Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given you no-chill Ben' date=' why not just do a second brew & combine the two worts to hit your marks? [img']unsure[/img]

That would only work if the second brew was brewed to a higher SG than the actual recipe target. If you put 10 litres of existing 1.075 wort into 10L of 1.094 wort, the OG will end up somewhere in the middle around 1.085.

I've yet to brew a decent Blonde... previous attempts varied somewhere between just plain uninteresting through to sick So, another attempt! Unfortunately I had to sub the intended Gladfield Toffee malt with Carahell as LHBS was out of stock. annoyed

Brazen Blonde

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager

1.20 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 27.9 %

1.00 kg Gladfield Vienna Malt 23.3 %

0.40 kg Carahell (Weyermann) 9.3 %

15g Taiheke - Boil 5.0 min

25g Wakatu (Hallertau Aroma) - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

Kit Ale/lager Yeast

On this occasion 95% of the bittering is courtesy of the Coopers can. I did want a bit of hop freshness in there though so there's a late addition of Taiheke and also a Wakatu steep. It's probably going to be way hoppier than a blonde ought to be... but oddly, I don't care! w00t

BlackSands - I see you use Gladfield Toffee malt. I have just used it for the first time in an ESB and kegged it yesterday. I had the mandatory half schooner whilst kegging and I think it will be a yummy beer once carbonated. I used 5% and am asking how much do you use in your beers?

Cheers - Morrie.

BlackSands - I see you use Gladfield Toffee malt.
Actually... I didn't! It was supposed to be in the recipe but my LHBS was out. I used carahell instead. annoyed

However' date=' I have used their toffee before in past APA and another which I think was an English Bitter from memory and it was around 5% I recall. In this blonde ale it would have been 9.3%. I'm a bit miffed that the store was out of stock as I'd deliberately elected to use 400g in this brew in the hope that being the only specialty malt in this light beer I'd then get a good idea of what this malt actually brings to the table. It's certainly interesting to chew on the grain, quite soft compared to the usual crystals.

[img']cool[/img]

Another mystery partial APA for me yesterday

3Kg galdfields PA

500gm Caramalt

14 litre boil

Hop schedule

10gm magnum 45

10gm cascade 20

10gm cascade 15

10gm falconers flight 10

10gm cascade 5

10gm falconer flight 0 (100 degree flameout)

10gm falconer flight 0 (90 degree flameout)

10gm galaxy 0 (80 degree flameout)

10gm cascade 0 (70 degree flameout)

10gm falconers flight 0 (60 degree flameout)

1 can Black Rock Light

200gm dextrose

Pitch Lallemand BRY - 97

23 litres in the FV now

OG 1.052

Just finished my Summer Ale. First time using my urn and first time doing a full wort boil' date=' then no chilling. Recipe is as follows...

2 Coopers light LME cans

250g Medium Crystal

4g Warrior @ 60 mins 15.6%AA

50g Summer @ flameout with a 20min steep

50g Summer Dry hop

US-05 yeast starter

OG - 1.042

FG - 1.010 Approx

IBU - 22ish

ABV - 4.6% Approx (bottled)[/quote']

So this has been in the bottle for about 4 weeks now and i have to say that i am a little disappointed with this one. For starters its very cloudy/hazy. Not only when cold, but even in room temperature bottles its very hazy. The other thing is that there isn't alot of hop aroma or flavour like i expected. Maybe its the type of hop used? I dunno. I am about to do my first all grain this weekend and i hope it isn't a flop like this one

Hi Rowbrew.

...i have to say that i am a little disappointed with this one. For starters its very cloudy/hazy. Not only when cold' date=' but even in room temperature bottles its very hazy. The other thing is that there isn't alot of hop aroma or flavour like i expected. Maybe its the type of hop used? I dunno. I am about to do my first all grain this weekend and i hope it isn't a flop like this one[/quote']

I too wasn't the biggest fan of this hop when I did a single hop brew with it either. Yet the Coopers DIY recipe: Pacific Summer Ale has been one of the most popular recipes through the ROTM store offered brews over the last few years having been re-released due to popularity twice more (I think? unsure) since it's initial first posting. So you & I are in the minority on this one! tongue

If analyzing the Coopers recipe using the Summer hop vs both yours & my recipe(s), the Coopers recipe appears to use the Summer hop more in the flavour zone of the boil phase than both you & I did. Every hop has a sweet spot where it shines & puts its best foot forward. For the Summer hop, this appears to be in the 20min down to flameout point of the boil.

