Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

Acetobacter sucks devil

Better to pitch at 25C than leave it too long. But it is easy to say when you have a fridge. My last beer was pitched at 25C but was down to better temps within a couple of hours.

I usually put my cube in the fridge overnight at pitching temp before pouring in the FV but sometimes the timing doesn't work for me.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this quite constitutes a fail, but I just went through the freezer while I was waiting for the FV to drain out the sod perc before filling with the latest Bo Pils, and I found about 200g of Cascade hops in there that I didn't even know were there. I could have been brewing proper red ales all this time! pinchedlol

Anyway, since I've found that and also have some Perle on hand, I'm tossing up whether to do a third SNPA clone or just a simple Cascade pale recipe with a bit of Magnum for bittering... hm...

I'd go the SNPA. It's a winner I reckon.

I have something to add to this thread now..

As mentioned in another thread, had two bottle bombs recently, luckily they went off while I was not nearby them..

Interestingly it was only two of the weaker 330ml bottles, couldn’t identify them apart from being brown glass and having a small say 7mm diam. circle at base of neck.

Bottles blew pretty cleanly, with only a couple of pieces of glass involved, mostly the bottom section blowing off, no shards or really dangerous bits.

The beer was my latest Pilsner Urquell clone, finished at 1012, slightly higher than expected, but I did make sure it was finished, it spent some 8 days at 18°C for the diacetyl rest.

I did not bring back to room temp from lagering temp however, I see most recipes in the ‘Clone’ book recommend doing this with lagers to ensure they are finished. Not sure if I’ll take to doing this, maybe if the FG is a bit higher than expected as in this case.

Measuring the brew now it’s 1008, after bulk priming, bottling and carbonating, several weeks in the bottle. That .004 is equivalent to at least doubling priming sugar.

Have put the whole batch in one of my two brewing fridges to reduce CO2 pressure, which means I have to drink it all before I can use the fridge for brewing or cold conditioning…

It’s very carbonated, not pleasant to drink that way, so I’m putting it into a big tulip and swirling out the CO2 when drinking. Interesting it does not gush when opened. I think gushers have a lot more to do with nucleation caused by particles suspended in the beer.

Hi Kelsey.

I don't know if this quite constitutes a fail' date=' but I just went through the freezer while I was waiting for the FV to drain out the sod perc before filling with the latest Bo Pils, and I found about 200g of Cascade hops in there that I didn't even know were there. I could have been brewing proper red ales all this time! [img']pinched[/img]lol

Hahaha! I know you brewed your most recent Red Ale believing you didn't have any cascade! tonguelollol

Anyway' date=' since I've found that and also have some Perle on hand, I'm tossing up whether to do a third SNPA clone or just a simple Cascade pale recipe with a bit of Magnum for bittering... hm...[/quote']

Apart from that recent Mosaic Pale Ale, you've been cycling 3 beers for a while now. Bo Pilsner, Red Ale, & SNPA.

Time to branch out & throw some caution to the wind I reckon Kelsey! tongue

We're Australian, so don't be a wussy like the Canuck has been of late! tonguebiggrin

Show me something.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I know! Haha wish I'd found it before that brew day!

I haven't actually brewed a Sierra Nevada since about this time last year, but up until now it's mainly been pilsner due to them being bottled (I find ales don't carbonate well in winter). Before that I did a few pale ales with different hops to experiment. I might do a Sierra Nevada next then have a look at what I have in stock before creating the next recipe. I thought I had some Chinook but I can't find it at the moment.

Yeah, that'd be right too. lol

Not a fan of wheat beers, I do enjoy German lagers although my preference is Czech pilsners. I also enjoy English ales, and I plan to brew a couple of those over the next few months too. That's one style I haven't paid a lot of attention to, but since I've got APAs and pilsners pretty worked out, and that regular red ale recipe, I'll start playing with some English ales. I enjoy porter/stout as well but mainly in the colder months, so I usually brew one batch around this time of year to be ready for the following winter. I want to get a good stockpile of kegs up before I do that this time though.

...I thought I had some Chinook but I can't find it at the moment.

I'll take a stab in the dark & say it's buried somewhere in the freezer! tonguelol

So many lovely new hops out there Kelsey that you could easily sub in with some of your favourite malt bills that would just give those beers a new zing! cool Just remember how much you enjoyed that Mosaic hopped beer recently!

I'm starting to give my annual dark beer a bit of thought too atm. It'll probably be a spin on my oaked vanilla porter. I might choc it up a bit more & use that 1728 yeast on it this time! Yum! love

No hurry though. As long as I get it brewed & bottled before the end of January. wink

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

That's exactly where I reckon it is too lol I'll have a look soon when I go see if there's a krausen on my pilsner batch.

I definitely plan on trying out some new hops too, but I want to get rid of the ones already here before I order any. I won't be doing another pilsner til probably next year now as I need faster turnover to fill kegs, so I can at least use up these hops in pales/reds etc. and the English ones in those styles. In any case as long as I have tasty beer on tap I'm happy. biggrin

I don't think I ever sanitised the can opener when I was making kits/extracts. lol

Not saying that it was best practice obviously' date=' but it caused no issues either.[/quote']

If you saw the old can opener I had to use you would whistling

I broke my hydrometer getting it out in preparation for brew night crying I wish there was 24 hour LHBS

then when I went to rehydrate my yeast (purchased specifically for this brew) I discovered it was 6 months out of date!!! The one packet I didn't check the date on in the shop because I was too busy gasbagging with the owner.

Solutions: no OG reading bandit and gave the yeast a go with some spare coopers ale yeasts chucked in for insurance, fingers crossed.

doing brew day preps, normally sanitise a 20L cube and fill with water and throw in big freezer for a while to get my pitching temps spot on,

had crazy storm late yesterday arvo and halfway through my preps had to run around getting the cars under cover from the hail ect....came back inside cracked a beer and watched the storm forgotting about my brew day....

woke up this morning and remembered my cube....now i have a 20kg ice block haha defrosting before i can start my czech pils today.........

there is always something.....lol

lol Well at least you're in no danger of pitching it warm. tongue

Yesterday I discovered my brilliant wire brush for cleaning my urn element is beginning to rust. Obviously isn't stainless steel... now I'm gonna have to find another one that is. Or maybe figure some way out to attach some steel wool to the long handle. I guess I'll use the rusted one to clean the mower blades now. pinched

• 1 month later...

G'day my Vinous Voluptuary

I can assure you it's only been luck that I haven't had the same experience. I'll try to track down the link but about 12 months ago I accidentally found an interesting article that demonstrated (and I experimented with as well and it turned out the same for me) that irrespective of how sanitary your procedures are, wort will be affected by growing wild yeasts etc after only a few days at room temp.

It's not the reason why I refuse to do "no-chill", but it's one of the pointers why I'd prefer to pitch as soon as possible (and I'm aware of the reasons why no-chillers are happy to keep doing it their way, but it's just not for me).

Make a wort, pour some into a sanitised bottle/jar/whatever, seal it up properly immediatedly, leave it at room temp, and you can guarantee you'll see visible fermentation within 2 to 5 days. I'd prefer to get the yeast I want winning the battle with a good pitch ASAP.

Being a veteran of 12 brews of experience I can truthfully say that I have not stuffed up.... except for that brew a few times ago where I was pouring the ingredients into the FV and did not notice that it was all pouring straight out the tap at the bottom - until the puddle was big enough that even a dunderklumpen like me could see it easily.

Easy mistake to make, but one that you should only make once, right? Yeah, right, except that I did exactly the same thing again a couple of brews later..... Doh!

Cheers

Hello Fernando.

I can assure you it's only been luck that I haven't had the same experience. I'll try to track down the link but about 12 months ago I accidentally found an interesting article that demonstrated (and I experimented with as well and it turned out the same for me) that irrespective of how sanitary your procedures are' date=' wort will be affected by growing wild yeasts etc after only a few days at room temp.[/quote']

It's one of those areas that despite how much I've read about brewing, I hadn't come across any info on. That info may (yes may) have influenced me enough not to pitch it when I posed a query about doing just that. sad

It's my own fault though. I think when you're questioning something you're about to do, it's the sensible part of your brain telling you that you probably shouldn't do it in the first place.

I really should listen to me more often! lol

biggrin

It's not the reason why I refuse to do "no-chill"' date=' but it's one of the pointers why I'd prefer to pitch as soon as possible (and I'm aware of the reasons why no-chillers are happy to keep doing it their way, but it's just not for me).[/quote']

Me too. That said, the no-chillers seem to have us on this one, as of those on the forum that do this, I can't remember too many of them complaining about infected brews. unsure

Maybe 'there was something in the air that night Fernando'? lolwink

Cheers,

Lusty.

One that could affect the grain bill.

Using my Mill Master mini mill to mill the grain for my latest Golden Ale

Maris Otter 61%

Munich 25%

Wheat 6%

Crystal 6%

Acid 2.5%

Three kilos down and I top up my 1.5kg hopper from my 19 litre SS pot holding just one handle with my left hand, just as the bit of grain goes in I give the bottom of the pot a couple of taps with my right hand release the grip on the pot with my left had and take the side clean out of my hopper. Roughly 500g onto the garage floor and the rest of the unmilled grain straight into the bucket atop my already milled grain.

I always mix the grain before milling, as some grains are harder than others, so I make up another 500g and re-mill the whole lot.

Cheers & Beers

Valley Brew

Bottling yesterday while trying to entertain my 5 year old........

Picked up a bag of Oxyper (sodium perc) thinking it was Dex and almost starting priming my bottles with it......only realised because of the difference in weight of the bags!

Could only imagine how that would've turned out.

So not a real mistake - but close!

That said' date=' the no-chillers seem to have us on this one, as of those on the forum that do this, I can't remember too many of them complaining about infected brews. [img']unsure[/img]

Never had an infected brew that I could attribute to the no-chilling method. I did have a minor mould in one batch that came from an infected yeast starter, but I was able to save the batch. I even no-chill my yeast starters now and have had no issues - although the yeast is pitched as soon as they get to room temp rather than being left for days or weeks.

Incidentally, that infected starter was covered with glad wrap. That's twice in my brewing history that I have used glad wrap to cover a fermentation and twice the results have been f@%$@d. Y'all can keep it. lol

That said' date=' the no-chillers seem to have us on this one, as of those on the forum that do this, I can't remember too many of them complaining about infected brews. [img']unsure[/img]

Never had an infected brew that I could attribute to the no-chilling method. I did have a minor mould in one batch that came from an infected yeast starter, but I was able to save the batch. I even no-chill my yeast starters now and have had no issues - although the yeast is pitched as soon as they get to room temp rather than being left for days or weeks.

Incidentally, that infected starter was covered with glad wrap. That's twice in my brewing history that I have used glad wrap to cover a fermentation and twice the results have been f@%$@d. Y'all can keep it. lol

I had an infected brew the second time I used my plate chiller. 100% sure it was the chiller, you need to way more pedantic with these than any other brewing equipment, I haven't been caught again. Basically after chilling the brew you need to back flush the wort side with water, I do this for 10 minutes using the water out for clean up. Before using the chiller I flush with boiling water, fill and soak with PBW solution, flush with boiling water and then soak in Starsan.

I only no chilled once, straight into the FV, placed in the fridge set at 20 degrees and pitched the yeast the next day, no infection problems at all.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Archived