15g Brooklyn - dry hop

23 litres

US-05

OG - 1052

IBU - 39 (no chilled)

Mash - 66C

First time around it was one of the best beers I had ever made love

Here's hoping it wasn't a fluke.

Hey Hairy, that one looks yummy. i haven't yet tried a beer with Brooklyn in it, but am keen to work my way through the NZ hops one-by-one. Hearing good things about a few of the hops and I absolutely love Gladfield malts. Finally, NZ is good for something! lol

That Brooklyn hop got renamed to Moutere right? Unfortunately Moutennial doesn't have the same ring to it!

Jools

Nelson Supernova - Pale Ale

(23l Partial Mash - 60 mins, pH=5.4)

1 x Coopers APA Can (36.6%)

2.3kg GF American Ale Malt (49.5%)

300g GF Supernova Malt (6.5%)

350g Sugar (7.5%)

5g Gypsum

20g Waimea (20 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (5 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (hop stand)

Coopers Ale/Lager yeast surry

Dry hop? - yet undecided... unsure Think I might take the SNPA approach on this one.

| OG=1.050 | IBU=42 | EBC=15 | ABV=5.2% |

Making the following today with some big Burton style mineral additions...

Recipe: SimBus Pale

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.057 SG

Estimated Color: 11.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 56.1 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

16.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 81.8 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 18.2 %

10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - First Wo Hop 6 15.5 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

50.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - Steep/Wh Hop 8 21.3 IBUs

50.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 9 19.4 IBUs

50.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] - Dry Hop Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

50.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toucan Stout

Coopers Stout

Coopers Dark Ale

1kg Dex

650g LDM

Both yeasts in 1 litre starter

Pitched at 18.5°C' date=' fermenting at 19.5°C

22 litres

OG - 1.075

FG - ?

IBU - 75ish

ABV - ?[/quote']

This has been in the FV for about 9 days now, and i think its pretty much done. Hydrometer is sitting at 1.016. So final ABV will be around 8.2% in the bottle. Tastes really really good, I cant wait to get stuck into a few of these in about 6 months!

I've been on a bit of a hiatus from brewing lately, at least in terms of doing brew days, so I don't really have any recipes or anything to post here at this point in time. I have still been fermenting the cubes I brewed around Easter though, with the last of those going in last Friday.

It's been a bit busier than usual on the weekends sorting out shit for moving house etc. which is why I haven't been able to sneak even one brew day in (a benefit of no-chilling coming to the fore right there), so I'm gonna go buy a FWK from Craftbrewer on Thursday of Bo Pils. This batch combined with the 2 weeks or so left until the SNPA is kegged gives me 6 weekends in which to do the red ale batch I have planned, either here or in the new place.

I'm hoping to only have minimal disruption to the fermentation schedule in order to keep up production, so if the brew fridge is busy when we do move all our stuff then it will remain here until whatever batch in it at the time is kegged, and be moved across after that. The yeast starter for the following batch won't be made up until everything is in the new place, so there will be a few days gap but nothing drastic. The keg fridge and other full and empty kegs will be moved on the moving day but I will leave the CO2 cylinder and reg behind for that aforementioned batch, and cart it all across with the brew fridge.

I have missed the brewing process a bit as brew days are something I enjoy a lot, and I am looking forward to the next brew day which hopefully will be soon, as well as doing brew days more regularly once the move is complete rather than doing a heap at once every now and then. In any event, I'm certainly not giving up brewing. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

I'm hoping to only have minimal disruption to the fermentation schedule in order to keep up production' date=' so if the brew fridge is busy when we do move all our stuff then it will remain here until whatever batch in it at the time is kegged, and be moved across after that. The yeast starter for the following batch won't be made up until everything is in the new place, so there will be a few days gap but nothing drastic. The keg fridge and other full and empty kegs will be moved on the moving day but I will leave the CO2 cylinder and reg behind for that aforementioned batch, and cart it all across with the brew fridge.[/quote']

Haha does she know what she's in for? With a fermenting fridge, a keg fridge and a few extra kegs coming along in the move?

