Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

Is it really brewing if i'm just making a small beer as a starter for a real one ? 5 litre batch with just LDM and a smack pack of 1272 , enough to pitch both batches still in cubes and save a load for later

Love this yeast strain so about time i propagated enough to keep using it without buying it at $13.50 a pop

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it really brewing if i'm just making a small beer as a starter for a real one ? 5 litre batch with just LDM and a smack pack of 1272 ' date=' enough to pitch both batches still in cubes and save a load for later[/quote']

Only if you drink it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Is it really brewing if i'm just making a small beer as a starter for a real one ? 5 litre batch with just LDM and a smack pack of 1272 ' date=' enough to pitch both batches still in cubes and save a load for later[/quote']

Cheers,

Lusty.

Beer without hops ? I'm frankly offended you would even suggest it

Yesterday was brew day and I originally intended to brew an English brown ale/amber using S-04 and Willamette hops in the style of JSAA but decided to do an American Amber instead. Grain bill was the same just sub hops as Centennial for bittering and Mosaic for flavour. I only had the S-04 yeast (never it used it before) and as I forgot to pick up some BR-97 on Thursday, I used some Nottingham slurry from the IPA I bottled yesterday.

--------------------------

Boil Size: 32.03 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.19 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l

Bottling Volume: 21.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.049 SG

Estimated Color: 29.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 30.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 80.6 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.20 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 68.1 %

0.75 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 16.0 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 3 6.4 %

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 %

0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 5 1.1 %

16.00 g Centennial [9.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 16.4 IBUs

0.20 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [boil for 10 min] Sugar 7 4.3 %

30.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop 8 8.4 IBUs

40.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 9 5.6 IBUs

OG was spot on and sample tasted good without being too bitter. As I no chill it takes a little estimation due to the Mosaic being from 14 vintage so the decay rate is unknown. Hops have been stored vacuum sealed in the fridge and smelled great. Cane sure was boiled for 10 mins.

May need to pick up a fresh packet of Mosaic to dry hop.

You asked a question to separate the two, I gave it. The offence only comes from what you do with that information, & your overall perception of that decision on your part. wink

I met you briefly & you didn't look young enough to qualify in the generation Z group that blame everyone outside themselves for their life experiences?! tongue

Semantics aside, I'm sure your full volume brew will turn out a very nice beer provided the processes go according to plan.

Good luck with it Pirate.

Lusty.

You asked a question to separate the two, I gave it. The offence only comes from what you do with that information, & your overall perception of that decision on your part. wink

I met you briefly & you didn't look young enough to qualify in the generation Z group that blame everyone outside themselves for their life experiences?! tongue

Semantics aside, I'm sure your full volume brew will turn out a very nice beer provided the processes go according to plan.

Good luck with it Pirate.

Lusty.

By now you do know i like the stir people up a bit !

Are you coming along to the Wheaty on weds night for the tasting of the Coopers yeast pitching rates exBeeriment ? Been a rather long running debate on how much to re culture , how to step it up if at all so it should be very interesting and help me further refine my own clone attempt

By now you do know i like the stir people up a bit !

Absolutely I do. lol

Are you coming along to the Wheaty on weds night for the tasting of the Coopers yeast pitching rates exBeeriment ? Been a rather long running debate on how much to re culture ' date=' how to step it up if at all so it should be very interesting and help me further refine my own clone attempt.[/quote']

I wish I could be there, but I'm pretty sure I've got to work until about 7.00pm on that day. pouty

I'm really looking forward to the outcome of Doomed's experiments with the CCA yeast. It should put a great many things about required yeast cell count numbers to rest. It was good to hear that all 4 batches fermented away well.

I'm guessing he's keeping the outcome information for the presentation first before releasing it on the BA forum? unsure

It should be a very interesting evening.

Lusty.

Amber Ale today , was going to do this the other week but brewed yet another APA instead .

Will need more cubes at this rate as now supplying others with fresh wort kits

Here's todays effort

HOME BREW RECIPE:

Title: Winter amber ale

Author: Marky

Brew Method: All Grain

Style Name: American Amber Ale

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 28 liters

Boil Gravity: 1.047

Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Using some old grain so dropped this a little ...what's the worst that can happen ?

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.057

Final Gravity: 1.014

ABV (standard): 5.65%

IBU (tinseth): 37.46

SRM (ebcmorey): 26.92

FERMENTABLES:

2.29 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (37.4%)

1 kg - JWM Export pils (16.3%)

0.6 kg - German - Munich Dark (9.8%)

0.4 kg - United Kingdom - Amber (6.5%)

0.34 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (5.5%)

0.25 kg - German - Carapils (4.1%)

0.2 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (3.3%)

0.05 kg - American - Roasted Barley (0.8%)

1 kg - Gladfields Ale (16.3%)

HOPS:

10 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 15.88

20 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 11.15

20 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.63

25 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.6, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.66

25 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.13

40 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.6, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

40 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

MASH GUIDELINES:

1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 32 L

Starting Mash Thickness: 5.6 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

0.5 each - whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:

Wyeast - American Ale II 1272

Starter: Yes

Form: Liquid

Attenuation (avg): 74%

Flocculation: High

Optimum Temp: 15.56 - 22.22 C

Fermentation Temp: 17 C

*EDIT *

Turned out a few points higher than expected for post boil , Stole 1200 mls from mash as a real wort starter and diluted boil a touch to fudge my numbers

Changed 1 min addition to 30 g each Mosiac , Centennial and Jarrylo just because i wanted to when i weighed them out 1492399865_96_82.jpg

Post boil sample is still a few points high

Perfect middle point for the style is 26.6 ...almost exactly mid range for the style according to BJCP

Gravity and IBU are both close to top of range but plan on letting this age a little so should be nice and warm and mellow by then

If this turns out well will be entered in SABSOSA in August

Hi guys.

