Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

2 FV's in the fermeezer.

One clearly not finished - big krausen - one with no krausen.

Dry hop time, 20g mosaic into the one with the krausen, even though I checked gravity and it clearly was not finished. Derr.

That one was due to have Nelson and Amarillo.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely I am not the only one?

A few weeks ago had a mash going in the esky. Went to the laundry to bottle a brew and hear water running in the kitchen. Hmm, sounds like rain. Go and have a look and the floor is covered in warm sticky sugar.

Lost a couple of litres and put the bung back in the esky.

Well. I will admit to this boo boo.

A few weeks ago I was moving a FV full (23L)of yet un yeasted wort to the preferred fermenting spot. I tripped and spilt the whole lot on to the floor. This can happen when one thinks they are still young and agile, and have enjoyed one too many celebratory ales on brew day.

There goes the Hefeweizen pinched. So I bought a six pack of Four Pines Hefeweizen from the local liquor mega warehouse. Not the same, though.

Bottled a cascade APA on Saturday morning, and immediately put down an IPA with amarillo and citra. I checked it on Monday morning and found that i forgot to plug the fridge back into the ST1000. I had been cold crashing the APA!!! Beer doesn't ferment at 1.5 C apparentlycrying

All good now and things were cracking along by Wednesday.

Good thread benny boysmile

Modesty forbids me, & it would be rather unfair of me to occupy ALL of the allocated space for this thread by listing them all, & preventing anyone else from being able to post. lol

Hehe! biggrin

Seriously, not that many brewing ones, but more than my share of forum-based ones! whistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

Ben, I can honestly say that I'd put this little exercise right out of my head, until I interrogated my memory cells and remembered a HUGE disaster - all done in the attempt to save a few bob.

It was probably about 10 years back, and I was regularly putting down K & K's in Autumn and Spring (didn't have temp control then). Also didn't have time to do anything more exciting or elaborate. My staple brew was a Cooper's can and a kilo of BE - cost around $17 or so, bought from BigW.

Then one day I saw they were running a massive special on another brand of kit, but I really cannot remember the brand on it. Anyway, they were dirt cheap - like around $6 for the goop, some dextrose, bottle caps, sodium met, and a few other things too. So I filled a trolley with them!

Looking back, the brews I produced from them were almost undrinkable. But I persisted - after all, I'd got a bargain, and to discard the remaining kits would be to lose out big time.

I now realise that the reason BigW was flogging off the stuff was because, apart from the probable dubious nature of the ingredients to start with, it was all hopelessly out-of-date, and S T A L E !!! Heaven knows why it even fermented, as the yeast sachets, for all I know, were stuffed to start with.

So the enduring lesson, as has been stated once or twice, is to use fresh quality ingredients. And while my motive early on was to make cheap beer, now it is most certainly to produce good beer.

Like the old saying goes: “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

I haven't had many problems but one that I tend to be doing more recently (read as I get older) is wandering off into a daydream half way through filling a bottle rolleyes.

I'm suddenly brought back to earth when I feel my feet getting wet w00t.

I wasn't paying attention & mixed up level marks thus filling to 24 litres on my now bottled mocked up Canadian blonde. Only new so plenty more to come ( hopefully not)

That fail resulted in 3 extra stubbies

I like that way of thinking nick

Lacklustre sanitisation leading to the loss of a Hop Slam IPA (using Citra and Centennial). Still not happy, and that was about 5 months ago.

Failing at reading the instructions properly before starting a Chocolate Ale, and COMPLETELY botching the receipe. Turned out okay in the end, but still....

Not making more of a good brew and persisting in drinking crap ones that I've made as a punishment for making a crap beer.

Deciding to try the Munton's Yorkshire bitter after two years of successful brewing with the Coopers offerings. My advice to all brewers stick with the Coopers range. If you feel like a change then dress up the APA, Draught or IPA kit.

Deciding to try the Munton's Yorkshire bitter after two years of successful brewing with the Coopers offerings. My advice to all brewers stick with the Coopers range. If you feel like a change then dress up the APA' date=' Draught or IPA kit. [/quote']

That is a very interesting opinion, Scottie.

I find the much maligned Cooper's Lager tin to be very good for dressing up. It is the lowest in bitterness and colour of the TC range and readily available. Even Dr Smurto once used the lager tin with his famous golden ale.

I just tipped out 16 long necks of wheat beer because it wasn't up to scratch. It wasn't undrinkable but I didn't enjoy it, so down the sink it went.

It may be wasteful but I am not a huge drinker and would rather drink good beer.

Archived