Coopers Community

When a Keg Blows

Scottie

• 4 months later...

Well finally get to post in this thread, emptied my first keg tonight. It was my first keg and first one to go, a summer Saison which was bloody beautiful and turned out to so clear with no finings other than in the boil. It’s been replaced with my MT Hood Pilsner and freed the keg up for my Irish Red which is patiently waiting in the Fermenter. Cheers 🍻 

12146AAD-6516-496F-A5AA-8C8952594934.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Well finally get to post in this thread, emptied my first keg tonight. It was my first keg and first one to go, a summer Saison which was bloody beautiful and turned out to so clear with no finings other than in the boil. It’s been replaced with my MT Hood Pilsner and freed the keg up for my Irish Red which is patiently waiting in the Fermenter. Cheers 🍻 

12146AAD-6516-496F-A5AA-8C8952594934.jpeg

always a sad note when the keg blows mate   atleast you still managed to get 3/4 of glass  i usually only get  1/4 of glass at best..

atleasat you have another  waiting in the wings   to take over and i hope it is just as good if not better..

i'll give you a tip  with the drip tray.   alway put a bit of water in it so the beer doesnt get to goey...
and rinse well after a session 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

always a sad note when the keg blows mate   atleast you still managed to get 3/4 of glass  i usually only get  1/4 of glass at best..

atleasat you have another  waiting in the wings   to take over and i hope it is just as good if not better..

i'll give you a tip  with the drip tray.   alway put a bit of water in it so the beer doesnt get to goey...
and rinse well after a session 

Thanks mate been waiting for it to go, looking forward to the new ones I know the Pilsner is nice  and looking forward to the Red as well. Cheers for the tray tip👍

I'm about to keg 2 today, my standards, an XPA clone and my Fixation attempt. I have been a little slack on brewing for a few weeks, confident in my 4 kegs in the fridge giving me time - turned out not to be such a good thing. My only excuse is I've been having a few more than usual of the aches and pains, so I was reluctant to be hauling around 20+ kg's of beer.

I had 1 go a few weeks ago but hey! I got 3 more, right? Then 2 blew in the same glass about a week ago, about 5 days after I'd put these 2 in the FV fridge, so that brought about a rather worried lift of the remaining keg - about half left. Clearly I was doing a good job balancing out my variety of beers over the weeks - to have them all go within such a short time. 😄 

Somehow it has JUST got me to today although not sure how much is left, I think I will might carb these ones. Maybe not as I do have maybe a dozen long necks on the shelf.  Which means I'm going to need to alter my process a bit and start building up a stock of them again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tragedy stuck last night... 2 kegs blew in two pours whilst watching the Origin and footy over the last two nights. I knew one was close, but the other one surprised me. 

Worst part is there is nothing currently in the FV. Poor planning on my behalf!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I get a bit anxious sometimes looking at these photos of shiny new Kegerator's & all of this Keg talk & of course the nice beers. As much as I would love to hurry the process of converting to Kegging I have to take smaller steps due to costs, space allocation & of course a bit more knowledge on the processes.

But one day I feel it will happen as I am constantly filling, emptying, cleaning bottles .... with 4 FV's it's a lot of work. 😫

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yuley said:

Tragedy stuck last night... 2 kegs blew in two pours whilst watching the Origin and footy over the last two nights. I knew one was close, but the other one surprised me. 

Worst part is there is nothing currently in the FV. Poor planning on my behalf!

i have 1 in the fermenter   and its doing ok  ,, all kegs are empty and stupid me has decided to bottle this one and give to a mate  who i owe a slab or so to

arrgh well   this weekend will be brewing for the keg 

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i have 1 in the fermenter   and its doing ok  ,, all kegs are empty and stupid me has decided to bottle this one and give to a mate  who i owe a slab or so to

arrgh well   this weekend will be brewing for the keg 

Tell your mate to wait 🤣  there are times when having mega piles of brewed beers in bottles comes in handy & that's not all of them. 

20210611_115436.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Tell your mate to wait 🤣  there are times when having mega piles of brewed beers in bottles comes in handy & that's not all of them. 

20210611_115436.jpg

The problem is @CLASSIC   he has waited  for half a year already lol....

its all ok  wont be long to get the keggerator filled mate and pumping once again

i'll never have much beer stock piled in bottles  as i preffer kegging to be honest and only really need a small amount of bottles if i want to  bottle a few from the keg

arrrgh bugger it he doesnt know the beer is being brewed for him,  he can wait a batch or 2 more

The problem is @CLASSIC   he has waited  for half a year already lol....

its all ok  wont be long to get the keggerator filled mate and pumping once again

i'll never have much beer stock piled in bottles  as i preffer kegging to be honest and only really need a small amount of bottles if i want to  bottle a few from the keg

arrrgh bugger it he doesnt know the beer is being brewed for him,  he can wait a batch or 2 more

There you go, problem solved, beer now for the long weekend.

14 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Similar issues here - blew two, one beer fermenting

Must be contagious.  I had three go in three days.  I did have two kegs ready to replace them so not all bad.  In fact, I had three kegs ready.  However, one is for my brother.  Still, I had to do the right thing and hook it up to get cold and carbonate for him.  Maybe I took a sample or three.  He wont know.  I have got a Dry Irish Stout ready to keg now.  It will take the spot of my brother's keg sometime this weekend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Maybe I took a sample or three.  

I watched a documentary on Jim Beam production they have a tasting team before it goes to market. Only thing is you need to take tasting notes and wear a lab coat and three samples is for consistency. So don’t feel bad you’re just doing him a favour.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I watched a documentary on Jim Beam production they have a tasting team before it goes to market. Only thing is you need to take tasting notes and wear a lab coat and three samples is for consistency. So don’t feel bad you’re just doing him a favour.

It's all about Quality Control.

17 hours ago, Popo said:

All three were empty here last night. I had 2 ready to keg so I thought I'd try and purge one of them using the gas from one of the empty ones. It seemed to work well.

I have been doing this for a while.  I usually have one keg full of StellarSan.  I wait until I get two empty kegs, still pressurised.  Use them to push out the sanitiser from the first keg into a cube.  I find that one empty keg at 12-15psi is not enough to purge a full keg.  Clean the dirty kegs.  Fill one with sanitiser from the cube.  Push the sanitiser into the third keg.  Then I leave it in there for the next cleaning day.

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have been doing this for a while.    

I think I may have even picked up this idea from you 👍

I rarely have 2 empty at the same time, and only 3 kegs, so i haven't had a chance to make use of this method until now. It seemed like a waste of gas to go from the CO2 bottle but when it's free from the keg, you may as well use it. Interestingly, there was enough gas in the first keg to completely purge the second.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Interestingly, there was enough gas in the first keg to completely purge the second.

I found this the first few times, but not lately.  I only empty out about 3/4's of a keg.  Thinking about it, that might be because the keg full of sanitiser is not pressurised.  If it was also at 12-15psi, this pressure will help empty it. 

On 6/13/2021 at 12:29 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Then I leave it in there for the next cleaning day.

Labeled of course otherwise you might end up with nicely carbed and chilled sanitiser "on tap". 😳

I do something similar but find the gas bottle has to come into play.  Still to work out a system of harvesting my produced CO2 for uses such as this.

One thing I have been toying with is using a vacuum pump to completely evacuate the empty keg first then let the vacuum created suck in as much CO2 it can from the other low pressure source, keg or pressure FV.

Would have to be careful with the amount of vacuum created as kegs would collapse.  I have an aircon vac pump in my kit but it would be way to strong a suction me thinks.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Labeled of course otherwise you might end up with nicely carbed and chilled sanitiser "on tap". 

Sour seltzer?

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Still to work out a system of harvesting my produced CO2 for uses such as this.

If you pressure ferment, connect up to the gas post of a sanitiser filled keg from the spunding tube.  Beer out to something to hold the 19L of sanitiser.  It does not need to be much pressure to push the sanitiser out, less than 5psi will do it.

I would do it if I had space in my smallish fermenting freezer.  I might look into fermenting in a keg.  I can fit two kegs in the freezer, plus a 20L jerry can on the compressor shelf.