Aromatically it isn't as potent as hops like Citra, Galaxy, or Nelson Sauvin, so likely does its best work as a sub 30min boil addition, rather than if used as a dry hop.

In my usage of the hop, I used FWH, 60min & flameout additions. I'm comfortable conceding I perhaps didn't use the hop in the best way to gain the most out of it.

We live & learn. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Had a rostered day off and with this terrible weather in Sydney, had to do brew day indoors. 50L pot boils nicely on my stove top, but the downside is I had water vapour covering all of the surfaces in my kitchen!

I did a partial mash of a Citra Pale Ale that I got from an American HB site. Looks like my sort of style, lots of late hops, big dry hop and I really, really like Citra.

My partial mash recipe that I adapted was:

2.8kg Gladfield American Ale malt

225g melanoidin malt

225g light crystal malt

225g Carapils malt

450g Munich malt

Mashed for 60mins at 64.7C

78C mash out before removing and draining the BIAB

Topped up with 1.5kg Briess Pale Ale LME + water for boil (full-volume boil)

10g Citra (13.2%) @ FWH

19L into the cube

OG = 1.064

A couple of firsts for me in this brew. First FWH. Been curious but never tried it. This recipe suggested it so I just followed the instructions.

You will notice that I didn't do any flavour or aroma hops in the boil. Well after my no-chill Galaxy Pale Ale that came out WAY too bitter, I decided to try something new. I only added bittering hops before cubing. The cube is chilling to 8C overnight. I'll draw 3L of this wort off tomorrow, bring it to the boil and add my 15m, 10m, 5m and flameout hops to this drawn off wort. I might lose some hop utilisation with the small boil, but it's a small price to pay to avoid a harsh bitterness in the final beer. I have read that Galaxy and Citra exhibit similar properties and can leave harsh bitterness if boiled too long / no-chilled. I've experienced this harshness first hand... never again pls!

With the rest of the cube (16L) at 8C, and the boiled 3L much hotter after flameout and whirlpool, mixing these in the FV should get me to around pitching temp of 21C.

I put another thread re: bubbles in harvested yeast cake, and I tipped it. I will use up what I have left in the fridge. 10g Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse yeast + 7g Coopers Ale Yeast (TC series) + 7g Coopers Ale/Lager blend (International Series). 24g yeast should do it (rehydrated of course).

...10g Citra (13.2%) @ FWH...

I've produced just two beers I consider to be worthy of 5 stars in over 150 beers I've home brewed. One of those brews used exactly this amount of Citra in exactly the same way.

The full recipe is here on the forum somewhere (I think? unsure)' date=' but I'll never post a link to it. [img']wink[/img]

Not to be a total party pooper, but for those interested in trying First Wort Hopping, look to use a low cohumulone hop of ANY alpha level for this addition. The bulk of the literature out there on the WWW doesn't highlight this area as one to be concerned about, but trust me when I say it does matter.

The benefits of this addition include improved flavour, smooth bitterness, & improved head retention (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.

A couple of firsts for me in this brew. First FWH. Been curious but never tried it. This recipe suggested it so I just followed the instructions.

I always FWH, for me it is so much easier than waiting for the boil to start.

Alright, stupid brew time.

Recipe: ReCiterated

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Double IPA

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, Reiterated Mash, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.093 SG

Estimated Color: 17.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 94.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

6.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 66.7 %

3.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 33.3 %

50.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - First Wo Hop 3 58.3 IBUs

50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 6.1 IBUs

50.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 14.2 IBUs

50.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - Steep/Wh Hop 6 16.0 IBUs

100.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 9.00 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$40 brew this time.

Plan is to mash 5 kg pale. Drain bag, re heat to 65° then mash the rest. The enzymes from the first mash still being present will help the second mash.

Hey Lusty.

Im glad to hear that someone else is underwhelmed by this hop as a single addition. I can definitely see potential with this in a combo, but unfortunately it just falls short when used alone. Oh well, they can't all be perfect beers! lol

I too am using a 10g Citra FWH addition in my Citra SMaSH this coming Monday. It will be my first all grain BIAB. I can't wait!

Hi Rowbrew.
...i have to say that i am a little disappointed with this one. For starters its very cloudy/hazy. Not only when cold' date=' but even in room temperature bottles its very hazy. The other thing is that there isn't alot of hop aroma or flavour like i expected. Maybe its the type of hop used? I dunno. I am about to do my first all grain this weekend and i hope it isn't a flop like this one[/quote']

I too wasn't the biggest fan of this hop when I did a single hop brew with it either. Yet the Coopers DIY recipe: Pacific Summer Ale has been one of the most popular recipes through the ROTM store offered brews over the last few years having been re-released due to popularity twice more (I think? unsure) since it's initial first posting. So you & I are in the minority on this one! tongue

If analyzing the Coopers recipe using the Summer hop vs both yours & my recipe(s), the Coopers recipe appears to use the Summer hop more in the flavour zone of the boil phase than both you & I did. Every hop has a sweet spot where it shines & puts its best foot forward. For the Summer hop, this appears to be in the 20min down to flameout point of the boil.

Aromatically it isn't as potent as hops like Citra, Galaxy, or Nelson Sauvin, so likely does its best work as a sub 30min boil addition, rather than if used as a dry hop.

In my usage of the hop, I used FWH, 60min & flameout additions. I'm comfortable conceding I perhaps didn't use the hop in the best way to gain the most out of it.

We live & learn. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Agreed, the first bottle I sampled of a 21 litre batch with 45g Summer added at flameout and another 45g dry-hopped had a fairly subtle hop character. It is an enjoyable beer with a fairly unique and difficult-to-describe hop character, but it is not very prominent.

Edit: Mine is one of the clearest beers I have seen though.

Plan is to mash 5 kg pale. Drain bag' date=' re heat to 65° then mash the rest. The enzymes from the first mash still being present will help the second mash.[/quote']

okay. 1.047 for the first 5kg. Draining now.

Hop schedule

10gm magnum 45

10gm cascade 20

10gm cascade 15

10gm falconers flight 10

10gm cascade 5

10gm falconer flight 0 (100 degree flameout)

10gm falconer flight 0 (90 degree flameout)

10gm galaxy 0 (80 degree flameout)

10gm cascade 0 (70 degree flameout)

10gm falconers flight 0 (60 degree flameout)

surprised

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I may play around with FWH more in the future. I’m off to do more reading on cohumulone percentages in hops.

I will report back in about a month after this brew has fermented, cold-crashed, been bottled and conditioned. If this is a winning recipe, I will be buying the next release of Citra in 1lb or 2lb lots. Just can’t get enough of it.

Rowbrew, what’s your Citra SMaSH recipe? My one has over 200gm of hops in it, so will be an expensive brew, but I hope it is full of balanced hoppy goodness.

The hop schedule for mine is:

Citra 10g @ FWH

Citra 24g @ 15min

Citra 28g @ 10min

Citra 28g @ 5min

Citra 28g @ flameout

Citra 84g dry hopped

Plan is to mash 5 kg pale. Drain bag' date=' re heat to 65° then mash the rest. The enzymes from the first mash still being present will help the second mash.[/quote']

okay. 1.047 for the first 5kg. Draining now.

Interested to see how this goes, next time I brew one of my ~7kg grain bill stout recipes I might use the technique just to make the bag easier to hoist out of the urn. From experience it can be done in one hit but it's a pain in the arse.

Alright' date=' stupid brew time.

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.093 SG

Estimated Color: 17.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 94.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

6.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 66.7 %

3.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 33.3 %

50.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %'] - First Wo Hop 3 58.3 IBUs

50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 6.1 IBUs

50.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 14.2 IBUs

50.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - Steep/Wh Hop 6 16.0 IBUs

100.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

@#$%!! w00t

Massive! cool

1. What yeast are you using on this?
  2. How much yeast are you pitching?
  3. What FG are you shooting for?

I've also found Columbus makes for a lovely dry hop. wink

Good luck with the brew mate.

Cheers,

Lusty.

1. What yeast are you using on this?
  2. How much yeast are you pitching?
  3. What FG are you shooting for?

[*] Harvested New World Strong.

[*] Should be a decent over pitch to smash through it.

[*] Not fussed' date=' where ever it stops. I'd imagine 1.016 would drink nicely.

[/list']

Be interested to see if the boil lasts or cuts out.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I may play around with FWH more in the future. I’m off to do more reading on cohumulone percentages in hops.

If you can get your hands on some Waimea hops give them a try. They'd be worth checking out for either FWH or conventional boil. It's a very high AA hop (16 - 19%) but also low in cohumulone (22-24%) which makes this a great choice for bittering. cool

Interested to see how this goes' date='. [/quote']

Seems to have worked.

Pre boil of 1.070 @ 30 litres. 10 points higher than the stout with slightly less grain.

Nice, I'll give it a crack on my next stout, which I'll probably brew around November to give it plenty of ageing time in the keg. The last one was at 1.069 OG mark with just a single mash, from a 1.054 pre-boil SG... might be able to bump that up a bit with a re-iterated mash. That grain bill was 7.05kg.

Archived