1 Coopers Canadian Blonde kit

500g LDM

340g Manuka Honey

Kit yeast rehydrated' date=' pitched at 22°C

OG 1.037

FG 1.009?

IBU 24

22 litres

I am just fermenting it on the bench because my brew fridge is full. The temps down here in Vic aren't too bad at the moment, about 18 to 20 during the day and around 9 to 10 overnight. I might wrap it up and insulate at night, but i reckon it'll be ok

[/quote']

Uggh! wish I was getting those temps! - We're sitting in 30 degree days in Brissy! - I've got no fridge and it's been a real pain to keep anything below say 22 degrees! - Summer is going to suck!! :P

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad we're not getting temps like that, bloody hate winter and we don't even really get a proper one in Brisbane lol. It does make it hard to keep a brew cool but I much prefer the warmer weather over single figures overnight and barely 20 during the day. tongue

Definitely recommend a brew fridge up here though, if you have the space available for one. Set the temp and the fridge takes care of the rest. It's either that or constantly faffing around with wet towels and fans or frozen bottles of water. I know which one I'd prefer. cool

Getting a brew fridge and temp controller was the single best thing i bought for my homebrew arsenal. If you can' date=' i highly recommend it. Especially if your in Brisbane![/quote']

Yeah I definitely need to get a fridge - Only really going to have room for a Bar fridge in my "Brew Space" which will have to sit up on the benchtop.

My only concern is getting a fermenter full of beer into it - Buggered if I know how to lift that Coopers DIY Kit without the plastic feeling like the whole thing is going to just collapse/snap under the weight :P Plus its heavy as sh1t and awkward - Unless I can work out how to get the water into it while its inside the fridge.

My first ever "Homebrew Wednesday" happy

I usual brew on a Saturday afternoon!

Kohatu Gold

(Partial Mash)

1.50 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 39 %

0.30 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt 8 %

0.30 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt 8 %

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager 45 %

5g Gypsum

10g Waimea - Boil 15.0 min

25g Kohatu - FO

25g Kohatu - Dry Hop 3 Days

Nottingham Slurry

| OG=1.042 | ABV=4.5% | EBC=10.4 | IBU=29 |

Getting a brew fridge and temp controller was the single best thing i bought for my homebrew arsenal. If you can' date=' i highly recommend it. Especially if your in Brisbane![/quote']

Yeah I definitely need to get a fridge - Only really going to have room for a Bar fridge in my "Brew Space" which will have to sit up on the benchtop.

My only concern is getting a fermenter full of beer into it - Buggered if I know how to lift that Coopers DIY Kit without the plastic feeling like the whole thing is going to just collapse/snap under the weight :P Plus its heavy as sh1t and awkward - Unless I can work out how to get the water into it while its inside the fridge.

You might have to measure it up to see if the fermenter will even fit into it first. I don't have one of those Coopers FVs but plenty of others use them and have brew fridges so it can't be too much of an issue getting it in there. Besides if you ever move to AG you'll pretty much have to lift the fermenter into the fridge full of wort tongue

Another experimental pale today

Biab 40l urn, no chill.

Mashed low for a dry finish

OG 1.046 FG 1.008

Bottle conditioned

2kg Maris otter

2kg pale Barrett burston

.2 kg med crystal

.1kg acidulated

1kg Munich II

10g El Dorado FWA

20g El Dorado steep 15

20g Mosaic steep 15

20g Galaxy steep 15

Dry hop of 30g each of mosaic and Galaxy

Dry hop 50g El Dorado

Not sure about yeast yet, either US05 or English 04

I’m up for a 5am brew day!!

It is a maris otter/citra SMaSH. Something simple and easy for the upcoming warmer days. I like doing my brew days early to get it over and done with and it’s even better today because there is live football on!!

Youngie

Another Anzac golden ale today... Dropped the gravity slightly to make a 4.25% beer, dropped the rye down to about 10% and moved some hops later to drop the ibu down a bit from the last one. Will be hopped with summer aus and montueka again :)

Will ferment this one in the new 26L kegmenter and was planning on using Melbourne ale yeast but didn't get the started organised in time (and my last golden keg just blew) so will be going with the ol us-05 this time again.

Whoops, just realised I'm out of summer hops...hmm, ok, going to go with cascade instead since I have some left overs and will get rid of the first wort addition and move everything to 5 mins and flame out... In all the confusion I left the element on when warming to my 72 rest after an hour and got to 75 instead. Oh well, early mash out I guess.

And everything was going so smoothly up until then :)

Off to a slow start. Normally I want to get the water on before the baby wakes up' date=' but today the tap was leaking so I had to deal with that, then Jonah woke up and so it was ages before I finally started heating up my mash water.[/quote']

One of the things on a robobrew is you can set it the night before to start heating in the morning. A cheap powerpoint timer set to go on for however long it takes to get your urn to ~70c would do the same job.

Yesterday.

Recipe: Julebryg

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 33.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 38.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 3 55.6 %

2.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 31.7 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 7.9 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 6 4.0 %

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 7 0.8 %

25.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - First Wo Hop 8 38.4 IBUs

4.00 Items Anise, Star (Boil 30.0 mins) Spice 9 -

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -

1.00 MJs Cali Common Yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today

Recipe: Hoppy Saison

Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG

Estimated Color: 8.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 33.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 66.7 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 33.3 %

10.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort Hop 3 9.3 IBUs

50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 4 16.2 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 5 8.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP Yeast 6 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna be doing a brew day on Saturday' date=' another Bohemian Pilsner. Nice to not need so many hops with this lot of 3.8% AA.

21 litre batch, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Estimated mash efficiency 89.3%.

[b']The Stats[/b]

Est Original Gravity: 1.0477 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0080 SG*

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %

Bitterness: 42.2 IBUs

Est Color: 9.3 EBC

I've been finding those flameout additions of Saaz quite nice in these batches since I started doing it. There were some warnings of grassiness from it but I haven't noticed any.

*This will probably be more like 1.010-11; for some reason I can't really get Beersmith to accurately predict FGs when I use those stepped mash schedules.. maybe I should just input it as a single infusion and adjust the temp to fit what I get in reality.

Cheers

Kelsey

I didn't end up brewing this on Saturday because I woke up feeling a bit off color. As far as I got in the brew day was to tip the distilled water into the urn and add the little bit of water with the mineral salts in it. I began heating it up but then decided not to go ahead with it. However, it was brewed yesterday and all went pretty smoothly. Filled the cube so will probably get 21/22L in the FV, OG was 1.0458 - probably due to not boiling as much down as usual. I'll have to re-do my boil off rates I think. The mash did well though, pretty much hitting the predicted 89.3% (I got 89.2%) so the problem with lower OGs isn't there. Either way it should turn out a nice beer as usual!

Cheers

Kelsey

Recipe: Sam Adams Boston Lager

Brewer: Jools

Asst Brewer: Nathan & Marcus

Style: Vienna Lager

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 29.96 l

Post Boil Volume: 26.90 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l

Bottling Volume: 20.30 l

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG

Estimated Color: 11.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 35.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 88.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

0.48 Items Campden Tablet (Potassium Metabisulfate) Water Agent 1 -

4.45 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 94.7 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 5.3 %

45.00 g Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [3.70 %] - Hop 4 17.9 IBUs

21.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 9.0 IBUs

0.48 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -

28.10 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Boil Hop 7 4.9 IBUs

22.48 g Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [3.70 %] - Hop 8 3.1 IBUs

2.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast 9 -

14.47 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] - Dry H Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

I got the grain bill milled at my LHBS this afternoon for a brew day tomorrow (I hope - rain is forecast).

I am going to try a 2-step mash because the original SA Boston Lager uses a decoction mash. I am not going to do that, so 30min at 50C then 60min at 64.4C before a mash out. Will be interesting how it turns out. First time attempting this beer as an AG brew. I know the hop schedule is a good one because I did it last year and it was very close to the original. I have leftover Saaz to use up, hence as a bittering addition. I don't think I will notice.

Sorry for a late response. I believe I have the smallest possible brew fridge for the coopers normal fermenter. It's an ex-cafe display fridge and it would sit on a bench top. Second hand ebay - maybe worth putting an email alert search on your favourite second hand e shop. both sides of the fermenter touch the door frame as I slide it in.

My brew fridge.

