Coopers Community

Show us your current brewing set-up !

Beer Baron

22 hours ago, muzzag said:

Thanks for your vote of confidence BB, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that leap yet. I'm just happy making a reasonable drop to drink and I don't have to take out a mortgage to satisfy my taste buds. I imagine there is a lot more involved in AG,both technical and buying more equipment, so will stick with what im doing for now, but I'll be sure to ask here for help.BTW I had my first bottle bomb on the last batch, but I suspect I might have put 2carb drops in a 330ml,as none of the others have blown.

Cheers muz

What was the bottle type that blew?  I had a kit n malt kilo heavy duty Wheatie I did and bottled way too early which resulted in massive overcarbonation but all in Coops heavy largies… and no explosions.  Just interested in what your 330 bottle brand was that went bang Muz?

And re All Grain... yes you have to buy some gear... you need somewhere to put it...  you have to have the time.  I am only starting... but have finally got the time to spend... and really enjoy it.

AND it does take me ages.... am sure there are other Brewers out there doing things faster and more efficiently.... but the time I am doing it I really really enjoy so am happy to blow those extra hours doing something festive which provides great results... and there are just so many opportunities in trying different recipes.  Anyway... one step at a time... I did KnK for a long time and your facilities/set-up look great.

Cheers,

BB

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What was the bottle type that blew?  I had a kit n malt kilo heavy duty Wheatie I did and bottled way too early which resulted in massive overcarbonation but all in Coops heavy largies… and no explosions.  Just interested in what your 330 bottle brand was that went bang Muz?

And re All Grain... yes you have to buy some gear... you need somewhere to put it...  you have to have the time.  I am only starting... but have finally got the time to spend... and really enjoy it.

AND it does take me ages.... am sure there are other Brewers out there doing things faster and more efficiently.... but the time I am doing it I really really enjoy so am happy to blow those extra hours doing something festive which provides great results... and there are just so many opportunities in trying different recipes.  Anyway... one step at a time... I did KnK for a long time and your facilities/set-up look great.

Cheers,

BB

Hi BB re the stubbie that blew - it was a German erberbrau (spelling could be sus), I bought a heap off a guy that was standardizing the size of his stubbies, and I got these cheap $3/carton, and they're not twist tops.(easier to cap i.m.o)

21 hours ago, muzzag said:

Hi BB re the stubbie that blew - it was a German erberbrau (spelling could be sus), I bought a heap off a guy that was standardizing the size of his stubbies, and I got these cheap $3/carton, and they're not twist tops.(easier to cap i.m.o)

Hey Muz,

aaah the Überbräu…. they will be much better with your brew inside them.

I think they would be better named Unterbräu Lager rather than Überbräu Lager ; )

I have no experience with their bottle glass thickness... but can recommend Coopers Largies at a half-a-kilo glass each... best largies in Aussie.

And the flip top bottles that pop up at Aldi are good - Flensburger… Bergbräu… tough little nuggets they are and are built for refilling... and if rubber washers etc kept clean just need to clip back on the swingtop.

But agreed v much that in general crown-cork bottles are better than Twisties.

Cheers and good brewing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And the flip top bottles that pop up at Aldi are good - Flensburger… Bergbräu… tough little nuggets they are and are built for refilling... and if rubber washers etc kept clean just need to clip back on the swingtop.

Those Flensburger bottles are great - I’ve only got 12 so currently (im)patiently waiting for them to come back on sale at Aldi. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

Those Flensburger bottles are great - I’ve only got 12 so currently (im)patiently waiting for them to come back on sale at Aldi. 

Good stuff Gazz.  Got me a swag of the Flensies off Aldi but find them tiring on filling. 

Am more a lover of the Coops Largies… faster to fill a batch. 

Tho when I get anyone within Cooee who might offer to help and it is bottling day I race for the little ones.... woohoo! 😝

And I am fortunate of having a halfa dozen or so of big 1125 type Swingers a mate got I think from Canada years ago and had in the back of his shed fortunately clean!

Think Aldi generally do run Flens around late Sep - early October - with the focus on Oktoberfest...  I have got Bergbräu too... but cannot remember when they came in.

• Thanks 1

Yeah - 500ml Flensies would be nice! C’mon Aldi! 😁 

I did also get a heap of the 500ml English ales that Aldi are currently doing so I’ve got about 24 of those bottles currently soaking getting ready for bottling my FRANKENIPA on Wednesday.

BTW those English ales at Aldi are really good - I reckon the Medusa red ale is the pick of the bunch but they’re all very good,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gazzala said:

Yeah - 500ml Flensies would be nice! C’mon Aldi! 😁 

I did also get a heap of the 500ml English ales that Aldi are currently doing so I’ve got about 24 of those bottles currently soaking getting ready for bottling my FRANKENIPA on Wednesday.

BTW those English ales at Aldi are really good - I reckon the Medusa red ale is the pick of the bunch but they’re all very good,

Uh ok - have not tried the English Ales from Aldi... coooool.

Yes and deffo 500ml Flensburger swingtops would be great. Completely agree there - the 330s take a while fililng.

Edited by Bearded Burbler

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good stuff Gazz.  Got me a swag of the Flensies off Aldi but find them tiring on filling. 

Am more a lover of the Coops Largies… faster to fill a batch. 