I couldn't be bothered with a long grain based brew day today, but need to get something tasty down as I have a spare keg atm.

Country Brewer Wal's Pale Ale 1.7kg

Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract 1kg

Supernova Malt grain 200gms steeped @ 65-70°C for 30mins

Cascade 25gms steeped @ 65-70°C for 30mins

Falconer's Flight 25gms steeped @ 65-70°C for 30mins

Cascade 25gms dry hopped

Falconer's Flight 25gms dry hopped

S-04 yeast (rehydrated)

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 20°C

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brew day here today, yet another Bo Pils. Just about time to dough in the grains. This will be the first fermented with 2000 Budvar yeast. I've also had to chuck in some Magnum at 80 minutes because I don't have enough Saaz left over to use all the way through. Will order more soon.

The actual batch size will be about 21/22 litres, but I'm brewing it as if it was a 25 litre batch to account for the extra wort soaked up by all the hops in it. It's based on 75% brewhouse efficiency but I'll go below that with the lower volume.

Water & Treatment

36.00L Distilled Water 1 -

0.48 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

0.43 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

0.38 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

0.35 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

Grains

4.750 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 94.7 %

0.160 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.2 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.0 %

0.007 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.1 %

Mashed at 64C for 40 minutes, 72C for 30 minutes; mash out 78C

Hops

120.00 g Saaz {1.30 %} - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 19.2 IBUs

30.00 g Saaz {1.30 %} - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 4.3 IBUs

10.00 g Hallertau Magnum {10.50 %} - Boil 80.0 min Hop 12 11.6 IBUs

100.00 g Saaz {1.30 %} - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13 6.8 IBUs

50.00 g Saaz {1.30 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 14 1.7 IBUs

90 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 2000 Budvar Lager, 1st generation from starter. Usual lager fermentation schedule.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0482 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0081 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %

Bitterness: 43.6 IBUs

Est Color: 9.6 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Another brew day today, after this I'll have all 4 cubes filled. Today's batch is a SNPA clone which I haven't done in a while, but scaled down to 21L as I only have a 20L cube available.

I'm not doing my usual Pale Ale water profile on this batch, I'll just chuck in 5 or 6g of gypsum to get the profile balanced on the side of hoppy, rather than completely in favor of the hops like the usual profile I use is.

Grains

4.400 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 89.6 %

0.410 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 2 8.4 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 3 2.0 %

Mash at 66.7C for 70 mins, 72C for 20 mins; mash out at 78C.

Hops

18.00 g Hallertau Magnum {10.50 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.3 IBUs

18.00 g Perle {5.20 %} - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 8.1 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade {6.80 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.3 IBUs

60.00 g Cascade {6.80 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs**

75 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, 3rd generation. Ferment at 18C, usual ale schedule

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0548 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0133 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %

Bitterness: 37.8 IBUs

Est Color: 19.3 EBC*

*This is darker than the original but I don't have any lighter crystal, so meh. lol

**I've deliberately made this addition "0" minutes, because while I realise it will contribute some IBUs during the 20 minute post flameout stand, brewing it with the hop schedule listed has always turned out very very close to the original beer, even with the no-chill process.

Time to go begin heating up the water and weighing/milling grains methinks!

Cheers

Kelsey

Well RepSpec, i'm interested how this turns out if you use 100g dry hops! I’m experimenting with different amounts of dry-hopping, of different varieties of hops. The biggest for me to date will be coming up in this latest AG batch, which is a Pirate Life PA attempt. Has a combined 60gm dry hop (Mosaic + Cascade). Will compare with my other brews to see if the aroma and perceived flavour is pronounced and if a large dry hop is a worthy return on investment.

I think it is Morrie on here who must own a hop plantation as he regularly dry hops 100gm, 200gm and I think I saw 300gm in there somewhere!

What dry hops you putting in this hop slam AU? as per recipe?

gonna be a bit less...but still 80g.

Ive got 40g amarillo and 40g galaxy.

I couldnt find topaz, and the closest i could find/suggested match was amarillo.

The only thing im wondering is how much yeast to use.

Im thinking maybe just the one under the cap this time and rehydrate it but not sure.

Mate I personally would use more yeast than just 7g when fermentables are the kit + 1kg DME. From my experience 1 x 11.5g packet of US-05 would be sufficient. BUT the 7g Coopers yeast is a bit of a machine and might do it, and do it well without contributing off-flavours. I’m not a risk taker though and with the beer shortage you will be facing, you may not want to be either!

Others have used the kit yeast to ferment out a kit + 1kg DME successfully. YMMV

where you based again mate? I just got one myself (I'm in Sydney). The brew was happily generating enough heat to stay at 18C, but couldn't generate enough to ramp it up to 19C and 20C so I had to plug the heat belt into the STC-1000 last night! This is on day 3.5 of fermentation

in melbourne

temps are in the high teens at the moment, but have been cold over night and the fridge is outside.

Just tried the heat belt in the inkbird, turned on and off nicely!

Id forgotten how fun brewing is...getting it all ready etc.

makes for a fun time!

Nice setup there Scottie! If you ever need to fit more grain in just mash at a lower water to grain ratio and do two batch sparge steps instead of one. Works nicely for bigger beers in my little mash tun.

Cheers' date='

John[/quote']

Thanks John cool

Archived