Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2017

Beerlust

I was going to buy the 5.2 stabiliser a couple of years ago but I also read some mixed reviews.

I now use ezy water and keep my water additions fairly simple. I use the local water report for the base but I have never actually measured the pH of the mash so it could be totally out. My beers taste fine so I haven’t bothered trying it.

Lusty, the reviews were mixed which means that some people had positive experiences with it. Good luck, I hope it works out and solves the astringency issues.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another go at an ever evolving amber/red ale:

Rambunctious Red

(Partial Mash)

1.60 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 37.6 %

0.20 kg Gladfield Red Back Malt 4.7 %

0.20 kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt 4.7 %

50g Roasted Barley 1.2%

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) lager 40 %

250g Coopers BE2 11.8%

5g Waimea - FWH (35min boil)

25g Taiheke - (45 min FO steep)

Nottingham Slurry

| OG=1.047 | ABV=4.8% | EBC=31.4 | IBU=30 |

Double batch today..

Megaswill Clone - Made to 19L

3.3kg BB Pale Malt

0.1kg Acid Malt

30 Grams Roasted Barley

25gm Pride of Ringwood @ 60 mins

300 Grams white sugar @ 15 mins

Irish Moss @ 10 mins

3L Starter of Danish Lager fermented @ 10c till 1020 ish then at ambient

Cascade Saison - made to 19L

3.6kg BB Pale Malt

0.5kg Wheat Malt

0.25kg Munich

0.1kg Crystal

5gm Magnum @ 60

20gm Cascade @ 20,10,flameout

5gm coriander seed @ 10 mins

Belle Saison 1.5L Starter @ ambient with a 22c floor temp setting on my heat belt

G'day Hairy. smile

I was going to buy the 5.2 stabiliser a couple of years ago but I also read some mixed reviews.

I now use ezy water and keep my water additions fairly simple. I use the local water report for the base but I have never actually measured the pH of the mash so it could be totally out. My beers taste fine so I haven’t bothered trying it.

Lusty' date=' the reviews were mixed which means that some people had positive experiences with it. Good luck, I hope it works out and solves the astringency issues.[/quote']

Thanks mate. I only bought a small amount of the stuff to trial it, so no biggy if it doesn't live up to expectations as I'll just toss the leftovers & move onto something else.

After doing a bit of online reading & a bit of mucking around in the Bru'N'Water spreadsheet, that might be either some calcium chloride or acidulated malt in the mash & either some lactic or phosphoric acid in the sparge water.

I had really wished to avoid all this by staying a partial masher, & am still a little surprised & confused at how this unwanted astringency seemed to come about in the first place. My water is fairly alkaline which is said to be a cause for astringency so being able to lower this appears to be the solution.

Oh well, onward & upward. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Bit of delayed post as I had a few things on this long weekend just gone!

Sunday started at a workshop, drilling 20mm and 32mm holes into my mate's 50L stainless steel pot. Got a ball valve in there and a 2200W electric heating element because he lives in an apartment and only space to brew is on the balcony. Didn't want to muck around with gas.

A recipe that he brewed last year from extract was good, but ended up a bit thick and a bit sweet. So it was time to try it as an AG brew.

Simcoe and Sorachi Ace IPA.

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 32.58 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.86 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l

Bottling Volume: 19.30 l

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 11.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 68.9 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 82.7 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

0.46 Items Campden Tablet (Potassium Metabisulfate) (Mash 0.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

4.80 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 81.5 %

0.60 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 4 10.2 %

0.34 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 5 5.8 %

0.15 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 2.5 %

20.00 g Magnum [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 26.3 IBUs

0.46 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -

17.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 12.9 IBUs

17.00 g Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 12.9 IBUs

20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 11 8.4 IBUs

20.00 g Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 12 8.4 IBUs

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -

28.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

28.00 g Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Well not everything went to plan. The mash was OK but on his system and environment the mash temp dropped from 65.4 to 61.9C over the 75min mash. I think he needs a better sleeping bag to insulate it with!

I took a post-mash sample, but hydrometer tube blew out so I lost it down the sink. pinched

Then the big stuff up. I used the equipment profile for this pot when I had it on my propane burner, which has a boil off rate of over 5L an hour. The electric element struggled to boil the wort. Perhaps it was caked in protein and kept cutting out? Well I had to have the lid 3/4 on to get the wort to boil rather than simmer, and it wasn't a furious rolling boil like I am used to on my system at my place. We only boiled off about 3L over the 75min boil.