I brewed up my third version of my new-world pilsner experimentation last night, this time with Centennial. Same ingredients and hopping rate as the others (an 86 Days Pilsner kit + 1.5kg light LME, 45g Centennial @flameout and a 45g Centennial dry hop to come). I have made a lager with Centennial once before, but that was at slightly lower hopping rates (~1.5g/l vs ~2g/l) and with 100% Best Malz Red-X as the base malt. That batch needed a bit higher hopping and a lot less Munich malt-esque flavour.

Next up I think I had better use up my Macho Macchiato stout kit rather than doing a small no-sparge all-grain batch (since my wife is complaining about the ingredients overflowing from my brew rack). Because the average temps are probably just still too cold for Nottingham where my fermenter is, in my Cool Brewing bag in the sunroom, I'll keep my Munich Lager pitch going instead and see how that turns out. As an aside, my Cool Brewing bag does a great job of moderating ambient temperature swings. That room warms up with the sun during the day, then gets pretty cold at night, but my last batch stayed rock solid at 13° C.

Cheers,

John

Yes she does lol, but we don't have a whole lot of stuff anyway so it shouldn't be much of a problem... if it doesn't fit then we'll just drop off whatever's in the truck and come back and get it. Not moving a long distance away which helps too. The fermentation fridge and spare kegs and other brewing equipment will live in the garage, similar to how I have things set up here at the moment, so it won't really get in the way. I'm hoping to be able to put the keg fridge out on a deck that we'd use for when friends come over, but I guess it depends on the house. In any case, she knows it's all coming with me and has no problem with it, especially considering she does drink the beers as well cool

Cheers

Kelsey

Belated brew day.

I had planned to do a partial/extract IPA but I just didn't feel like spending 4-5 hours to create the wort today. So I went to my LHBS & bought the Coopers IPA kit. I've been meaning to try the newer version for sometime anyway, so now was a perfect opportunity. happy

A grain steep with some additional hopping should make for a very enjoyable IPA once all is said & done.

Thomas Coopers IPA kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 1.5kg

Gladfield Supernova malt grain 200gms (steeped for 30mins)

Dextrose 300gms

Riwaka 20gms (steeped for 30mins)

Vic Secret 20gms (steeped for 30mins)

Riwaka 20gms dry hopped

Vic Secret 20gms dry hopped

Mandarina Bavaria 20gms dry hopped

Fortnight 20gms dry hopped

Rehydrated US-05 yeast + kit yeast

Brewed to 21 litres.

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.062

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = 19.8

IBU = 57.5

Kegged ABV = 6.2%

Should make a nice drop. While I was at the LHBS, I was brought out some fresh Enigma hops to have a whiff of. Wow! Closest thing I've smelled to Nelson Sauvin hops, but with a notable resiny undertone. I promptly bought some of that! Can't wait to get it in a brew! Yum Yum! love

Sorry I'm rambling. As you were. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Just for something different i had a day off work , plenty of housework i could have done but decided to brew instead .

received the ingredients from SABC meeting last month as a pilot brew ...wish i'd paid more attention as i would have skipped it and brewed something easy

5 kg Gladfields Pils malt

100 g Pacifica hops

1 x Gigayeast norcal ale #1

was set targets of

OG 1.048-52

IBU 25-40

90 min boil

mash 66-67 C

After umming and ahhing i decided i'd use Bo-Pils as a style guideline but with the clean ale yeast provided so decided on a double decoction mash on a modified Hochkurz schedule .

Beat my target OG by several points , decoction added some extra colour and hopefully decent head retention so results in a few weeks once i have it on tap

John showed me the same hops Lusty , smell very interesting so look forward to hearing how they go for you

Looking forward to hearing what you think of Enigma.
John showed me the same hops Lusty ' date=' smell very interesting so look forward to hearing how they go for you [/quote']

He's a good lad John. smile He knows I love hops & lately everytime I go in he's been throwing open a bag or two of some of the new varieties for me to smell. I buy a bag everytime! pinchedlol For a guy who doesn't stockpile hops & uses them up pretty quickly, I reckon I've got over a kilo of hops in my fridge atm of about 10 different varieties thanks to John! tonguelol

