Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

havent logged in for a while.. or brewed..

Bought a house down in Christies Beach area

and life stuff got in the way for a bit.. Just got back from Europe for 3 months.. and cheap beer.. I was complaining to the misses about the prices of beer in australia and that i hadnt brewed in ages..

she went shopping for some dinner stuff and came home with 2 kits for me!

Going pretty basic.. lost all my brew recipes with a computer rebuild.. so.. starting fresh..

Got on hand -

Pale ale kit

Real ale kit

Medium crystal,

choc

roasted grains,

Hops, - Hallertau Mittlefruih

Citra

Centenial

Amarillo

East Kent Goldings

1kg BE2 - rock solid.. guess i could boil it down..

Amber dry malt

Light Dry malt

Dextrose

Was thinking a basic Amarillo Pale ale, 250grams medium crystal steeped and added, 500 grams light malt powder + dextrose

Real ale.. i wasnt sure what to do with this one.. Any ideas??

my nearest home brew store is is about Brew Craft in Reynella if i need anything.. though ill get onto Beerfelly for deliveries in future.. i was out that way today.. but of course its closed on mondays..

tried a recipe search but got 504 gateway errors on every recipe link

Brew day! happy

OK Benny, you've got me interested...

Pale Ale:

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Coopers Dry Malt extract 1kg

Light Crystal Malt grain 250gms

Dextrose 100gms

Fortnight 10gms @ 30mins

Centennial 20gms @ 20mins

Centennial 20gms @ 5mins

Cascade 20gms hop tea

Vic Secret 20gms hop tea

Riwaka 25gms dry hopped

Vic Secret 25gms dry hopped

El Dorado 25gms dry hopped

MJ's M42 New World Strong Ale yeast (rehydrated)

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 19°C

OG = approx. 1.045

FG = approx. 1.009 (79% attenuation)

IBU = 31.9

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.7%

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brew day! happy

OK Benny' date=' you've got me interested...

[/quote']

Hop tastic!

That MJ's M42 yeast was up & thumping away in less than 18 hours from pitching. That's pretty good for a dry yeast strain in my brewery. happy

It appears quite aggressive which I like, & kind of reminds me of Nottingham in that regard. We'll see how it deals with the malt & hops.

Looking good so far.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Good luck with this batch Lusty, hope this strain works out well for you. Speaking of Nottingham, I just pitched it into the beer I brewed yesterday evening.

Which was ... an 11 litre batch of Stone Ruination, from Mitch Steele's IPA book. I didn't quite follow the recipe exactly (different bittering hop and a tweak to the malt percentages), but it is pretty close in spirit. I remember trying a not very fresh example years back and loving it, so I am really looking forward to tasting this version.

Since I haven't brewed all-grain in a while and it was the first time using my new mash tun I was a little low on my estimate of lauter loss and grain absorption, and high in my estimate of boil off. Unfortunately each of these will on their own result in a drop in OG, so once they compounded I came in a bit under target. Never mind, a quick LDM addition and things were right back on track. To get the mash / lauter losses correct next time, I spent a bit of time and made plenty of mess scooping and straining grain out of my mash tun while the boil was on.

I have to say that I am a huge fan of no-sparge mashing - it is very simple and fast. I did measure out the strike water ahead of time so all I had to do was turn on the stove to heat it up after dinner, then mash in after bathing the little one and popping him off to sleep.

Stats

Volume: 14 litres end-of-boil, 11 litres into the fermenter

OG: 1.071

IBU: 100+

EBC: 13

ABV: ~8%

Grain

95% Voyager Atlas malt (4 EBC)

5% Best Malz Light Crystal malt (30 EBC)

Hops

70g Centennial at 60 minutes (9.2%AA - Tinseth says 107 IBUS)

40g Centennial at flameout - 30 minute steep

40g Centennial dry hop post-fermentation

Yeast

11g Nottingham (rehydrated)

Cheers,

John

Real ale.. i wasnt sure what to do with this one.. Any ideas??

Hey Del

Welcome back rightful

How about the Real Ale can with your Amber Extract with 25g of EKG steeped for 2o minutes?

Not sure how much Amber you've got' date=' if is 1 kg go with all that. If its less go 50/50 with the light and steep 250g of crystal. You could do a short 5 minutes boil of EKG but I wouldn't do more.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Just put down my second brew - TC Family Secret Amber.

