Coopers Community

Fail Thread (mistakes you've made)

ben 10

My home yeast strain got me again.

Fortunately it doesn't happen too often and I cannot remember the last time it did actually.

I can taste it in this brew however.

I wonder what I did wrong? I guess I didn't clean something well enough.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No brewing today - everything was going to plan until just now.

* Go to LHBS and buy M44 West Coast Ale yeast - CHECK

* Make 2L starter 24hrs in advance- CHECK

* Chill 10.5L of water in brew fridge to 4C - CHECK

* Freeze 2L of water in sanitised containers - CHECK

I planned to brew after I got the kids to bed so I checked my recipe and started to get my extract, grains and hops ready.

Citra, Centennia and Cascade. Uh oh. Cascade...

I bought 100gm of it in my last iBrew order, specifically for this brew. I forgot that I used 80gm of it up in my first AG BIAB beer, a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.

So I'm out of Cascade and don't have suitable substitutes. Annoying thing is I was in LHBS, bought my yeast form the fridge and even glanced up at the bags of hops hanging on the hooks.

FAIL! I'll have to cold crash this starter, get my 100gm Cascade and brew one weeknight this week.

Could've been worse though, glad I checked before I started.

Julian

That's alright Ruddy, I pitched the yeast into my porter at 30.5C or whatever yesterday since I had no time to chill the cube first. Of course, it went straight into the brew fridge set to 19C and got down in a matter of hours but yeah.. would have preferred to pitch closer to the ferment temp.

Lucky you kelsy

I had one brew last year get way from me without using the fridge!

It fermented at 26 degrees and was horrid...tipped a 19 litre keg and some bottles yuk...

Personaly even saisons over 23degree... disagree with me!

High Phenols send me night mares

Amen that!

Temperature control is a must mate!

Got over kill fermenting options these days...

tipping kegs out ant fun at all, most of us wombats learn from our own mistakes...

But the smarter ones lean from others!

Once bitten twice shy

I've been fermenting in a temp controlled fridge for a bit over 4 years now, and I refuse to brew anything without it anymore, which means I can only ferment one batch at a time. My stocks normally take a hit around the Xmas/new year period but I'm happy to buy beer for a month out of the year while I get my home brew stocks back up again after the holiday season. It's a good opportunity to try new beers too. cool

• 1 month later...

Ultra-lawnmower

300g CaraMalt steeped for 30 mins

10g Citra @ 20 min

15g Citra @ 10 min

10g Citra @ 5 min

Chilled to about 25deg

added to FV with 1kg LDm & can Coopers Mexican Cervesa

Filled 30 litre FV to 45 litres (not paying attention)

Reduced back to 23l to provide some headspace

OG= 1.024

A little while ago now, had one disaster, fruit flies or something other winged devils got into a batch and turned it into vinegar, I will no longer brew in that FV, not the way intended anyway.

Another batch, my blunder, used cheesecloth for my hops, that had previously been used with yogurt, introduced lacto to my ferment, ended up with a pellicle, it was still drinkable, however I threw it all in the fridge after 2 weeks to inhibit the progress of the unwanted infection, so it didn't develop very well.

No more infections for me.

Cheers

JP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I made a Band-Aid Blonde.

NFI what went wrong.

Tipped it.

Spewin.

Don't put band-aids in your beer you idiot. They don't work very well whirlpooled or dry hopped! tonguelol

Stick with hops & fruit! wink

On a serious note' date=' maybe something up with the harvested yeast? [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

On a serious note' date=' maybe something up with the harvested yeast? [img']unsure[/img]

Possibly. It's nit my "house yeast" that gets in very rarely, I know that flavour.

I have one more jar of that yeast. I smell the yeast when I pitch and I don't recall it being shite...

I had a Pilsener that had been in the fermenter for 2 weeks (early Sept) but didn't seem finished. Used a belt heater for the first time to speed it up and it ended up much hotter than I intended.

I think next time I do lager I'll buy two, use both yeasts in one and then when finished use the trub in the second.

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening lads,

Been kegging kit beer now for over a year, on the most part beers have been quit drinkable. Each brew I've kegged I've kept a ( coopers pet bottle) or two in the cupboard, its dark and temperature doesn't fluctuate.

Just recently I've started chilling these bottles down, starting with the oldest first at 14 months old, and upon pouring finding each beer has turned very dark and tastes nothing like the amber fluid I've been pouring from my fridge. Some have been super carbonated, vinegar notes, cheap wine smell, just gross beer...

any ideas on what could be the cause?

To be perfectly honest' date=' looking at my waistline, my greatest failing, and the biggest mistake I've ever made is taking up homebrewing! [img']biggrin[/img]

Get yourself a smaller fermenter (15 litres) and brew smaller batches. You can brew more, experiment with less fear and will drink less.

Cheers,

John

Archived