Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's probably been done before' date=' but I've never done it myself and with all this hating on Magnum coming from a single source [img']tongue[/img], I'm curious about it now.

My next pale ale will be all home grown Cascade flowers, maybe I'll do it after that one.

You are right, it has been done before by our dear friends at Brulosophy. Sounds like your Cascade pale ale would be tastier though! How are you going to estimate the bitterness?

Magnum still serves a purpose as a decent bittering hop. I don't use it in all batches' date=' but I have some on hand for early boil additions so I can save more of the other hops for late additions and dry hopping.[/quote']

And there in lies the single statement I'm trying to educate people on about using this hop, even for bittering purposes.

It basically has NO residual qualities. There are other hops of similar alpha levels that will leave some residual & noticeable trait in the beer even if boiled for long periods. These traits (dependent on the hop used) are worth having in the final beer as they add character & "rounding" to certain malt bills.

It's probably been done before' date=' but I've never done it myself and with all this hating on Magnum coming from a single source , I'm curious about it now...

...Maybe I'll do an all Magnum pale ale at some point just to see what it really does taste like late and dry hopped as well as early.[/quote']

Please do, & make sure you document it on the forum as everyone who has ever brewed a fully hopped Magnum beer has always been to embarrassed or ashamed to post anything about it.

I for one will be interested to read about the most boring beer ever created outside the dry enzyme megaswill crap out there. tongue

It was probably Lusty. He protests too much and so has a secret affinity for Magnum.

I have NO affinity with this hop. Let's be clear on that.

The only thing I want regarding this hop is for every plant & rhizome currently in existence to be ripped from the Earth & either hurled into deep space' date=' or piled up in a single mound in a designated place & burnt to an unrecognizable & unusable cinder. That would bring me great joy. [img']joyful[/img]

Death to Magnum. devil

Lusty.

It's probably been done before' date=' but I've never done it myself and with all this hating on Magnum coming from a single source [img']tongue[/img], I'm curious about it now.

My next pale ale will be all home grown Cascade flowers, maybe I'll do it after that one.

You are right, it has been done before by our dear friends at Brulosophy. Sounds like your Cascade pale ale would be tastier though! How are you going to estimate the bitterness?

It most likely will be tastier haha. Essentially I'm going to just wing it on the bitterness, I'll estimate 5% AA for the hops given they were first year flowers and all that. All I have to do now is remember what idea I came up with to boil the flowers without affecting the boil off rate pinched. Last time I made a brew with flowers I used an old grain bag to contain them but it messed up the boil off rate and the SG only increased by 2 points over 75 minutes lol. I suspect it was something along the lines of making a giant hop spider with some mesh, but yeah.

Cheers

Kelsey

........I've never done it myself and with all this hating on Magnum coming from a single source ......

Some people like fruit tingles..... I don't.

There is the KISS principle which applies equally to beer as it does to other facets of life. There is a difference between complexity and confusion.

If Hairy chooses the KISS method then why tell him he knows SFA about hops and yeast unsure

Cheers

Scottie

I don't know why he keeps banging on about it... fine if he thinks it's boring or whatever, don't use it then. Other people using it is not affecting his beers so what's the big deal? lol

I hate wheat beers but I don't go onto every wheat beer thread and crap on about why I hate them, I just don't brew or drink them. Others brewing and drinking them has no effect on me.

I don't know why he keeps banging on about it... fine if he thinks it's boring or whatever' date=' don't use it then. Other people using it is not affecting his beers so what's the big deal? [img']lol[/img]

I hate wheat beers but I don't go onto every wheat beer thread and crap on about why I hate them, I just don't brew or drink them. Others brewing and drinking them has no effect on me.

Nicely put

Something easy drinking...

Recipe: Pacific Ale

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Blonde Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 59.9 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 39.9 %

0.01 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 3 0.2 %

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 22.8 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitelabs Melbourne Ale.

Something easy drinking...

Recipe: Pacific Ale

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Blonde Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 59.9 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 39.9 %

0.01 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 3 0.2 %

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %'] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 22.8 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitelabs Melbourne Ale.

