Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

Listened to and played along with some Angel's tracks, then decided to go a bit more laid back, Jack Johnson On and On, followed by Nora Jones Come Away With Me.

Not my usual listening, but trying to get a nice chilled vibe going to go along with trying out a recent batch of modified Canadian Blonde; success on both counts.

• 3 weeks later...

and of course Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick.

"Really don't mind if you sit this one out.

My words but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT.

I may make you feel but I can't make you think.

Your sperm's in the gutter your love's in the sink.

So you ride yourselves over the fields and

You make all your animal deals and

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

And the sand-castle virtues are all swept away in

The tidal destruction

The moral melee.

The elastic retreat rings the close of play as the last wave uncovers

The newfangled way.

But your new shoes are worn at the heels and

Your suntan does rapidly peel and

Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

And the love that I feel is so far away:

I'm a bad dream that I just had today and you

Shake your head and

Say it's a shame.

Spin me back down the years and the days of my youth.

Draw the lace and black curtains and shut out the whole truth.

Spin me down the long ages, let them sing the song."

Songwriters: IAN ANDERSON

Thick As A Brick lyrics © BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT US, LLC

So long ago and nothing has changed. lol

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a teenager I could never understand anyone having an attraction to "Best of" or "Greatest Hits" albums. Over the last few years (OK, decades) I've really softened my stance. And with a lot of you buggers driving me to reminiscences, tonight it's Best of Brian Cadd. I remember seeing them live at Mayne Hall at Qld Uni in 1974!

Fire at Shepherd's Flat, Silver City Celebration Day, Moonshine, Let Go and, of course, Ginger Man. Ahhh, the dementing memories.

As a teenager & moving forward I bought a lot of tapes, 45's & 33's of a lot of the artists I liked listening to growing up. Not all (by a long shot), but a fair whack of the music I still listen to comes from that era. Thus the move to CD age technology & the associated playing equipment, along with the phase out of the then 'record player/tape deck setup' had me buying "Greatest Hits" CD compilations of bands that for the most part have stopped recording new material, so to still be able to play & listen to their music.

That age is even on the brink of fading out now, with most of the music purchased these days being MP4/MP3 downloadable based content from sources like "iTunes". There is a bit of a vinyl revival of sorts happening with a few prominent artists recording on it once again, & it will be interesting to see how far & how extensive that might evolve to. unsure

For those a bit younger, there is a sound you get off vinyl that comes across a little more 'Live' (IMHO) than what you hear with all the digitally remastered & studio tweaked stuff today.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Listening to Radiohead's The Bends -- hard to believe this bloody album is 20 years old already...

For those a bit younger' date=' there is a sound you get off vinyl that comes across a little more 'Live' (IMHO) than what you hear with all the digitally remastered & studio tweaked stuff today.[/quote']

You can still get a very good reproduction of that sound if you have the equipment (and HDD space) to listen to 24-bit/96kHz lossless FLAC rips, though you must of course obtain/generate these in a 100% legal way... whistling

Interesting story RE: vinyl -- on a forum I used to visit, there was a sound engineer who sounded like he'd spent upwards of 40 years in the industry and had a head full of significant facts and dates relating to vinyl recordings. One interesting post was in response to a guy who'd been analysing spectrograms of his own lossless rips and noticed a persistent inaudible "hum" somewhere between 25-40kHz. The poster suggested that he'd bought a counterfeit vinyl, and that the hum was due to poor lineage/equipment and was looking for someone to confirm what the real album was supposed to sound like.

The sound engineer chimed in and told him to relax, that the vinyl was almost definitely not counterfeit. When pressed for details, he recalled that the studio used to record the album was in the vicinity of some kind of industrial area, and the persistent hum was apparently present in all records they produced over a period of a few years. He said it was due to a piece of industrial equipment within a mile or so of the studio, and the hum was sometimes used by other engineers to verify authenticity of their other recordings. Bloody incredible.

Interesting stuff Gibbo.

You can still get a very good reproduction of that sound if you have the equipment (and HDD space) to listen to 24-bit/96kHz lossless FLAC rips' date=' though you must of course obtain/generate these in a 100% legal way... [img']whistling[/img]

A few years back I bought a digital turntable & associated software that plugs into my computer via USB. The setup allows you to produce digitally formatted recordings from a vinyl record source.

I was forced into this position because of the technological advances mentioned in my previous post. A lot of great music slipped through the cracks in this era & has not been reproduced or copied over into the newer mediums. So what else can a person do if he/she still wants to listen to these songs in the modern world?

The sound engineer chimed in and told him to relax' date=' that the vinyl was almost definitely not counterfeit. When pressed for details, he recalled that the studio used to record the album was in the vicinity of some kind of industrial area, and the persistent hum was apparently present in all records they produced over a period of a few years. He said it was due to a piece of industrial equipment within a mile or so of the studio, and the hum was sometimes used by other engineers to verify authenticity of their other recordings. Bloody incredible.[/quote']

Not surprising really. Hence why sound recording studios go to great lengths to sound proof their recording booths/rooms. I had similar issues with some of my initial record rip attempts. The pickup needle on the record player is highly sensitive, & in recording situations will pickup other ambient noises, hums etc. that can end up as part of the recording if you are not wise to eliminating external influences away from the record itself during a recording attempt.

Belle and Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance

and

Broken Bells - After the Disco

I am in more of a chill out mood today

Did Sebastian brake Belles heart' date=' so she went solo? [img']unsure[/img] tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.