I might conjure up a brew next week to use some in. It was quite impressive on the nose I thought. cool

Good luck with the gigayeast & the pilot brew Pirate.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's cold outside. July is pretty much the only month I can get a good cold ambient fermentation happening so thought I'd brew a pilsner today. As usual, a simple partial-mash recipe:

Pious Pilsner

1 x Coopers OS lager can (36.6%)

2.2kg GF Pilsner Malt (47.3%)

400g GF Toffee Malt (8.6%)

350g Sugar (7.5%)

5g Gypsum

10g Waimea (15mins)

25 Nelson Sauvin (5 mins)

2 x Pkt MJ M54 California Lager Yeast

| OG=1.049 | IBU=36 | EBC=8.4 |ABV=5.2% |

I'm taking a bit of a punt on this yeast. Thought it's apparently been developed specifically for warmer lager fermentations (18-20º - Californian Common) I'm interested to see how it does a little cooler.... if it in fact actually still even ferments when cold?? unsure

Was going to be a pale but I found some caraaroma

Recipe: I don't know

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Amber Ale

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 30.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 76.2 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 19.0 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 3.8 %

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.0 %

20.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 5 30.3 IBUs

70.00 g Hull Melon [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 6 11.6 IBUs

40.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 7 16.7 IBUs

50.00 g Hull Melon [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is in the kettle now as I write. This is the first time I've used Riwaka so its a single hop recipe. Only late addition hopping so I hope I get enough bittering effect. I haven't decided on the dry hop addition as yet. Immediate chill at flameout. RO water.

Recipe: Riwaka Rye Immediate Chill

Brewer: Morrie

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.045 SG

Estimated Color: 12.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

5.80 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)

4.30 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4)

2.90 g Calcium Chloride

3.57 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter 65.7 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) 18.4 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Gladfield) 9.2 %

0.25 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) 4.6 %

0.11 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) 2.0 %

0.01 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) 0.2 %

75.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min 22.8 IBUs

4.00 g BrewBrite (Boil 10.0 mins)

75.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min 13.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg GF All American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast

Mash Schedule: 66 degrees

I'm taking a bit of a punt on this yeast. Thought it's apparently been developed specifically for warmer lager fermentations (18-20º - Californian Common) I'm interested to see how it does a little cooler.... if it in fact actually still even ferments when cold?? unsure

It ferments well warm.

I have been using it in Ambers at 19°c

It ferments well warm.

I have been using it in Ambers at 19°c

It's a slow starter! 18 hours later and.... nothing... unsure

Lager yeast starting slow is pretty normal in my experience. Pitching and fermenting cold around 10 degrees' date=' I often don't see any visible signs of action for 40+ hours. They still manage to rip through it in under 10 days total though.[/quote']Fair enough! Though it's now 20hrs I'll try be patient. I have this one sitting 'warm' in lager yeast terms at 16º but for this particular yeast that might be a bit on the cool side... unsure

I guess I'm just used to the very short lag times I usually experience with pitching Coopers Ale/Lager slurry. Last time I used a dry lager strain was a year ago!

Yeah, I haven't got any experience with that particular strain so I don't know whether normal lager temps are too cold for it or not.

I'm always pitching large starters as well, which theoretically should see it start quicker, but I think the added oxygen at pitching time slows it down as the yeast use this all up first. This isn't a bad thing, just the way it works.

I try to put the cube into the brew fridge to cool it to ferment temps before pitching but this is not always possible if the 5L flask is in there crash chilling, so they can be pitched at anything up to low 20s. I do start bringing them down immediately though, which probably also slows them down.

The good thing is though that I've never had a bad batch as a result of this extended lag time, and while it did concern me a little the first couple of times, now I don't worry about it at all because it's just the way those yeasts are I guess. Other lager strains might not be as slow, but I don't try many because they last so long re-using them.

Cheers

Kelsey

Yeah' date=' I haven't got any experience with that particular strain so I don't know whether normal lager temps are too cold for it or not. [/quote']Not much info out there about it either, which I think may be generally true for most of the MJ strains...

Archived