Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

1st AG wheat brew today, good to get my robo working again !

2kg PA

2kg Wheat malt

.5 Vienna

.1 Acid malt

.2 Rice hulls

7g warrior 60 min

25 Hersbrucker 10min

25 hersbrucker cubed

OG 1041 IBU 16 WLP320 yeast 4.1%

Sample tasted good smile

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a brew day yesterday.

Trying for a Pasito Pale Ale

4.2 kg pale malt

1kg Wheat malt

0.1 kg Acid

20g FWA Cascade

20g Cascade Whirlpool 15 mins

40g Galaxy Whirlpool 15 mins

10g Nelson Sauvin 15 mins

US-05

Dry hop of 20g Cascade, 50g Galaxy, 10g Nelson Sauvin

A very hot day today in Adelaide & I had planned to do a partial mash but can't be buggared in this heat so an extract + grain steep is the go as I need to get a brew down.

My crack at a simple "Aussie Draught" style beer.

Briess Golden Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 1.2kg

Light Crystal Malt grain 200gms

Dextrose 100gms

Mt. Hood 35gms @ 60mins

Mt. Hood 10gms @ 10mins

Cascade 25gms @ flameout

MJ's M76 Bavarian Lager yeast + Coopers Lager strain kit yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment around 14-15°C

OG = approx. 1.048

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = 15.1

IBU = 24

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.7%

The malt bill won't have some of the nuances of a typical lager but hopefully it still makes a nice beer.

Had a brew day yesterday.

That will be LOVELY

+1

Looks really nice.

Cheers & good brewing' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Added raspberries to my Berliner today , been a few firsts with this brew

First attempt at kettle souring worked well , wasn't 100% sure how Coopers commercial yeast would handle being pitched into a fairly acidic wort but it was up and running in under 10 hours and got down to 1.007 as expected

First time adding fruit to a beer as well so fingers crossed

Did a grain/hop cleanout brew today, decided to chuck what i had in late and roll with it, the gravity sample is smelling/tasting pretty insane good.

4kg maris Otter

1kg vienna

111g light crystal

us05

fwh 11g magnum

@10 25g simcoe

@5 40g centennial, 25g hallertau, 50g citra, 15g cascade

@fo 30g citra

will dry hop with 30g citra and 30g centennial

happy days sideways

Time for a big rye IPA again

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: RYPA

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Rye IPA

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 11.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 56.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)

5.00 ml Simcoe PURPLE Resin [61.40 %] 29.2 IBUs

30.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep 9.9 IBUs

25.00 g Citra LupuLN2 [24.00 %] - Steep 17.3 IBUs

25.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Simcoe LupuLN2 [26.90 %] - Steep 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP09 Yeast

50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Dry Hop

Total Grain Weight: 6.00 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brew day here today, finally brewing my pale ale with all home grown Cascade flowers. I'm on my phone so I won't post the whole recipe, but my usual pale ale malt bill, hopped to 35 IBU with additions at 60 mins, 20 mins, 10 mins, flameout, and in the cube. Dad made up a little mesh filter thingy that screws onto the threaded pipe of the ball valve on the inside of the urn to stop the flowers blocking the thing when I transfer to the cube, so should be a pretty smooth brew day unlike last time I used flowers and took forever to transfer the wort after the boil lol

Predicted OG is 1.0508, 35 IBU, 1.0123 predicted FG and 5.1% ABV.

Interestingly, the estimated colour has changed, despite using exactly the same amount of water and grains as the last pale ale. This one reckons 16.5 EBC, compared to previous ones at 15.7. Not much difference, but still. I did change the boil off rate in Beersmith though, maybe that's something to do with it.

It's sitting on its 72°C mash rest currently, soon to be raised for the mashout, then I'll remove the bag and drain it, and proceed with the boil.

