Coopers Community

What other hobbies do brewers have??

therealthing691

Making bacon and other cured meats is one of my other interests. Have played cricket a bit in the last few years and used to play guitar in a band. May pick that up again if the singer from that band decides to put it back together again. Other than that not a whole lot really. Too much time spent working haha.

Is drinking beer and watching sport a hobby??

I like anything to do with barbecues. I like low and slow smoked meals and make my own sausages, jerky and I am attempting bacon. 

I have also thought about taking up a new hobby. I thought about surfing but sharks!!!!

I have also thought about learning guitar in what little spare time I have. 

Beer Baron

• Like 1

I grow a lot of vegetables and fruit. 

I play a few instruments and have been in a few good bands that have unfortunately disbanded over the years. Still play my guitar nearly every day. Probably 6 days a week. 

I also surf but lately have been on the SUP board due to me basically breaking my back on a mountain bike a few years back. Each RnR I try and go for a good paddle of about 14-18kms which takes a few hours. Great fitness and great for the core muscles. When I can spare a hour of so I go for a quick jaunt of about 5 kms. Great fun, always dolphins and other sea creatures about. 

Captain

I still play basketball every week, have done that since I was about 10 years old. Not enough time for training / comp any more, but still play 90 mins of pickup once a week with a good bunch of guys. I also like cycling and I still get on my bike a couple of times a week to ride to work and back. Oh and do lunch time Wing Chun classes at work.

I used to like playing basketball or racing games (currently Xbox One / NBA2Kx / Forza 6 / Thrustmaster TX 458 wheel), but I haven't had time to touch those in months.

I used to like playing my classical guitar, but I haven't had time to touch that in months.

I used to like watching NBA and AFL, but I haven't had time to watch any of that in months.

I used to like spending money keeping old Alfas on the road, but now I need a reliable (and automatic ? ) car to ferry the family around. At least it's not an SUV ... my goodness that would be the point where I just gave up on life.

I used to like spending money buying different bits of head-fi gear and listening to lots of music, but I don't have any money or time for this now. I sent my best pair of headphones to my brother for a birthday present, so I thought they would get some use. Unfortunately after 2 weeks the parcel came back return to sender.

At least I can find time to brew nice beer! It's a rewarding hobby, fascinating, yet simple and with so much room to experiment.

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911

Those Sambirds are awesome.

I do a lot of low and slow smoking but still a lot to learn.

I grow a lot of my own veggies and fruit so i guess gardening is another one of my hobbies.

I would like to buy a wood lathe and start making stuff in the near future but i'm just about to start doing All Grain so that will
Consume a bit more of my time that i really don't have much of.

Cheers,
Hoppy

I still play basketball. I started playing in 1980 and it wasn’t very popular back then. I was the only person at my school that played and there weren’t many teams in the comp. At least it made it easier to make the rep teams ?

About a year ago I was playing twice a week and coaching a kids team but it was a big time commitment so now I only play comp once a week. I try to get the gym when I can too.

Other than that I enjoy watching sport, reading and listening to music. I like photography but I am not very good. I like to be active so often take the kids bushwalking, bike riding etc.

Like most people with work and kids, it can be difficult to find time for many hobbies.

Gday all 

Home brewing is just a new adventure for me, My other hobbies include Hunting, Camping, Curing meat, Ham, Coppa, Salami, Jerky, Bacon,Sausages, Pickling and smoking meat, and I don't mind a fang on my Motorcycle ,Triumph GT Sprint.

Cheers

• Like 1

Motorcycles in the shed gathering dust so not sure that ranks as a hobby any more. Do a bit of 4wd'ing and camping occasionally. Have a car that I enjoy pouring money into (still not running...). Based on that I think my next hobby will just be throwing money on the ground and setting it on fire. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Those Sambirds are awesome.

I do a lot of low and slow smoking but still a lot to learn.

I grow a lot of my own veggies and fruit so i guess gardening is another one of my hobbies.

I would like to buy a wood lathe and start making stuff in the near future but i'm just about to start doing All Grain so that will
Consume a bit more of my time that i really don't have much of.

Cheers,
Hoppy

All grain is my next move I am waiting for kegland to get Robobrews back in stock

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wobbly74 said:

Motorcycles in the shed gathering dust so not sure that ranks as a hobby any more. Do a bit of 4wd'ing and camping occasionally. Have a car that I enjoy pouring money into (still not running...). Based on that I think my next hobby will just be throwing money on the ground and setting it on fire. 

What sort of car are you building this is a car I sold 10yrs back is a 54 chev with modified panels

chev1.jpg

58 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

What sort of car are you building this is a car I sold 10yrs back is a 54 chev with modified panels

chev1.jpg

74 911...had it about 8 years, still far from done...

