Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

Got a tentative recipe in formulation for my home grown Cascade flowers. Usual pale ale malt bill, but I'll have to go and get the hops from the freezer at the olds and see how much of them I actually have before I do the final recipe. I've got three 40g additions at 20 mins, 10 mins and flameout respectively, but it's the early addition that may need some help from another hop. If there aren't enough flowers I might have to upset Lusty and use a bit of Magnum early in the boil to top up the bitterness tongue.

Also going to make a big cylinder out of 3 or 4mm mesh to hold the flowers during the boil, because the old grain bag trick resulted in a shithouse boil off rate. Either that or attach a small mesh cover to the ball valve outlet inside the urn to stop the flowers blocking it up.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple beer for my Dad.

He mainly drinks light to midstrength beer but occasionally likes to sneak a few German lagers into the back fridge when Mum isn't looking. tonguelol

So it was a pretty easy choice what to brew him really.

Coopers European Lager kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Maltodextrin 250gms

Tettnanger 12gms (hop tea)

2 x lager kit yeast (14gms)

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 12°C

OG = approx. 1.035

FG = approx. 1.011

EBC = 6.2

Bottled ABV = 3.5%

I've never brewed the Euro kit before, nor have I used the Tettnanger hop. Should be interesting. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

I just made Neill's Centenillro Ale ( doubt I spelled that right...me fail english! That unpossible!).

2kg light dry malt extract

500g Amber dry malt extract

500g of dextrose

13g of centennial at 30

40g of amarillo at 20 and 10

Rehydrated Nottingham and tossed in at 19c. OG=1.050.

I used dry malt because that is what I had on hand, the amber because I needed 2.4kg of light dry malt and only had 2kg, so I added 500g of Amber. I boiled the 500g of amber in 5l of water and followed the recipes original hop schedule to get it to around 32.3ibus with the hops I used.

Cheers,

Norris

Thanks Scottie. I have read a lot about it and had to give it a go. My logic was simple, hardly anyone has messed up this beer, I shouldn't either. I was going to mess with the hop schedule, then I came to my senses. With my current skill set that would've been like telling a world famous chef how to cook, coming from a Maccas cook.

Brewing my local swap beer

pre boil gravity is a bit higher than expected but i'll just add more hops !

50 % golden promise

20 % Rye

20 % vienna

4 % carabohemian

4% carapils

2 % acidulated

FWH with magnum for 15 IBU

45 IBU @ 15 using Citra , Centennial and Mosiac

15 IBU using same @ 5

2.5 g /l each at whirlpool and dry

so lucky i bought a fresh half kilo yesterday

got a 2.9 l starter of 1272 making a mess on stirplate already after 12 hours so will pitch accordingly and build starter up again.

Should be a cracker of a beer but since Lusty isn't attending swap and i used Magnum he won't get any tongue

Hey guys! I haven't been brewing much this year - super busy at work and with baby number 2 there's not much time for all-grain batches. Yesterday I bottled a HomeBrand tin that I threw some hops into, fermented and "lagered" over the course of, err... five weeks. Yeah, it's a bit like that. But this morning I took advantage of Father's day lenience to order a bill and the water's rising to strike temp now biggrin I guess I'm going for some kind of black lager:

approx 10L batch:

2kg Pilsner

200g Munich

400g Dark Munich

50g Carafa Special III

15g Spalt @ 60

15g Spalt @ 5

M76 @ 11c

I've never used Spalt before but we'll see how she goes. It's also going to be drier than my usual dark lagers with no crystal malts. But I reckon I'll get beer out of it.

Beers are good.

Both of those look great but I'd prefer Marks!

Recipe: Aussie IPA

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 9.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 80.0 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 16.0 %

0.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 3 4.0 %

25.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 4 20.5 IBUs

50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 7.5 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 20.4 IBUs

50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 7 15.7 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

White Labs MELBOURNE ALE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: Aussie IPA

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Amber Ale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 9.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 80.0 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 16.0 %

0.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 3 4.0 %

25.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %'] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 4 20.5 IBUs

50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 7.5 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 20.4 IBUs

50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 7 15.7 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

White Labs MELBOURNE ALE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where's the Amber? tongue

Brewing an American Amber Ale today and will try a few things in the hope of achieving better efficiency. The last beer was only 67% efficiency so will try the following,

• Reduce my strike water from 33 litres to 31. (Have been getting a full cube of 23 litres with about another litre of wort in the urn)

• Finer crush of my grains

•90 min mash and will stir it every 30 mins

The recipe looks like this

90 min mash at 66°C

4kg Maris Otter

450g Munich

450g Biscuit

680g Dark crystal

50g Roasted Barley

20g Centennial FWH 60mins

10g Mosaic 20mins

5g Mosaic 5mins

20g Mosaic Flameout steep for 20mins

45g Mosaic Dry Hop

US-05 from starter

OG 1.053 expected

FG 1.014 expected

30 IBU

5.4% ABV bottled

Row brew, I'm quite new to AG brewing as well and with my previous set up of a 50L pot, full volume mash and no sparge I was getting good mash efficiency, but that converted to poor brewhouse due to losses.

In my new system, a smaller 35L pot I had to sparge because a full volume mash just wouldn't fit! Only done two so far but mash efficiency is still in high 80s and I managed to up my brewhouse efficiency to 75%.

Keep us posted with your numbers today. Hope it works out for you. I'm a fan of the sparge and will keep brewing in the same manner

Hi Rowbrew.

