55C - 10 minutes

62C - 45 minutes

72C - 15 minutes

78C - 10 minutes

OG - 1053

IBU - 20

22 litres

US-05

I have never used Sorachi Ace before so I didn't want to overdo it. Not sure if I still am though.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Brew day yesterday. Put down a kolsch style beer similar to the one in the recipes section.

-Coopers Canadian Blonde

-1kg LDM

-250g cara pils steeped

-20g Halletauer Mittelfrau @ 20 & 10 minutes

-us05

Due to big chunks of undisolved LDM didn't bother taking a gravity reading. IanH's spreadsheet estimates 1.041 though.

As I had to go straight out I pitched at 28 degrees. Would have been at 20 within a couple of hours though and at 17 now. Would the high pitching temp have much effect on flavours seeing as I can bring the temps down nice and quick in the freezer? Looking for a fairly clean ferment so hope not.

Cheers!

Hey A-tron I am drinking the Helgas Cool Kölsch right now with lunch! Like you, I used Hallertau Mittelfrüh as I had it on hand. I like that hop, used it in a few lagers now and like wat it brings to the table.

I followed the recipe exactly, and wish I had used all DME/LME. I can taste a thinness and sharpness that I attribute to the Brew Enhancer. It's quaffable, but not a beer that I proudly share around with friends. Middle ground, no show stopper.

Ok I used K-97 German Ale yeast and I liked how it munched through the wort and attenuated and flocculated well. I will try an all-extract Kölsch again in the future as I like the style for summer drinking

Now you have decent temp controlled freezer your options are opening .

Going AG or partial mash isn't that hard once you have a few basics down pat ' date=' i went looking after my kit based brews didn't hit my targets and it turned into a steep learning curve , a good LHBS is a great thing to have

if they have a decent selection of malts , hops and yeast then hug them tight ! [/quote']

Yep just checked freezer today both brews are going great guns. The smell from the freezer is so much fresher but maybe that because before i had to contend with mc exhaust fumes. Temp sitting betwean 17.1 when freezer shuts down to 18.5 when it kicks in again. High hopes for these 2 and might dry hop one with some mosaic next Saturday just so i can "Compare the Pair"

If anyone can answer my quetions earlier regarding "Ace of Spades" would be great.

Thanks and regards

John

Hope you all had the brew gods with you this weekend...

last minute cancellations from my brew mates meant I had to come up with a recipe on the fly, so downloaded a trial of Beersmith (thanks Kelsey for the recommend) and first impressions of the tool are pretty good.

I think i've mentioned what I had in stock, and with deferring Morrie's Timothy Taylor till the next time my IPA-Cray mates join me, came up with this tribute to the EU, before it collapses.

Vieux Bruin

1.12 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.60 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK

0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt

0.13 kg Melanoiden Malt

20.00 g Hallertauer 60.0 min

10.00 g Hallertauer 20.0 min

10.00 g Styrian Golding 10.0 min

1.0 pkg Belgian Strong Ale Yeast #WLP545

UK and German Malts, German and Slovene Hops, Belgian Yeast

Came out quite dark, but reddish, like Little Creatures Rogers (?) closest match of style was an Altbier. I'll take that..

OG 1.050

Had a productive day today getting in a brew day for an Oatmeal Milk Stout.

Everything went pretty smoothly except the wort taking forever to cool in the ice bath.

Was aiming for an O.G of 1.055 and just undershot with 1.052.

I bought a 10L cooler from bunning today to mash in some grains to go with the extract and DLME. Worked perfectly.

All round pretty happy,

Got it sitting in the brew fridge in the garage currently to keep the temp coming down. Need it to get down under 22C, pitched the yeast at 25C as it was just taking too long. Figured best to just get the yeast in there and working.