Cheers

Kelsey

I hope the beer turns out well for you Kelsey. My only concern centred around your want to use the home grown flowers to create the bulk of the bitterness for the beer as the alpha level is undetermined. That aside, I have the utmost respect for your horticultural skills & that the Cascade flowers will be in good order, & up to a good alpha mark.

I'm sure you've looked into that aspect already, & perhaps made any advised adjustments to your hop bill.

I hope it's a fulfilling, & tasty beer once in the glass as it is a lot of work to grow the hop bines, trellis, cultivate, harvest, & then dry them for use in a beer. pinchedcool

I have my fingers crossed for you. wink

Lusty.

Hi Lusty,

You're quite right, the alpha level is a relative unknown. I did do some reading last year on using the home grown hops in this manner, what that suggested was for first year flowers to use an AA figure towards the low end of the usual range for the particular hop, so for these ones I've gone with 5%.

I tasted the wort from my OG sample last night, and from that it appears that it shouldn't be over bittered, so that's a positive. Will it be under bittered, I won't know until it's fermented (due in the FV after the current batch), so I'll report back then. Can definitely taste bitterness in the wort though, to a similar level to other pale ale wort I've brewed and tasted, so hopefully it's pretty right.

I actually find hop growing quite easy, you pretty much plant the rhizomes and keep up the water and nutrients and let them do whatever. With them all being 2nd or 3rd year plants now, I just give them a deep watering once a week. Harvesting is the most time consuming part of it. It was a very early harvest this season for some reason, but the plant has more burrs on it now so I'll be getting some more soon lol.

Thanks mate, and I'll keep you posted on how it turns out cool

Cheers

Kelsey

...you pretty much plant the rhizomes and keep up the water and nutrients and let them do whatever.

This is what happened to the last guy that thought like that...

e0d578de843007b7f1765811bf7ae1cf.jpg

biggrin

Thanks mate' date=' and I'll keep you posted on how it turns out [img']cool[/img]

I'll look forward to your thoughts come drinking time. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

lollollol

Now that I'm on the computer I can post the full recipe.

25L based on 75% brewhouse efficiency.

Water and Treatment

36.00 l Brisbane Water (APA) Water 1 -

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

3.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

Grains

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC) Grain 5 83.3 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 6 9.3 %

0.300 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 7 5.6 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.9 %

Mash at 67C for 70 mins, raise to 72C for 15 mins, 78C mashout.

Hops

30.00 g Cascade Flowers {5.00 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 12.9 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade Flowers {5.00 %} - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 10.4 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade Flowers {5.00 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 6.3 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade Flowers {5.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 12 4.3 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade Flowers {5.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 13 1.3 IBUs (cube hop)

75 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II 7th gen, fermented at 19.5C.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0508 SG (Measured 1.049)

Est Final Gravity: 1.0123 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %

Bitterness: 34.7 IBUs

Est Color: 15.7 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

First Brew Day for 2 months surprised

I'm doing a Double R Session IPA using Ale Malt, Munich, Wheat and Cararoma. The hops are Magnum for base bitterness, Riwaka and Rakau for some NZ flavour.

Aiming for a Mid Strength at 60 IBU.

The Mash is on.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hiya Scottie.

First Brew Day for 2 months surprised

Slack-arse! tongue

I'm doing a Double R Session IPA using Ale Malt' date=' Munich, Wheat and Cararoma. The hops are Magnum for base bitterness, Riwaka and Rakau for some NZ flavour.[/quote']

Sounds really yummy...except for the Magnum of course. tongue

You'll love the Riwaka! love

When you run out of Magnum, try some Warrior in place of it. For these types of beers, I promise you won't regret using it.

Aiming for a Mid Strength at 60 IBU.

How your palate copes with 60 IBU @ 3.5%ABV I don't know. That said' date=' all late hopping does allow for higher IBU levels as the bittering aspect is generally smoother. With those I've brewed this way I've had good results around 15-20 IBU higher than normal back-end bittering dependent on the OG of the beer.

Out of curiosity, what is your BU:GU ratio for this one?