Measured OG = 1.050, was aiming for 1.059. Working backwards i think the mash efficiency was OK, just the boil off was pitiful so didn't concentrate those sugars. So... session IPA now?

Will see how it tastes in the glass with those high IBUs in a lower gravity wort. It might ferment quite low too. Oh well.

Was good fun Brewing and BBQing though and getting used to the new system. Oh and it was the maiden brew and maiden BBQ (pork ribs) on the Weber in his new apartment, so can't be too hard on ourselves!

Jools

Brew day today and im going for a Pacific Ale style beer.

3kg Pale malt

1.6kg Wheat malt

200g Carapils

10g Galaxy at 5 mins

15g Galaxy at Flameout

25g Galaxy Cube hop

50g Galaxy Dry hop

I was thinking of using Coopers yeast from an EB kit. Thoughts?

90 min mash at 65C stirring every 30 mins

Aiming for

1.049 OG

1.010 FG ?

4.9% ABV

21 IBU

Cheers!

My boil wort is almost finished cooling & I took another reading' date=' & it reads @ 6.2-6.3. For those in the know, what would you say on that in regards to what level I should be aiming for, & whether this is normal/abnormal etc.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

Post boil wort should be about 5-5.2 pH. So either your pH meter is inaccurate or your wort is far too alkaline.

https://byo.com/malt/item/1494-the-principles-of-ph <- some light reading cool

1.049 OG

1.010 FG ?

4.9% ABV

21 IBU

So i had very bad effiency again today. Had some trouble with my mill just free spinning' date=' so had to muck around with the gap again. Anyway here are the actual stats for this brew.

1.032 Pre boil gravity

1.036 OG

22.6 IBU (with gravity correction)

22 litres in the cube

I mashed at 65C so it will hopfuly finish on the dry side. Looking for an FG of 1.008 or there abouts. If it does get that low it'll still be about 4% ABV in the bottle. I guess i can live with that! [img']lol[/img] Still not sure what yeast ill use yet.

Cheers!

Rowbrew was your Galaxy Pacific Ale inspired by Ben10's recent recipe?

Mine is in the fermenter and has reached FG. I brewed Ben10's recipe, pretty much exactly. It was only pale malt and wheat, with no Carapils. The hop schedule is similar except for the 5min boil. 50g dumped at flameout as the only "hot" addition.

I had an OG of 1.043, which was what I aimed for. Beersmith said 1.007 estimated OG, which was never going to happen. It is finished at 1.011 and that is 74% attenuation. As can be expected from the combo of Coopers kit yeast + M10 Workhorse slurry.

Will be keen to compare tasting notes Ben10 and Rowbrew once we have all of ours bottled/kegged and carbed up.

Hey joolbag,

Its actually just a coincidence, i have been wanting to do one for a while now and have had the recipe for months. I would be glad to share tasting notes with you once its done. It certainly smelt lovely going into the cube! The reason why i didnt do 50g flameout and 50g dry is because the IBUs come in at about 37 on my software. I set my flameout addition as 20 min for no chill. Do you no chill jools? If so whats your technique?

Cheers mate!

Ok then. With my software, 50g of galaxy with 15.8%AA as a 20 min addition, (for flameout no chill) gives me 40 IBU with my low gravity. With your gravity of 1.052 in 23 litres i get 36 IBU. Do you put your flameout additions as a 20 min?

Yeah i put it in as a 20 min boil because i thought that was what you do when no chilling.

I'm sure you'll get a good beer regardless. And look' date=' if the app you use works why not keep using it? Numbers are meaningless really, it's consistency and taste that are important.

Recipe: Benny's Big Red XII

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Rye IPA

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.067 SG

Estimated Color: 32.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 69.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 3 66.2 %

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 14.7 %

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 14.7 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 6 3.7 %

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 7 0.7 %

40.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %'] - First Wo Hop 8 57.0 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

50.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 10 12.7 IBUs

MJs Californian Common yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you'll get a good beer regardless. And look' date=' if the app you use works why not keep using it? Numbers are meaningless really, it's consistency and taste that are important.[/quote']

Thanks Ben. Maybe i just need to brew more and dial in my technique for now, rather than worry about numbers

My Brown Ale:

Type: BIAB

Size: 10L (14.5L boil)

Mash: 68c

Hops: 28g East Kent Goldings (4% aa) @ 60 mins

OG: 1.048

FG: 1.011 (est)

IBUs: 33

SRM: 19

Grains:

2kg - Pale 2-Row

113 g - Crystal 60L

85 g - Crystal 120L

28 g - Black Patent

38 g - Chocolate Malt

Yeast: 5.5g Nottingham (rehydrated)

Quick kits & bits brew day to use up some leftovers.

