Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder what it was.. Might be worth having a look in your ball valve in any case to see if there's junk in there. Also, when cleaning these as I mentioned, very very important to not open it fully when flushing with your boiling water or in my case, blasting with the hose, as the cavities to the sides of the ball are bypassed when fully open, meaning they will not be cleaned, and you will get build-up of old wort in there. Cleaning it halfway open is the go.

I could detect a vinegary type smell in it, so I'm guessing it was acetobacter. How the hell it got in there is a mystery though. This brew was done probably about a month ago and was just sitting there perfectly fine minding its own business and now it suddenly gets infected and blows the tap out? The lid was on properly and the tap was tightly screwed into the bung hole. Weird.

The pilsner batch was brewed after this failed one, and it has been fine, but only been in the cube for a bit over a week as it was brewed on Good Friday. I'll definitely be taking the ball valve apart before the next brew day and giving it a good clean just to eliminate that potential issue from the next one though.

Cheers

Kelsey

I was actually contemplating cubes!

Although I was told by a fellow brewer that you cant do 78 degree flame out wirlpools hop additions...

The 78 flame out additions aparrantly leave zero IBUs... I did one on my second pale ale batch plus a dry hop on day four.

Do you normally do a 30 min flame out before cubing, or strait after flame out to rid any risk of wild yeasts?

I never leave it sit that long before putting it in the cube, usually 15 minutes max, though I'm considering going out to 20 minutes just to give the trub a tad more time to settle. You can't cube it straight after flameout because all the hot break material is still floating around in the wort, and you really don't want that shit in your fermenter.

This is the first one in about 45 batches that has had this problem, so it's likely a one off, considering the one after it was ok, but it's a bit sad losing a batch that hasn't even had the chance to be turned into beer yet. crying

I'll give that cube another go after it has been washed out properly; it's soaking in perc currently. But maybe this time I'll leave it somewhere outside under a blanket so if the same thing happens at least there won't be a mess in the freaking laundry.

I got home to find after just one day of fermentation my next pils batch is already sporting a healthy trub layer and a frothy krausen head - all at a breezy 14.5 C. Only... maybe it wasn't a breezy 14.5. The STC seems to have reverted to a variance of 3 degrees. Whut. I'm sure there's no way I could have misconfigured it yesterday...

When the variance is exceeded, does it bring the temp back down to the target temp or the high end of variance?

It will always bring it back to the target temp. I actually did something like that on the last batch. I had the variance set to a bit over 2C when I had the probe just dangling in the fridge while cold crashing a yeast starter, then when I put the batch in I changed it to 18C, but forgot to change the variance. It got down to 18C, then an hour or so later it was up around 20C and I thought the fridge had carked it. lol

Well I decided to throw that offending cube out, or at least use it for something other than brewing. Can't get the tap to fit in tightly without it slipping out of the thread, and the bung doesn't want to go in properly either. I'm also wary of it since it's already had an infection, and it's not like the things are expensive to replace.

Looking at the threads in the cubes themselves, these new ones are deeper than my original two 25 litre ones which is causing the issue with the taps (they fit perfect into the old ones). When they are sitting tightly in the thread, they're upside down which is useless, so I will just leave the bungs in the remaining ones and keep the taps for other things, maybe use them to replace the FV tap every so often.

I might look at BMW Plastics website or something and see if I can order directly - the taps are made by them, so the threads on their cubes would fit them properly, unlike the ones I have that are made by other mobs. They need to be in tightly due to the hot wort. I could get 25 litre cubes from Bunnings by BMW but they're dyed blue and I'm a bit wary of it potentially leeching and making the brew taste a bit weird, although I did do a few lager batches a couple of years back in a blue cube without any problem.

I prefer having taps in them because it's easier to transfer into the FV, it's less messy as it doesn't glug everywhere, and I don't have to hold the damn thing the whole time either. But, I'll make do with what I have for now, and look at different options when the time comes to replace them again.

Cheers

Kelsey

This page should be called....

The little things that piss me off!

Not sure whats worse...loosing a cube to infection like you did or brewing complete double batch @26 degrees like numnuts here,

Probley the 26 degrees Kelsey because some idiot such as myself will be drinking knowing it could have been liquid gold... you can erase it and just move on!

I threw cracked crystal grain in with my FV Coopers sparkling after 'boiling' it for 15 mins. I have no idea how it's going to taste cause I literally just bottled it. What makes me remember I did this? Try bottling with a bag of grain in your wort.. annoyed

Hey Otto! What's this 6 hour thing? I must be missing something

I dunno... I think I'd prefer a batch fermented too high than what turned out to be 6 hours wasted brewing a batch that I didn't even get to ferment at all. crying

At least you can blend the high fermented beer with another beer to sort of dilute the crappyness a bit. tongue

I brew all grain from scratch, so factoring in the mash time, boil time and all the other stuff that happens in between plus the clean up afterwards it adds up to about 6 hours.

It can be done quicker than that but I'm in no great rush since I brew on Saturdays and start about 8am.

I prefer having taps in them because it's easier to transfer into the FV' date=' it's less messy as it doesn't glug everywhere, and I don't have to hold the damn thing the whole time either. But, I'll make do with what I have for now, and look at different options when the time comes to replace them again.[/quote']

G'day Kelsey,

Bad luck about the infected batch. I'm still waiting for my first infected cube from no-chilling. I'm sure sooner or later it'll happen to me ... seems to be inevitable in the end with this technique. I give my cubes a long soak in Sodium Perc, rinse well and then Starsan thoroughly, and store about 5 litres of Starsan in the cube in between batches. Despite this, I'm sure I'll get an infected one someday.

I'm wondering though, do you have the tap installed when you fill the cube with hot wort? I'd be pretty wary of doing that in case it popped out. Seems like the bungs are a bit sturdier and better at handling heat. You could always fill the cube with the bung in, then when you come to transfer to the fermenter, turn it on its side and install a well-sanitized tap.

Hope it doesn't happen again though Kelsey!

Cheers,

John

The taps are, or were, installed the whole time yes. They were perfectly fine in the old cubes, when I could tighten them in properly. Even with squeezing the air out they stayed in place ok. Those cubes were often only cleaned by way of a couple of cold water rinses followed by a few hot water rinses, then left until the next use. No Starsan, no soaking in perc or whatever. I figured the hot wort would kill pretty well everything anyway. Never had any problems. Then I get this bloody thing that has been cleaned out with perc at least, likely Starsan as well and it gets infected. I suspect it got in through the tap perhaps not sealing perfectly.

However it got in there, it took about 4-5 weeks to do so; if it was in there sooner then I would have lost it sooner.

I had two thoughts about what I could do. One is your suggestion, only thing is it would mix all the muck in the bottom back into the wort. Spose I could let it sit 10 or 15 mins to settle again though while I prepare other things like the FV etc. but if the tap won't go in properly it may leak. The other thing I thought of was having the taps in - but having them in their upside down position where they are nicely tightened in, then simply turning them back the right way when it comes time to fill the FV. This way they won't get a chance to really leak in the upright position because they'll be draining wort as soon as they are turned around.

Not sure which way I'll go yet... I know Craftbrewer sells FWK's that are in cubes made by the same mob who make the taps, so they would probably fit better in those ones.. might pick up a couple next time the cubes need replacing, ferment the brews and keep the cubes.

And thanks mate... I hope not either! lol

Cheers

Kelsey

Just had my first fail! On my third brew, first one without my brewing buddy. Not with the beer itself luckily, but i just came home from the brew shop with an alcometer for use with spirits, instead of a hydrometer. Bloody should have takes a closer look at the thing haha.

Already got a brew on though so won't really need it till I start the next one.

Only been in the fv 9 days so I'm not rushing to bottle. It tastes so good though i want it now haha.

It's an Australian pale ale hopped with citra and galaxy btw. didn't quite fill to 23L to hopefully increase some flavours, an I think it worked cos I'm really pleased with the way it's tasting already.

Fingers crossed nothing more drastic than this happens again, I'm sure it will though

Aha, no wonder it didn't make sense. I'm only an extract brewer!

Cheers mate

[/i]Otto Von Blotto]I brew all grain from scratch' date=' so factoring in the mash time, boil time and all the other stuff that happens in between plus the clean up afterwards it adds up to about 6 hours.

It can be done quicker than that but I'm in no great rush since I brew on Saturdays and start about 8am. [/quote']

Definitely wrong...

I'm putting it down to a combination of too many fermentables, not enough time in the primary and then being left to sit in a house during the summer since November last year. Not clever by any stretch of the imagination. I ended up turfing the whole carton as there were a number that were exhibiting a "bulged lid". Best to be on the safe side for sure.

I've also heard that using too many carb drops in cold crashed beers can lead to similar issues. I've gone down to one carb drop for most partial and BIAB beers in the bigger bottles now and its working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I heard an almighty crash form somewhere, I investigated the kitchen, nothing, hmm I wonder if it came from outside? Walk outside to the beer cave and here's one of my FV's laying on it's side FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

The glass in the bottom of my brew fridge gave out under the weight of two FV's. It looked pretty thick and only fills in half of the bottom of the fridge so only really supports one and some of the other FV's weight but alas I fail.

Good news is I only lost about two litres (through the airlock hole) of the bootmaker that has been going for 13 days, the other FV with a 6 day old APA in it slid off the back shelf part of the fridge and landed upright. Luckily my FV's have screw on lids and the screw in taps didn't snap off.

The fridge now has a modded wire rack with support in place. Don't trust the glass.

Archived