I am brewing an amber ale this weekend and have decided to use this recipes hop schedule' date=' but am worried that it might come out too bitter. (It will be no chilled) So my question is should i move all the late Mosaic additions to flameout or just brew it as is and see what happens?[/quote']

90 min mash at 66°C

4kg Maris Otter

450g Munich

450g Biscuit

680g Dark crystal

50g Roasted Barley

20g Centennial FWH 60mins

10g Mosaic 20mins

5g Mosaic 5mins

20g Mosaic Flameout steep for 20mins

45g Mosaic Dry Hop

US-05 from starter

OG 1.053 expected

FG 1.014 expected

30 IBU

5.4% ABV bottled

With all that dark crystal in there' date=' you may actually be wanting an increase in bitterness to compensate for the added sweetness this quantity of crystal malt will bring to the table, so the no-chill method might be more helpful with that hop schedule than not.

Just curious, what was the EBC of this one?

Good luck with the brew. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty!

So the EBC turned out to be about 41. I ended up getting an OG of 1.059, so that makes it about 74% efficiency. Can't complain about that! Yeah i hope that the no chill process will round out the bitterness a little more because at the moment im looking at about 29 IBU. Ill guess we'll see in a month or so

Cheers everyone!

I suspect that might turn out a little too sweet. Why so much dark crystal?

Yeah i guess i could've used a little less. I was looking at Amber ale recipes for a while and just thought id use that much. I was also reading the description for it and intense caramel and toffe flavours sounded really nice. It also said to use up to 20% of the malt bill, and i have used 12% Oh well, if it does turn out too sweet ill just put it down to experience!

Cheers!

Doing my Fat Tyre clone recipe today. Mashing went well, got a post mash gravity of 1.044 so I got an efficency of about 75% which is great for my second ever go at BIAB, but I think I need to get my beersmith profile worked out further.

Cooling the wort now and getting ready to ferment, looking at starting at 17 degrees and going to 20 in a week.

1.90 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 64.4 %

0.45 kg Gladfield Biscuit Malt (60.0 EBC) Grain 2 15.3 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 10.2 %

0.30 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 4 10.2 %

6.00 g Challenger - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 9.4 IBUs

15.00 g Styrian Goldings - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 10.2 IBUs

0.58 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

10.00 g Styrian Goldings - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 8 3.4 IBUs

1.0 pkg Abbaye Belgian (Lallemand/Danstar #-) Yeast 9 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %

Bitterness: 23.0 IBUs

Est Color: 30.0 EBC

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG

Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Calories: 427.1 kcal/l

Whoops, only got 10L into the fermenter and had a starting gravity of 1.06...... I added a litre of water to bring the gravity down a little, will see how it goes. The sample into the fermenter was all caramel and biscuit, a hit of herbaly hops.

FWH with magnum for 15 IBU

45 IBU @ 15 using Citra ' date=' Centennial and Mosiac

15 IBU using same @ 5

2.5 g /l each at whirlpool and dry

so lucky i bought a fresh half kilo yesterday

[/quote']

Hey Mark,

Have you used Citra, Centennial and Mosaic together before?

Thinking of give that a go on my next brew.

Interested to hear how it turned out.

Cheers

James

I suspect that might turn out a little too sweet. Why so much dark crystal?

Yeah i guess i could've used a little less. I was looking at Amber ale recipes for a while and just thought id use that much. I was also reading the description for it and intense caramel and toffe flavours sounded really nice. It also said to use up to 20% of the malt bill' date=' and i have used 12% Oh well, if it does turn out too sweet ill just put it down to experience!

Cheers![/quote']I think the bitterness will be too low for it. In the recipe it's 41, and I can't see the late additions achieving another 12 IBUs from no-chilling and even if they do, the bitterness isn't the same as long boiled hops. That recipe also uses medium crystal (80L/157EBC) rather than dark crystal which is more like 120L/236EBC.

I normally use Caraaroma (350ish EBC) and a bit of black patent in my red ale, which originally was designed to be an amber ale but the color it came out kinda changed that. It definitely has the intense caramel and toffee though, with just the 300g used for a 25L batch. Caraaroma is a very strong and intense crystal, so you don't need as much to get those flavors.

I am now thinking that maybe using the malt bill of one recipe and the hop schedule of another is probably not a good idea! The recipe calls for Crysal 80L so i used the brewtoad colour converter to convert Lovibond to EBC, and it tells me 80L is 212 EBC. The dark crystal i used has an EBC of 211 EBC. Thats the only reason i used dark instead of medium. I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Cheers Kelsey

EBC is roughly twice Lovibond. It's not exactly twice, it's actually 1.97 times L. Lovibond is also pretty much the same scale as SRM. Obviously if you multiply 80 by 1.97 you don't get 212 tongue. I'm not sure why the Brewtoad calculator works it out that way but it seems erroneous when every other conversion I've seen is as written in this post.

This one gives the proper conversion rates http://pint.com.au/calculators/maltcolour/

Cheers

Kelsey

Put this brew down yesterday. Supposed to be a clone of Pirate life's IPA. Went really well and smells amazing so far. Keen as to try this one out in a few weeks biggrin

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 72.4 %

1.20 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 15.8 %

0.60 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 3 7.9 %

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 65L (Bairds) (128.1 EBC) Grain 4 2.6 %

0.10 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5 1.3 %

18.00 g Warrior [16.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 30.1 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial [8.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.4 IBUs

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 8 -

20.00 g Centennial [8.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.0 IBUs

45.00 g Simcoe [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min Hop 10 5.3 IBUs

25.00 g Riwaka [5.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min Hop 11 1.2 IBUs