Tho when I get anyone within Cooee who might offer to help and it is bottling day I race for the little ones.... woohoo! 😝

And I am fortunate of having a halfa dozen or so of big 1125 type Swingers a mate got I think from Canada years ago and had in the back of his shed fortunately clean!

Think Aldi generally do run Flens around late Sep - early October - with the focus on Oktoberfest...  I have got Bergbräu too... but cannot remember when they came in.

Whats your opinion on the mangrove jack's 750ml swing top glass bottles?

ive just grabbed a 12 pack box for around 25-26$. ill be devo if they are general shite. 

As they looked and felt quite good in the filling etc. Aswell as the a nice tight seal on the swing lid...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drewbert said:

Whats your opinion on the mangrove jack's 750ml swing top glass bottles?

ive just grabbed a 12 pack box for around 25-26$. ill be devo if they are general shite. 

As they looked and felt quite good in the filling etc. Aswell as the a nice tight seal on the swing lid...

I bought some 750ml swing tops second hand a while back.  I do not know what brand they are but really disappointed.  Very inconsistent bottle carbonation.  So much so that I do not use them any more.  The seals look in good condition, just might be too thin.

They never sealed as well as my 450ml Grolsch's.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I bought some 750ml swing tops second hand a while back.  I do not know what brand they are but really disappointed.  Very inconsistent bottle carbonation.  So much so that I do not use them any more.  The seals look in good condition, just might be too thin.

They never sealed as well as my 450ml Grolsch's.

faaaark.

i hope mine dont go like that. 

ive only got cider in them atm, but still....

• Sad 1

Hey there DB and SOS - mates I canna help yee I am terribly sorry... though I reckon I saw the bottles on their website ages ago and they did look ok.

I thought that MJ kit were pretty good too - but their heat belt - am not impressed.  Their temp controller is ok - but Inkbird better.

So DB maybe you are our Chief Brewery Swingtop Bottling investigator to do the research and advise for us 😜

My gut feel is same as Shamus - that they should be ok - as they have been specifically produced for re-use in the beer brewing game, so hopefully nice and thick tough glass.

Am really looking forward to hearing what you find out DB mate!

Shamus - really disappointed to hear of a bad run on your second hand swingers... guess we do not know brand hey?

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Shamus - really disappointed to hear of a bad run on your second hand swingers... guess we do not know brand hey?

No.  They just have a "BC" in the middle of the base and a number near the edge.  The number varies.  00, 01, 04, 06, etc.

I reckon that the guy who had them before me fitted them all with new seals.  However, the seals are just a bit thinner than the Grolschies.  If I could be fagged fitting them with rubber Grolsch seals (which I do have) and which are thicker, they might do better.  Just do not want to risk loosing half a dozen long-necks worth of brew on such a test when I have plenty of other bottles that seal just fine.

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

No.  They just have a "BC" in the middle of the base and a number near the edge.  The number varies.  00, 01, 04, 06, etc.

I reckon that the guy who had them before me fitted them all with new seals.  However, the seals are just a bit thinner than the Grolschies.  If I could be fagged fitting them with rubber Grolsch seals (which I do have) and which are thicker, they might do better.  Just do not want to risk loosing half a dozen long-necks worth of brew on such a test when I have plenty of other bottles that seal just fine.

Mate just try with one.  I got some cracking big suckers - Canadian - like a Litre plus - I put some Aldi Swing tops from Flens on them - and they turned out ok - well I have only run a couple so far - the first one worked out great.

Maybe just try ONE...  even get one - clean - pour some softdrink or sodawater into it - test it - and then do just ONE - in a bottling run?

Cos I reckon if your seal is too thin yer bugggered… and if you can get a thicker seal you might be home and hosed?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Bump. Show Us Your Current Brewing Set-up!

Ok then as you asked so nicely - happy day - Galaxy Smash Pils - BIAB AG - showing a very happy Mash Tun/Boil Kettle with a clean bill of health on the heating element - after a prior nasty burn on event which saw only the compost heap benefit with a burnt wort and me mate's horses for the spent grain that fortunate for him was removed before the trouble started😋

image.png.2eb05eb2c6af0183e043b1f37268bde1.png

• Like 3

On 7/15/2019 at 9:05 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

So DB maybe you are our Chief Brewery Swingtop Bottling investigator to do the research and advise for us 😜

Ill definitely report back. when i crack one open. Its all cider atm, so might be a tad hard to compare vs beer. But it will get some beer in it over the next 2-3 months... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The inkbird arrived today, so I had a bit of a play with it measuring the temperature of the new kitchen fridge, and also set up its WiFi connection. Works well and looks pretty easy to use. Now just to get another fermenter and sort out a shelf in it to sit that on.

The new fridge is heaps better too; I think the old one had frosted up anyway, some stuff in the freezer wasn't properly frozen so saved me defrosting the bloody thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Thought I’d show you my current brew set up as I’ve made a permanent addition to it. 

The pulley did get removed after each brew but it’s now permanently in place temporarily. 

Who's playin' the Mando' ?

51 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

It’s a uke. And yeah, I do. Plus a few other string and wind instruments. 

Gold

Music, brewing and curing/making food it all goes together...

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Gold

Music, brewing and curing/making food it all goes together...

Damn straight it does. All about doing it myself.

I’ve got quite an artistic/creative side to me but can’t draw for sh!t so it comes out in music, beer and food. All the good things in life. 

• Like 2