2CF2C58C-AEAD-4042-92D6-613D2EED98F5.jpeg

Edited by Wobbly74
  • Like 1

brew kombucha, make beef jerky (which ive made threads on here)

also play rugby union I was in Sydney last week for the final test between the irish and the convicts)

Also play guitar, but more of a self taught hobby than anything serious 

I like to game also on xbox but thats far more intermittent these days as rarely have the time. unless herself is out and about 

On 6/28/2018 at 2:29 PM, Wobbly74 said:

74 911...had it about 8 years, still far from done...

2CF2C58C-AEAD-4042-92D6-613D2EED98F5.jpeg

That is going to be so good when it's done. My one drive in a 70's 911 (targa) was incredible - much preferred it to the 996 Carrera S and 997 Carrerra 4S I drove that day despite their being a lot more capable. My ultimate would be the generation prior, but no hope of ever owning one. Good luck with the project, and I am insanely jealous. Although I have to agree, it does look a little wobbly at the moment.

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911

Indeed wobbly ?

The engine has been rebuilt now, the 6-pack webbers are in the process of being rebuilt as is the gearbox. Hoping to be driving but not pretty by Xmas. Still need to fit in a US trip at some point to pick up a few parts, including an oil cooler. But getting closer, slowly... ?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, Beer Baron said:

Is drinking beer and watching sport a hobby??

I like anything to do with barbecues. I like low and slow smoked meals and make my own sausages, jerky and I am attempting bacon. 

I have also thought about taking up a new hobby. I thought about surfing but sharks!!!!

I have also thought about learning guitar in what little spare time I have. 

Beer Baron

Actually drinking beer and watching sport is a way of life. Hardly a hobby. ?
I also like to punt on the gallops and dogs. One day I plan on backing the fastest ones.  ?

• Like 1

So much meat being made. I love meat, maybe I should look into that hobby as it obviously goes hand in hand with brewing. I really do understand and appreciate the environmental and ethical reasons of vegetarians and vegans. BUT MEAT IS SO FREAKIN’ GOOD.

Like others I used to play guitar. I rarely play anymore as my two young kids want to get involved and pretty much beat the guitar up, so it usually sits out of reach and gathering dust. I actually had a crack on it yesterday though. Very rusty.

I get into the garden as often as I can with a few veggie patches and lots of weeds to stay on top of. Plus the usual home diy jobs that us blokes like to do - paving, small woodwork projects like repurposing pallet wood into stuff etc.  I enjoy those so I guess they’re kind of a hobby, but they are also things that just need to be done around home.

Apart from brewing, the only other thing I do that is just for me is martial arts - Muay Thai and BJJ. That extra J is important, otherwise...

I think martial arts and brewing are the only things stopping me from going on a completely insane, unhinged rampage of trying to beat people to death with their own shoes. So therefore brewing and martial arts are probably more of a community role I provide. You’re welcome people of sth west Victoria.

Oh yeah, I actually gave stand up comedy a few cracks too. Did a few gigs at pubs etc. At one pub I got $30 and a free meal. Think I spent about $70 on beer though, the place brewed its own and had some nice ones.

• Haha 1

I get what the vegans etc. are trying to do, but they might get more on their side if they shelved the holier than thou attitude a lot of them seem to have, thinking they're somehow superior to everyone who eats meat/animal products. Personally, that just makes me want to eat more meat, not give it up. They often look malnourished to me as well, not exactly an incentive to take it up. Their food isn't exactly produced without environmental impact or damage either. Unfortunately the same attitude surfaces in the beer world as well, with some craft beer snobs thinking they're better than Joe Public who swills VB every weekend. I don't see anything wrong with thinking megaswill is rubbish beer, but it shouldn't extend to putting people down who do drink it.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

Yeah, I’ve met a few of those kinds of meat-dodgers. I reckon getting up on the high horse is the main aim for that type, rather than the more valid reasons. I am interested in what that horse may taste like though...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Farls said:

Yeah, I’ve met a few of those kinds of meat-dodgers. I reckon getting up on the high horse is the main aim for that type, rather than the more valid reasons. I am interested in what that horse may taste like though...

They have an issue with eating horses but have no qualms about providing them with drugs.

6 hours ago, Farls said:

Apart from brewing, the only other thing I do that is just for me is martial arts - Muay Thai and BJJ. That extra J is important, otherwise...

I am fan of martial arts and started training about 2 years ago but it only lasted about 2 months because of a positional change at work. I absolutely loved it and the trainer didn’t believe that I had never done it before. I have recently moved into a position at work where I am able to start again but nowhere near me does AM classes now so bad luck for me☹️

BB