Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Ok, this pulley system is way FN easier than trying to lift the bag by hand and stick a metal fridge shelf under it. I did try using it once at the olds but the clearance above wasn't high enough to pull the bag out properly. Here it's plenty high enough. No mess brew days from here on out!

20190114_123015.thumb.jpg.ca77c8edb29c17651792c982e1b0d41e.jpg

• Like 12

I only pay lots of attention to it if the volume is stupidly low because in that instance something has gone pretty wrong with the process. A litre or so doesn't bother me too much but I brew the 25s to fill half the small keg with surplus and blend it with another batch, so I don't like being under too far. Unfortunately that keg is out of action at the moment with a leaky PRV. 

I tried a whirlpool again today since I had the pulley to lift out the hop spider to drain it. Bloody thing took forever to drain even with only 45g of hops in it, will have to get the thick red gloves I left at the olds, to squeeze it out next time. Also will need a large stainless bowl with the bottom cut out to drop in post boil, so all the break shit can settle inside it away from the tap outlet. 

Otherwise though, a smooth brew day.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, Hoppy81 said:

Have 2 cold crashing currently.

4kg Maris otter
340g Flaked oats
530g RedX
500g pale wheat
300g Medium crystal
10g Topaz @ 60
30 Motueka @ 15
30g Motueka @ FO
40g Motueka @ DH 4 days
US 05

I'll be particularly interested in the colour of this brew Hoppy.

Best of luck with it & if it's no trouble, post a pic once it's on the pour. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I'll be particularly interested in the colour of this brew Hoppy.

Best of luck with it & if it's no trouble, post a pic once it's on the pour. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

No trouble at all mate, I'm bottling on Wednesday, so in a couple of weeks I'll chuck a pic up.

Cheers,

Hoppy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Today is the second day off for my annual leave. I have 5 weeks off but never get to pick when my leave is. My wonderful organisation allocates leave. Luckily for me it is in summer this year and I will get 2 and a half weeks with the kids and then 2 and a half weeks with just the wife and I

Get your long service leave up, then your employer can't dictate when you have leave as your request time(s) cannot be refused for this type of leave. 😉

I recently exercised this right. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Get your long service leave up, then your employer can't dictate when you have leave as your request time(s) cannot be refused for this type of leave. 😉

I recently exercised this right. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

My work can and has refused to approve my long service leave. 

As for the annual leave I still have to take it when they tell me. 

LOAD OF SHIT!!!

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Unless you have a fail like King Rudd a few weeks ago.

Haha yeah... With BIAB you're pretty much always at risk of a big mess in my experience, no matter how careful you are. Might not happen everytime, but it will happen. Hence my 2V setup. 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Unless you have a fail like King Rudd a few weeks ago.

The only way that would happen is if the rope snapped or the hook fell out of the beam above for some reason. Because it's on the pulley I can raise it quite slowly which also prevents spills, and it hardly feels like I'm lifting anything because the pulley does all the work. I had a slightly different setup at the olds, but it was also mess free.

I used to spill varying amounts of wort every batch lifting it by hand, but never dropped the bag back into it like poor Ruddy did 😂

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, Beer Baron said:

My work can and has refused to approve my long service leave...

Each state has it's own guidelines & award for the granting of long service leave entitlements. The following is from my state governing body (SafeWork SA)...

Taking leave

Workers can negotiate with their employer about how they take their long service leave. This could include the deferral of leave or taking leave in separate periods.

In the absence of an agreement, employers should grant long service leave:

• as soon as practicable after the worker becomes entitled to the leave, taking into consideration the needs of the business
  • in one continuous period
  • with at least 60 days’ notice to the worker of the date from which leave is to be taken.

Know your rights mate. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Brew evening for me ... another extract saison. Trying out the Coopers Amber LME this time, and I thought Enigma might go nicely. Going to skip the dry hop this time. If the numbers online are correct for the Coopers Amber LME can it will come in at 46 EBC. OG will be 1.041 and bitterness-wise it's 20 IBU from the boil addition plus probably another 5 - 10 from the flameout addition. I used a 4l ice brick to chill the boiled wort quickly and it was down to pitching temp in no time after diluting.

1.5kg Coopers Amber LME
15g Enigma (15.9% AA) at 15 mins
20g Enigma at flameout (15 minute steep)
5 litre boil volume, 11 litre fermenter volume
Repitched Wyeast 3726 slurry

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 4

@porschemad911 what temp r u going to be fermenting this saison? I'm midway thru an experiment of letting Belle do its thing. Pitched at ambient cube temp 26.3C and it steadily rose to 32C and I didn't let it get any higher. Fermentation was quick (tho still going) at these Temps. The funk will be interesting.

For my next experiment I will save the slurry and pitch a lot lower, say 18-20 and let it rise to 22C. I'll hold it there then ramp it up to 28-30C after 4 days.

I hear slot about 3726 so may seek that out if these saisons turn out to be a hit

2 hours ago, joolbag said:

@porschemad911 what temp r u going to be fermenting this saison? I'm midway thru an experiment of letting Belle do its thing. Pitched at ambient cube temp 26.3C and it steadily rose to 32C and I didn't let it get any higher. Fermentation was quick (tho still going) at these Temps. The funk will be interesting.

For my next experiment I will save the slurry and pitch a lot lower, say 18-20 and let it rise to 22C. I'll hold it there then ramp it up to 28-30C after 4 days.

I hear slot about 3726 so may seek that out if these saisons turn out to be a hit

With saisons I still like to start low. For example this one had a nice krausen forming at 17C when I checked this morning. I swapped out the ice bricks so that it should get up to 22ish by this evening. I'll keep it at around there for tomorrow as well, then stop cooling and let it go.

I've never fermented Belle as high as you are. I started low and let it get to the mid 20s for the 4 or so batches I did with it last summer. So a similar schedule to what I use with 3726, although 3726 comes out with better (and more) flavour at those same temps.

Be interested to hear how yours fermented up in the 30s goes. I have let 3726 get up to 40C a couple of years back, but that was right at the tail end of fermentation. Dried out slightly more but that could have been a function of time too. Certainly no ill effects flavour wise. 

Cheers, 

John 

I let the MJ29 have its head when I did mine sitting on the laundry floor. Got up to 28 on day 2 and pretty much stayed there til bottling, except for a really hot day where  we had the aircon on and I think it dropped to about 26.

Speaking of that, do people log there temperatures through their brews? Just wondering if it’s something that I should be doing?

It's not even beer and I didn't actually brew anything but just put down a cider. 

Aldi apple juice,  500g raw sugar and a solid dose of yeast nutrient .

Pitched a healthy starter of Kveik and once ferment has slowed I'll dry hop with Pacifica and maybe some Citra. 

Intend to back sweeten with more fresh juice at Kegging time to low - moderate sweetness 

• Like 4

I put my Panhead Supercharger clone on last night. OG of 1.054 in 18 litres and decided to pitch 2 packs of US05 into it. 1 probably would have been enough, but i didn't have time to rehydrate, let alone make a small starter so i just sprinkled on top. Saw signs of fermentation this morning and has a nice krausen forming now. Ill add the dry hop of Citra and Simcoe on day 5 or 6 and only leave it for 3 days this time.

Cheers!

• Like 5