Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taste someone elses brew made with honey - tasted like detergent. Put me off adding honey to my own brews till this day.

I suspect is wasn't any fault due to the honey though. Still...scared for lifeunsure

I'm gonna have a stab in the dark here and guess that you have not left the keg long enough for it to naturally carbonate. It's the same timeframe to do that in a keg as it is in a bottle - you can't just put the priming sugar in and then refrigerate it straight away as you'll only cause the yeast to go dormant and not ferment anything. Adding extra sugar won't help if the yeast is dormant, it will only do what it has done - make the beer too sweet. The other option of course, is force carbonating it, in which case you don't need to add any sugar. All the carbonation comes from your CO2 bottle.

The reason I'm guessing this is due to a couple of other posts of yours about trying to have a beer ready 3 or 4 days after pitching the yeast. Is it possible? Yes. Will it turn out very good? Not bloody likely. PATIENCE along with the Beer Triangle is key to decent and enjoyable beer. wink

Take your foot off the gas a bit in regard to timeframes, your beer will thank you for it and you will enjoy it a lot more I'd imagine.

Cheers

Kelsey

dont wana be leaving it in the keg for 2weeks i thought kegging it was quicker than bottling thats why i changed after bottling for 2 n a half years my uncle reckons his is done in 2-3 days he dose a larger mixed with a draught a kilo n a half suger in the wort for 2-3 and then in the fridge gassed and drank ive tried it n it taste killa clear also thats y i switched thats y i bin askin if i can speed it up so any ideas would b good cheers mate

Perhaps we could all respect the title of this thread for its true purpose. There's no problem airing people's questions and concerns' date=' but this may not be the proper thread for that.[/quote']

Come One Mr rightful

You know it's nothing like that around here.

Cheers

good point mate considering im asking shit so i dont muck it up lol trial and error its called fail thread (MISTAKES YOU'VE MADE) yeah? so otto hit me up if ya can help out man cheers

Thanks so much for your co-operation' date=' river roo. Perhaps I expected too much from your obviously over-worked brain cell so allow me to suggest there is an easily grasped pragmatic distinction between "[i']trial[/i]" and "error"; perhaps English is your second language. In the most simplistic of terms to assist your limited comprehension of this content: "trial" is for another thread; "error" could be appropriately posted here.

Think I've just had my first fail......

My Russian Imperial Stout has been in the fermenter for 12 days now, pulled the krausen collar off a few days ago, smelled great, had a look today and there are a few white spots on top and it now smells a bit sour.............

Bugger.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been experimenting with malts/grains these past few months and having some fun and creating some tasty beers.

Well recently I came across Belgium Special B, which seemed to offer nice notes of raisins, prunes and toffee.

My recent learning appears to be using too much Belgium Special B grain in a steep. Used 250grams which was probably 150grams too much. Now the American Brown Ale tastes like buttery raisins - thats all I can taste. Only another 25 x 740ml bottles to go. sad

Oh dear.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now..

Just spent over an hour trying to get my wort cool in the sink. After an hour it's still no where near a reasonable temp for pitching so I'm starting to get worried. 20 mins later it hasn't budged and I'm stressing.

Yep, was looking at the Fahrenheit numbers.

The first time I attempted to boil hops, I put them in a metal strainer and sat it ontop a boiling pot of water, only for the hops to rise in the water and over the side into the main body of water, creating a big hoppy mush mess. Trial and error!

This was mentioned in another thread but the overcarbing of my first kegged beer definitely qualifies as a fail. Probably wasted about a third of it trying to solve the bloody foaming issues at the start, hence it ran out yesterday and now I have nothing on tap until this latest pilsner is kegged. lol

I'll be using a slightly different method to carbonate this one. Sort of a cross between set and forget and fast carbing.

This was mentioned in another thread but the overcarbing of my first kegged beer definitely qualifies as a fail. Probably wasted about a third of it trying to solve the bloody foaming issues at the start' date=' hence it ran out yesterday and now I have nothing on tap until this latest pilsner is kegged. [img']lol[/img]

I'll be using a slightly different method to carbonate this one. Sort of a cross between set and forget and fast carbing.

It took me a couple of efforts to get this right. First keg not carbed enough, shook the sh*t out of it and overcarbed. Have also managed to suck beer up the air line during force carbing. Have also tried natural carbing with mixed results.

Much prefer the set and forget method. That way you can check in on the keg periodically for "research purposes".

• 2 weeks later...

my first worthy F-up.

first time putting down 2 brews simultaneously in my temp controlled brew fridge with heat pad inside, one on top shelf (English bitter), the other on the bottom (sparkling ale). had the temp probe stuck to the top fermenter under a stubbie cooler in my usual fashion, temp set to a perfect 18....

cut to day 3 of ferment and EB has a cranking krausen and the sparking has only reached less than an inch and is shinking.....hmmm. feeling bottom temp seems cooler, so stick on a stubbie cooler onto bottom fermenter, where the temp drops to 16.5, dumb barstard didnt realise the heat will rise to the top of the fridge, swap the probe over and hopefully the sparkling kicks back into life.....

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished tipping 23 litres of what should have turned out to be a very nice hoppy pale ale. sad

Two weeks ago we had a very hot spell of a few days in a row. My brew day was on one of them. I didn't chill the wort enough once mixed & my brew fridge was tied up crash chilling another brew, so I thought I'd leave it to cool overnight & pitch the yeast the next morning. Bad move as it turned out.

Some sort of aceto-bacteria sneakily involved itself in the eventual fermentation. pinched

I've never done that before, & I won't make that mistake again.

Cheers,

Lusty.

That's a shame to hear Lusty! crying In my two stints of home brewing I have yet to tip a batch... I'm hoping to keep it that way but undoubtedly something will happen sooner or later to warrant tipping one, not looking forward to that day at all.

What was the temp of the wort when you'd mixed it all up? Maybe could have temporarily removed the cold crashing batch from the fridge to chill it faster? Guess you've already thought of that in case it happens again though. tongue

That's a shame to hear Lusty! crying In my two stints of home brewing I have yet to tip a batch... I'm hoping to keep it that way but undoubtedly something will happen sooner or later to warrant tipping one' date=' not looking forward to that day at all.[/quote']

Having good practices & a consistent approach usually results in fewer to no problems. I stepped away from mine & that's why I got burnt.

What was the temp of the wort when you'd mixed it all up?

Wort was too high at approx. 25°C to pitch the yeast.

Maybe could have temporarily removed the cold crashing batch from the fridge to chill it faster? Guess you've already thought of that in case it happens again though. tongue

That's what I should have done... whistling

Ohh well' date=' live & learn.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

You probably wouldn't have had any issues pitching the yeast at 25C, it's not terribly high especially if you are able to bring it down reasonably quickly. In the height of summer I regularly pitch (ale) yeast at that temp although it does go straight into the brew fridge and is brought down in a matter of hours and have never noticed any problems in the beers from doing this.

Lagers I pre-chill the cube in the fridge first though.

Archived