<a href=IMG_20170129_152353_344.jpg' alt='IMG_20

Finally got down Lusty's Amber Ale last night:

1.5kg Coopers LME

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 350gms

Chocolate Malt grain (1200) 100gms

CaraHell 200gms

Mashed/steeped @ 68°C for 60-75mins

5 litre hop boil:

Centennial 20gms @ 60mins

Mosaic 10gms @ 20mins

Mosaic 5gms @ 10mins

Mosaic 10gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Mosaic 20gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

Safale S-04, rehydrated

Brewed to 21 litres

My first partial mash and seemed to work out well - just used a pot on the stove and transferred to a heat pad with an old sleeping bag wrapped around it which maintained the temp nicely.

Was doing it while watching the tennis - so took a bit longer than I thought and was 9.30 pm before I was pitching the yeast! The temp was a bit high at 23c - but pitched anyway and then straight in the brew fridge to get the temp down, so hopefully was all ok. yeast was well hydrated beforehand. Had a look this morning before heading to work and no visible signs of fermentation yet - which was a bit of a surprise as I usually see some signs of the yeast getting going the next morning, but its been less than 12 hours so will check when I get home tonight and hoplefully it will be away and going.

The brew smelt and tasted fantastic - so Im really looking forward to this one.

Cheers Lusty

Well brew day is coming up fast and will order my grain bill tomorrow for Kelsey's "Ace of Spades Porter" which I will do on Saturday. Have decided to go full grain bill in 19l starting volume. Pretty sure the estimated 11l wart will have OG of around 1.10 then I will dilute down to around 1.050. Hoping this will give a 21-22l batch. Maybe trying to run before I can walk as this will be my first all grain and working with equipment that I have no idea how it will perform. Fingers crossed that I can get something in the fermenter at the end of the day.

You'll still make beer, or wort, at the end of it. Everyone who brews AG had a first go at some point so we do understand what it's like starting out. It's largely an easy process although time consuming, but it can feel daunting as well. I hope it turns out well though!

I have mucked around with that recipe over the years, sometimes dropping the base malt amount mainly because it was too much of a PITA lifting the bag out of the urn with the full grain bill. That was when I was always brewing 25L batches though, so the amount of grains needed was more. The original recipe's OG was about 1.060 I think, and the original recipe was always the nicest.

Because I scaled down to 21L for last week's brewing of this beer, I went back to the original recipe as I only needed 5kg base malt instead of 6kg to match the OG. I ended up with an OG of 1.0596, which should result in somewhere close to 6% ABV in the keg, depending on the FG of course. It'll be going into the fermenter this weekend so should be kegged mid-late Feb, and then spend a few months sitting in the keg before being tapped around June/July.

Cheers

Kelsey

Second crack at a Saison this time with some changes to the original recipe, namely the introduction of rye malt and a dark muscovado. I've also swapped out the flavour hop Riwaka for Wakatu (a Hallertau derivative):

Kiwi Saison #2

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager 34.0 %

2.20 kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt 44.0 %

0.40 kg Rye Malt 8.0 %

0.20 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt 4.0 %

0.50 kg Muscovado Dark Sugar 10.0%

10.00 g Wakatu Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Nelson Sauvin - Steep 15.0 min

Mangrove Jack's #M29 yeast slurry

IBU=29.4, OG=1.052, expected FG/ABV = 1.004/6.4%

Following on from my Fail post, today is a new day!

My brewing buddy dropped off 100gm Cascade, plus some Chinook and Cluster to add to Centennial for a future IPA.

So I'm back in business. Just started the boil now. Citra and Centennial out of the bag smell phenomenal. Can't wait to crack one of these open at my son's 4th birthday party!

Feral Hop Hog clone

23L batch

1.5kg Briess Pilsen extract

3.0kg Briess Pale Ale extract

0.21kg Caramunich malt

OG 1.062

FG 1.015

IBU 56.3

Boil size 9L, HCF setting on in IanH spreadsheet

US-05 yeast

Hop schedule:

20g Citra @ 60min = 19.39 IBU

15g Centennial @ 30min = 8.91 IBU

13g Citra @ 30min = 9.70 IBU

24g Cascade @ 10min = 4.20 IBU

16g Centennial @ 10min = 4.46 IBU

14g Citra @ 10min = 4.90 IBU

24g Cascade @ 5min = 2.31 IBU

16g Centennial @ 5min = 2.45 IBU

14g Citra @ 5min = 2.69 IBU

24g Cascade @ 0min

16g Centennial @ 0min

14g Citra @ 0min

10g Cascade dry hopped

10g Centennial dry hopped

10g Citra @ dry hopped

Brew day! happy

I'm sort of in catchup mode atm given some brews I've recently done for my Father, & a brew for a case swap meet in the near future. Two empty kegs atm OMFG!! w00t

Fast carbed a brew up earlier today, & whacked down the following to get something tasty in the other keg soon.

