Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

What's the IBU on this beer with a can of lager and pale ale? Those 10min additions would add a touch of bitterness too

Probably somewhere between 40 and 45 from the two tins, maybe 10 from the 5 and 10 min additions. Shouldn't be out of balance in any case, given the OG.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
two can ale-a-saurus drag it! mosaic and cascade' date=' nice combo. ONe of my favourites

What's the IBU on this beer with a can of lager and pale ale? Those 10min additions would add a touch of bitterness too[/quote']

Yeah the two tins make around 50 IBU apparently at 25 litres.

The two boil additions aren't adding up to a lot in the calculator… and I don't really know how to calculate the later additions at lower temps, haven't really got my head around the utilization % yet.

I'm guessing this will be around 60ish IBU in the end.

The additions under 100°C in this recipe (about 80°C is the cutoff) won't contribute any IBUs but the boil and flameout ones will. Given the short time though, the amount wouldn't be a whole heap and even then it'll be mainly flavor and aroma. For instance, 50 IBUs from all late boil and flameout additions will present probably less bitter than 50 IBUs from a 60 minute boil addition.

First attempt at a Golden ale. Thought I'd go for something sessionable, and feature munich and a good dose of rye malt in this one:

This malt infuses the traditional light spicy malted rye flavours and colour to beers and gives the drinker a clean' date=' dry mouth feel when drunk. We recommend a starting percentage of 10% that can then be increased up to 50% for more rye flavour.[/i']

Gregarious Golden Ale

(Partial Mash @66ºC, pH=5.33)

1 x Coopers OS lager 39.5%

1kg GF American Ale Malt 23.3%

1kg GF Munich Malt 23.3%

600g GF Malted Rye 14%

12g Wakatu (30 mins)

25g Taiheke (30 min sub 80º steep)

Coopers Ale/Lager Yeast

| OG=1.045 | IBU=31.5 | Colour=10.7EBC | ABV=4.1% |

Brew underway.

5kg Joe White ale malt

800g weyermans carapils

280 bairds dark choc malt

28g styrian golding 60min

30g fuggles 60min

15g styrian golding 30min

20g fuggles 30min

Mash 68deg 60min

Mash out 75 10min

Boil 60min

23l batch

Not sure what yeast i will use yet. I have a few to choose from.

Due to some gravity issues with my last batch of stout, its drinking more like a dark ale than a stout. Not bad, but I want something with a bit more body to it. I was in Wagga a couple weeks ago and had some Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout, which is delicious. It's also on tap at Grease Monkey in Canberra at the moment. Anyway, I've decided to brew a clone of it. Luckily ( as previously posted on this forum), there is a detailed recipe from the brewer available from their old blog site.

So I'll be having a go at it. Here is the recipe scaled to a 20L batch.

Thirsty Crow Vanilla Milk Stout

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %

Bitterness: 25.0 IBUs

Est Color: 85.0 EBC

4.08 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) 73.0 %

0.37 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) 6.6 %

0.37 kg Crystal, Light (Simpsons) (104.0 EBC) 6.6 %

0.32 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) 5.8 %

0.45 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC) 8.0 %

40.95 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 25.0 IBUs

Instructions for fermenation and vanilla addition are:

"English Yeast – start cool 16 degrees and raise to 21 over course of ferment. At end of ferment titrate Vanilla Extract at a dose of 1mL to every 1L of beer. Condition for 5 weeks and carbonate at 2.8 volumes."

I will be using some US05 because I already have it instead of the English yeast. Also, I feel like volumes is ridiculously high(maybe a typo?). On tap the beer certainly isn't that highly carbonated.

Fingers crossed its somewhere in the ball park of the original, because its a cracker!

Brewer: Wobbly

Batch Size: 26.00 l Style: Strong Bitter (11C)

Boil Size: 35.20 l Style Guide: BJCP 2015

Color: 31.9 EBC Equipment: Crab Cooker (10 Gal/38 L) - BIAB

Bitterness: 34.6 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min

Est OG: 1.050 (12.3° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Est FG: 1.012 SG (3.1° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

ABV: 4.9% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients

Amount Name Type #

26.00 l Brewers Friend - Balanced Profile Water 1

3.29 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 2

2.26 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 3

2.04 g Baking Soda (Mash 60 min) Misc 4

1.70 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60 min) Misc 5

1.30 g Chalk (Mash 60 min) Misc 6

1.00 Campden Tablet (Mash 80 min) Misc 7

3.90 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 8

1.00 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 9

300.0 g Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 10

200.0 g Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 11

300.0 g Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 12

150.0 g BEST Acidulated (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC) Grain 13

150.0 g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 14

10.0 g Magnum [14.0%] - First Wort Hops 15

0.50 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5 min) Misc 16

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min) Misc 17

60.0 g Galaxy [14.0%] - Steep 20 min Hops 18

1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 19

140.0 g Galaxy [14.0%] - Dry Hop 2 days Hops 20

High efficiency again today, mash efficiency was about 96% and had to do a worryingly large boil, then cube 27L into the cube and another 6L into another container (though with a lot of trub). Mash was hard work with the fine crush (this time with no rye), and temps not very consistent due to the slow drainage, so will be going back to a coarse crush next brew.

