Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

The Coral Sea Brewing Co. tucked away down a little back laneway in Cairns.  I was taking a few pics and the owner asked me if I was a private investigator working for the Liquor Licencing mob here to check up on him, (I must look like a detective ha ha).

Nah I said, up from Melbourne and I am a brewer so interested in your beers.  With that he left the front of house and all his customers and dragged me out the back and gave me a grand tour of all his gear and setup.  Very impressive for a little brewery.

Its down to Mission Beach tomorrow (Monday 8th) to sus out a coupe of properties and of course sneak a couple of craft brews in as well.

Coral Sea Brewery Cairns 1.JPG

Coral Sea Brewery Cairns 2.JPG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

In Cairns today, 30 C so good weather to slurp a few cold beers down.

A Cooper's Australian IPA slurped at the Barrier Reef Hotel.  Cruise ship berthed at the wharf in the background.  A good selection of Coopers on tap at this pub and yes it tastes way better from a tap.

There is another brewery over at the wharf but I ran out of time to try their stuff.  They also had a beer fest there on the Saturday but I found out about it too late so that was a bummer.

Coopers Ale at Barrier Reef hotel.JPG

Coopers Ale selection at Barrier Reef hotel.JPG

Looks great @iBooz2 and the weather sounds very good. The bar is interesting with the array of draught beers on tap, I could spend some time there sampling the goods I reckon!

Cruise ship in town is not great though, as I would imagine that it is overrun by the ship cruisers in town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

The World's Best Beer?

Weihenstephaner Vitus

IMG_20230507_205040168.thumb.jpg.a73d6479690db5ffc9afff5599f78063.jpg

Apparently this was judged the World's Best Beer at the 2018 World Beer Awards. But then when I delved further into it I couldn't find any corroborating details. Gotta love the internet sometimes.

Anyways, I've never had a bock before, let alone a weizenbock. I can recognize the wheat and some similarities to the farmhouse ale I had a few weeks back (guessing that's in the yeasts).

It's a delicious beer but I couldn't have too many of them. At 7.7% I wouldn't last long.

Great Beer.

• Like 3

For journalistic purposes I went back to get the name of the beer, Ice Breaker Pale Ale by Greenes. Not wanting to be rude I had another.

A nice pub by the river at London Bridge, The Anchor

IMG_8743.jpeg

IMG_8744.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

For journalistic purposes I went back to get the name of the beer, Ice Breaker Pale Ale by Greenes. Not wanting to be rude I had another.

A nice pub by the river at London Bridge, The Anchor

IMG_8743.jpeg

IMG_8744.jpeg

Everyone seems to be drinking from plastic cups. How common  is that?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

Some random Pale Ale, but quite decent. 
Lovely spot for London, by the (brown) river. Actually smells quite a bit but hey! I’m not swimming in it…

Sounds like you are having a good time in London Stquinta, must be good fun exploring the old Pubs. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

Everyone seems to be drinking from plastic cups. How common  is that?

They serve them in plastic either for outside or if there’s a load of customers. Not my favourite either but it would immobilise a member of staff every time some grogged-up punter broke one, and it takes long enough to get served as it is…

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Just having a wee Port to elude any Killer Python attacks!

Well, it's only 15c in Glenelg gotta keep warm somehow. 😉

20230508_141042.jpg

I saw a load of ex-servicemen on Coronation day having shots of what I assumed was Jägermeister. I asked one of them what it was and he said port - a nice shot without being over the top booze-wise. Not a bad idea, I’ve got a few bottles gathering dust in the Dungeon 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I saw a load of ex-servicemen on Coronation day having shots of what I assumed was Jägermeister. I asked one of them what it was and he said port - a nice shot without being over the top booze-wise. Not a bad idea, I’ve got a few bottles gathering dust in the Dungeon 🤔

Yes, mate it is very satisfying if taken in smaller amounts, contrary to popular belief it is quite good for you (I think) & helps with cold rainy days. The ABV for the low-mid range is around 14-20%, higher in the more expensive ports, so unless you start drinking it out of beer mugs, it isn't going to do any harm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 12:36 PM, Kegory said:

Schneider's Weisse Original Weissbeir

First time for me. Won't be the last.

IMG_20230505_203514230.thumb.jpg.1a1feb61f353b824ed95eaabdbc15576.jpg

Wychwood Hobgoblin Ruby Red Ale

An old favourite, by that I mean one of my all time favourites. I haven't been able to get my hands on one for a few years, until I paid a visit to Purvis' WoB.

IMG_20230505_211013531.thumb.jpg.a5a10783b8882b807f8e01e65d246ae9.jpg

I've been reading tasting notes on the beers I've been sampling, trying to skill up, as it were. Someone on Beer Advocate gave this one 5.0 out of 5.0. I don't disagree.

That’s funny, had one of those on tap yesterday. I posted it in the grub section. Lovely drop

IMG_8728.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, beach_life said:

Nice weather for it - Garage is not open so not much craft around.

@beach_life , The Garage certainly was open today, I had a Crisp Lager there.  Nice little spot would have loved to hang around and try out some of their tucker too.  They open at 3pm on Mondays.

Crisp Lager at The Garage Misson Beach.JPG

The bar at The Garage Mission Beach.JPG

• Like 7

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

No, where are they located?

Right around the corner from Coral Sea.

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

They open at 3pm on Mondays.

Ahh, thought they only did Thursday to Sunday