Stone & Wood here we come. . . cool

I don't know why he keeps banging on about it... fine if he thinks it's boring or whatever' date=' don't use it then. Other people using it is not affecting his beers so what's the big deal? [img']lol[/img]

I guess the concept of 'personal taste and preference' is a little challenging for some to comprehend.

As an aside... I don't like wheat beers either! devil

Hey Ben10

Funny coincidence you posted this just now. I was mucking around in Beersmith 2 the other night and put together a recipe for a Pacific Ale as well. 75% ale malt, 25% wheat malt. AG, no chill like you do.

I am not on that computer at the moment and it’s not in my Beersmith cloud. I think I had 15g at 10min, then 30g at flameout for a 20min steep. Then 56g dry hop. I ticked the no-chill box in Beersmith.

I’m interested how yours will come out given you are only adding hops at flameout for a 20min steep/whirlpool, then cubing.

Last time I tried to no-chill an all Galaxy Pale Ale, it ended up really bitter and harsh. Perhaps I should do something like your recipe to go the other way, and if it’s not bitter enough then move some hops to a short boil.

I’m interested how yours will come out given you are only adding hops at flameout for a 20min steep/whirlpool' date=' then cubing.

[/quote']

I have done this before but not with Galaxy. The beer was really nice with an extraordinarily smooth bitterness. I think I based the idea on an email Lusty (?) had with Ben from Bridge Rd Brewery regarding their Beechworth Pale.

Early morning Brew Day, making my Session IPA.

Gotta love August and coming out of the depths of winter, a while back my brew day was started at minus 2 and maxed out at 5 or 6 degrees . This morning it is a balmy 8 degrees and heading for 15, hopefully I'm done before the showers set in.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley brew

Interesting brew Grumpy,

Just the galaxy whirlpool at flame out and dry hopped,

Ive always been scared to try this but I must say im keen to put this one down to see how it goes!

Im sure its a great guests drink or to have at a party but most importantly hopefully a great hot summer day refreshing beer to be enjoyed by ones self...

Is the dark malt (roasted barley) purely for colour or does it balance the lack of bitterness by adding a hint of roastyness?

Ligero IPA

20 litres

OG -1.040

FG - 1.014

ABV - 3.5%

IBU - 38

6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins @ 69 degrees C)

3.00 g Calcium Chloride

2.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.75 kg Wheat Malt, Ger

0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt (118.2 EBC)

0.10 kg Acid Malt

10.00 g Magnum @ 60 mins

20.00 g Simcoe @20 mins

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10

15.00 g Cascade [7.00 %] - @ 10.0

10.00 g Crystal [3.40 %] - @ 10.0

20.00 g Cascade [7.00 %] - @ 1.0

20.00 g Simcoe [12.90 %] - @ 1.0

10.00 g Crystal [3.40 %] - @ 1.0

US05

15.00 g Cascade - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

10.00 g Crystal - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Double brew night last night:

Citra Chinook IPA 2

Brewed 25/8/17

Coopers Lager can

Coopers LLME can

200g Cara Rye

500g white sugar

Chinook 40g 20min

Citra 50g 10min

Citra 25g 5min

Ian H xls:

IBUs 63

OG 1.064

FG 1.016

(Usually get an FG of. 1.011, with similar recipes)

1.5 litre starter of West Yorkshire

Pitched at 26deg, fridge set to 19deg

Will dry/keg hop 50g of Citra

Should be 7%ABV in the keg

Did an ESB as well but ended up putting Cascade in late with the Goldings, so now I don't know what to call it?

Coopers English Bitter can

Coopers LLME can

Choc malt 100g

Crystal malt 100g

White sugar 400g

Goldings 20g 5min

Cascade 20g 5 min

Ian H xls:

IBUs 47

OG 1.060

FG 1.016

(Usually get an FG of. 1.010 with similar recipes)

1.5 litre starter of Nottingham

Pitched at 26deg, fridge set to 19deg

Should be 6.5%ABV

IPA smelt amazing during the hop boil, can't wait to try this one

Cheers

James

Well there's a lesson for novices, always believe your BeerSmith Inventory list. Only 20g of Cascade in stock. Substituted Mosaic and the steeping wort smelt love. Also got more volume and better efficiency so lucky to still hit 1.040.

Ligero IPA

22 litres

OG -1.040

FG - 1.014

ABV - 3.5%

IBU - 38

6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins @ 69 degrees C)

3.00 g Calcium Chloride

2.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.75 kg Wheat Malt, Ger

0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt (118.2 EBC)

0.10 kg Acid Malt

10.00 g Magnum @ 60 mins

20.00 g Simcoe @20 mins

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10

15.00 g Mosaic [11.50 %] - @ 10.0

10.00 g Crystal [3.40 %] - @ 10.0

20.00 g Mosaic [11.50 %] - @ F/O

20.00 g Simcoe [12.90 %] - @ F/O

10.00 g Crystal [3.40 %] - @ F/O

US05

15.00 g Mosaic - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

10.00 g Crystal - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Put down a triple batch of American Amber on sunday

Golden promise and BB ale for the base

1 kg of munich for a bit of extra malt

Little bit of Shepherds delight and touch of choc rye mostly for colour and a little sweetness to balance the beer out

We had no carapils or wheat so ended up doing a decoction to add a rest at 72 C to extract those dextrins , drank a few pints of our last amber while brewing and it's delicious !

Utterly smashable and those kegs are already endangered

wp_20170827_001-jpg.1843

Hop wise it was just a freezer raid

Magnum for the bittering just to upset Lusty

Citra and Simcoe @ 20 ,5 and whirlpool for total IBUs of 38

Wyeast 1272 is my default yeast and will be last brew from that culture , starting fresh from 2 new smack packs this week

Hi everyone,

Brew day was yesterday, so I decided to whip up 1 gallon of hard cider / apple wine. Will back sweeten when finished.

Ingredients:

4 Litres of Apple Juice

Juice of 1 Lime

1 Tea Bag (Black Tea)

400g Brown Sugar

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Lalvin EC-1118 (BeerSmith called for 2 packs, but I only had 1 on hand)

Specifications:

Ferment @ 21°C (ambient temp)

OG = approx. 1.070

FG (estimated) = approx. 0.984

ABV (estimated) = 11.4%

Cheers!

Nice looking beer Pirate! cool

Sounds very tasty.....except for the Magnum (of course!) tongue

What ABV did you brew it to?

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

The one in the glass was only 5.2 %ABV so pretty much a session beer for us , There's a session IPA just been kegged as well that's ~90 IBU and 4.7 ish , my coopers clone @ 4.7 % as well

The pilsner / pacifica sMaSh i'll present at SABC tomorrow night is 5.95 % and think is the strongest i have just now .

You really should start thinking about the case swap Lusty , if no other reason than attending for the beers on offer

I'll be swapping my Pirate XPA and bringing the rest of the keg along for the night and Smurto is judging the single recipe ( Stammtisch) challenge since we're doing a Smurtos golden ale this time .

So for any Adelaide brewers not busy Tues 29 th august at 7 PM maybe think about coming along to the Wheaty for some good brews , good company and a presentation by Beerco on grains and hops and our sMasH beers as well ( 3 of us i think )

Hi Mark.

...You really should start thinking about the case swap Lusty ' date=' if no other reason than attending for the beers on offer...[/quote']

I won't be brewing a beer for, or attending the Spring case swap. It's rare for me to get a Saturday or weekend off in my trade, & the Autumn case swap I attended & brewed for along with the SABC meeting Kieran presented at are hard to attend without costing me $$$'s I need to keep a roof over my head.

When I can, I enjoy meeting & speaking with other brewers etc. it just ain't that easy all the time. pouty

I hope the Pilsner goes over well, & good luck in the Stammtisch challenge. wink

P.S. You're starting to sound like Ben 10 when referring to ABV%! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived