairly new to the homebrew scene. Just won my footy tipping comp so have some spending money! Wooo 🥳 time for a Kegerator! So straight off the bat, am looking at KegLand. It just seems great bang for buck, looking at this here with a 2.3kg co2 upg as opposed to the soda stream, some new rings for the kegs and that’s about it.. anything I’m missing?? Or should consider?? 

https://www.kegland.com.au/keg-master-series-4-kegerator-with-double-intertap-ss-budget-bundle.html

25 minutes ago, Jamesrs59 said:

Hi all,

Read through a fair bit of this and am fairly new to the homebrew scene. Just won my footy tipping comp so have some spending money! Wooo 🥳 time for a Kegerator! So straight off the bat, am looking at KegLand. It just seems great bang for buck, looking at this here with a 2.3kg co2 upg as opposed to the soda stream, some new rings for the kegs and that’s about it.. anything I’m missing?? Or should consider?? 

https://www.kegland.com.au/keg-master-series-4-kegerator-with-double-intertap-ss-budget-bundle.html

To win a footy tipping comp means you know nothing about footy.

You should pick the CO2 as a winner, but if you plan on running more than one keg in your fridge I would probably go bigger on the bottle to save trips and changeovers. If you get a kegerater, space is an issue. If you have your old huge Kelvinator fridge........Woooohoo.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Worthog said:

To win a footy tipping comp means you know nothing about footy.

You should pick the CO2 as a winner, but if you plan on running more than one keg in your fridge I would probably go bigger on the bottle to save trips and changeovers. If you get a kegerater, space is an issue. If you have your old huge Kelvinator fridge........Woooohoo.

Cheers

Wow that’s a bit harsh, but thanks for the comment none the less. In other words, you’re a fan of the build your own keg fridge or keezer, all good. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jamesrs59 said:

In other words, you’re a fan of the build your own keg fridge or keezer, all good. 

I was about to go the all in one kit like the one you linked. But I ended up picking up a second hand setup and found it much cheaper to keezer it up. 

Finding a suitable fridge or freezer if one is not available is the only real possibility in the areolas. 

But getting one make life so much easier. Having somewhere to store the mountains of yeast banks you will eventually get is an added bonus not usually evangelized

• Like 1

2 days ago I kegged my Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic IPA in the new Kegland kegerator series 4.

Fast carbed at 40psi for 20 hours then vented the keg and set to 12 psi.

Taste test last night was awesome, really happy to be back kegging!

Like the upgraded duo tight hose  fittings on the new system as well, feel a lot better than the old hose clamp type fittings.

Cheers

James

• Like 3

Bit the bullet and went for the 3 tap keg land system, ordered but they’re out of stock of kegs, decided to go new kegs based on a few opinions. Put a session ipa down to celebrate tonight! Need to grab at least one keg to get me started, any suggestions there? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Basically yeah. Mine's keg king but probably came from exactly the same factory. Bloody thing keeps freezing my soda water 😂

Mmmm… water having less alc/solutes freezing temp higher...  hence more readily than the beer but you want to keep your beer that cold... so the water is freezing... is that how it works?

So if you want unfrozen soda water your beer temp will have to go higher?  Probably a nice problem to have as it means you have beer and bubbly water both on tap! 👍

(I have neither)

Well I figured out today that the soda water tap is flowing slowly because the disconnect is stuffed, rather than it being frozen. There is no ice in the line, and I checked while pouring some. This happened with another one last year; the springs wear out eventually and it doesn't push the poppet thing down properly in the keg post. 

So, I can have my beer and the water at close to zero and enjoy them 😁 just have to replace the worn disconnect.

• Like 1

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

So, I can have my beer and the water at close to zero and enjoy them 😁 just have to replace the worn disconnect.

Well that is good news as if I do kegging I reckon I would like to have opportunity for three lines and one being soda water.  Good stuff.  Look forward to seeing how it all turns out Kelsey. BB

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well that is good news as if I do kegging I reckon I would like to have opportunity for three lines and one being soda water.  Good stuff.  Look forward to seeing how it all turns out Kelsey. BB

Definitely comes in handy. I have a selection of Sodastream syrups and other cordials I use with it. I used to just put it on when one of the beer kegs ran out, then take it off again when I had three full ones ready again, but now it's become permanent. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Definitely comes in handy. I have a selection of Sodastream syrups and other cordials I use with it. I used to just put it on when one of the beer kegs ran out, then take it off again when I had three full ones ready again, but now it's become permanent. 