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.[/size']

How your palate copes with 60 IBU @ 3.5%ABV I don't know. That said' date=' all late hopping does allow for higher IBU levels as the bittering aspect is generally smoother. With those I've brewed this way I've had good results around 15-20 IBU higher than normal back-end bittering dependent on the OG of the beer.

Out of curiosity, what is your BU:GU ratio for this one?

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.[/size']

Hey Lusty

I reckon your 100% correct, also I did say according to BeerSmith. When I set it to a whirlpool addition and 30 minute steep it gives me another 15 IBUs (20g @ 10.5% AA and 20g at 4.9% AA). That sounds dodgy me, the first few Session IPAs had a 1 minute addition and came out on BS at 45 IBU.

As for BU:GU, I can't trust BS as it over estimates my FG, these brews are finishing at 1.014 after starting life out at 1.040.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I think the balance is more determined by the FG as well but that in itself is somewhat influenced by the OG.

I find Beersmith to be excellent at predicting FG's, so if yours are out of whack then it is probably that you've got the mash temp set different in Beersmith to what you actually mash at on brew day, or your thermometer isn't accurate and you're mashing higher than you think.

Sounds really yummy...except for the Magnum of course. tongue

[/size]

Hey Lusty

Good job I didn't mention the yeast' date=' another favourite of yours [img']bandit[/img]

It was up and about within 24 hours with a moderate Krausen cover.

I'll grad some Warrior for sure, if nothing else it sounds impressive wink

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I reckon your 100% correct, also I did say according to BeerSmith. When I set it to a whirlpool addition and 30 minute steep it gives me another 15 IBUs (20g @ 10.5% AA and 20g at 4.9% AA). That sounds dodgy me, the first few Session IPAs had a 1 minute addition and came out on BS at 45 IBU.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Yep Tinseth IBU estimates are an upper bound pretty much. Your utilisation will possibly be lower, then you will lose IBUs during fermentation and aging. Also the way Beersmith estimates whirlpool IBUs is a fairly wild guesstimate rather than being model-based. There are more accurate models available but you need to derive the post boil temperature curve of your system to use them... Not difficult but takes a bit of time and measuring effort.

Bitterness is also not only due to isomerized alpha acids... Other bitter substances are present in hops, which actually impact bitterness pretty much all in one go when added to the kettle and then degrade in the boil. So they need modelling differently and Tinseth doesn't take these into account at all.

Also we don't even really know the composition and even AA% of our hops well at the point of time that we are using them.

The good news is that due to the rise in new hopping techniques and craft beer becoming commonplace, academic research is happening into developing more accurate bitterness formulae.

At this point we just have to go by taste really. I no longer calculate bitterness for flameout additions, and if the beer comes out with the wrong bitterness I make a note on which way it needs adjusting. At this point hopping is more art than science when using modern methods.

Cheers,

John

Hey John

I guess I should go back to just posting my full recipe here on the Brew Day, what I've been tending to do is give brewers a taste of what I'm brewing; Malts, Hops, Yeast, target %ABV and IBU. The IBU is really so brewers can get an idea of where my tastes are, provided they are using similar software.

Personally I only recently started selecting whirlpool and 20 minute steep, prior to that I was using a one minute boil for my late additions, even though they were still steeped for anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes. I am now more rigours with my timing.

However when I construct a recipe I have been am not really concerned with the IBU contributed by additions of 10 minutes or less. I'm still working in my head to the chart that tells me 10 minute additions are mainly for taste and aroma.

I can say though that my Session Ales are bitter, more bitter than the six pack of Little Blings that I had on Christmas Day (My palate was actually over beer by 5pm and when we returned home I poured some for family members but went without myself).

They are a comparable to the Throwback IPA (slightly more bitter) so the 35 to 40 that I'm getting for my +10 minute boils is probably closer to the mark.

I'll post the recipe for this one and it will be interesting when its ready as the IBU from the boiled hops is slightly higher than all my previous session ales.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Archived