Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

Good work Scottie ' date=' i rarely brew anything under 5 % and i probably should do a middy for sharing and driving

How much MO and wheat is in it ? no weights listed [/quote']

Hey Markoman

I listed % as no matter what I do I can't get more than 70% total efficiency.

So with my setup I used:

2.5kg Maris Otter

.75kg Wheat Malt

0.1kg Acid

0.2kg Crystal

0.2kg Carapils

should give me an OG of 1.04

Cheers

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Titan, I don't really think there is a substitute for black malt; dark crystal isn't really the same thing, it's made differently and it isn't anywhere near as dark (~300 EBC vs. 1300+ EBC). As for the grains being milled or not, I own a grain mill so I buy mine all unmilled and just crack them as needed each time I do a brew. It means I can buy in bulk and not have to drive all the way to the shop every couple of batches or whatever.

Yesterday's brew day went well too, assuming I'll get 21L into the FV (might be more), I pretty much nailed the OG, which gave me the predicted efficiency. The pre-boil gravity was over by 3 points with the volume an extra litre bigger too which resulted in a mash efficiency of 87.7%. I only gained about 10 points during the boil rather than the predicted 12 by Beersmith, but the important numbers were spot on which is the main thing.

Cheers

Kelsey

Good to see this thread dusted off for '17.

Started my new year with a double brew - currently have two fermentors going at once.

1. American Pale Ale

6.5kg Golden Promise ale malt

0.3kg wheat malt

0.5kg light crystal malt

A small Galaxy first wort hop addition then late hop additions of Galaxy and Citra to around 30 IBUs. EBC around 20.

2. British Golden Ale Style (BJCP 12A) - Summer Ale

6.2kg Maris Otter

0.3kg wheat malt

Small FWH of Citra, then late Citra additions to around 25 IBUs. EBC around 10.

My efficiency has improved, so both ended up a little higher in OG than I wanted or anticipated. Both will be around 5.7%. Will be adjusting my kettle efficiency figure for the next batch!

Running low on grains and want an IPA or two before the next lot turn up.

Recipe: WIPA

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: White IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.064 SG

Estimated Color: 10.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 66.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 56.0 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 32.0 %

0.75 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 3 12.0 %

25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop 4 13.0 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

50.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 17.7 IBUs

50.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 7 17.0 IBUs

50.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 18.3 IBUs

50.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

50.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok mate i think i found it' date=' my supplier lists it as roasted malt. Im assuming Roasted malt = Black malt?[/quote']

Substitutable but not the same.

There are varying degrees of colour and roastedness with the roast malt.

Ok mate i think i found it' date=' my supplier lists it as roasted malt. Im assuming Roasted malt = Black malt?[/quote']

Yes. But there are different black malts too. Carafa Special is a dehusked roasted malt which is less bitter and less harsh than the standard black malt.

Yesterday's brew was the last I'll be doing for probably about a month as I have 3 cubes full, with yesterday's going in next to be properly ready for winter. I also need to get some more Brewbrite as I found yesterday there was none left pinched. First brew for quite a while without any kettle finings and it did make a difference to the way the hot break settled, or didn't really settle.

In that time I'm gonna do a big clean of the urn, which will include removing the ball valve and dismantling it, which I do every few batches anyway, also taking out the site gauge and cleaning it out properly, and removing the threaded pipe that the ball valve goes onto and cleaning it and around it on the urn, as well as replacing all thread tape and cleaning the outside of the urn which does have some old wort streaks down it. I won't be doing all of this in one day, I'll just space it out over that month or so, and have the urn nice and clean and ready for the next brew day when it happens.

In the meantime, I'll make up some recipes to brew. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

Going to have a crack at Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale this weekend - just ordered the grains.

I have wanted to do it ever since I saw the original thread and haven't had an Amber Ale in stock for a long time so thought I'd give it a crack. First mini-mash too - not sure how I'll do it. My oven is Gas so not sure I can manage the temp aswell as what Lusty does (his looks far more modern!) - or I might try a small esky and a couple of heat-pads. Will do an experiment with both and see which holds the temp better.

Don't think my LHBS has Wyeast 1318 London Ale III - so might have to try another. perhaps Nottingham or Windsor Ale yeast or Safale S-04? I don't know yeasts very well so would be interested in thoughts.

Australia Day brew day was a milk Stout! Although it was more a comedy of errors than actual brewing, I'm hoping it turns out OK... It started after I began the mash and decided to enter all my ingredients on hand into Beersmith. During this, I realised the choc malt I used was 1100 EBC and the one in my recipe was only 689. I changed the EBC in Beersmith and my colour is now off the charts at 88 EBC which was a tad over my original at 69 EBC... Then today I put it into the FV and left my mixing spoon in there with the Starsan foam. Needless to say, I lost my spoon in the foamy mess and had to fish around trying to find it, hoping my fingers were clean... Then it came time to pour in the starter and of course, I forgot about the stir bar and, plop! In it goes!

On the bright side, I hit all my targets, got a little over my expected efficiency to 72% and it's already bubbling away 6 hours later. Fingers crossed for a tasty brew!

The recipe for 25L was:

5.2kg Maris Otter

720g Choc Malt

250g Roasted Barley

450g Lactose

45g Fuggles @ 60

22g Fuggles @ 30

Mashed at 69 for 90 mins

75 min boil

Yeast: Wyeast 1098

OG: 1.058

Predicetd FG: 1.021

Hi Payno.

Going to have a crack at Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale this weekend - just ordered the grains.

...First mini-mash too - not sure how I'll do it. My oven is Gas so not sure I can manage the temp as well as what Lusty does (his looks far more modern!) - or I might try a small esky and a couple of heat-pads. Will do an experiment with both and see which holds the temp better.

Given the small volume' date=' you could actually do this on the stovetop. Add your grains at the appropriate strike temp, turn the burner off & wrap the pot in a sleeping bag/quilt or something similar. King Ruddager uses this sleeping bag/quilt wrap method with his urn process, & an ol' Coopers forum contributor "Gash Slugg" also has his own YouTube home brewing channel with videos where he uses the same process if you need additional info about how to go about it. [img']wink[/img]

Don't think my LHBS has Wyeast 1318 London Ale III - so might have to try another. perhaps Nottingham or Windsor Ale yeast or Safale S-04? I don't know yeasts very well so would be interested in thoughts.

At the end of the day which yeast you use is your choice. Of those you mention' date=' I would use either the Windsor, or the S-04 & make sure to ferment @ 20°C. The Nottingham will attenuate higher than the other two yeasts which for a deliberately sweet malted beer style like an Amber Ale, is not a desired outcome here (IMHO).

I'm ultimately biased & think it is a lovely beer, but in my defence, a number of others on the forum have also brewed the recipe (or something close to it) & enjoyed the end result. [img']happy[/img]

Above everything else, good luck with the brew & let us know how you get on. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Payno.

...First mini-mash too - not sure how I'll do it. My oven is Gas so not sure I can manage the temp as well as what Lusty does (his looks far more modern!) - or I might try a small esky and a couple of heat-pads. Will do an experiment with both and see which holds the temp better.

Given the small volume' date=' you could actually do this on the stovetop. Add your grains at the appropriate strike temp, turn the burner off & wrap the pot in a sleeping bag/quilt or something similar. King Ruddager uses this sleeping bag/quilt wrap method with his urn process, & an ol' Coopers forum contributor "Gash Slugg" also has his own YouTube home brewing channel with videos where he uses the same process if you need additional info about how to go about it. [img']wink[/img]

At the end of the day which yeast you use is your choice. Of those you mention' date=' I would use either the Windsor, or the S-04 & make sure to ferment @ 20°C. The Nottingham will attenuate higher than the other two yeasts which for a deliberately sweet malted beer style like an Amber Ale, is not a desired outcome here (IMHO).

I'm ultimately biased & think it is a lovely beer, but in my defence, a number of others on the forum have also brewed the recipe (or something close to it) & enjoyed the end result. [img']happy[/img]

Above everything else, good luck with the brew & let us know how you get on. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty, really appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

I love a nice Amber Ale, and I think Mosaic is a delicious hop so I've wanted to do your brew ever since I first saw it posted, just hadn't got around to it.

I have watched KR's clips (who of us hasn't ? -.too entertaining not to!) and seen the insulation with the quilt/sleeping bag trick but never thought about doing that in top the stove. might give that a try, better check the original thread to see the volume you used... I was thinking about 5 litres.

Thanks for the pointer on the yeast - I'll def go with your suggestion and use one of those two. I've used S-04 before but not Winsor so maybe try that...... no idea on yeasts I have to admit it

oh by the way - I assume the Munich in the recipe is "light" - at least that's what I ordered when they asked as I assume all the colour and sweetness comes from the other grains.

Looking forward to it - I've read the other posts on your recipe and know if I do it half right I should end up with a tasty brew

cheers

chris

A simple US Wheat beer, perhaps fermented with a kolsch yeast.

Recipe: US Wheat

Style: American Wheat Beer

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG

Estimated Color: 6.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 27.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 44.4 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 44.4 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 11.1 %

10.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 15.4 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

20.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 6 7.9 IBUs

10.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 4.1 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys this will be my second brew for the year. I'm looking foward to see how this one turns out.

Falcons Flight

Brew Method: Extract

Style Name: American Amber Ale

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 10 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 7 liters

Boil Gravity: 1.071

Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.050

Final Gravity: 1.009

ABV (standard): 5.28%

IBU (rager): 37.36

SRM (morey): 14.09

FERMENTABLES:

1.5 kg - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (81.5%)

100 g - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (5.4%)

STEEPING GRAINS:

100 g - American - Victory (5.4%)

40 g - German - Chocolate Wheat (2.2%)

100 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.4%)

HOPS:

10 g - Falconer's Flight, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 30.69

10 g - Falconer's Flight, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.67

10 g - Falconer's Flight, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min

20 g - Falconer's Flight, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Starter: No

Form: Dry

Attenuation (avg): 81%

Flocculation: Medium

Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C

Fermentation Temp: 18 C

Been a busy day here today. First cab off the rank was visit to HBS picked up another coopers English bitter kit. I like this one as nice and creamy. Next I kegged up 2 IPA 14 days in fermenter and an Amber Ale 7 days in. Reason I kegged the Amber was we have a few 30+ days headed my way next week or I would have left it till next Saturday. I then set 2 batches of the English bitter away. 1 @ 23l and 1 @ 22l, just standard kit with 1kg LDM. Currently they are sitting in the chest freezer waiting for good pitching temperature. Figure I will pitch at 22 deg on its way down to 18. Now just need to do the clean up but might leave that until tomorrow. Controlling freezer with inkbird itc-308, sensor tapped on side of one fermenter covered in a cut out of old stubbie holder.

Last night I tried to empty a keg of IPA, got absolutely hammered and still drinking it today. It's amazing how much is in the keg when you think it's nearly done.

Now you have decent temp controlled freezer your options are opening .

Going AG or partial mash isn't that hard once you have a few basics down pat , i went looking after my kit based brews didn't hit my targets and it turned into a steep learning curve , a good LHBS is a great thing to have

if they have a decent selection of malts , hops and yeast then hug them tight !

Ok so the plan is to do Kelsey's Ace of Spades Porter. My problem is my boiler is only 25l so I could try to scale it back to suit this. Question however, if I follow the ingredients exactly but with only 21-22l water I should get a much higher OG out of the mash? If so would it then be fair to say I could top up to 21l after the mash is done to get the same OG that Kelsey mentions?

If scale back is the consensus. What ratios should I use?

Guidance required.

Today will be first proper run for the urn , first crack at no chill too

Rye XPA

44.5 IBU

6.3 % ABV in bottle

Amount Fermentable

2.3 kg German - Vienna

1.5 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale

1 kg German - Rye

0.2 kg German - Acidulated Malt

0.5 kg German - Munich Light

0.2 kg Gladiator

10 g Columbus Pellet 16 Boil 60 min 18.25

15 g Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 0 min 5.16

15 g Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 0 min 6.01

15 g Falconer's Flight Pellet 10 Boil 0 min 6.01

15 g Galaxy Pellet 15.2 Boil 0 min 9.13

Still not 100% sure how to calculate my no chill extra IBUs with extra hot time

chill extra IBUs with extra hot time

Looks good.

I add my flameout hops as a 20 minute steep in Beersmith and it seems to work okay for me.

Recipe: Leftover Saison

Style: Saison

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.035 SG

Estimated Color: 10.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 36.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 1 58.3 %

0.70 kg Pale Malt' date=' Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 2 20.4 %

0.55 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 16.0 %

0.18 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 4 5.2 %

31.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %'] - Firs Hop 5 22.4 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

30.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 7 13.9 IBUs

27.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Archived