Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

11 hours ago, Spudley said:

I got busy yesty and bottled the Stout that I brewed , bottomed out at 1013 gravity, 6.3% abv and all went into Glass bottles, 21 Long necks, 18 stubbies and put away for a few months ready for winter.

So quick clean and sanitise of the FV and out came a Mexican Cerveza 

1kg LDM

200GM Dex

200GM Carapils grain steeped and 50GM Crystal

25GM Galaxy boil for 10

Recipe calls for another 25gm Galaxy dry hoped on day 5 but thinking of changing this to Citra.

Does these hops go well together ??

Cheers

Spud

Yep. I made a session ale with galaxy Citra and CCA yeast. Was awesome.

• Like 2

Did my first brew for the year last Saturday. 

Cooper's Mexican cervesa

1.5kg DME

250g medium crystal. (Steeped in 2ltr water @ 68 degrees) sparged up to 5ltrs.

Boiled with 500g of the DME

15g Cascade @ 60 mins

20g cascade @ 30 mins

15 g Galaxy @ 5 mins

30g cascade @ FO

30g Galaxy @ FO

Whirlpool and steep for 15-20 mins with pot in sink of ice to chill.

Topped up to 21 ltrs.

Pitched rehydrated US05 @ 21 degrees.

OG 1055

Expected ABV of 5.4%

IBU just over 50.

Will dry hop with both galaxy and cascade, just not sure how much yet. Maybe 70 to 80 g total between the 2.

Should be a cracking Pale/XPA.

• Like 7

Not a brew day but the weekend is coming up and before you know it we will be heading down the cold wintery months. So the plan this weekend is to put down my baltic porter ready for those cold nights. This time im going to use some peat smoked malt. 500g in a 8k grain bill. Dont want the smokeyness to dominate but not sure if this is enough. Any advice welcome.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, willie_m said:

Done my first one since my unsuccessful cider (middle of last year?) on saturday. Got a pre made recipe pack from my LHB store. It's a 150 lashes style/clone recipe.

1 x Coopers Wheat Malt Extract & Morgans Pacific Pale Ale with the coopers kit yeast.

12g cascade steeped for 10 mins

12g galaxy and nelson sauvin dry hopped after 4 days.

Fermenting at 18 degrees and had a good amount of activity when i checked on the sunday morning.  OG was sitting at about 1.036.

Just checked on this tonight and the krausen has already gone. Is that normal for this ale? 

2 hours ago, Titan said:

...This time im going to use some peat smoked malt. 500g in a 8k grain bill. Dont want the smokeyness to dominate but not sure if this is enough. Any advice welcome.

I wouldn't use that much peat smoked malt if I was you. It's generally not recommended for use in beer recipes & when it is used, it is generally only fairly small amounts. I'd stick with regular smoked malt.

I've only ever read forum posts about mistakes brewers have made by using too much of this peat smoked malt where it ruined the beer to the point of being undrinkable. It is very strong apparently. It is mainly used in making scotch whiskies.

A good short article on the differences can be found HERE.

If you have already purchased the peat smoked malt & still wish to use it, get some serious, solid advice on weights to use from someone that has brewed with it. The only people on the forum here that I think may have come in contact with it are PB2, Hairy, & maybe Mark D Pirate. (sorry if I missed anyone)

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, willie_m said:

Just checked on this tonight and the krausen has already gone. Is that normal for this ale? 

Pretty low OG so it probably wouldn't take forever to ferment anyway. I know some people panic about quick fermentation thinking it will result in off flavours but your temperature is good so it will be fine. Most of mine are at FG in 5-6 days, from OGs around the 1.050 mark.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I wouldn't use that much peat smoked malt if I was you. It's generally not recommended for use in beer recipes & when it is used, it is generally only fairly small amounts. I'd stick with regular smoked malt

I had a look on the internet and yes 500g is way to much so i will only add 25g.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

If you have already purchased the peat smoked malt

Yes I have a kilo, didn't buy it, was gifted.

Cheers Lusty, I'm glad i asked the question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willie_m said:

Thanks Otto, how long can i leave it in the FV? The recipe i got said to dry hop on day 4 (today and threw them in this morning) but don't want to leave it sitting in the FV if it'll cause issues

I'd just give it 2-3 days after reaching stable FG then either bottle or cold crash it if you're set up for that. That's all it needs, any extra time is wasted. 

• Like 1

I also bought a dolly so can move the gf around with ease. However this has raised the gf about 6 inches off the ground. I used to be able to lift the basket just under the sparge water tap perfect fit. Now i have to rethink the sparge.

20190126_113548.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully finish off the keg soon so I can use the fridge for fermenting another APA/XPA:

1.5kg Unhopped LME

1kg DME

500gm American Ale Malt

500gm Wheat (Too much?)

300gm Light Crystal

15gm Magnum @ 30

10gm Cascade @ 15

25gm Centennial @ 5

25gm Galaxy @ 5

75gm Galaxy Dry Hopped @ 4 Days

Whirlfloc @ 15, Rehydrated US-05, OG 1.051, FG 1.013, IBU 34.5, EBC 16.3

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Smash said:

Hopefully finish off the keg soon so I can use the fridge for fermenting another APA/XPA:

1.5kg Unhopped LME

1kg DME

500gm American Ale Malt

500gm Wheat (Too much?)

300gm Light Crystal

15gm Magnum @ 30

10gm Cascade @ 15

25gm Centennial @ 5

25gm Galaxy @ 5

75gm Galaxy Dry Hopped @ 4 Days

Whirlfloc @ 15, Rehydrated US-05, OG 1.051, FG 1.013, IBU 34.5, EBC 16.3

Nice looking recipe. If you are doing a 30min boil why not drop the magnum for centennial to give it some more flavour?

I dont mind some wheat in the brews I think 500g will be fine, but that is a personal preference.

Let us know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

Pacific Saison 

Following on from my recent Wakatu Saison, today I threw down something similar -  a very quick and simple extract saison, this time a lower ABV and using Pacifica hops. 

• 1.7kg Coopers OS lager
  • 1.5kg LME
  • 200g Light Crystal
  • 50g Pacifica (steep)
  • 50g Pacific dry hop
  • M29 yeast slurry

• Like 4

I did a very quick keg filler with a fwk from all in brewery called Mercenary Pale Ale. I added 5.5liters, was supposed to do 20l but added an extra on accident🙄, should be alright, so 20.5l fermentation. I was going to pimp it some but figured I would try it on it's own merits with a 50g dry hop of Amarillo and simcoe each. I used rehydrated m44 yeast, because it is awesome.

Set the inkbird to a 4 stage fermentation cycle with 17c at 5 days 20c at 5 days and then 2c at 2 days and 1.5c at 2 days then carbonate on the weekend and enjoy on Monday.  Probably fine on day 2 of 2c drop, maybe might just let it be.

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 4

Just kegged off an American Pale Ale made with Wyeast 1272.

Kept the slurry so am going to do an American Stout with it. Never done one before but the style looks interesting.

19 Litre batch this one and will be bottled off instead of kegged. OG of 1058 with a expected FG of 1013. Mashed at 67c. Expected ABV 6%. 

Not sure about a small dry hop with this either. Looking online seems some do and some don't. Has anyone done the style and can comment on experiences?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 72.2 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 2 8.2 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 8.2 %
0.25 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 4 5.2 %
0.20 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 5 4.1 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 6 2.1 %
30.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 37.9 IBUs
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 9 5.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

Cheers,

Greeny

• Like 1

I made an American Amber Ale yesterday based around the Bootmaker kit.

1 Coopers Bootmaker

1.5kg Coopers LDM

250g CaraAroma steeped for 30 mins

10g each Cascade and Mosaic @ 5 mins

20g each Cascade and Mosaic @ flameout

70g each Cascade and Mosaic dry hop

US-05 @ 18°C

22 litres

38 IBU

26 EBC

My hydrometer read 1.048 but there were a fair few big clumps of LDM floating around. I was expecting more like 1.052 or something.

• Like 2