Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

On 1/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, Beerlust said:

I'll be particularly interested in the colour of this brew Hoppy.

Best of luck with it & if it's no trouble, post a pic once it's on the pour. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

'I forgot to post a pic of this brew. This is the best i have at this point of time. I'll take a better pic
Next pour.

Cheers,
Hoppy

20190223_230837.jpg

20190223_230905.jpg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Titan said:

Post boil sg for essentially the same grains.

Mash tun 1.062

GF 1.075

Must have read the mash tun pre boil as post boil only 1063. GF was 1080 post boil. What i will do with this is bottle 10l of each brew then blend the rest into a keg so essentially 3 different baltic porters in one brew day. I will post the recipies when i get a chance to enter in beersmith.

Brew day aftermath. Clean up today... beer and brewing do not go together, well they do but after the fact.

Made NEXPA, water amounts were all over the place in beersmith. Had to use my limited skills to get the water right, which still wasn't enough.

With a recipie like this, which had .9kg of oats, should I be doing a 'ceral' mash at the start? 50° for 20mins of so? just had issues with a stuckish mash

15509598767781048794433552798264.jpg

1550959898901454331147562953655.jpg

15509601830506030273030215124364.jpg

• Like 2

Brewed my pale ale today. I wanted to keep the grain bill the same as my last brew, 90% pale, 5% caramunich 1 and 5% oats but I forgot to add the bloody oats. 

I also wanted to keep to IBU’s the same but change up the hops so this time I went with a centennial/simcoe combo. Last time was amarillo/citra  

Target OG was 1.047 and I got 1.051. It is sitting in the fermentation fridge just dropping a few more degrees before I pitch the yeast.

4DCB798B-BEC6-4923-A749-E7028E195DAB.jpeg

• Like 6

On 2/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, headmaster said:

Greeny, The rubber can be phenol related, potentially from chlorophenols in the water, but you did say you used rain water. Did you use chlorine or bleach anywhere in the process? Did anyone add chlorine to the rainwater at any stage? Any new hoses or plastic or rubber parts used? 

Yeast can produce phenols like this, sometimes when stressed , some say due to yeast autolysis but that's unlikely as well. 

Definitely yeast borne i think headmaster. Never used chlorine or bleach.

And after ~150 brews i have my first tipper. The secondary condition in the keg did improve it slightly but its still there. And its bloody off putting. The missus tasted it and like me. The first taste is great and then at the end the after taste is WTF. No idea why it happeend but the dupont, belle and Be134 blend is in the bin. 

Brew day! 🙂

Spesh one today.

Christina's SFWH Pale Ale:

Briess Pilsen Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
CaraRed/CaraMalt grain 300gms (steeped)
Dextrose 150gms
Cascade 60gms @ SFWH30
Cascade 100gms dry hopped
White Labs WLP001 California Ale (direct pitched)
OG = approx. 1.046
FG = approx. 1.011
EBC = approx. 10.3
IBU = approx. 38.2 (revised)
Kegged ABV = approx. 4.6%
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ 18°C

Unfortunately nearing the completion of the hop steep prior to the boil I noticed the %AA on my Cascade hops is a little lower than the last time I bought it & what was currently set in my brewing calculator. So IBU is down about 8 points. I was tempted to throw a small addition in at the beginning of the boil but that would defeat the purpose of what is really for all intents & purposes, an experiment.

If the balances aren't quite right or it's not quite bitter enough, I'll know what to adjust next time.

I'm really looking forward to getting this into a keg.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Looking forward to hearing how this one goes for ya @Beerlust

It's an interesting area for me given my addiction to experimenting with hops. Many of my best beer recipes are FWH'd.

Once I get the beer balanced in an extract based form, I will look to create an AG based recipe for it. My current theory is this will likely involve a boil of grain based wort for 30mins, then a cool to steep temps for 20-30mins for the SFWH, then brought back to a boil for the remaining 30mins to create the bitterness aspect of the beer. A long extension to add onto what is already a long process for AG'ers on brew day I know.

It's purely theory at this point, but hopefully this extract based SFWH beer process produces something worth following on from to move it into that AG space.

First time using White Labs yeast too. Unexpectedly I found it a little cumbersome extracting all of the yeast from the pouch too. 🙁

Time will tell. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Once I get the beer balanced in an extract based form, I will look to create an AG based recipe for it. My current theory is this will likely involve a boil of grain based wort for 30mins, then a cool to steep temps for 20-30mins for the SFWH, then brought back to a boil for the remaining 30mins to create the bitterness aspect of the beer. A long extension to add onto what is already a long process for AG'ers on brew day I know.

Yes I believe this would have to be a very good improvement on what is a process for AG brewers to take the leap but hey if it improves the beer. Great news. 

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

First time using White Labs yeast too. Unexpectedly I found it a little cumbersome extracting all of the yeast from the pouch too. 🙁

That’s a bit funny because white labs actually spent a lot of time developing the sachets to make it easy ha ha ha

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yes I believe this would have to be a very good improvement on what is a process for AG brewers to take the leap but hey if it improves the beer. Great news.

My comments there are a stretch for sure at this point in time, but hey, I haven't ruled the practice out just yet for one reason. Longevity of hop flavour. It's the whole reason I began the FWH trail that is yet to disappoint on this front (IMHO).

26 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

...That’s a bit funny because white labs actually spent a lot of time developing the sachets to make it easy ha ha ha

Yeah it just seemed to clump & didn't initially pour like I expected like the Wyeast smack packs do. I'll put it down to me being a White Labs yeast user newbie. 😋

The buggar still better ferment well though. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

My comments there are a stretch for sure at this point in time, but hey, I haven't ruled the practice out just yet for one reason. Longevity of hop flavour. It's the whole reason I began the FWH trail that is yet to disappoint on this front (IMHO).

I’m a fan of FWH. Some hops are better than others for this clearly but it is a great use of bittering and flavour.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Yeah it just seemed to clump & didn't initially pour like I expected like the Wyeast smack packs do. I'll put it down to me being a White Labs yeast user newbie. 😋

The wyeast ones do pour better due to the wort inside for sure. 

I used a WL Saison 2 yeast the first time, trying to figure out why it was taking so long to ferment. 

After the second time using yeast from the WL pack I was like, yep, didn’t get all of it out last time.🤪

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I used a WL Saison 2 yeast the first time, trying to figure out why it was taking so long to ferment. 

After the second time using yeast from the WL pack I was like, yep, didn’t get all of it out last time.🤪

I had a giggle with this only because I was soo newbie with it myself. I had to cut the freaking pack open with scissors to get all the yeast out of it! 🤣

Next time I think I'll shake the p&#$ out of it to make sure the yeast is suspended more consistently through the liquid for easier pouring.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like FWH as well but I'm not sure how stopping and restarting the boil would go.

I doubt I'll try it that way anyway, I like what it brings in the traditional method and I don't really want to add potentially two hours to a brew day. I imagine 30 odd litres would take a while to cool down to mash temps from boiling, then the 20-30 minute steep and bringing it back to boil again... 

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It's an interesting area for me given my addiction to experimenting with hops. Many of my best beer recipes are FWH'd.

It's purely theory at this point, but hopefully this extract based SFWH beer process produces something worth following on from to move it into that AG space.

What about boiling an AG batch in two vessels instead of one? You could do standard FWH for bittering with the majority of the wort in the main kettle, and SFWH the finishing hops in 4-6L in a second vessel.  To Kelsey's point, it might actually cut down the length of the brew day slightly as the big kettle would come to a boil more quickly then if you were boiling the full volume in a single vessel.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I like FWH as well but I'm not sure how stopping and restarting the boil would go.

I doubt I'll try it that way anyway, I like what it brings in the traditional method and I don't really want to add potentially two hours to a brew day. I imagine 30 odd litres would take a while to cool down to mash temps from boiling, then the 20-30 minute steep and bringing it back to boil again... 

It would take at least 30 minutes to get down to steeping temps, then 30 minute steep and another 10-15 minutes to get boiling again.

Give or take a bit it is probably an extra 1.5 hours.

It is much quicker in a partial batch with a smaller boil volume.

• Like 1