Blackrock Light Liquid malt extract 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 820gms

Gladfield Supernova Malt grain 200gms

Table sugar 50gms

Centennial 25gms @ 30mins

Falconers Flight 5gms @ 15mins

Falconers Flight 20gms post boil steeped

Falconers Flight 25gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast (rehydrated)

Brewed to 21 litres

Fermented @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.043

FG = approx. 1.011

ABV = approx. 4.2% (kegged)

EBC = 15.1

IBU = 28.9

I've been looking forward to using these Falconers Flight hops again as they have been in my fridge for a good month now or more, so happy to get some of them into a brew finally. The timing of this brew was sort of crucial as I have a lager yeast based brew planned to throw down this coming Sunday where I will need the brew fridge. I'm really excited about that brew & what it may yield. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi joolbag.

...Boil size 9L' date=' HCF setting on in IanH spreadsheet...

Hop schedule:

20g Citra @ 60min = 19.39 IBU

15g Centennial @ 30min = 8.91 IBU

13g Citra @ 30min = 9.70 IBU

24g Cascade @ 10min = 4.20 IBU

16g Centennial @ 10min = 4.46 IBU

14g Citra @ 10min = 4.90 IBU

24g Cascade @ 5min = 2.31 IBU

16g Centennial @ 5min = 2.45 IBU

14g Citra @ 5min = 2.69 IBU

24g Cascade @ 0min

16g Centennial @ 0min

14g Citra @ 0min

[/quote']

With small volume hop boiling, absorption of liquid becomes a factor as does the intensity of what the oils can leave in the remaining volume when using high volumes of hops. The HCF in IanH's spreadsheet does take this into account, but it is based on older values primarily relating to "noble" hop varieties of lower alpha levels (IMHO).

I'm a small volume boiler myself, so I feel I understand what happens with larger volumes of hops in smaller boil volumes, better than most given the extensive testing I have done over the last 5-6 years in a home brewing environment at these boil volumes.

I've found adding your "0min" or "flameout" hops to a separate hop tea comprising of purely water or a mixed malt base to be somewhat helpful given our lower boil volumes based on heavily hopped, FULL volume boil recipes. wink

It really comes down to a case of how much a physical matter can absorb a liquid source before it can absorb no more, & what liquid volume is left, because what is left held in the physical hop matter, is lost (IMHO).

On the surface it looks like a terrifically hop forward flavoured beer. Good luck with it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hobart Regatta Day, public holiday brewing. Unlike the rest of Australia it is freezing down south,15 degrees ATM.

Buccaneer's Pale Ale

This will be nothing like the PL Pale Ale, most of the ingredients are the same except I didn't have Caramalt so I wacked in a touch of Munich. Lots of Mosaic and Cascade planned for late in the boil.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Thanks Lusty, I have not yet made any hop teas but have followed yours and other people's brews with interest.

I am learning a lot about hops through brewing experience. The ones that I can describe as a hop explosion have been dry hopped, not as heavily as some recipes out there. 30g fish of high AA% hops like Galaxy and Citra.

Coincidentally these two beers (Stone & Wood Pacific Ale clone and an all Citra Pale Ale) have been my favourite I have brewed. I found them to peak at 4 weeks after bottling and hop flavour was noticeably diminished at the 8 week mark. My observation is that aroma has a lot to do with hop perception in a beer. My sampling of commercial beers reflects this.

I have heavily hopped a few beers at flameout and those recipes did not call for any dry hop. Given the volume of hops, it was not particularly "hop-forward" in the glass for me. One of these was a full boil all-grain beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.

