Coopers Community

Show us your current brewing set-up !

Beer Baron

Finished adding new lines, clamps, manifolds and disconnects today. All that is left to buy is a small 9.5L keg and I’ll make a little platform so I can double stack the small kegs. 

I also colour coded all the lines to make it easy to sort everything out in there

6B96C497-A869-4EDF-9C7D-B29EC477732E.jpeg

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I color coded my lines too but the ink has worn off, now I just figure it out by what position they sit... 😂

Although, the soda water lines never really get removed so I only have to work out the other two. 

I used electrical tape but I think it will end up coming off😔

Well here it is ... a 3 tap system ... have stopped the leaks and the leak from the liquid disconnect was fixed with a metal disconnect ... plan to have all 3 taps running during the festive season and  2 most other times ... 

20190704_154140.jpg

20190706_110424.jpg

20190701_115438.jpg

• Like 9

My modest setup for kitnkilo and a mixture of tallies/stubbies. The cupboard is temp controlled for secondary fermentation. Third cupboard is for storage. That's batch 45 and 46 brewing.

IMG_20190706_111604.jpg

IMG_20190706_111634.jpg

IMG_20190706_111735.jpg

• Like 9

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, muzzag said:

My modest setup for kitnkilo and a mixture of tallies/stubbies. The cupboard is temp controlled for secondary fermentation. Third cupboard is for storage. That's batch 45 and 46 brewing.

IMG_20190706_111604.jpg

IMG_20190706_111634.jpg

IMG_20190706_111735.jpg

Muzzag mate given your serious commitment to excellence... mate you really need to have a crack at AG...

I have been involved with HB for ages... and was quite fearful of the AG quantum leap... but mate seriously you are ready to go!

And the dividends are outrageously good.

Apologies if you are already doing it. And BTW your general set-up looks GREAT!

Love the glass bottles... I know there are danger issues re explosions but if managed well... Glass is the business!

Cheers,

BB

• Like 2

Thanks for your vote of confidence BB, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that leap yet. I'm just happy making a reasonable drop to drink and I don't have to take out a mortgage to satisfy my taste buds. I imagine there is a lot more involved in AG,both technical and buying more equipment, so will stick with what im doing for now, but I'll be sure to ask here for help.BTW I had my first bottle bomb on the last batch, but I suspect I might have put 2carb drops in a 330ml,as none of the others have blown.

Cheers muz

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, muzzag said:

Thanks for your vote of confidence BB, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that leap yet. I'm just happy making a reasonable drop to drink and I don't have to take out a mortgage to satisfy my taste buds. I imagine there is a lot more involved in AG,both technical and buying more equipment, so will stick with what im doing for now, but I'll be sure to ask here for help.BTW I had my first bottle bomb on the last batch, but I suspect I might have put 2carb drops in a 330ml,as none of the others have blown.

Cheers muz

I like barbecues and beer making and I reckon I have spent well over $5000 on everything (not including ingredients and meat)

• Like 1

Just now, Beer Baron said:

I like barbecues and beer making and I reckon I have spent well over $5000 on everything (not including ingredients and meat)

Am with you BB1... I havna spent quite that much so far... but the good positive brew outcomes are clearly there. 

And I reckon that me buying beer regularly from Dans etc over the past few years probably woulda cracked that $ value.

I didna have the time and headspace previously... which has now come together over the last 6 months... and now so am having a go at the more complicated AG thing.

And I reckon that Muzzag has gone the first really important step there with Temp Control and water basics... and Muzz - mate - go you good thing!

No rush - I have been HB Coops brewing for YEARS before doing the AG thing... and there are great benefits from that alone! … good beer with you knowing what is in it... and how good it can taste...

• Like 1

I give myself an allowance every fortnight and I spend that on beer and barbecuing. I work long hours and I look after my family and don’t go to the pub, I don’t drink drive and I don’t beat my missus. These hobbies give me huge satisfaction and my family reap the benefits of the barbecuing but not the beer😂

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I give myself an allowance every fortnight and I spend that on beer and barbecuing. I work long hours and I look after my family and don’t go to the pub, I don’t drink drive and I don’t beat my missus. These hobbies give me huge satisfaction and my family reap the benefits of the barbecuing but not the beer😂

I suspect your good people reap the benefits of both the barbecuing AND the beer.... you being happy brewing good brews and not having to spend money at the pub on disappointing product and potentially getting into blues with associated health and legal bills 👺

Plus not having to buying megaswill that you would further be terribly disappointed with!  

Just a thought. 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

9 hours ago, muzzag said:

I imagine there is a lot more involved in AG,both technical and buying more equipment,

I am a Kit, kilo and additions brewer like you but must say from the video's i have watched of BIAB it looks pretty easy and there is not that much invested in equipment ... I have looked on Gumtree and e-bay and think I could be a set running for less than $200.00 .... 

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Love the glass bottles... I know there are danger issues re explosions but if managed well... Glass is the business!

I was 100% that way until I set up my kegger last month ... I can't really explain why the difference but kegged brew is so much better than bottled stuff ... at one stage was so dedicated to bottle aging I have nearly 400 stubbies, 100 glass tallies and 200 PET ... in recent months have sold most of it off and been pouring aged bottles into the kegs and re carbonating them and the beer is SO much better ... better mouth feel, more consistent, and just tastes better ...  for mine now a mix of kegs and glass is the go ... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I can't really explain why the difference but kegged brew is so much better than bottled stuff 

I think it’s better because you feel extra cool pouring beer from a tap😎

• Haha 2

In terms of beer going straight into a keg I think the lack of secondary fermentation causes it to taste a bit cleaner. When I used to bottle surplus, the bottles did get to be the same but it took about a month longer, probably because of secondary fermentation and being much smaller vessels (beer conditions faster in bigger vessels). Doesn't really explain why the bottles taste better out of a keg given they've had the secondary fermentation, but I suppose if they're aged enough... 

So, overall it's probably a combination of the bigger vessel and the no secondary fermentation. 

• Like 2

Yeah why is it that it tastes green when you pop open a PET bottle a week early ?

Excuse my ignorance but let’s say when you transfer your wort from the FV to a keg.  Is there any specific period where it will taste green.  (Assuming it’s carbed)

or if you let it carb naturally using your CO2 , does she taste good to go off the bat. 

Does the fact of secondary ferments using carb lollies or priming sugar in fact cause the green-ness? 

11 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I was 100% that way until I set up my kegger last month ... I can't really explain why the difference but kegged brew is so much better than bottled stuff ... at one stage was so dedicated to bottle aging I have nearly 400 stubbies, 100 glass tallies and 200 PET ... in recent months have sold most of it off and been pouring aged bottles into the kegs and re carbonating them and the beer is SO much better ... better mouth feel, more consistent, and just tastes better ...  for mine now a mix of kegs and glass is the go ... 

Interesting Marty.

My quantum leap has come from AG... the difference is remarkable.  [Not to say one cannot brew good kit beer with malt and even better kit n partial mash beer].

And regular addition of wheat in the AG malt bill seems to produce excellent mouth feel, head retention and never had problems with carbonation in secondary ferment.

But I guess I maybe may have to explore the Keg World a little more 😵

But I am with Kelsey - I struggle to see how a bottle-fermented-and-aged beer will taste better poured into a keg and re-gassed... guess that might make sense if originally under-carbed in the bottles ?  

Or it's the "cool" factor as alluded to above by BB1?😝

Cheers,

BB2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Yeah why is it that it tastes green when you pop open a PET bottle a week early ?

--

Does the fact of secondary ferments using carb lollies or priming sugar in fact cause the green-ness? 

Couple quick thoughts:

I guess that secondary ferment with sugar (sucrose?)/glucose lollies is not grain malt and hence will not deliver pure malt flavour.

My bulk prime glass bottles with dry barley malt extract vs using Coops lollies in my few AG brews so far really did not seem to make a marked difference.  However, in principle, beer without sugar lollies should be better... hence the keg thing wins on that point.

Though from memory Coopers Sparkling in the bottle are secondary fermented with addition of sugar/glucose and not pure malt (happy to be corrected but am pretty sure Frank on Coopers Helpline advised me of this some time back).

Q1 and Q3:

Going early Paddy in bottles with carb lollies added - I have found that the beer tastes sweeter and flatter - which attenuates out with more time as the yeasts process the fermentable sugars into C02 and Alc.  Beer with added sugar is not so nice.   I reckon that is once source of potential green-ness.

But as for bottle ageing...  we all do it...  and who knows... micro additions of oxygen... something must be happening.  Think the keggers do it too.

And then TOO MUCH age... certainly in bottles... even with very good beer e.g. Coopers Vintage Ales a mate had for way too long.... was just a goner...  storage conditions might play into that too. 

Am thinking Paddy with the way that looks in the glass up above that you should not have too much trouble with holding your first AG too long ; )

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Thanks 1