E=MC2 Pale Ale:

Coopers AUS Pale Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 1.1kgs

Light Crystal Malt grain 250gms

El Dorado 25gms hop tea

Centennial 25gms hop tea

El Dorado 20gms dry hopped

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped

Centennial 20gms dry hopped

Harvested MJ42 Strong Ale yeast (1 litre starter)

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.048

FG = approx. 1.010 (78% attenuation)

EBC = 13.7

IBU = 27.5

Kegged ABV = approx. 5.0%

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just picked up a can of Canadian Blonde and Bootmaker Pale Ale from woolworths because they were "On Clearance"

Now I am staring at them thinking what am I even going to do with these.......Do I give the "Blushing Blonde" a crack and impress the ladies but risk having 20+ Litres of a brew I hate :P

Was thinking of using the Bootmaker in a Fruit Salad Ale - but that calls for just the regular APA....any issues using the Bootmaker?

Just picked up a can of Canadian Blonde and Bootmaker Pale Ale from woolworths because they were "On Clearance"

Now I am staring at them thinking what am I even going to do with these.......Do I give the "Blushing Blonde" a crack and impress the ladies but risk having 20+ Litres of a brew I hate :P

There are other options with this kit' date=' that are only restricted by your own imagination. It's lightly coloured so has a lot of scope for a wide variety of adaptions.

Two recipes in the Coopers DIY recipe bank...

Helga's Cool Kolsch

Strawberry Blonde

I've brewed the former & it was an enjoyable beer to drink away from my usual pale ales.

Was thinking of using the Bootmaker in a Fruit Salad Ale - but that calls for just the regular APA....any issues using the Bootmaker?

You certainly can follow the recipe outline with this kit. Just be aware though there is slightly higher malt & hop influence in the American derived kit over the Australian derived kit that will have some affect on how forward the Cascade/Amarillo hop tea will present in the final beer. Should still be nice though.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Hey Fergy!

I also saw the Canadian blonde kit on special at my local Woolies located in Melton Victoria, so i picked one up to make a mid strength for the guests at my nephews birthday in December. The kit only cost $9.45! Couldn't pass that up!

Manuka Blonde

1 Coopers Canadian Blonde kit

500g LDM

340g Manuka Honey

Kit yeast rehydrated, pitched at 22°C

OG 1.037

FG 1.009?

IBU 24

22 litres

I am just fermenting it on the bench because my brew fridge is full. The temps down here in Vic aren't too bad at the moment, about 18 to 20 during the day and around 9 to 10 overnight. I might wrap it up and insulate at night, but i reckon it'll be ok

I'm gonna be doing a brew day on Saturday, another Bohemian Pilsner. Nice to not need so many hops with this lot of 3.8% AA.

21 litre batch, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Estimated mash efficiency 89.3%.

Water and Treatment

33L distilled water

0.44 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

0.40 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

0.34 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

0.32 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

Grains

4.000 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 94.0 %

0.150 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.3 %

0.006 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.2 %

Hochkurz mash schedule: 63C for 40 minutes, 72C for 20 minutes, 78C mash out.

Hops

40.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 20.2 IBUs

25.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 11.3 IBUs

35.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 7.5 IBUs

30.00 g Saaz {3.80 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 13 3.2 IBUs

90 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 2000 Budvar Lager. Ferment using usual lager schedule.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0477 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0080 SG*

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %

Bitterness: 42.2 IBUs

Est Color: 9.3 EBC

I've been finding those flameout additions of Saaz quite nice in these batches since I started doing it. There were some warnings of grassiness from it but I haven't noticed any.

*This will probably be more like 1.010-11; for some reason I can't really get Beersmith to accurately predict FGs when I use those stepped mash schedules.. maybe I should just input it as a single infusion and adjust the temp to fit what I get in reality.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived