Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ben. smile

Enterprising Lager

Rather complicated malt bill. I assume though being you there is a purpose behind all that.

Looks to be a good beer though.

I almost always use the Briess Pilsner LME as a base for my lager type beers.

The dark wheat malt is the signature malt used in Dunkleweizens & I stumbled upon it more by accident quite a few years back. I've found it in combination with a bit of CaraPils' date=' provides a beautiful creamy head with very good retention & beading that holds the glass very well. It also has a bit of character too.

I'm just experimenting with the Supernova malt atm & haven't used it enough to really say anything noticeable about it yet. Regarded as a more nutty/less sweet crystal type malt, I thought it'd probably work well in a lager.

The original commercial Enterprise lager came across as a bit of a lager/ale hybrid hence the usage of some ale base malt grain in the grist.

The golden light extract was only because the LHBS didn't have any normal light extract made up when I picked up the ingredients. [img']tongue[/img]

I loved the Budvar yeast the only other time I ever used it as it leaves a lovely malt character in the beer & is pretty hop friendly as well. Seemed a good fit here. wink

Really looking forward to this one, & will likely be tinkering & re-brewing this until I achieve everything I want from the beer.

It's a fun little experiment away from my usual ale based brewing.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brew day - Brooktennial Pale Ale

4.25kg Maris Otter

500g Munich I

250g Caramunich I

10g Centennial @ 60 minutes

10g Brooklyn @ 5 minutes

15g Centennial @ 0 minutes

15g Brooklyn @ 0 minutes

15g Centennial - dry hop

15g Brooklyn - dry hop

23 litres

US-05

OG - 1052

IBU - 39 (no chilled)

Mash - 66C

I've never heard of Brooklyn Hairy...What's it like?

(Sudden urge to listen to "No Sleep till Brooklyn"....ahhhh...urge satisfied biggrin)

I have been singing that all day; my wife hates those hops now. But my song keeps morphing into Stutter Rap.

This is my first time brewing with it so I will give some feedback in a few weeks. Ben 10 has used them before so he may be able to give some insight.

Like most NZ hops, the hop has changed name to something harder to pronounce. They are now Moutere hops.

Good to see you around here again.

I've never heard of Brooklyn Hairy...What's it like?

(Sudden urge to listen to "No Sleep till Brooklyn"....ahhhh...urge satisfied biggrin)

I have been singing that all day; my wife hates those hops now. But my song keeps morphing into Stutter Rap.

This is my first time brewing with it so I will give some feedback in a few weeks. Ben 10 has used them before so he may be able to give some insight.

Like most NZ hops' date=' the hop has changed name to something harder to pronounce. They are now Moutere hops.

Good to see you around here again.[/quote']

Ahh Bro-mance in the air. sick

Why don't you two just get a room? tongue

Only kidding. biggrin

I hope you are well Muddy.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm hoping my rogers clone will be ready for kegging and secondary in the keg on Sunday. So that means it's time to start looking forward to the next brew day happy

I've got a bit of left over kit + LME in the fridge from last weekend, so I'm thinking about using it up to make a Big Island IPA derivative. Here's what I'm planning:

Real Ale Kit 1.7kg

Pale Ale Kit 0.4kg

Amber LME 0.1kg

Light DME 1.25kg

Dark DME 0.25kg

Medium Crystal 100g

20g Cascade @ 30 mins

20g Nelson Sauvin @ 10 mins

40g Cascade dry hopped

30g American Oak Chips

US-05

22L

Thoughts?

Low-cost Kiwi Pale Ale

(partial mash)

1 x Coopers (OS) Real Ale

2.20 kg Gladfield Vienna Malt

400 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt

300 g Sugar

10.00 g Wakatu (boil 20 min )

20.00 g Wakatu (flameout Steep 30 min)

2 x pkt Kit Yeast

(Expected OG=1.050, ABV=5.1%)

The challenge I set myself with this one was to try brew my favourite style (APA) as cheaply as possible without imposing any serious compromises.

The Coopers OS cans are the most economic way for me to get LME and today I paid $12. As the Real Ale kit was a favourite back when I was brewing kits and as it's already loaded with a bunch of specialty malts I've therefore limited the specialty grain additions to 400g of Toffee Malt. I could have probably even opted for less... or in fact none at all and just used more Vienna base malt.

This can is quite bitter already too so the hop additions are mainly there for a bit of fresh hop aroma and flavour, targeting 20 mins for max flavour and a flame-out steep for optimal aroma. Wakatu are one of the cheapest hop varieties here @ $4.90/100g

I'm accumulating kit yeast pkts so two of those for this one, cost=$0 !

Total Grain cost = $11.10

Coopers OS can = $12.00

Wakatu Hops = $1.50

Sugar (incl. priming) = $1.26

1 x Whirlfloc = $0.59

A mere $26.50 for what I hope will be a very pleasant 23 litres of Kiwi Pale Ale cool

i already had a few beers when i started this and the recipe was fairly off the cuff, but this should work out as a decent munich dunkel style lager. i hope:

1.4kg pilsner

1kg munich

120g caramalt

120g black malt

20g saaz + hallertau mf mix @ mash

30g saaz + hallertau mf mix @ 60

W34/70 @ 13.5c

wort's chilling now. i'll figure out the og + volume soon enough...

Hopefully you only added 400g and not 400kg as written there tonguebiggrin

I still have to get to CB to buy some more Brewbrite before I do my next brew day, which will be a Bo Pils. This time I'm going to chuck it into a 20L cube since the massive amount of hops used in these batches soaks up a fair bit of wort and I often end up with less than the intended 25L anyway. I'll brew the batch as a 25L one though, to ensure none of the kettle trub gets in the cube.

I'm not sure how I'm going to work out the efficiency accurately though since the recipe is based on 25L and I'm only gonna get about 21L into the fermenter... maybe increase the trub loss in Beersmith for that one batch and see what happens. I'll have a play but as long as the OG and bitterness are where I want them then it'll still produce the same beer anyway.

Cheers

Kelsey

Not sure mate, I'll have to have a look in there and see. It doesn't really worry me if the efficiency is down though, having brewed the recipe numerous times I know it will turn out as intended anyway because the reduced efficiency number will be from reduced volume rather than not hitting the intended OG. I can live with that until the Saaz I order is of a higher AA%. 1.3 on this lot w00tlol

I'm not sure how I'm going to work out the efficiency accurately though since the recipe is based on 25L and I'm only gonna get about 21L into the fermenter... maybe increase the trub loss in Beersmith for that one batch and see what happens. I'll have a play but as long as the OG and bitterness are where I want them then it'll still produce the same beer anyway.

Hey Kelsey' date='

This is where I don't like the default setup in Beersmith, where your efficiency input takes into account trub loss. Makes it hard to know what to plug into that efficiency field in this situation. Which to me is madness because while you will lose more wort volume, you won't be losing any gravity points in the remainder, so your extract efficiency is the same.

There is a solution however - convert your previous 25l batch to where the efficiency input field is your extract efficiency as at the end of the boil rather than taking into account kettle to fermenter loss. After changing this in my setup, I wouldn't use Beersmith any other way. It makes things much more translatable and predictable.

To do this, set the trub loss to zero and increase the batch size to your actual end of boil volume for that batch (eg 27 litres). Input your pre-boil and post-boil volumes from your records of the brew day and change the input efficiency number to match the calculated end of boil efficiency number on the second tab. The predicted OG should then match your observed OG. That gives you a much more useful (read translatable) number of how efficiently you got sugar out of the grain in at the end of the boil.

This efficiency number will be the same for your next batch, the only adjustment you need to make is the batch size to allow for the extra wort loss. Set it to your desired end of boil volume, including the volume you don't want to transfer to the fermenter (so instead of say 27 litres for the first batch that went into a 25 litre cube, 24 litres for this batch that you want to put into a 20 litre cube), and up the grain bill until Beersmith predicts the OG you are after.

There you go, headache solved and no unexpected surprises on brew day [img']happy[/img]

Cheers,

John

Low-cost Kiwi Pale Ale

(partial mash)

1 x Coopers (OS) Real Ale

2.20 kg Gladfield Vienna Malt

400 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt

300 g Sugar

10.00 g Wakatu (boil 20 min )

20.00 g Wakatu (flameout Steep 30 min)

2 x pkt Kit Yeast

(Expected OG=1.050' date=' ABV=5.1%)

[/quote']

That sounds like more of a headache lol. I'm not used to using those types of figures so I'll just brew it like a 25 litre batch and know it will turn out as intended and take a hit on the volume a bit. I do take account of the mash efficiency as well as the overall efficiency, and it's always pretty much the same, so at least I know I'll end up where I want to be.

The reason I use the overall efficiency to design recipes is because generally everything is consistent and predictable in regard to losses on my system, as I pretty much always brew similar strength ABV beers with similar levels of hopping. This particular recipe contains 390g of Saaz because of the stupid low AA%... normally I only use about 80g if that in a hop boil. Pilsners brewed with the last order of Saaz used about 150g because its AA% was higher, so this is rather an odd occurrence.

At the end of the day if I brew the recipe as it's always been done in relation to water volume and grain weight, it doesn't matter what efficiency or batch size figures I use in Beersmith because the OG and bitterness etc. are gonna be where I want them anyway. I'll just be throwing away a litre or two extra wort, which isn't a major concern to me for a single batch.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Brew Dudes

Brew Day Yesterday another Session Ale. This time I've amped up the bitterness and added 500g of Rye, Risession Ale - its the risession that we have to have.

Last minute decision to repatch US05 from the trub as I realised I didn't have any yeast, good job I kegged after I started brewing.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Team brewday yesterday with some friends and some shiny shiny bling

44 L batch of something based on Smurtos GA that we made up as we went along

Brooklyn for bittering

Cascade , amarillo and citra for flavour @20

Cascade , amarillo and mosiac aroma @10

Citra at whirlpool

to total 42 IBU

Few firsts in that brewday for me , never used a 3V system nor a plate chiller but we made beer and that's the main thing

now i just have to get myself some of these SS conicals !

If i have time after work i'll get another Coopers pale ale clone into the cube

Bottled my first batch in over three years yesterday, standard Coopers Lager + BE1 that comes with the kit (however I stupidly overfilled it to approx. 26 litres and my rough calcs. put the ABV at around 2%!!)

Currently "brewing" a starter from six stubbies of CPA, hoping to get another brew down tomorrow night to start building some stock.

Alright boys - got a couple on the go at the mo and keen to get thoughts on recipe build and hop combos from those with a few more notches on the old belts...

ESB - was excited to try Golden Promise and the Oats I had heard would add a nice roundness to the mouthfeel... Had heard Magnum a good all purpose bittering hop and thought the combo of Citra and EKG could be interesting.

2kg Maris Otter

1kg Golden Promise

1kg Vienna

0.5kg Oats

0.5kg Melanoidin

20g Magnum for 60

20g EKG for 30

10g Citra for 10

Safale S-04

OG 1.042

Still in primary

IPA - this one was a little bit fueled by some Belgian Tripel and Dark Saisons from Boatrocker, so the brewday was a little sloppy... Got a little scorch on the element... about 10% coverage

3kg Pale Malt

3kg Maris Otter

0.6kg Crystal Malt

0.4kg Melanoidin

30g Mosaic (FWH) for 60

30g Mosaic for 20

10g Columbus for 20

10g Citra for 10

10g Citra dry hop for 5 days

WLP002 English Ale

OG - 1.040

SG - 1.007

Tasting during the sampling did reveal a bit of astringency to the hops... so do I just keep in the bottle conditioning for longer?

Thanks for reading

Nath

I'm guessing the ESB won't taste exactly like a true ESB with the Citra addition even at only 10g but it should still be a nice brew. ESBs contain a percentage of medium or dark crystal malt as well and often times an addition of raw sugar. Next time I'd suggest ditching the melanoidin malt, and probably the Vienna malt too; make it simple at 4kg MO and 300g dark crystal, maybe 250g raw sugar added late in the boil if you're so inclined but it's not necessary.

IPA needs more late hops and way more dry hops and I'd probably ditch the melanoidin there too, and drop the crystal to about 300-400g. I'm curious as to how you got a lower OG from more grains.. what size batches are these?

....... I'm curious as to how you got a lower OG from more grains.. what size batches are these?

......this one was a little bit fueled by some Belgian Tripel and Dark Saisons from Boatrocker' date=' so the brewday was a little sloppy[/quote']

Archived