1.7kg TC FC AMber

1kg Light Dry Malt

20g Cascade - Steeped 20 mins

US-05 Yeast

Will Dry hop 20g Cascade at around day 10 or so.

Brewed to 23L - pitched yeast at about 24 degrees - probably a bit higher than I wanted, but I wasnt paying attention to how much water I had put in, so my fault.

OG was 1.034 - Packet read OG should be 1.038 so bit disappointed it wasnt higher :( - Thought i mixed everything in real good, but hopefully ends up being a nice drop

Coopers Canadian Blonde kit

500g DME

500g Dextrose

Kit yeast

20L Batch

I haven't had any time to do an all grain batch (haven't had a day off in over two weeks!). I needed to make something quick to make up for it, so I grabbed a coopers kit on the way home from work. It ain't fancy, but I like it.

Hi Brewers , finally got this down. 3 kg pale ale, .4 kg Munich , .2 caramalt , .1 acid malt, 15g target 60 min, 20g cascade 20 min, 20 g Williamette 10 min + 20 of each in cube. Oh 1040, Ibu 38, Abv 4.3% in the bottle , Wpl 001 yeast Mashed @67 for an hr, then mash out @ 75 for 15 min. 22 lts in the fv plus 1.5 lt starter , happy brewing smile

Did another brew today since ive got the weekend off , very similar to scotties recipe, cheers scottie !

3kg pale ale

.75kg wheat malt

.2kg carapils

.2kg light crystal

.1kg acid malt

9g warrior 60min

20g cascade 10min

20g simcoe 10min

20g of cascade and simcoe cubed

mashed @67 75 min, 75 deg mashout

OG 1041

IBU 34

WPL001 yeast from a starter 1.5 LT

24lts

Thanks everyone for sharing their recipes ! Cheers Quincy

Brew day tomorrow and I'm putting down a Smurto's Landlord, subbing in Carabohemian rather than the normal dark crystal and Maris Otter rather than the updated Golden Promise... (is it still a Landlord??) The grains milled and the timer is set on the urn for 7am! I'm also going to use my new chiller extension which is a 10m hose attached to the sprinkler so I dont have to continually empty buckets.

Basically the recipe is:

4.7kg Maris Otter

170g Carabohemian

48g Fuggles @ 60

30g EKG @ 20

30g Styrian Goldings @ 0

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast

Mash @ 66 degrees for 75 mins, 72 degrees for 20 mins. 75 min boil.

Water profile:

Ca: 82ppm

Mg: 10ppm

Na: 9ppm

SO4: 81ppm

Cl: 81ppm

HCO3: 29ppm

Looking forward to this one on tap since I've currently got an English IPA and an American IPA going... I'm feeling the need for something a little less hoppy.

Recipe: Moore Beer

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Amber Ale

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.037 SG

Estimated Color: 26.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 67.6 %

0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 13.5 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 13.5 %

0.15 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4 4.1 %

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 5 1.4 %

20.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort Hop 6 22.7 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 7 6.5 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 5.1 IBUs

MJ's Cali Common Yeast.

Some minerals to suit my water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Wheat Beer

Type: All Grain

Quantity: 19L

Grains:

2.12kg - White Wheat

1.7kg - Pilsner Malt

Hops: 1oz Tettang

Yeast: Danstar Munich Wheat (rehydrated)

Mash: 75 mins @ 64c

Mash out: 10 mins @ 75c

It was my first ever AG wheat beer. I was royally disappointed when I checked the OG, I ended up with 1.032. That translates to 62% efficiency, my lowest ever. I'm still trying to figure out why, this is the first time I've ended up below 70%. Oh well...

German Wheat Beer

Type: All Grain

Quantity: 19L

Grains:

2.12kg - White Wheat

1.7kg - Pilsner Malt

Hops: 1oz Tettang

Yeast: Danstar Munich Wheat (rehydrated)

Mash: 75 mins @ 64c

Mash out: 10 mins @ 75c

It was my first ever AG wheat beer. I was royally disappointed when I checked the OG' date=' I ended up with 1.032. That translates to 62% efficiency, my lowest ever. I'm still trying to figure out why, this is the first time I've ended up below 70%. Oh well...