I made up my Imperial American Amber Lager last night. The Centennial hops from Brewman Dealz filled the house with a beautiful smell! Luckily I have a decent dry hop to come to top up that lost aroma.

1 x Family Secret Amber Ale kit

4 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

75g Centennial (9.2 %AA) at 5 mins

75g Centennial at flameout (30 minute steep)

150g Centennial dry hop

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager (repitched slurry)

Fermenter volume: 21 litres

OG: 1.065

IBUs: 60+ (kit made up to 21 litres = 45.3, 5 mins hops = 16.8, + more from flameout addition)

Hopefully it doesn't get blanded down too much by the massive overpitch of yeast. I know it sounds fantastic and all that it took off in such a short period of time' date=' but the reason it did is because the yeast barely had to multiply - this is a process that actually influences the final flavor of the beer quite a bit. In basic terms less multiplication of yeast can equal less flavor.[/quote']

True. But in this case I wouldn't think that would matter a whole lot given the very neutral stasis of the yeasts being used here. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi John.

I made up my Imperial American Amber Lager last night. The Centennial hops from Brewman Dealz filled the house with a beautiful smell! Luckily I have a decent dry hop to come to top up that lost aroma.

1 x Family Secret Amber Ale kit

4 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

75g Centennial (9.2 %AA) at 5 mins

75g Centennial at flameout (30 minute steep)

150g Centennial dry hop

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager (repitched slurry)

Fermenter volume: 21 litres

OG: 1.065

IBUs: 60+ (kit made up to 21 litres = 45.3' date=' 5 mins hops = 16.8, + more from flameout addition)[/quote']

Interesting recipe. Lager yeast, solid malt bill, & massive late hopping. I admit I've never heard of an Imperial American Amber Lager before.

From memory you've brewed a version of the Coopers DIY Extra Strong Vintage Ale previously, so I'll be very interested in how close this recipe of yours resembles that style once it's in the glass. It appears to be in a similar range on a few levels.

I've been thinking of making an Old Ale recipe for sometime now, & this kit might make a very good starting point for it if wishing to use a kit base as something a little different to the ESVA recipe.

I'll look forward to your comments down the track. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Interesting recipe. Lager yeast' date=' solid malt bill, & massive late hopping. I admit I've never heard of an Imperial American Amber Lager before.

From memory you've brewed a version of the Coopers DIY Extra Strong Vintage Ale previously, so I'll be very interested in how close this recipe of yours resembles that style once it's in the glass. It appears to be in a similar range on a few levels.

I've been thinking of making an Old Ale recipe for sometime now, & this kit might make a very good starting point for it if wishing to use a kit base as something a little different to the ESVA recipe.

I'll look forward to your comments down the track. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size]

Hehe, that's because I made it up. I did some Googling and couldn't really find anything for the style. Could it be because it is a terrible idea and no one who has ever tried to brew one will admit to it? I suppose the closest style would be 21B Specialty IPA - Red IPA in the 2015 BJCP guidelines. So you could call it a Red IPL perhaps? Anyway, I envision the end product will be very tasty!

It is currently sitting at 13° C in my little Cool Brewing bag with a nice krausen forming. I still haven't added the dextrose actually - was saving that in case my yeast got sluggish at some point.

The ESVA kit was indeed very nice, but not quite as hoppy. The all-grain Old Ale I brewed quite a while ago now was terrific, one of the nicest beers I have made (despite my priming mistake which led me to move to bulk-priming ... 1 coopers carb drop per 330ml bottle does *not* result in the right carb level for an Old Ale).

I think if you used the American Amber kit as a base then made up the rest of the fermentables with a nice English base malt partial mash you would get a good result. If you couldn't get up to a high enough OG (~1.070 worked well), I'd add LDM to make up the difference. And pitch it with a nice English yeast strain of course. Since many Old Ales would have picked up some Brett character while aging in the barrels, I have my eyes on the Wyeast 9097PC Old Ale Blend (an ale strain and a Brett strain blend) for next time. And me being me, I would boil a reasonably hefty dose of English hops for say 10 minutes at the end. You wouldn't want to pick up too much bitterness over the kit (since made up to 21 litres it already gives 45 IBUs), but luckily most English aroma hops are pretty low %AA. And not being as high in oil content they won't overpower the malt like some US / AUS / NZ varieties would. I imagine you would be aging it for a while anyway (if you could keep your hands off it), which would bring it into a nice balance.

*Sigh* typing this is making me thirsty!

Cheers,

John

G'day everyone. Going to brew my seasonal dark beer this weekend. Usually I do a Milk Stout but this time I'm going brew a Robust Porter after finding the following recipe at BeerCo. It wouldn't be a Cash Bar Winter Brew if I didn't wait til halfway through Winter to actually make it lol.

Choc Rye Porter

3kg Gladfield Ale Malt

2.2kg Gladfield Aurora Malt

1kg Gladfield Rye Malt

0.5kg Gladfield Light Chocolate

20g Centennial @ 60 min

25g East Kent Goldings @ 30 min

35g East Kent Goldings @ 5 min

MJ New World Strong Ale Yeast

Cheers + Beers!

Mark

...Since many Old Ales would have picked up some Brett character while aging in the barrels' date=' I have my eyes on the Wyeast 9097PC Old Ale Blend (an ale strain and a Brett strain blend) for next time.[/quote']

Interesting choice of yeast. I confess I'm not much of a fan of sours. I admit I haven't tried a blended Brettanomyces & Saccharomyces fermented beer before, so really have no idea of how much influence the Saccharomyces has in there with the Brett. The mention that the sour notes increase as it ages definitely puts me off the idea of using one though. sick

Interesting old stories of how Brett would actually live within the nooks & crannies of the barrels.

Good luck with it when you eventually get around to brewing it.

Good luck with the brew mate.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

Finished @ 1012… ouch

Is this the re-iterated mash Double IPA?

What was your actual OG?

If it was the quoted 1.093 then that is 86% apparent attenuation & a 10.63% ABV beer buddy! w00t

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hopefully it doesn't get blanded down too much by the massive overpitch of yeast. I know it sounds fantastic and all that it took off in such a short period of time' date=' but the reason it did is because the yeast barely had to multiply - this is a process that actually influences the final flavor of the beer quite a bit. In basic terms less multiplication of yeast can equal less flavor.[/quote']

True. But in this case I wouldn't think that would matter a whole lot given the very neutral stasis of the yeasts being used here. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

That may or may not be true but either way, massively overpitching yeast is still not a good habit to get into, unless you're brewing megaswill perhaps and actually want it as bland as possible biggrin

Is this the re-iterated mash Double IPA?

What was your actual OG?

Think it was around 1.085 but don't recall.

Hey Benny' date=' you rarely speak of the yeasts you are using from brew to brew.

I was just curious, what are the regular ones you use? [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Benny' date=' you rarely speak of the yeasts you are using from brew to brew.

I was just curious, what are the regular ones you use? [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

MJ's New World Strong is my favourite and I have had some good beers with MJ's Cali Common or whatever it is called.

I have been using it in Ambers for some reason I cannot remember and I like it.

Yet another Amber on the go today. This is a lighter version of two quite different ambers I like to brew, the other, I refer to as a Red Ale uses much richer malts. I've been steadily refining this recipe and after 5 iterations I'm hoping this one will be THE one. They've all been Ok but I always felt with each version tweaks were necessary.

This time, using my usual partial mash approach:

(20 litres)

1 x Coopers OS lager

1.8kg GF Ale Malt

600g GF Malted rye

200g GF Supernova

40g Roasted Barley

10g Waimea 15mins

25g Taiheke (30 min post boil steep)

5g Gypsum

Coopers Ale/Lager slurry

Mash Temp = 66.5ºC, pH=5.25

Just chucked a kits & bits 4 Pines Pale Ale clone in the FV. Not brewing heaps because of my impending Grainfather purchase which is getting closer thanks to a couple a good sport multi bets getting up!!

Oh yeeaaahhhh!!

Youngie

Recipe: Smoked Porter

Brewer: Grumpy

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 60.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 42.4 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 54.1 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 18.0 %

1.00 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 18.0 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4 4.5 %

0.15 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.7 %

0.15 kg Midnight Wheat (1083.0 EBC) Grain 6 2.7 %

30.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 42.4 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brewed these 2 up the other night.

Ones an American pale ale / IPA.

It's just inside the boundaries for an IPA on the Ian xls.

The other is an ESB, bit like the Broadside / Hob Gobbler.

Citra Secret IPA brewed 28/6/17

Coopers Real Ale can

Coopers Amber LME can

640g LDME ( 500g dry and 140g in starter 1.4 litre)

250g white sugar

250g Cararye

40g Citra 10 mins

25g Vic Secret 10 mins

Nottingham yeast starter 1.4 litre

Pitched at 25degC, brew fridge set to 19degC

Ian H xls says

OG 1.061

FG 1.014

6.2%ABV and 49IBUs

ESB

Coopers English Bitter can

Coopers LLME can

500g DME

350g white sugar

100g Crystal

100g Chocolate malt

20g Goldings 5 mins

20g Cascade 5 mins

200Bn cells 1469 pitched at 25degC

Brew fridge set to 19degC

xls says:

OG 1.059

FG 1.016

5.6%ABV

36IBUs

Cheers

James

A Vienna and Centennial Blonde Ale SMaSH for me tomorrow morning - was scheduled for last weekend but I only had time to throw down the IPA that I'd also pencilled in...

21l Batch Size

Vienna Malt 4.33kgs

Centennial 10gms 60mins

Centennial 10gms 20mins

Centennial 10gms 5mins

US-05

Est OG 1044

IBU 20

60min mash @ 67°

Archived