Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...any Dickhead that dry hops he fermenter with a dirty old (full) 500 ml stubbie has to take the prize.

I know the slogan for Carlton Draught claims it's "Made from beer"' date=' but I think you're taking that just a little too far with your latest home brewing venture Scottie!

[img']lol[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

gents,

i read this and thought id never do it. i was transferring from FV to a secondary after hooking it up and opening the tap i went to get another beer. on my return there was beer all over the floor! it seemed id left the tap open on the secondary vessel! i lost about 4-5 litres. i will now double check the taps prior to fermenting or transferring in the future!

cheers,

lindsey.

G'day Lindsey

It's such a basic mistake that you read about people doing things like and and you think to yourself the poster must be an absolute moron. And then you do it yourself! I know I have. My theory is that because it is so basic, no-one ever thinks to check and then it affects you! But I do have sympathy for you 'cos no one ever realises how much of a mess 4 or 5 litres makes unless you're the one that has to clean it up.

Welcome to the club, but if you are going to attempt to win the "Idiot of the Year" award, you have a lot to learn (or forget or ignore or whatever).

I think we should ask PB2 to go through this year's entries to determine a winner; and maybe a prize of a prison-type tattoo of the word "LOSER" can be imprinted across my forehead. Ooops. I mean the winner's(?) forehead.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy all,

I thought it would be fitting for my first post to be in the "Fail Thread" hall of fame.

A month ago I bought myself my third fermenter. Buying it only to see how it would go. Its one of those barrel looking ones with an airlock.

Yesterday it was time... I put down (I feel so professional) an Unreal Ale, followed the recipe to the tee. Mind you I got the handbrake involved in the process. I know right...! She was very helpful, made her do the heavy lifting biggrin

So ever thing was going well. Pitched the yeast and then.... I noticed the tap was dripping from the seal surprised what else can go wrong, well I tried to tighten the tap. Only made it worse.

So I've made a quick dash to get my trusty coopers fermenter, I love that thing. I had cleaned and sanitized it since my last brew. Gave it a quick rinse and tipped my brew into the coopers fermenter. WHAT A MESS.

Checked it today, fermenting well. True test will come when I get to try it.

Lesson learned... stick to what works.

• 1 month later...
I'm very proud to have been represented in this thread so well with several honourable mentions and' date=' what I feel should be, a red hot chance for "rookie village idiot of the year". So it is with incredible smugness I submit my entry for the "Barnaby Joyce of Brewing" Trophy.

Just before leaving for another interstate sojourn over the weekend, the Oktoberfest in March AG recipe (Page 59, Post 1161) was bottled in brand spanking new Coopers Sparkling and Pale Ale longnecks I personally emptied with loving gloriosh care. Today I received an SOS call from my beloved whale, Brunhilda, telling me she has heard (and seen the results of) several exploding bottles. She was very concerned and (while she was worried about opening any of the cartons) wanted to know what she should do. Given I'm nearly a thousand kilometres away and they are in the garage but sitting on "indoor/outdoor carpet", I tried to sound confident while saying "it's been nearly a week now so there shouldn't be many more going off now. So leave them alone and don't worry". Apparently, they've had some really horrible hot days in the last week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed there won't be too many more but I have serious doubts.

It's obvious I've stuffed up big time somewhere, but frankly it's not immediately obvious to me where it is, or which combination of things it is. The expected FG was 1.018, and it was 1.016 when it was bulk primed. I aimed to prime at 7g/litre of table sugar, but a slip when measuring out meant it was 7.16 g/litre (ie. 315 grams in 44 litres). I wouldn't have thought that was outlandish for an Octoberfest style using WLP820.

It was fermented for 18 days @ 12C, then cold crashed at 0C (plus/minus 1 degree) for 23 days. Admittedly I normally like to do a diacetyl rest for at least 2 days at 17C, but since asking one of the boys to change the temp controller is akin to asking them to slice off a testicle with a razor blade, I didn't bother.

Still, I'm glad I've fulfilled Brunhilda's prediction when she did my last "husband's performance appraisal". I believe her report said "This man has reached rock bottom; and has continued to dig."

Unfortunately (for the kith and kin) I made it home. And I had promised to clean up the bottle bomb repercussions, dammit! Out of about 40-ish longnecks and 18 stubbies, I've lost at least 10 large bottles (and no stubbies) due to explosions.

Of course, I won't know if any others have pushed up the cap and lost carbonation until they're opened, but I hope to learn a lesson from this, then forget it from old-timers disease, and then learn the lesson again. Ad infinitum.

Hey P2

I never had a bottle bomb when bottling, over cautious would be how I described myself and I was always prepared for the worse. One of the reasons I gave up bottling was that it took just as much time and four times the room to store my bottles. Every bottle separated by large wads of Newspaper, stored on up to four shelves and covered with thick cardboard.

Nowadays I get four or less bottles from a batch and they condition in my fridge at 20 degrees. I do have designs on bottling a Stout (four shades) and an IPA (English) for Winter so it will be interesting to see if I still possess utrem bomb Phobia.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I had a couple of bombs recently in the same batch, but I'm gonna blame that damn S-04 yeastdevil over anything, because in all honesty it seems the most likely culprit. The solution of course, never using it again. Prior to that never had a bomb.

We've all done the leave the tap open malarkey I reckon. In fact I did it yesterday, while filling my urn with water to be boiled for something else. I always leave the tap (or ball valve as it is) half open when it's not in use so it dries properly. Forgot to close it up before filling and had water all over the laundry floor. lol At least it wasn't hot, or worse, wort!

Hi Otto, just wondering why you believe S-04 to be the cause of a bottle bomb?

The reason I ask is I have a batch of cascade pale that's been in the bottle for 10 days, used S-04 for this one. I noticed the FG with this yeast strain was a touch higher than I've had with US-05 and Nottingham. Just hoping I don't have any dramas. Cheers

Had my first brewing fail while bottling -- got a bit crafty and improved the kit bottling cane with a piece of tubing and the rigid pipe from another bottling cane I picked up to look a bit like this:

SyjbGIf.jpg?1

Decided the bottling valve that came with new one would work a bit better than the one that came with a craft kit, so I hooked it all up, cleaned and sanitised, then set up to bottle my brew.

Wasn't really prepared for the increase in pressure/flow (from the increased difference in height) when I started filling the first bottle, so when it started gushing in, my reaction was to quickly lift the cane and shut off the flow of beer. Turns out I hadn't completely pushed the new valve back together properly, since the back pressure from suddenly stopping the flow of beer shot the valve off the end of the cane while it was still inside the first bottle.

Suddenly:

Flood.gif

I still don't understand what happened next -- I'm putting it down to reflexive Beer Fu kicking in, but who knows. Left hand shot up and flicked off the tap before the brain realised what would happen to the brew without a valve on the end of the cane. Pulled out the craft valve, re-sanitised and finished bottling with that.

In the end, I really only lost 1 stubby-sized bottle and a bit, and only because I had no idea how much priming sugar would be left inside that bottle (plus I had to fish part of the first bottling valve out of it).

Hi Lunatic

What Ben said, basically, and I think that's what happened in this case. It's the only batch I've had this issue on and I've used S-04 a few times, but it's enough for me to ditch S-04 in the future, because I don't want to risk it happening again.

Yours sounds like it fermented out properly in the primary though, so you should be fine.

Argh so fricken mad I put on two brews today just went and checked after 10ish hours and found a massive puddle in my chest freezer..... A few swear words were said.. the littlies were woken and put back to bed and then the mess cleaned...

Looks like I bumped the tap when I put the fv in lost 7L all up...

SPEWING.

• 2 weeks later...

Bottling day last night. Sanitised all my bottles and was just about to start filling them when I looked up on the counter and spotted my little measure of sanitiser sitting there on the counter.

Yep, I'd just spent all that time "sanitising" my bottles with water. *sigh* - start again.

Bottling day last night. Sanitised all my bottles and was just about to start filling them when I looked up on the counter and spotted my little measure of sanitiser sitting there on the counter.

Yep' date=' I'd just spent all that time "sanitising" my bottles with water. [i']*sigh*[/i] - start again.

I hated bottling! You can't beat draught beer.

I hate it too, but it's the only option for me right now.

However, Dad is thinking about replacing the old fridge and freezer in the laundry with a combined unit, so I might be able to score either the fridge or freezer to use for kegs. If so, I will definitely take the opportunity. Until then I'm happy to wait and continue bottling, because whether it's bottled or kegged it's still awesome beer! w00t

Leaking f...ing cube you mother pucker mucker, why?????

Fermenting freezer is full, why now???

Pitch saison yeast?

Nope, pull out FV with Big Red - nearly done in 3 days - and leave that on the bench to the mercy of hot temps.

Bugger, bugger, bugger....

• 4 weeks later...

Been away from the forums for a bit, came back to share a brewing fail.

Was gearing up to pitch a cubed brew that had been sitting around since Jan. Gave the fridge a really good clean, cleaned the fermenter twice since it had been sitting out in the open for a while, sanitised all my equipment and grabbed the cube. About 45 minutes in by this stage.

Odd, cube lid is sitting at a weird angle. Did I cross-thread it? Meh, as long as it's still sealed it shouldn't matter too much.

Couldn't see it from the outside, but I open it up and it looks like a kombucha scoby floating on top.

0peGDqb.gif

Thinking I probably over-tightened the lid in my anxiousness to ensure a proper seal and didn't notice. Irony, and all that.

Bollocks! Just have to make a start on the stouts now that the brewing schedule has moved up by 2 weeks!

Archived