[/quote']

Hi mate, I took a hit in efficiency on my only wheat beer too. My estimated OG was 1.051 and I got 1.048 which was a drop from 70% down to 66%. I did a search and this seems to be pretty common with wheat. I used Weiheinstephaner yeast and everyone who tried it said they would happily pay for a bottle, so all good in the end!

Sansnom, what type of system do you use? Large amounts of wheat tend to turn the mash into a gluggy mess, even if you step mash with a beta glucan rest. It makes sparging more difficult and therefore more difficult to extract all the sugar.

BIAB is a bit better for this because you can squeeze the bag but it still suffers to some extent.

I usually hit 75% efficiency but if brewing with a large amount of wheat I design my recipe based on 70% efficiency.

German Wheat Beer

It was my first ever AG wheat beer. I was royally disappointed when I checked the OG' date=' I ended up with 1.032. That translates to 62% efficiency, my lowest ever. I'm still trying to figure out why, this is the first time I've ended up below 70%. Oh well...

[/quote']

The Mash Average Diastatic Power was probably too low if that was flaked or unmalted wheat. To boost the Diastatic or enzyme power in these cases you need to do a step mash, the proteinase rest will boost enzyme levels before the saccharification rest.

I have run belgian wits with 50% unmalted wheat (fine burghul) and hit over 80% mash efficiency no worries, running both a glucan/acid (about 20 mins at 45c) and a proteinase rest (another 20 to 30 mins at 55c.) One of these wits got a 78 at the 2016 NSW state comp.

Something easy drinking...

Recipe: Pacific Ale

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Blonde Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 59.9 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 39.9 %

0.01 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 3 0.2 %

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %'] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 22.8 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitelabs Melbourne Ale.

Hey Ben 10

How did this turn out? I am copying your hop schedule for my brew tomorrow. I'm using 40% wheat malt as well, a bit lower OG than your brew. Grains milled and ready for me to mash in when I wake up tomorrow.

And guys, quite timely discussion with the wheat beer post. 40% wheat, am I going to take a hit on efficiency? This is the first time I have brewed all-grain with malted wheat

If you're going to brew with lots of wheat malt & are concerned with the possibility of a gluggy mash & poor efficiency, then buy some rice hulls & use them in the mash.

I'm led to believe approx. 200gms in a standard volume brew is enough to help keep the mash from becoming overly gluggy & improve the separation & flow of wort through the grain bed.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Hey Ben 10

How did this turn out?

Bottled it yesterday and it appears I have achieved what I set out to. Nice bitterness from a FV sample.

I don't have issues with wheat and efficiency. The rice hulls are not needed with BIAB.

The recipe was a kit from a homebrew shop, this was my first time making a wheat ale, so I decided to use a kit instead of finding or making up a recipe. I'm kind of disappointed in the kit. Someone asked if the wheat was malted, it was.

I brewed it with my 3V system. The mash didn't get stuck, but the consistency was kind of like porridge. I'm going to see if I can apply the advice you guys have given for the next attempt. I really like wheat beer, so I want to learn how to make it. I didn't have any other fermentables sitting around, so I boiled 200g of dextrose, cooled it and poured it into the wort. That way I should end up with at least 4% ABV when it's done and bottle conditioned. I hope I get something out of it anyway.

Also, I've never had a batch start fermenting this quickly. It was bubbling within 6 hours. It's been about 18 hours since I pitched the yeast and the krausen is almost touching the lid of the 30l fermenter that it's in!

Thanks again for the advice guys!

Hey guys, mashed in this morning and the wort is on the boil right now.

I took a hit on efficiency with this wheat malt. Am used to 87-88% mash efficiency and this time got 80.32%. I did everything the same as usual, sparge (using a jug) with about 8L of water, squeeze the bag, etc.

Only diff if that I missed my intended mash temp by 0.4C, surely that wouldn't make that much difference. Aiming for 64.4C, got 64.0C. Beersmith said i should get 1.040, I got 1.036.

Good to know for my system for next time when I mash with wheat. I usually only use Gladfield malts and have been used to the great efficiency. I can't remember where the malted wheat was from, I think the brew store said Germany.

Hiya Ben. smile

I don't have issues with wheat and efficiency. The rice hulls are not needed with BIAB.
I did everything the same as usual' date=' sparge (using a jug) with about 8L of water, squeeze the bag, etc.[/quote']

It appears joolbag is sparging quite a volume, where I'm guessing your initial volume is higher & you don't? unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived