Coopers Community

Show us your current brewing set-up !

Beer Baron

17 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

GOLD Kelsey!  They look GREAT!!!

And contributing to combatting Global Warming.

Guy at work was saying to me today that driving through SW NSW north of Mudgee up to Qld Border and to Stanthorpe that he reckons the natural old normal  undisturbed bush is dying….  the worst he has ever seen it in his life... and this is an ENGINEER not someone people would call a greeny or other... just a good honest bloke who has driven that track for years and is now seeing that the drought is actually killing the normally resilient forest... doesn't sound good to me... though my mate the Barley grower has not had a crop in his paddocks now for two years... subsoil moisture nil and forecast for rain absolutely appalling. 

Whether it is Global Warming or not - I suspect something is going on, honestly - but anyway - out in the bush and country towns and country areas in NSW we are not having a real good time.

Cheers,

BB

We went down through Stanthorpe and northern NSW a few months ago. Been that way a bit, but never seen it like that before. Parts down there looked like a moonscape- just totally barren.

Hope they get good rain soon!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not so much the brewing set up but is now powering the brewing set up, so the urn will essentially run for free as will the fridges during the day, had it installed yesterday. Will be good to put the saved money towards other things, brewing ingredients for one 😂

20191022_165734.thumb.jpg.82243e011ae7b0b3ebd4a1524bd0a114.jpg

Good on ya. We had some installed last week. Just waiting on Origin to install the smart meter. Then the Guten can use up a few kW on brew days without driving the power bill up 🙂 

• Like 2

Yep they're good! I put a 5kw setup in about 12 months ago and it helps a lot with the power bills. I haven't intentionally changed usage habits to take advantage of free power during the day either, although my wife doesn't feel guilty about running the split system or evap cooling during the day any more. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

Yeah I haven't changed a lot either, looking at today's graph and consumption percentages the usage is about what I expected anyway with both  our work hours and me being home in the middle of the day, bugger all overnight and most consumption from mid morning to evening, which works well for a solar system. 

One thing that was deliberately changed was the hot water system, it is on a timer now between 11am and 2pm. Also have a 5kw system and waiting on the meter change. It's been spinning backwards most of the day since the system went in 😂

Screenshot_20191024-223142_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b0e6f1f896d03dab94cd110922458f57.jpg

20191024_223407.jpg.f40b3c832dd960a159c3c525ea28ca67.jpg

• Like 2

Got our solar system about 10 or so years ago. Only a 1.5 kwh system. Back then 1.5s were the only affordable systems for the average Joe because of the rebates offered by SA gov't at the time.
For example, our 1.5 kwh was $3,000. A 3 kwh system from the same company was over $8,000. I asked them why would I buy a 3kwh system when I can get 2 x 1.5 for $2,000 less? The answer was the govt only give rebates on up to 1.5 kwh and only one rebate per home. Because we were into solar early-ish, our feed in tariffs into the grid were really generous. The only problem is having such a small unit we don't do much feeding in. Once our feed in tariff deal finishes in a few years, I'm getting something that will power the whole house - 6kwh or more. Maybe batteries too if they're affordable.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

Fair enough. I'm not sure what it was like here, didn't own a home then so not something I was really looking at. I decided to get in before the rebate reduction on January 1, which took almost 40% off the installation cost. 

The standard/minimum feed in tariff is crap here as it probably is everywhere, but by shopping around or threatening to change retailers you can usually get something half decent. If I can get something like 15-17c per kWh then at the current rate of export of around 23kwh a day vs grid usage it would probably just about give us a credit. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, Beer Baron said:

I want to save water. I think I will switch to no chill soon

BB1 am thinking of maybe having heat exchange spirals in two places - one in brew to collect the heat and then just using ice-bricks in the cooling part... and pump water round and round...  but dunno how many ice bricks I will need... anyway... am with you... got no water to waste... only got me poor old tanks that are getting lower and lower... 

Cheers 

BB2

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

BB1 am thinking of maybe having heat exchange spirals in two places - one in brew to collect the heat and then just using ice-bricks in the cooling part... and pump water round and round...  but dunno how many ice bricks I will need... anyway... am with you... got no water to waste... only got me poor old tanks that are getting lower and lower... 

Cheers 

BB2

I'm intending to collect the chill water in large plastic containers I use to soak and rinse bottles. When that's done, the water can be used in the garden or the pool. Well, maybe not the soaking water 🙂 It is becoming an issue even in the non-drought areas. Haven't been out to Wivenhoe in a while but I guess the water levels aren't that great. I wouldn't be surprised if restrictions were on the cards again soon. We had a little rain the other week but nothing worth writing home about. I'm glad I don't have to rely on tank water though. Scary thought.

• Like 1

I use a counter flow chiller and I tried to get my wort as low as I could and I reckon I used well over 300L to chill to 24 degrees. I had 2 watering cans and used them to fill up my water tank by lifting them well above my head and tipping them into the top of the tank. Hard work

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the second ferment fridge up and running today chilling the 2278 starter in preparation to pitch it on Tuesday. Dropped from 30ish to about 16 in the first hour. Currently at 15.3, set the inkbird to 2 degrees with a 2 degree hysteresis, as the probe is just dangling in the fridge. There should be enough room to put the cube in with it tomorrow night to chill down to pitching temp too. 

I like the wifi connection on the controller, I'll be away next weekend when it will be due to be raised to 18, so I can do that from Melbourne rather than waiting until I'm home. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, MitchBastard said:

Brew gear increasing. Fairly modest set up that I move around on brew days. Guten, a cheap urn for sparging and a few bits n bobs.

ferment freezer on the left and a lagering/ferment fridge on the right. The fridge might be converted to a kegger over the next few weeks.

And a few LP Records on the shelf maybe?  ; )

Or have I stuffed up badly here?

image.png.3c11a4f9c25f0759dbcdf310ff80b5d5.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I like the wifi connection on the controller, I'll be away next weekend when it will be due to be raised to 18, so I can do that from Melbourne rather than waiting until I'm home. 

But you then must have a local network (LAN) in your house that you can log into with your phone which links to the Inkbird?

I get the wifi off phone if you are within cooee...  so phone to Inkbird directly... 

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But you then must have a local network (LAN) in your house that you can log into with your phone which links to the Inkbird?

I get the wifi off phone if you are within cooee...  so phone to Inkbird directly... 

I have some WiFi enabled power points which use an external server to connect. They connect to a hub and so does my phone and the server passes on the commands from my phone to the power points. This allows me to switch them via the Internet. I guess the InkBird works the same way.  If not, then yep, a VPN would be required.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

As long as the wifi is on at home I can look at the inkbird on my phone anywhere. 

• Like 1

So, a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to online. 

The inkbird is out on the second ferment fridge, set temp is zero, and the heating and cooling differences are both 2 degrees. The only trouble is, the fridge doesn't appear to kick in when it rises to 2 degrees, it keeps going up to almost 5 degrees before it comes on again which I assume would be what it does just running as normal plugged straight into the mains. I changed the differences to 1 degree as well as dropped the compressor delay down to 2 minutes and it hasn't made any difference. What gives?

I looked at it about 15 minutes ago and it was at 4.9 and dropping, now down to 2. Obviously the fridge is fine, but it should start cooling when it hits 2 degrees, I could understand it warming a little bit more while the thing starts up but it should not be going as high as it is. The STC on the other fridge works properly on the same settings, that one is cycling between zero or maybe a little under and 2-2.2 or so. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto