Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

Roughly 500g onto the garage floor

Haha, I did the same yesterday!

BTW NEVER had an infection I would attribute to no chill.

In fact, have not had a bad batch since I bought the crown urn

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Not a total fail, but was mixing up a yeast starter earlier for the pouch of 1469 I got last week, which is going into the next ESB due to be pitched Monday. Calculated I needed a 2L starter in order to be able to harvest 800mL of the starter and leave enough cells behind for the fermentation.

So I'm weighing out the DME and I've only got 140g left in the bag when I needed 200g. pinched Rather than make a mad dash to the LHBS I simply added 60g dextrose to bring it up to around 1.040. Not preferred but given it's a majority of malt extract it shouldn't cause any real issues. I'll go get another couple of bags of DME next week some time.

(newbie brewer from Sweden here)

Got my big brewing kit yesterday and did a thorough sanitation of all parts (even the bottles and caps). Poured sugar and hot water into the bowl, but when I was to put the Ginger Beer concentrate in I dropped the whole can into the bowlcrying (that can has a paper label on it)

Well, it's brewing right now so we'll see how it goes.

(newbie brewer from Sweden here)

Got my big brewing kit yesterday and did a thorough sanitation of all parts (even the bottles and caps). Poured sugar and hot water into the bowl' date=' but when I was to put the Ginger Beer concentrate in I dropped the whole can into the bowl[img']crying[/img] (that can has a paper label on it)

Well, it's brewing right now so we'll see how it goes.

I have done that before and it turned out fine.

Not a total fail' date=' but was mixing up a yeast starter earlier for the pouch of 1469 I got last week, which is going into the next ESB due to be pitched Monday. Calculated I needed a 2L starter in order to be able to harvest 800mL of the starter and leave enough cells behind for the fermentation.

So I'm weighing out the DME and I've only got 140g left in the bag when I needed 200g. [img']pinched[/img] Rather than make a mad dash to the LHBS I simply added 60g dextrose to bring it up to around 1.040. Not preferred but given it's a majority of malt extract it shouldn't cause any real issues. I'll go get another couple of bags of DME next week some time.

I've done this a couple of times (deliberately) with no ill effects. Given I've used the suggested pure sugar/dextrose for re-activation of CCA yeast many times without incident, I'm probably a little more at ease with its use in this area than some.

And for those maltose falcons tongue out there...

Joel Cairo: You always have a very smooth explanation ready.

Sam Spade: What do you want me to do' date=' learn to stutter?[/quote']

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've never done it before but the yeast have taken off and multiplied; the starter is much more opaque now (and earlier when I left for work) than it was when I pitched the yeast into it last night. Stir plate will go off tonight and I'll leave the starter sit there until Saturday when I stir it all up again to harvest some then it'll be going in the fridge for a crash chill to be pitched Monday. happy

So 'cause of general ineptitude I had to add extra fermentables 4 days in to my current pils batch. The penny also dropped - at some point in my rough arithmetic working out ratios for a 10l batch size - that in terms of LME, grams and mls are very different.

Long story short, I have no freakin' clue how much booze is in this beer and probably never will!

If I listed all the stupid things I've done (not only in brewing) no one would think I was worth paying attention to when I give advice or share my experience.

I maintain, the only bad mistake one can make is not to learn from your mistakes.

I'm yet to meet anyone who's never made a mistake, but I've met plenty of people who like to pretend they're perfect - they're the one's you need to avoid & if they give advice, take it with a grain of salt.

So 'cause of general ineptitude I had to add extra fermentables 4 days in to my current pils batch. The penny also dropped - at some point in my rough arithmetic working out ratios for a 10l batch size - that in terms of LME' date=' grams and mls are very different.

Long story short, I have no freakin' clue how much booze is in this beer and probably never will![/quote']

There are formulas to work out how much sugars you've added, & to work out the gravity etc, if you're at all concerned about it.

If not, then chalk it down to experience.

You never know, it may turn out to be one of your better brews.

I frequently surprise myself when I do something different on the spur of the moment, usually in a good way.

I was bottling outside today and the FV got a bit of sunlight over the half-an-hour or so. I didn't think it'd affect such a large volume so quickly, but there was a definite skunky musk going on from the yeast at the bottom afterwards and I wouldn't be surprised if the beers taste a little skunked. It's not the end of the world but I'm hoping it's not too bad considering how bloody good it tasted when I kicked off this arvo.

Made a beautiful golden ale mid last week, malt bill:

Grain

2.9 Maris Otter

1 Weyermann Vienna

1 Rye Malt

0.2 Carahells

0.2 Acid Malt

0.314 Flaked Oats

Hops Amarillo for bittering and flavour, Galaxy and EKG, for flavour and aroma.

Noticed a slight burnt flavour coming out 3/4's of the way through the boil. Thought, that's odd, could it be the hops, probably not..

When I had racked to cube I noticed instead of the usual slight brown coating on my electric element, there was a thick black coating. My mistake was to run a protein rest at 50c, as I usually do, but to stir it up before raising the temp, where huge clouds of starch went into the wort from what I suspect was the rye. When googling scorched wort, rye almost always seems to be involved and I had 1kg of it in this. So when cranking it to 66 mash temp, the element has gone and got itself coated with layers of burnt rye starch, which then really started to burn about 30 to 40 mins into the boil. At least that's when I noticed the smell.

So what was going to be a cracker golden ale now has a slight burnt flavour to it. I think this will be my first tip it out batch...

Anyway, we live and learn. Next time I'll forget the protein rest for a mash like this, or just not stir it up before the ramp if there's rye in there. It's just that the 50c protein rest has been easy to do with my electric RIMS system controlled by the STC1000, and I have confirmed that it pretty much eliminates chill haze.

After enjoying a few home brews I decided to start making a 'Boonies LCPA' at bedtime last night.

I've never used Liquid malt before so proceeded to burn it in the boil, wort tastes ok so may have got away with it.

Then not having any water chilled, I ended up chopping up Coke bottles full of frozen water (unsanitized) and chilling the wort with the ice blocks. Realising it would end up too cold, I quickly sanitised my new stainless BBQ tongs and fished the remaining unmelted ice out.

Generally a debacle but we will see how the brew turns out.

Well not exactly a fail on my part although I suppose I have to take some of the blame for it...

As posted in the FV thread, I lost a cube of ESB sometime overnight to most likely infection of some type getting in and starting to ferment it. Thankfully it didn't explode the cube, only blew the tap out of the thread. Not sure exactly how whatever it was got in there, as my process was no different to any of the other batches I've done over the last 3 and a half years, but maybe I just got a real hard to kill bug that somehow survived the boil, I don't know.

It's rather a let-down, not just for the fact of losing an entire batch before it even got in the FV but it's also resulted in me now having to ferment my Bo Pils with 1469 Yorkshire Ale yeast. pinched

So I guess I'll be kegging a batch of English Special Bohemian Pilsner in 3 weeks time... lol

That's a shame Kelsey.. I often look at my cubes the next morning wondering if one day I'll see evidence of gas building up, unusual that it actually happened to you. Do you sanitise your cubes? I note that they do build up a coating inside after a few uses, so when I see this I fill them up with water with some oxy, DiSan, or sod perc etc. You need to leave it open though, or it will build up so much oxygen it will blow.

You would think bugs would be killed with the 90deg wort going in there, but yeah maybe some survive that, the ones that are responsible for the advice about boiling water for a period of a few minutes to make sure everything is dead, or the reason they autoclave stuff like dental instruments and yeast storage vials at higher pressure to go to more like 120degC.

Sorry to hear about the brew Kelsey. sad

Well not exactly a fail on my part although I suppose I have to take some of the blame for it…

Well I know I'm not taking any blame for it! tongue

Hairy's a good sport. Maybe he will take some of the blame for you? unsure

...Thankfully it didn't explode the cube' date=' only blew the tap out of the thread. Not sure exactly how whatever it was got in there, as my process was no different to any of the other batches I've done over the last 3 and a half years, but maybe I just got a real hard to kill bug that somehow survived the boil, I don't know.[/quote']

Was it you that recently mentioned you bought some new cubes, & went on to say you had some trouble filling one & pushing out the airspace? Was this the brew, & any chance that caused a problem? unsure

Apart from that, I'd just chalk it up to an anomaly.......Neo. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes I gave that one a soak in sodium perc before I used it, filled it a bit over half way then dumped in some perc and put the lid on loosely, next day drained, and repeated the process except this time turned it upside down with the tap open to allow venting. Can't remember if I star sanned it on the brew day or not now, I probably did although I don't always do that.

It was definitely infected though, when I opened the lid to pour what was left down the drain, there was a kind of sour/vinegary smell about it. Pretty yuck to be honest. Still, probably not a bad record for 3 and a half years of no-chilling.

I did buy new cubes recently Lusty, and surprisingly it wasn't the one that I had trouble with the tap on that was the culprit here. That one contained the pilsner batch which was fine and now in the FV with the wrong yeast lol but we'll see how it turns out.

What temp do you transfer to cube Kelsey? After about 15 mins after flamout with lid off on kettle mine seems to run about 88 to 91c into the cube.

Also when was the last time you pulled the ball valve apart to clean it?

I must admit, i've only done this twice in almost 30 batches, but when I did it recently, it was pretty clean.

I think this is because when I'm cleaning the kettle, I flush the ball valve very well with water from the garden hose, but I do it partially open not fully open, because if you've seen inside one of these, the area where the KRudd can build up, is only exposed partially open not fully open.

I have heard of contaminations stemming from ball valves with KRudd in them.

Sorry to hear about the brew Kelsey. sad
Well not exactly a fail on my part although I suppose I have to take some of the blame for it…

Well I know I'm not taking any blame for it! tongue

Hairy's a good sport. Maybe he will take some of the blame for you? unsure

Yeah, I will take 25% of the blame in order to ease your burden a little. But you are only allowed to bring it up for the next three months and then the slate is wiped clean.

Yeah mine normally get transferred around that temp as well Headmaster. I measured it on one batch after it sat for 15 minutes and it was sitting at 92C. I take the ball valve apart and clean it every 4 or 5 batches to keep on top of that, as I have noticed crap build up in it in the past. It does have boiling water run through it each batch though as part of my overall urn cleaning process.

Thanks Hairy. tonguelol

Archived