Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey gang, not brew day today but I brewed this up on Sunday and I’m pretty excited about it. It’s a Panhead Supercharger APA clone based off a recipe provided directly from the brewers themselves (apparently).

5.4 kg Gladfield American Ale

300g Gladfield Toffee

240g Gladfield RedBack

6g Pacific Jade at 60 min

30g Amarillo at 10 min

30g Simcoe at 10 min

20g Centennial at 10 min

30g Amarillo at whirlpool

30g Simcoe at whirlpool

20g Centennial at whirlpool

60g Citra dry hop

20g Simcoe dry hop

WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast (1lt starter)

OG: 1.053 / BIAB – No chill

I haven’t used this much hops in a brew since ….ever! Really looking forward to it.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

20 litre batch just for starter wort

will split to 2 Fv at 10 l each to build up enough 1272 and 1469 for a few batches each for a friend and i , should save quite a few dollars all up

1.37 kg BB pils

1.87 kg BB wheat

.35 kg LDM

2 hour mash at 62 C to ensure full conversion of old malt and high fermentability

Got a freezer full of hops but they're staying there today

Brew day! happy

A simple pale ale. Trying one with no crystal malt this time.

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Ale Malt grain 750gms

Munich Malt grain 400gms

Aromatic Malt grain 175gms

Dark Wheat Malt grain 100gms

CaraPils grain 200gms

Wakatu 20gms @ 30mins

Cascade 30gms @ 20mins

Wakatu 20gms hop tea

Cascade 20gms hop tea

Amarillo 20gms hop tea

Amarillo 30gms dry hopped

Stored US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.3%

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey gang' date=' not brew day today but I brewed this up on Sunday and I’m pretty excited about it. It’s a Panhead Supercharger APA clone based off a recipe provided directly from the brewers themselves (apparently).

5.4 kg Gladfield American Ale

300g Gladfield Toffee

240g Gladfield RedBack

6g Pacific Jade at 60 min

30g Amarillo at 10 min

30g Simcoe at 10 min

20g Centennial at 10 min

30g Amarillo at whirlpool

30g Simcoe at whirlpool

20g Centennial at whirlpool

60g Citra dry hop

20g Simcoe dry hop

WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast (1lt starter)

OG: 1.053 / BIAB – No chill

I haven’t used this much hops in a brew since ….ever! Really looking forward to it.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

[/quote']

If it resembles Panhead Supercharger that will be worth all the hop jiggery-pokery... it's a great brew.

I just used Gladfield American for the first time with a little crystal and acidulated, and an Amarillo/Cascade hop schedule, fermented with the Cali. Promising thus far so would be keen on how you go mate.

Just put down my first ever lager. I don't usually drink lagers, but i had a Williams Warn American Lager kit to use, so i thought i would brew it now so i can age it for my work breakup later on in the year. Most of the guys at work drink lagers, and think that my ales are too bitter! This brew should suit their tastes a little better. The recipe is as follows.

1 Williams Warn American Lager kit

1 kg DME

*2 packets of Saflager S-23 (made into a 2.5 litre starter on my DIY stir plate and 3000ml Erlenmeyer flask)

23 litres

13 IBU

OG 1.040

*I used 2 packets because the kit came with one packet, but it was out of date by about a year! So i thought that i better buy a fresh pack also

Pitched yeast at 16°C and set temp controller to 10.5°C. Will ferment low for about 5 days then let it free rise to about 18°C to finish it off. I wasn't going to cold crash but if someone can convince me other wise, i might consider it

Put down a version of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale

3.5kg Maris Otter

1.1kg Wheat

0.9kg Munich

0.25kg Caramunich

38g Amarillo at 60min

25g Amarillo whirlpool

US-05

Got just over 23L into fermenter.

Also forgot to put in the whifloc tablet.

Pre boil SG 1.050, forgot to take post boil before cubing, but got 1.056 when put in the fermenter today.

Hopfully it tastes yummy. This is my 3rd AG, but first time using multiple grans, first 2 were SMaSH's.

Put down a version of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale

3.5kg Maris Otter

1.1kg Wheat

0.9kg Munich

0.25kg Caramunich

38g Amarillo at 60min

25g Amarillo whirlpool

US-05

Got just over 23L into fermenter.

Also forgot to put in the whifloc tablet.

Pre boil SG 1.050' date=' forgot to take post boil before cubing, but got 1.056 when put in the fermenter today.

Hopfully it tastes yummy. This is my 3rd AG, but first time using multiple grans, first 2 were SMaSH's.[/quote']

Sitting here drinking a Dr Smurto as I type. Mate of mine has a heap of dried Saaz hops flowers, how do you reckon they would go as a substitute?

Brew day! happy

Ale Malt grain 750gms

Munich Malt grain 400gms

CaraPils grain 200gms

Wakatu 20gms @ 30mins

Cascade 30gms @ 20mins

Wakatu 20gms hop tea

Cascade 20gms hop tea

Amarillo 20gms hop tea

Stored US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

Looks like it will be very tasty Lusty, but with all due respect I wouldn't call this a simple pale ale recipe, lest it be misleading for newer brewers.

For a simple crystal-less pale ale partial mash recipe you might use the Coopers LME, the ale malt and and munich malt (or vienna malt, personal preference), a dose of hops @ 30 minutes, flameout and dry hop with a single, or a blend of two hop varieties.

I would agree that it is a relatively simple hop schedule compared with some of your other batches though happy ... good luck with the fermentation!

Cheers,

John

Sitting here drinking a Dr Smurto as I type. Mate of mine has a heap of dried Saaz hops flowers' date=' how do you reckon they would go as a substitute?

[/quote']Saaz is nothing like Amarillo. Would it work? Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same beer by a long way. Saaz is the classic pilsner hop and is one of my favourites but it wouldn't replace a fruity hop like Amarillo.

Brew day! happy

Ale Malt grain 750gms

Munich Malt grain 400gms

CaraPils grain 200gms

Wakatu 20gms @ 30mins

Cascade 30gms @ 20mins

Wakatu 20gms hop tea

Cascade 20gms hop tea

Amarillo 20gms hop tea

Stored US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

Looks like it will be very tasty Lusty, but with all due respect I wouldn't call this a simple pale ale recipe, lest it be misleading for newer brewers.

For a simple crystal-less pale ale partial mash recipe you might use the Coopers LME, the ale malt and and munich malt (or vienna malt, personal preference), a dose of hops @ 30 minutes, flameout and dry hop with a single, or a blend of two hop varieties.

I would agree that it is a relatively simple hop schedule compared with some of your other batches though happy ... good luck with the fermentation!

Cheers,

John

Haha! You're absolutely right John. lol It's terrible how you do things for so long that they become second nature, & don't give it much thought when relaying it to others. innocent

3rd generation yeast slurry & some Aromatic malt that has been sitting on a shelf for quite some time, so still a few nerves about the brew. On the positive side, it did get away fast on the ferment, & the aromas being belched from it are certainly positive ones. happy

The hop schedule is definitely a little on the tame side for me though. tongue

Nice to see you posting a bit more of late. smile

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Sitting here drinking a Dr Smurto as I type. Mate of mine has a heap of dried Saaz hops flowers' date=' how do you reckon they would go as a substitute?

[/quote']Saaz is nothing like Amarillo. Would it work? Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same beer by a long way. Saaz is the classic pilsner hop and is one of my favourites but it wouldn't replace a fruity hop like Amarillo.

Thanks, will save them something more suitable

Busy brewing weekend

Friday night got a E IPA batch done on a grainfather and a triple batch Choc rye stout with some friends ...i do love his glycol chiller for chilling 60 l down to 21 C in under an hour .

Heating water now for Ottos Red ale and plan on getting another double brew day done with a different APA as follows

HOME BREW RECIPE:

Title: Little twist APA

Brew Method: All Grain

Style Name: American Pale Ale

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 24 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 27 liters

Boil Gravity: 1.053

Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.059

Final Gravity: 1.014

ABV (standard): 5.91%

IBU (tinseth): 37.17

SRM (ebcmorey): 10.86

FERMENTABLES:

4 kg - Gladfields Ale malt (68.4%)

1.1 kg - German - Munich Light (18.8%)

0.3 kg - JWM Wheat (5.1%)

0.3 kg - German - Carapils (5.1%)

0.15 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (2.6%)

HOPS:

10 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 12.69

20 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.21

20 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.96

20 g - Topaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.1, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 11.3

25 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Boil for 0 min

25 g - Topaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.1, Use: Boil for 0 min

Will dry hop if and as needed

MASH GUIDELINES:

1) Infusion, Temp: 66 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 30 L

2) Temperature, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min, mash out

Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

0.5 each - whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:

Wyeast - American Ale II 1272

Starter: Yes

Ferment @ 18

Haha! You're absolutely right John. lol It's terrible how you do things for so long that they become second nature' date=' & don't give it much thought when relaying it to others. [img']innocent[/img]

3rd generation yeast slurry & some Aromatic malt that has been sitting on a shelf for quite some time, so still a few nerves about the brew. On the positive side, it did get away fast on the ferment, & the aromas being belched from it are certainly positive ones. happy

The hop schedule is definitely a little on the tame side for me though. tongue

Nice to see you posting a bit more of late. smile

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty, I bet the malt will be fine (based on purely anecdotal evidence of tasty beers made from grain cracked up to 2 years earlier on one of Denny & Drew's Experimental Brewing podcast episodes). You wouldn't say it's ideal, but not a huge factor in the scheme of things.

Sounds like you have some happy yeast there ... for me I find the 3rd generation (second re-pitch) is where the clarity of flavour contributed by the yeast starts to become more confidently expressed (a load of rubbish perhaps, but my experience with every strain that I have re-pitched). In contrast to your fast start, my current lager took a few days to show signs of activity, but fermented well after that and dropped to 1.012 fairly quickly. Since this batch was 21 litlres of mid-40s OG wort I didn't do a starter, just trusted the Wyeast guide on the pack and pitched direct (after activating a few hours earlier). I had a bit of sulphur early on, but that has all dissipated now.

From my gravity sample tasting the Summer hops have contributed an interesting and promising flavour, so I'm looking forward to how the present in the final beer.

Cheers,

John

My spin on a pale Ale

1.7kg TC Bootmaker Pale Ale tin

1.5kg LDME

200gr Caramunich 67 deg steep 30 mins

15gr Galaxy Steep 10 mins

11.5gr US05 re hydrated

25gr Cascade Dry hop

25gr Ella Dry Hop

Volume 24lts

OG 1048

Was thinking about throwing some Mosaic in the dry hop as well but haven't made up my mind.

Hey Lusty' date=' I bet the malt will be fine (based on purely anecdotal evidence of tasty beers made from grain cracked up to 2 years earlier on one of Denny & Drew's Experimental Brewing podcast episodes). You wouldn't say it's ideal, but not a huge factor in the scheme of things.[/quote']

I did a hydro test yesterday & it's finished @ 1.010. Smelled good so no apparent harm from the older malt. 175gms wasn't a lot anyways. Dry hop went in, & will begin cold crashing in a day or two, in readiness for kegging.

Sounds like you have some happy yeast there ... for me I find the 3rd generation (second re-pitch) is where the clarity of flavour contributed by the yeast starts to become more confidently expressed (a load of rubbish perhaps' date=' but my experience with every strain that I have re-pitched).[/quote']

Interesting. I admit I don't do a lot of multiple re-pitching through sheer paranoia of a failed ferment, but generally do it at least once with the liquid yeasts, just to get my money's worth out of them.

In contrast to your fast start' date=' my current lager took a few days to show signs of activity, but fermented well after that and dropped to 1.012 fairly quickly. Since this batch was 21 litlres of mid-40s OG wort I didn't do a starter, just trusted the Wyeast guide on the pack and pitched direct (after activating a few hours earlier). I had a bit of sulphur early on, but that has all dissipated now.[/quote']Lager brews generally don't throw huge krausens & ferment slower due to lower ferment temps, so it's often not as obvious when they are actually up & going. The growth phase may have contributed to the slower start too depending on your pitching rate.
From my gravity sample tasting the Summer hops have contributed an interesting and promising flavour' date=' so I'm looking forward to how the present in the final beer.

[/quote']I must be the only one who didn't like this hop. I did a single hop brew with it a couple of years ago & didn't like it very much at all. Ohh well.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Somehow between brewing a ginger saison and a couple of stouts for winter I've neglected my pale ale stocks. I also have some random left over grains to use up, so I'm throwing it all together and will hopefully end up with something drinkable wink The LHBS here is canberra was basically sold out of liquid yeast (as per usual, or maybe its just my poor timing?) so I'm going with the old US-05

Residual's Pale Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %

Bitterness: 37.7 IBUs

Est Color: 16.7 EBC

4.00 kg Maris Otter

0.30 kg Carapils

0.23 kg Victory Malt

0.15 kg Caramalt

0.15 kg Medium Crystal

15.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] @60.0

10.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] @30.0

10.00 g Citra [13.20 %] @15.0

10.00 g Galaxy [13.60 %] @15.0

10.00 g Citra [13.20 %] @Whirlpool

10.00 g Galaxy [13.60 %] @Whirlpool 0.0

1.0 pkg US-05

30.00 g Citra [13.20 %] - Dry Hop

30.00 g Galaxy [13.60 %] - Dry Hop

Hi Lusty,

I was reading a study the other night about yeast performance improving as it goes through more generations, I'll try and find it again tonight when I get home. I think you're being paranoid for no reason at all, and in fact you should be expecting better performance through the generations, not worse. wink

My experience goes along with it too. I've put yeast through much more than 3 generations, such as the recently retired 2001 strain that I re-used for 2 years straight, and never had any problems with stalled fermentations. I have also noticed improved sedimentation the more generations they go through, which is pleasing as well.

Cheers

Kelsey

A first time trial: half-batch AG Pale Ale:

1.6kg Gladfield American Ale Malt

1.0kg Gladfield Munich Malt

20g Waimea - Boil 30 min

25g NZ Golding - 30 min steep

25g Taiheke - dry hop

10g Gypsum

1 pkt Kit Ale/Lager yeast

OG=1.052 / IBU-37.5 / ABV=5.2% / EBC=12

cool