Yep sounds pretty good to me.

So are these 19L kegs pretty much the standard type device to use?

image.png.a80fbef1148f78aecb6bb686987add82.png

If one can utilise these kegs with the Ball Lock Disconnects...  having these sort of connectors might make things a bit easier?

And then I need all of the below too re Gas and then a splitter for more than one tap/keg...?

image.png.229281503276c9d8ff17c380a5fb28f3.png

Think things are becoming a little clearer...    Was there something specific to be avoided/pursued regarding CO2 Gas Regulators?  

Edited by Bearded Burbler

Pretty much yeah. I use ball locks but rather than barbs, mine are threaded on the end that the line connects, and a push in fitting screws onto it. 

As for gas regulators, I suppose the only thing I did was stay away from the cheap ones. I got a micromatic which has been great; Harris is another quality brand. They're more expensive of course, but I think it's worth it. Buy quality and buy once (or rarely). Cheaper in the long run. 

So instead of ball lock w barbs - ball locks instead with a thread and a screwed on push-in fitting... sounds good.  So I guess the line-ends then need the matching push fitting as well to hook onto that push-in fitting on the ball locks? (or am I missing something)

Is $45 a cheap arrrrrssssed Regulator?  Will check re Micromatic and Harris.. Ta.  Am same.  Rather do the research. Pay a bit extra and get something that works and lasts.

Thank you @Otto Von Blotto. BB

That was my preference but there's nothing wrong with barbs either. That's your choice. 

Yeah, $45 is pretty cheap for a regulator, it's one of those things though, some people have had problems with them and others haven't, but generally you see fewer reports of issues with the higher priced ones.

• Like 1

@Bearded Burbler I can't blow the picture of that regulator up so I am not sure if it has a shut off valve on it. Some do, some don't. It looks like that one does not have a shut off valve.

If you just tap one keg at a time, or go with a simple splitter instead of a manifold, a shut off valve on the regulator it is very handy. If you have a manifold, a shut off valve on the regulator is not necessary. 

Right now I am just tapping one keg at a time, since I just have one tap; I do not have a manifold. I am very glad the regulator I chose happened to come with a shut off valve. I did not know when I bought it that I would need it. It saves having to crank the handle on the tank off when switching between kegs. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

@Bearded Burbler I can't blow the picture of that regulator up so I am not sure if it has a shut off valve on it. Some do, some don't. It looks like that one does not have a shut off valve.

If you just tap one keg at a time, or go with a simple splitter instead of a manifold, a shut off valve on the regulator it is very handy. If you have a manifold, a shut off valve on the regulator is not necessary. 

Right now I am just tapping one keg at a time, since I just have one tap; I do not have a manifold. I am very glad the regulator I chose happened to come with a shut off valve. I did not know when I bought it that I would need it. It saves having to crank the handle on the tank off when switching between kegs. 

Cheers,

Christina.

It shouldn't make any difference. When you remove the gas line from the keg, the disconnect should prevent any further gas flow until it is fitted to another keg's gas post. Granted, I usually turn the gas off at the manifold when a keg runs out and I remove the gas line when I don't have another keg ready to go straight away but it's not really necessary when you do. 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Turns out it was flowing slowly because some idiot turned off the gas to the keg. I noticed it yesterday and put it back on and it poured fine 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

s $45 a cheap arrrrrssssed Regulator?  Will check re Micromatic and Harris..

I had a new KegKing reg which I used for a month or so however, as I was aquiring keg gear I picked up a Harris Reg with some kegs I bought for nothing so I ditched the KegKing reg and sold it.  The reason, the Harris reg has a finer adjustment  far easier to increase pressure a couple of PSI. So my verdict after having both go the Harris. 

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

because some idiot turned off the gas to the keg. I noticed it yesterday and put it back on and it poured fine 😂😂😂

Be Careful Kelsey... besides you, the cat who chewed the temp lines, the dog, who else is turning on and off the keg... ; )

I am only saying this as I got ping-ed for saying, something like 'if other people" did such and such... 

And there was really only 1 other person who would do the action..... ; )

This is all sociably said... as they say - many a true word spoke in jest - guess you will have to educate "the idiot" or prevent visiting idiots from access to the Brewery-Pub and stay only in the serving area? 😜

Edited by Bearded Burbler