I suspect I will be doing a lot of dry hopping in my brews. This hop tea has me intrigued. I will try it. So same weight of hops at flameout, but instead of adding to the brew kettle, steep in water (what temp and volume?) and then add to fermenter with rest of top up water?

Brew day! Today for my second batch I put down a Sparkling Ale, straight as per the coopers recipe page.

Adelaide Tap Water

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Innkeepers Daughter Sparkling Ale Can

1.5kg Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

Yeast: Danstar 'BRY97' West Coast Ale (no starter, just on top in the FV in a whirlpool)

Pitching temp was 26 degrees or just under. By the next brew I'm hoping to be pitching at 21 degrees.

This was supposed to be my FIRST brew, until 4 days into the brew I looked in the pantry and realized I'd brewed this recipe (using kit yeast however) with the TC Brew A IPA can instead.

Waiting to see how that one turns out. Especially as it was brewed during the 40 degree days and couldn't get pitching temps lower than 30 degrees and average brew temp was about 28 degrees. Fingers crossed it's drinkable!

Put down DAS ALTO altbier today

-Coopers Real Ale tin

-Coopers Amber Malt tin

-250g Caraminich cold steeped overnight

-25g Tettnanger @10 min & 25g more will be dry hopped

-US05 slurry from my kolsch @ 17 celcius

The recipe called for Spalt hops but I substituted Tettnanger due to availability.

Can't wait to see if it takes off. I'm a bit nervous as it's my first attempt at repitching yeast.

Cheers.

Hi guys.

Based on my own view of what I reckon the original Knappstein Enterprise lager comprised of, I constructed the following recipe. Admittedly the malt bill would not be the same, but it is a grist I think would work well for this style. The hop & yeast choice though, I reckon would be close to providing what I remember.

The Budvar yeast took quite a few days to get going in the starter I threw into a few days ago, but eventually woke up & became active. I pitched this 2 litre starter into the brew earlier this afternoon.

Enterprising Lager

Briess Pilsen Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Golden Light Dry Malt extract 600gms

Weyermanns Ale malt grain 750gms

Weyermanns Dark Wheat malt grain 250gms

Gladfield Supernova malt grain 200gms

CaraPils grain 150gms

Cascade 30gms @ 30mins

Nelson Sauvin 5gms @ 20mins

Nelson Sauvin 25gms @ flameout

Nelson Sauvin 30gms dry hopped

Wyeast 2000 Budvar yeast (added to a 2ltr starter)

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 10-11°C

OG = approx. 1.053

FG = ?

EBC = 13.9

IBU = 27.5

Kegged ABV = 5.0%

Yeast pitched @ 19.4°C, reducing to 16°C overnight & then staggering down to 10-11°C tomorrow.

Fingers crossed all goes well. This could well be my best brew ever! (Scottie will understand!) tonguewink

Cheers,

Lusty.

After a lot of reading, research and playing around with IanH's spreadsheet, I put down my first extract brew today, with the intention on kegging and then ageing until the darkest pits of winter.

Respect Imperial Stout

Light DME 3.5kg

CaraMalt 350g

Chocolate Malt 300g

Roasted Malt 100g

Roasted Barley 100g

Dark brown sugar 450g

Molasses 150g

60g Magnum @ 60 mins

35g Fuggles @ 20 mins

15g Fuggles @ 5 mins

2x S-04 rehydrated

20L

My technique was sorely lacking, being first time out. Took too long to get the boiled wort into the bath as I added all the fermentables to the hot wort at the end (boiled with grain bill plus 340g DME). I'll be the first to admit my sanitisation wasn't the best - I had to use a grain bag to strain the hop sludge out of the wort and gave it a few squeezes to try and speed the process (though my hands had been dipped in sanitiser). The double yeast hydration was also a bit of an issue - too far before pitching and too small a container, needing a container split due to yeasties going ape.

OG came out a little under what I expected - 1.078 vs 1.084. I may have been under on the DME by about 40g.

In the 30L fermenter now with a blow off tube running in to a 5L container 1/4 full of sanitiser. Kind of nervous about the fermentation once it gets into full swing...

Archived