Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

In the interests of time saving im doing a reiterated mash this arvo. 8kg of BB pale malt. 600gms of munich and 600gms of light crystal split into two. Just finished the 2nd mash and starting the boil. Pre boil SG is 1078 in about 24 litres. Wanting 1088 ish in 20 litres. 80 IBU from the 60 min boil of magnum and sticklebract and another 10 IBU from a flameout addition steeped for 20 mins of equal parts cascade and centennial. Tomorrow morning im going to do a stovetop 500gm LDM boil with cascade for 20 mins. Half of the 20 litres will be topped up with sydney H2O and become a pale ale using 1272 and the other with the extra IBU and LDM addition an IPA using US05.

IPA to be fermented at 18c and the pale ale at 20c.

Both will be keg hopped. The pale with cascade and the IPA with Centennial.

• Like 6

Just finished my NEIPA.  Brew day went well. $84 for ingredients so let’s hope she’s worth it. Got an OG of 1.063.  I added 200 gms of dex to bump it up a fraction.  Dry hop day 3 with 30 gms each of citra Amarillo and centennial.  Then day 7 with the same 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Just finished my NEIPA.  Brew day went well. $84 for ingredients so let’s hope she’s worth it. Got an OG of 1.063.  I added 200 gms of dex to bump it up a fraction.  Dry hop day 3 with 30 gms each of citra Amarillo and centennial.  Then day 7 with the same 

What was the ingredients ? $84 for a brew is hefty. 

5 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

What was the ingredients ? $84 for a brew is hefty. 

Coopers APA extract

1.4 kgs Coopers Ale Malt

100gm Crystal Malt

1 kg DME

1 kg Dextrose ( only used 200 gms but had to buy a kilo)

US05

100gms Amarillo 

100gms Centennial 

100  citra ( sold in two 50 gms bags )

i’ll get more use from the dextrose so all up was $80

Edited by PaddyBrew2

53 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

i’ll get more use from the dextrose so all up was $80

So I guess if pushed across into bottling terminology with 750 ml bottles it works out at $32 a dozen carton....

Not inconsiderable... but if you get good no-nonsense beer still pretty good...

If you want to purchase all grain reasonable beers I suspect it is more like $50 plus a carton...

Or have I go me calcs wrong here?

It’s $3.80 per litre

i purchased some cheeky monkey NEIPA from their brewery a few weeks back for $4.50 for 350 mils which equates to $12.86 per litre 

what stung me was the hops and the 18$ APA can. All grain I would have the grain in bulk and would be a fraction of the cost 

4.5 kg base grain around  $13-18 depending on variety

500g - 1kg mixed specialty grains $5-10 

100g - 200g hops depending on style $10 -20 

Yeast - US-05 -$5 but can spread that out over 1- 10+ brews 

Whirlfloc - 50cish 

Most mine lately been costing $33ish and that's mostly due to the hops. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It doesn't really matter how simple or complex the ingredient list is, the process remains the same. 

There are plenty of tried and true recipes out there, if you can find my Vic Secret pale ale in last year's brew day thread, that one turned out very nice.

Can you also possibly direct me to a Lager Recipe - for All Grain?  Esp kg of milled malt...

I have got the good clear guidelines re temp and diacetyl rest etc from earlier re ferment... 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

9 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Wakatu Saison (Dry Hopped)

I'm building this partial-mash brew on a Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat can. It's recently expired stock and hence discounted.   I know from experience the LME will be perfectly fine.

• 1.7kg MJ Bavarian Wheat
  • 2.15kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 250g Carapils
  • 100g GF Sourgrapes
  • 250g Sugar
  • 20g Wakatu @ 30mins
  • 40g Wakatu (whirlpool/Steep)
  • 50g Wakatu (Dry Hop)
  • MJ M29 Saison Yeast

60 min mash @64ºC 

Expected IBU=27, EBC=7.5, ABV=5.5%

Nice looking Saison recipe BlackSands. I'll be interested if you are able to gain much from the Wakatu dry hop battling against the Saison yeast characters though. I admit I didn't know a lot about Wakatu, but found a really good article on it. The article is a few years old now, but has a lot of good info in it about the hop & some info from local NZ craft brewers that have used it.

https://protzonbeer.co.uk/columns/2013/08/24/kiwi-s-new-hop-takes-a-whack-or-two

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Nice looking Saison recipe BlackSands. I'll be interested if you are able to gain much from the Wakatu dry hop battling against the Saison yeast characters though. I admit I didn't know a lot about Wakatu, but found a really good article on it. The article is a few years old now, but has a lot of good info in it about the hop & some info from local NZ craft brewers that have used it.

https://protzonbeer.co.uk/columns/2013/08/24/kiwi-s-new-hop-takes-a-whack-or-two

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

I wasn't originally planning to dry-hop, I hadn't with previous saisons.  I googled the idea (saison/wakatu/dry hop) and stumbled across a couple of interesting and encouraging blogs by "PhDinBeer": 

https://phdinbeer.com/2015/01/03/recipe-x-wakatu-saison-batch-2014-27/

https://phdinbeer.com/2016/08/16/recipe-42-wakatu-saison-with-wlp644-trois-batch-2015-03/

Dry-hopped Wakatu Saison:

"Aroma is strong, lime, peach, a little yeast….yeah, this is a great smelling beer. 5 out of 5 on the aroma."

"I’m in love. Wakatu (waktu) is an amazing hop in the citrus family of hops. The aroma is great, the flavor is great and it goes well into a saison. I’ll definitely be making this one again."

"So these are some cool hops. They aren’t as aggressive as some hops but overall they are pretty nice for a light fruity hop. I would definitely use them again in an upcoming beer (I already have). They are pretty delicate and probably should be out in front, anything too aggressive would easily overpower them. I think a basic saison would be a good pairing for these hops, or maybe a little sorachi ace. I’ve done a Dupont saison with these hops that turned out nicely. "

I recall reading that article you shared previously.  For me it get's off on the wrong foot with what I consider to be a rather cringe-worthy title followed by a "humerous" anecdote, the basis of both being made on the mispronunciation of "Wakatu" (i.e. "whack").   Perhaps it's unreasonable for me to expect beer bloggers to be familiar with Maori vowel sounds and diphongs!

I also note this rather outdated article states: "Wakatu is now the most popular variety in New Zealand. It accounts for about 40% of all domestically grown hops." 

That situation has changed drastically in recent years -  the harvest figures for both Nelson Sauvin and Motueka now lead by a significant margin. 

As for my Dry-hopped Wakatu Saison - only time will tell!  My OG was spot-on and fermentation is now well under-way at 28ºC.

Cheers,

😎

• Like 1

Laid down a easy kit and kilo Stout this morning ,Coopers Stout, BE3, Morgans Dark Malt extract, Brewing this so can put it away to come out in the winter, 3 or more months to bottle mature.

OG refract reading was 1061 , I have brewed this before and liked it very much , fairly malty early on but comes very good with some ageing. 

• Like 4

Have 2 cold crashing currently.

4kg Maris otter
340g Flaked oats
530g RedX
500g pale wheat
300g Medium crystal
10g Topaz @ 60
30 Motueka @ 15
30g Motueka @ FO
40g Motueka @ DH 4 days
US 05

4kg Maris otter
670g Pale wheat
400g Flaked oats
250g Medium crystal
20g Kohatu @ 60
40g Kohatu @ 10
50g Kohatu @ FO 
50g @ DH 4 days
US 05

Cheers,
Hoppy

• Like 6

I brewed yesterday but didn't have time to post my recipe, so here it is now.

American Pale Ale. Based on Gash Sluggs Panhead Supercharger Clone

American ale malt 89%

Toffee malt 5%

Light crystal 4%

Acid 2%

5g Magnum at 60

25g Amarillo, 25g Simcoe, 20g Centennial at flameout 20 min steep

Same as flameout in the cube at 80°C

50g Citra, 20g Simcoe dry hop

US05

• Like 5

Started at 0500 today!!

Beer: Hoppy Pale Ale 

Batch: 23L

OG: 1.049

FG: 1.009 

IBU: 38

ABV: 5.3%

EBC: 12

4.70kgs Pale Malt 90%

0.25kgs Caramunich 1 5% 

0.25kgs Oats 5% (for mouthfeel)  

Mashed at 67 degrees for 60 mins

Mash out at 75 degrees for 10 mins

10gms Magnum @60

10gms each of Citra and Amarillo @30

20gms each of Citra and Amarillo @5

10gms each of Citra and Amarillo added after wort dropped to below 80 degrees

30gms each of Citra and Amarillo dry hopped

Yeast: US-05 

• Like 4

Last day before going back to work, so what better way to spend it than brewing? I'll post the recipe later when the internet finally gets connected, but I'm making a best bitter type beer with Centennial as the hops. 

This brew marks a few firsts. First of the year, first in this house, first time using the pulley system to raise the bag. I'll probably use it to raise the hop spider afterwards as well to try a whirlpool again. I'll also be able to have a go at measuring the mash pH, it'll be interesting to see if it's close to the beersmith prediction of around 5.3-5.4. Just trying to think of the best way to do it, I'm leaning towards giving it a stir then drawing some from the tap at the bottom to test.

Just gonna finish my coffee then go fill the urn with distilled water and do the mineral salts. I'll weigh and mill the grain while the water heats up. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Last day before going back to work, so what better way to spend it than brewing? 

Today is the second day off for my annual leave. I have 5 weeks off but never get to pick when my leave is. My wonderful organisation allocates leave. Luckily for me it is in summer this year and I will get 2 and a half weeks with the kids and then 2 and a half weeks with just the wife and I

• Like 4

Mine has an annual allocated leave as well but if you've already got leave when you actually want it then you just cancel the allocated one. Mine's usually in November and a bit of December but I prefer two weeks either side of new year because that's when it's the quietest, and it's boring as hell. They're changing how they approve leave applications this year so hopefully I can still get those four weeks when I want them. 

Another first for this brew day is doing a pool chill. I'll fill the cube and lay it on its side for 10-15 minutes as normal, then go put it in the pool. I'll grab a couple of spare bricks to sit it on so it doesn't ruin the vinyl liner. 

Strike water is just about at temperature. Didn't even have to move the car out of the way either (Mrs is at work).

20190114_100917.thumb.jpg.3cdb166ab85d6a49681e7894db8c4ea8.jpg

• Like 4