Like this (and about what I paid) Bench top display fridge. Yes - more than a normal second hand fridge but I didn't have the space for a normal one.

Probably not five stars - but I put a blanket over the glass section.

All the workings are in the base so it would be simple enough to build a replacement insulated cabinet for the top. I'm thinking a five sided box that I just lower over the top.

Now the golden ale is heading toward FG, I'm planning on trying my hand at my first NEIPA on the weekend. I've put together a recipe based on some research of the style and I've added some simple water additions to boost the chloride levels consistent with the style.

Be interested in feedback from anyone whose brewed this style themselves...

Tea Party IPA

American IPA

Type: All Grain Date: 15 Jun 2017

Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l Brewer: Wobbly

Boil Size: 31.40 l Asst Brewer:

Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Crab Cooker (10 Gal/38 L) - BIAB

End of Boil Volume 28.65 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %

Final Bottling Volume: 23.40 l Est Mash Efficiency 88.0 %

Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

26.00 l New England IPA (Beaumaris) Water 1 -

11.98 l New England IPA (Beaumaris) Water 2 -

7.40 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

3.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

1.00 Items Campden Tablet (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

0.20 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 6 -

4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 7 68.5 %

0.50 kg BEST Wheat Malt (BESTMALZ) (4.8 EBC) Grain 8 7.6 %

0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 9 7.6 %

0.50 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 10 7.6 %

0.35 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 11 5.3 %

0.20 kg BEST Acidulated (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC) Grain 12 3.0 %

0.02 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 13 0.3 %

15.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 14 17.8 IBUs

15.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 15 18.9 IBUs

3.41 g Calcium Chloride (Boil 60.0 mins) Water Agent 16 -

1.38 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 60.0 mins) Water Agent 17 -

0.09 g Chalk (Boil 60.0 mins) Water Agent 18 -

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 19 -

27.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 20 8.1 IBUs

27.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 21 7.1 IBUs

27.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 22 7.5 IBUs

1.3 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 23 -

73.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs

58.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs

58.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 26 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %

Bitterness: 59.4 IBUs Calories: 373.0 kcal/l

Est Color: 11.9 EBC

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 6.57 kg

Sparge Water: 11.98 l Grain Temperature: 18.0 C

Sparge Temperature: 75.0 C Tun Temperature: 69.0 C

Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time

Mash In Add 26.00 l of water at 69.4 C 65.0 C 87 min

Mash out Heat to 75.0 C over 10 min 75.0 C 10 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 11.98l) of 75.0 C water

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Mosaic Golden Ale

2.5kg MO

.5kg Vienna

1kg Wheat

.2kg Caramalt

.1kg Acidulated malt

5g Mosaic 60min

20g Mosaic 10min

25 Mosaic cubed

OG1043 4.2%ABV IBU 25

WPL051 Yeast

Looking forward to this one !

I'm brewing a Golden Ale. Not whimpy Golden like JSGA or Dr S's, this one is +50 IBU in he vein of Pirate Life's Golden Era.

Using 100g of Amarillo, a dash (20g) of Cascade and 15g of Boring Magnum for the bittering.

Maris Otter and Munich making up the grain bill, with some Caramalt and Acid. The yeast is the London ESB.

Aiming for somewhere in the mid 4% ABV.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I'm brewing a Golden Ale. Noa whimpy Golden like JSGA or Dr S's' date=' this one is +50 IBU in he vein of Pirate Life's Golden Era...

...Aiming for somewhere in the mid 4% ABV.

[/quote']

Sounds imbalanced. unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty

Not if I achieve my target FG. Since I started brewing session IPA I've been a little more adventurous with my IBU/ABV balance - if that's even a balance tongue

Cheers

Not if I achieve my target FG. Since I started brewing session IPA I've been a little more adventurous with my IBU/ABV balance - if that's even a balance tongue

If you're talking IPA then that's different. Nothing wrong with that ratio. Amarillo is very smooth anyways.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

I'm brewing a Golden Ale. Noa whimpy Golden like JSGA or Dr S's' date=' this one is +50 IBU in he vein of Pirate Life's Golden Era.

[/quote']

I amped up Smurto's and made a Golden IPA. Was a freakin cracker of a beer.

Archived